what u do about weed smoke bro

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

( Don't get excited, the title is just a reference.)

Look. I don't care if people want to toke up. In fact there's probably a bunch of rap songs and movies I like that wouldn't exist if people didn't. Frankly, I'd rather throw back a glass of bourbon, but to each their own. It's not particularly dangerous, and it should probably just be legal. But like pretty much anything people enjoy doing, there's a totally acceptable way of doing it and there's the I'm-the-only-asshole-on-earth way of doing it. If I got drunk and puked on your porch, you'd probably want to take my booze away. Fair enough, I think.

I live in an apartment. An apartment with thin walls and shitty ventilation. See where I'm going here? Somebody in this building, and I'm not sure who, likes to smoke weed frequently. Like, it must just be a constant hotbox in there. Seriously, good for them. I could not give less of a shit, until a old friend comes over and thinks I was getting stoned before they arrived. I'm actually embarrassed to invite family or professional friends over at this point. What's worse, is that I care so little, that I've just completely adapted to the smell and don't even notice it anymore. So it leads to awkward situations where people think I'm trying to hide it or pretend it didn't happen, or not share weed. Also, I'm vaguely worried I'm going to get accused of something and lose my security deposit when I move out.

I don't want to be the jerk who does the wrong thing here and gets some stressed college kid kicked out of their place. I don't care if they smoke their weed, just crack a fucking window. If I knew who it was, I'd go talk to them directly. Pretty much the only people in my building are graduate students and older couples, neither really threatening demographics. I feel like I could handle it better than the landlord would, and avoid freaking them out. I thought about putting a note on the mailbox unit hoping they would see it, but I feel like that's going to get noticed by the landlord or just removed, and probably ignored regardless.

I'm no narc. Help me, guys.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I respect your no snitching policy but you're in kind of a tough spot here. The only non-narc solution to me, outside of finding out who's smoking it, here would be to try to buy a bunch of incense or some sort of potpurri to mask the smell in your apartment. If the smell is that overbearing though, the smoker in question has to be close. Knocking on people's doors and asking them about weed is generally a poor idea but if you're friendly with your neighbors, maybe try bringing it up with them the next time you speak to them to see if it's them or if they notice the smell too.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Obligatory:

Loading Video...
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

yeah, you definitely have to figure out which apartment and just ask them to open some windows 'cause it's hard for you to breath in smoke.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TyCobb

I know how you feel. When I first moved out, I snagged an apartment. It was great for the first 2 months. Then a bunch of douche-bag teens / early-twenty-somethings moved in upstairs. My apartment would constantly smell like weed and worst of it all was the most concentrated part was in my closet with my clothes.

Luckily they got evicted 3 months later for destroying a closet door. However, 8 months later a really shitty family moved in and it smelled like weed again.

You are in a sticky situation because you don't know who exactly it is. My guess though -- it is the person right above you. In my old building there were pot smokers to my left, top-left, and right. It never smelled until the people directly above me smoked. Maybe that will help narrow it down for you? How long have you been there? Have you watched people move-in/out from your building? You can try to eliminate people by thinking that the new tenants aren't the cause or think if it started after someone moved in.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Snitches get stitches.

Loading Video...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't know how apartment mailboxes work but rather than a public note I'd probably leave individual notes in the mailboxes. That being said I'm pretty sure my weed smoking friends would indignantly ignore said notes. Maybe my friends are just assholes, I don't know. But I'd give it like a month after that, and if it didn't clear up I'd tell the landlord, and see what he's willing to do about it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@tycobb said:

You are in a sticky situation

Hehehehe.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: I'm actually as upstairs as it gets. My assumption has been that it is whoever is directly below me. I've been here for around a year and a half. People shifted in the fall, and I'm one of the only tenants who has been here longer than a few months. There's nobody in the apartment that shares a wall with me, the people before were evicted and they were the fucking worst. The smell of weed is a blessing compared to them. At one point they tried to "borrow" my electricity when they asked if they could run and extension cord from my balcony outlet. I'm the nicest idiot in the world, so I obliged. I let them do that for a weekend before a friend of mine got pissed and she unplugged them and told them to fuck off. Soon afterwards they got kicked out. The closest suspect is the tenant directly below me. Our hallways are outdoors, I assume the ventilation of the people across the way from me isn't connected, but I'm no architect, so I have no clue how this shit works. It sucks because otherwise, they're totally great. Everybody is mostly quiet on weekdays, occasional loud music on weekends (but I'm equally to blame for that), and nobody bothers me about fucking borrowing electricity. The smell is the only issue. Although I did have to deal with a mouse during this winter. I assume that's because somebody below me didn't keep their doors shut or something. The mouse was taken care of though.

