• 69 results
#1 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

#2 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Got the first season of those shows on DVD, what should I start watching?

#3 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (740 posts) -

Breaking Bad.

Or The Walking Dead.

But Breaking Bad is the right answer.

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

The Walking Dead, probably. I've meant to start on that myself.

Firefly is pretty good too.

Don't know anything about The Wire.

#5 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -

Awww, you made it a poll. Never mind. I was going to say you should check out Tron: Uprising, but... Yeah, never mind.

#6 Posted by Bane122 (808 posts) -

I'd go Firefly as it's good and pretty short.

#7 Posted by MarcusCoxus (29 posts) -

If you haven't seen Breaking Bad already then watch it over any of these shows. :)

#8 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

The Wire is another stratosphere above these shows. Stop being an idiot and start watching the greatest form of television ever produced.

#9 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

Wonders of the Solar System. Get some science up in here.

#10 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

Firefly is amazing, I've never seen The Wire, and the Walking dead is just too slow in my opinion. It's pacing is horrible.

Therefore I voted for Firefly.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I'm not a fan of Firefly and I haven't seen all of The Wire, but The Walking Dead is okay. The first half of last season was boring, though.

#12 Posted by MentalDisruption (1662 posts) -

The Walking Dead

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I've heard good things about The Wire.

#14 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

Breaking Bad

#15 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Breaking Bad. But The Walking Dead is really good too

#16 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

The Walking Dead because it is still running and could be for some time. FireFly is too short and the story of the show ending prematurely is just plain sad.

#17 Edited by Jazzycola (663 posts) -

@brainboy77 said:

The Wire is another stratosphere above these shows. Stop being an idiot and start watching the greatest form of television ever produced.

I'd have to disagree. The first half of the first season of The Wire is a slog and the last season kind of sucks with the exception of the series finale. Firefly is a great scifi show and Breaking Bad's writing and direction is above The Wire, in my opinion. But I'd put them at the top of their respective genres.

Edit: Woops, I thought the third show was breaking bad not walking dead. My bad disregard last statement. Walking Dead is no where near the quality of The Wire. Entertaining yes but great no.

#18 Posted by LibraryDues (343 posts) -

I love Firefly as much as the next geek, but The Wire is just on a different level. I went into it with unfairly huge expectations (after all, you can only be told its" the greatest TV show ever made" so many times before that sinks in) and it more than lived up to the hype.

#19 Posted by wjb (1687 posts) -

Although I think The Wire is the better show out of the three, it might be good to get Firefly out of the way first since it's only one season. I think The Walking Dead is a terribly written show.

#20 Posted by TheMasterDS (2119 posts) -

From my experience I'd also say Breaking Bad. Of those I'd say Firefly because it's one and done whereas Wire is a commitment. Also I am far more enamored by Firefly than the Wire.

#21 Posted by 49th (2813 posts) -

I say The Walking Dead, it's on-going, simple and fun to watch. Firefly is good but I like it the least of all three (I enjoyed the movie more than the whole show), and I've just started watch The Wire but it seems pretty good too.

#22 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Breaking Bad.

Or The Walking Dead.

Im caught up on Breaking Bad. Wached the first 4 seasons in 2 weeks.

#23 Posted by Milkman (17172 posts) -

Firefly because it's short then The Wire then The Walking Dead, I guess but I can't say I'm a huge fan.

#24 Posted by kindgineer (2789 posts) -

Never could get into Firefly, it didn't start well. I'm currently watching LOST on Netflix and loving it. Out of those 3, however, there's no competition in my mind. The Walking Dead.

#25 Posted by mbr2 (570 posts) -

Since The Wire is the best drama show ever made and the others are not. The answer is simple.

#26 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3505 posts) -

Those are really different shows.

Firefly is so short you should just watch it whenever. I didn't like the Walking Dead season one at all, never saw the second one. Love the comics and the games, for the record.

The Wire... well, hard to say anything new about that show. It's best to watch the seasons back to back so maybe wait until you're ready to make a commitment.

#27 Posted by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -
@mbr2

Since The Wire is the best drama show ever made and the others are not. The answer is simple.

Yup.
#28 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (740 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Breaking Bad.

Or The Walking Dead.

Im caught up on Breaking Bad. Wached the first 4 seasons in 2 weeks.

Good man! Or woman!

#29 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

The Walking Dead all the way. The Wire is also pretty solid.

#30 Posted by Djnuttty (139 posts) -

Twin peaks. Always twin peaks.