@milkman: I actually do burn incense semi-regularly, and I'm a candle fiend. But that doesn't seem to do much, unfortunately. This building's ventilation is crazy shitty. I can always tell what my neighbors are having for dinner based on the smells. There's probably some property ordinances being violated here. I noticed that my above stove vent isn't actually hooked up to any sort of outdoor outtake, but actually just cycles right back into my kitchen. That's got to be breaking some sort of fire code, right? But I don't complain, because the trade-off is great insulation. My heat and AC are second to none.

This actually was an issue last year, but it was cigarettes instead (way fucking worse smell though). There was a day I came home to notes posted on all the doors emphasizing the parts of the lease that refer to smoking. I assume somebody complained to the landlord, and the notes were the response. I don't know how much the notes helped, it seemed like the smell came back a month or so later, but I grew used to that too.

Man, I'm glad I'll be moving somewhere better this summer.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude talk to the landlord .... no matter what smoking weed is illegal and you have all the right to demand him for stopping that shit. He could ask about a test to see if his clients are violating the rules of the contract. Its sickening that people have to suffer for the shit others do. And who cares if you go narc or that idiocy? It will end screwing you just because of some stupid saying of people who are gutless.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fuck that, there's being a narc, and then there's worrying about yourself. I'm sure we all appreciate you not wanting to be a narc, but narcs are like tattletellers in that they do it just to get someone caught and ruin their joy. In this situation the're taking it past the point of being acceptable. If you can find them soon, handle it. If you can't, bring it up to your landlord just to see his reaction to it. Like just mention, "have you been smelling that lately... it's pretty bad." And if he's super defensive, then yeah, maybe think some more about what to do, but if he's totally down with investigating, then raise a complaint about it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: While I haven't listened to that bit in quite some time, I was definitely thinking about it when I was writing this up. But listening to it again, man, it is really close to my same situation. I think my solution is to complain on Twitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People should like vapppppe man.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By audiosnow

You're not reporting it because it makes you feel superior; you're reporting it because, consciously or unconsciously, the smoker's being a dick.

I'm a Libertarian: do what you like as long as you don't step on other people's toes. Well, they're stepping on yours. Mention it to the landlord, or knock on a few doors.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LeStephan

Just hang a piece of paper at the entrance with something like: "Would the regular weed smokers in this building please open a window more often while toking it up, not everyone needs to get high in here, thank you". Because hey, how stupid it may sound, whoever is doing it might not even be aware that someone is experiencing trouble from it. And put some clipart of a weed leaf or a bong or something on it, that way you'll maximize the chance for the culprit to notice it haha.

If that doesn't work though I'd say you've done what you can imo and should file a complaint or something cuz otherwise they'll never learn it.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Levius

The weed thing clouds the issue. Whether it's something illegal or legal, stinking up other peoples apartments is still a neighbour being a dick regardless. Complain to the landlord or leave notes, or better yet try and move out if you can as that building doesn't seem great.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

1. I don't do drugs

@dudeglove Clearly, because if he were Republican or Democrat the party wouldn't have weed, alcohol, or smokes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hatking: Just tell the landlord and get it over with. Being a nice guy is all good and fun but in todays world where most people don't act decent and don't have the same proper manners instilled in them as you obviously do it's a losing battle to try and do "the right thing" and still stay on top. Someone doesn't give a damn and they're smoking up in their apartment constantly. You are too nice to just get the landlord involved and as a result have to feel embarrassed for someone else. You see what a shitty situation this is? Anyone with even the slightest sense of decency would know not to hotbox an apartment because not only will you make that place unlivable for anyone else that moves in after you but you're imposing your quite fragrant smells on other occupants that may not enjoy weed as much as you do. Those people obviously don't care, so screw it, get the landlord and tell him to visit everyone - he will know who is smoking up the second he walks in.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That sounds like a shitty situation. I'd something similar happen in my building last summer, but in stead of smoke it was someone growing weed. I'd written a note basically saying "hey do whatever you want in your apartment, but what you're growing in there smells up the whole building so I suggest you do something before someone calls the cops". I was supposed to stick it on the notice board next to the elevator, but before I had a chance to I saw a few sketchy characters going up and down the stairs with garbage bags full of plants. The smell was gone the next day.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The phrase "don't be a narc" is a very clever tool used by douchebags to prevent people from not letting them get away with their bullshit. Find the apartment and be polite, ask them to open a window or something. If nothing changes then why protect them?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

The phrase "don't be a narc" is a very clever tool used by douchebags to prevent people from not letting them get away with their bullshit. Find the apartment and be polite, ask them to open a window or something. If nothing changes then why protect them?

What he said, only not as "aggressive" ^

Personally I have nothing against nice weedy scents, they're very relaxing.. Anyway, try finding the person and let them know they're ruining shit for you and maybe even more people. Talk to more tenants. If things don't get better, why let one person ruin the atmosphere for everyone?

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

As someone who enjoys a smoke after work (I'll take that Bourbon as well) I completely agree and feel for you. You need to be considerate of your neighbors whether it's noise or smells, especially in apartment buildings with thin walls. If they smoke often they should do the responsible thing and invest in a vaporizer. The smoke is far less pungent, more like burnt popcorn, and it won't permeate the building. I have a healthy disdain for "vape culture" but if you're going to smoke and you're out of the dorm/college life, do so in a way that doesn't impact the people living around you. If you are able to talk to them about it, that's what I'd suggest.

Polekat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

embrace it!

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfgame

@megalowho: I would agree that should be your neighbors option at this point, at the very least vaping would greatly reduce the odor and allow them to maintain their lifestyle of weed without greatly interfering with you. I think it's pretty classy that you didn't call the cops straight away and are trying to find other options. But, if those options aren't there and this is negatively impacting your ability to proceed in a professional capacity, either with work or life relationships, you may just have to make a tough call.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Here's a couple dumb ideas. Try giving a brownie mix to all your neighbours. If the weed smokers start getting high from baked goods then the smoke no longer becomes a problem. Alternatively, cover up the weed smoke with cigarette smoke.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By spraynardtatum

I have a feeling they're growing. If it smells that bad that frequently than they probably aren't just smoking.

Certainly don't narc. There's already too many people in prison.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By erhard

Here's what you do: Leave a note kindly asking people to smoke out their windows rather than inside, without mentioning what type of smoking. Innocuous enough to avoid people assuming you mean weed.

Avatar image for fishwitheadphones
fishwitheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: Just make a sign in a public spot that politely asks then to tone it down or use a sploof. If they continue then think about contacting landlords. Don't possibly ruin somebodies life cause you don't like a smell.

thejhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should probably just start smoking yourself.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how this thread avoided getting locked, but in general if something is only self destructive and not destructive to others who gives a fuck.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By richyhahn4

I would spray your vents and doors with fabreese or airwick or something in the mean time, candles or incense are what I use, as someone that tokes in an apartment in a small town, I take alot of effort in hiding smells cause nobody has anything better to do out here than get involved in other's business.

Also, if they get caught by something you did or didn't do, its not on you if they aren't being polite about what they do, its no different that making to much noise or something

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude talk to the landlord .... no matter what smoking weed is illegal and you have all the right to demand him for stopping that shit. He could ask about a test to see if his clients are violating the rules of the contract. Its sickening that people have to suffer for the shit others do. And who cares if you go narc or that idiocy? It will end screwing you just because of some stupid saying of people who are gutless.

This. Society seems to advocate against "looking out for yourself" yet everyone in the world does it, because you should. If the person is causing you any sort of grief, do something about it. Unless it's legal in your area, if he is causing you any sort of grief, you have the right to put a stop to it. If it's something you "just don't care about," well, I don't know why you brought it up on the forums.

Basically, you have two choices:

1. Go to your landlord and complain. Ignore the stereotype that only assholes do that. If we are going to fight for "freedom" on a daily basis in this world, then that freedom has to apply to everyone. That includes the people that may not want what *you* (general sense) want.
  2. Ignore it & continue on your way. If it's not something that serious, and it surmounts to a couple of funny/awkward moments, then leave it be. Again, if it's legal in your area, whatever. If it's not, then the decision to ignore it is yours. However, if your comment about feeling embarrassed to invite family/friends over is big enough, maybe you should rethink your decision. If you peers follow the moral code of "just deal with it and leave the person alone" or "don't be a narc," you have the wrong type of friends.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you tried walking around the apartment and just sniffing around? I'm sure when you're at the right door you'd be able to smell it very potently, at which point you could just knock on the door and talk to him/her about the problem.