#31 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Firefly is just 1 season , you could watch all of it in a couple of days.

#32 Posted by ThePickle (4189 posts) -

Anyone who votes for anything other than The Wire should be automatically banned.

#33 Posted by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

Firefly. The Wire is one of the best series out there but nothing compares to Joss' writing.

#34 Posted by wemibelec90 (1800 posts) -

Firefly will only take you a few days and it is REALLY good. Watching that first and then going to the other stuff on your list seems like the smartest option.

#35 Posted by MetalBaofu (1429 posts) -

I haven't seen The Wire, and I don't like The Walking Dead, so I can only say Firefly. The correct answer, though, would be Sherlock.

#36 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

Firefly would be easy to get through in a few sittings, so do that, then watch the main event... The Wire

as pointed out (many a time) it's easily the best TV show ever made

#37 Posted by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Breaking Bad, but come on, it's not in the same league as The Wire.

#38 Posted by bartok (2574 posts) -

None of those.  You need to watch Homeboys in Outer Space. 

#39 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

Jimmy Kimmel Live!

#40 Posted by ShaggE (6625 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Breaking Bad, but come on, it's not in the same league as The Wire.

How much have you seen of it? Breaking Bad is the definition of "slow burn", after all.

#41 Edited by Edraii (67 posts) -

Mother of god, whats wrong with you people, the wire is really great but... Firefly, watch it now, watch it first... It's also only one season anyway so you wont be left hanging, well, not technically anyway.

And I'll second Sherlock, some of the best TV I've seen recently.

#42 Posted by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Anyone who votes for anything other than The Wire should be automatically banned.

Well, I wouldn't go that far... But anyone who votes for The Walking Dead should be automatically banned, that's for sure. Firefly is short and lots of fun, so I'd give the people voting for that a pass.

#43 Posted by rame (27 posts) -

Start with the Wire that series has ended so you can watch from beginning to end. Then watch Breaking Bad by the time your done they will be starting the second half of the last season. Then Firefly because you'll need some light airy fun show to cleanse your palette from all the death and despair. The go watch some Walking Dead.

These are all great shows that i love'd to pieces, but have to go with the Wire for best show... ever. Sorry Mash.

#44 Posted by jdevlin24t (8 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Definitely Firefly, seeing as how it is only one season you can crank it out quickly and move on to the next on your list, not to mention it is a phenomenal show with an excellent cast of characters that you grow to love. Nathon Fillion's performance is hilarious and bad-ass all at once, while Joss Whedon's directing and writing is excellent and exactly what you'd expect from Joss.

#45 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5854 posts) -

The Wire is pretty good

#46 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -

Firefly

Firefly

FIREFLY

FUCKING FIREFLY!

#47 Posted by Jay_Ray (1116 posts) -

Firefly is the quickest to get through but The Wire IMO is the best.

#48 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

The Walking Dead is, to quote Jeff, hot garbage. It has its high points, but those are so few and far between, and you have to suffer through some kinda shit characters/pacing. Season one is more tolerable than two, though, and it's short.

If you only have the first seasons of those, I'd say Walking Dead first 'cause it's the shortest, I have no opinion on Firefly, and The Wire takes some time, but builds up amazingly well.

#49 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

@brainboy77 said:

I'd have to disagree. The first half of the first season of The Wire is a slog and the last season kind of sucks with the exception of the series finale. Firefly is a great scifi show and Breaking Bad's writing and direction is above The Wire, in my opinion. But I'd put them at the top of their respective genres.

Edit: Woops, I thought the third show was breaking bad not walking dead. My bad disregard last statement. Walking Dead is no where near the quality of The Wire. Entertaining yes but great no.

The Wire goes to places that no show has ever even come close to reaching, in that The Wire existed on a major level to educate its viewers rather than purely entertain. I love Breaking Bad, it's my second favorite show of all time, but you are out of it if you think that the weight of the actions of Walter White match the weight of the actions of all the characters in The Wire. I also vehmently disagree with the assessment on the first season; there's a lot of information to set up the world and it's really hard to do it any other way. You have to let go of any inhibitions and just watch. The fifth season is perfectly fine, I don't understand the hate, and the middle three seasons are the best seasons of television ever produced. Period.

#50 Posted by hawkinson76 (376 posts) -

Season 1 and 2 of the wire were amazing. After that it just got too... heavy for me. I think all stories should end, which is why I went with Firefly. I don't like the endless march of television shows.