If they're jerks about, talk to the landlord.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these people condemning NARCing under the philosophy that since it's illegal, it's completely justified to get some guy evicted and/or arrested. I used to live in a college town with this problem, just post a notice up in the elevator or main door, it will solve the problem.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By development

I'm not saying your only option is to "get used to it," but give it a try. I used to live with very, very awful roommates, who would smoke cigs and weed (the weed I didn't mind) while blaring music through our also-thin walls on a Sunday night when I was trying to sleep. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I learned to deal.

Basically, tell yourself it isn't a big deal. Make sure you aren't working yourself up. By that, I mean make sure there isn't an intense rage building inside your chest (you probably know the feeling). If there is, try to find a way to cool down. Try other tactics of calming yourself and maybe you'll find it really isn't all that bad. It's a funny smell... but that's kinda it, right? At least you don't need earplugs and sleeping pills like I did.

Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe. But it works.

edit: Sorry, I should state that this is only a good option if talking to the tenant/leaving a note in the hallway is for some reason a big issue or doesn't work.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Turambar

I never understood the "guys, you mustn't ever tell" cultural bullshit.

skelto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck touts

Zojirushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zojirushi

Maybe put up an anonymous note on the front door of your building like "Stop the constant hotboxing people, it's really annoying!" Maybe they aren't really aware of the smell anymore, like you said, you get used to it. It's the same with "normal" smokers, they often forget how bad that shit smells for non smokers.

However, if Ryan was ok with snitchin it's probably ok to call the landlord or something. Just make sure he doesn't walk around saying your name and how specificially YOU complained about the smell. That could end poorly depending on the types of people living in your building.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a couple dumb ideas. Try giving a brownie mix to all your neighbours. If the weed smokers start getting high from baked goods then the smoke no longer becomes a problem. Alternatively, cover up the weed smoke with cigarette smoke.

Edibles are a different high, and not as many people like to do it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By spraynardtatum

@turambar said:

It's more about facing your problem head on than about never telling. Talk to the source like an adult rather than tattling to someone that could severely and negatively impact someone elses life.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd narc them out without a second thought.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanor: word of advice, edibles take like 1-3 hours to kick in so don't think it's not working and take too many or you might end up spending a near-eternity on what feels like the gap between reality and death.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all it is a drag smoke (and whatever else) is getting from someone else's flat into your own. That's bad right there. I myself am protective of the right to smoke weed, people suffered horribly for doing so when it was just ass-hole-ness from the beginning. But you should not be getting their second hand smoke, of any kind.

I'd put up an anonymous letter on the apt. billboard (if there is one) that smoke is getting to be too much. I'd also talk to the landlord without pointing a finger, and he/she could put something out. Their ventilation system. Or you could vote with your feet, that is the cold reality of it.. It should not be your cross to bear. I think it would annoy me too if it was always there.

After all, weed does not suit me either.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I support legalization. I don't support assholes who infringe on others' everyday lives. Tell your landlord to look into it, and don't sweat it.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are acting like the person is deliberately being an asshole. They probably just don't realize that the smell is going into other people's apartments.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar

@spraynardtatum said:

@turambar said:

It's more about facing your problem head on than about never telling. Talk to the source like an adult rather than tattling to someone that could severely and negatively impact someone elses life.

Except this notion is not aimed towards having adults resolve their issues between each other. It is fostered at a very young age as a means to coerce victims from reporting bullies in school yards, because any one that does is a coward. It's bred in people who are in fact not adults, and can't be expected to resolve issues like adults on their own.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope no one lonely ever dies in your building cause the ventilation sounds beyond shitty.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Buy an airfreshner. Plug it in.

Problem solved!

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By physicalscience

I had literally the same problem with my upstairs neighbor. I didn't really give a shit until my wife got pregnant and then I knew it was time to do something about it. I figured instead of telling the landlord and getting him evicted I would just call the cops since in NY the only thing they do is give you like a $50 ticket. I pretty much figured that would give him the hint to stop clam baking in his house 24/7 and that I was serious about it. I didn't want to talk to him direct because he was seriously a piece of shit and I knew he wouldn't listen.

Long story short he started harassing us and I got his ass thrown in jail and evicted and now my good buddy lives above me and it is a lot better and doesn't smell like weed.