What was John Hughes best movie as a director? May he resit in peace.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oldschool

John Hughes will be greatly missed.  As a director, he made movies that truly appealed to us Gen X types of the 80's.  His films were not masterpieces, but they were smart and truly entertaining.  

He actually only directed 8 movies, as is in the poll, but he wrote and produced quite a few more:

Pretty In Pink

Some Kind of Wonderful

The Great Outdoors

Home Alone

Flubber

Other than Pretty In Pink, which is a classic Hughes films, his best work was those that he directed.  The Breakfast Club and Ferris Beuller's Day Off spoke to a generation.  He wrote about teenagers unlike those before him.  Those characters were real and complex, not just some caricature.

Even now, my Gen Y children adore his films.  Ferris and Breakfast Club are both often watched films.  It wasn't just his great stories though.  he created a whole new genre of films with this type of teenage film.  On top of this, he cast some of the best young actors of his day, many of those who did some good work after these films:

Matthew Broderick

Kevin Bacon

Emilio Estevez

Molly Ringwald

Ally Sheedy

Anthony Michael Hall

Judd Nelson

John Cryer

James Spader

Andrew McCarthy

Charlie Sheen

Robert Downey Jnr

Bill Paxton

This is one of those times, as you age, when a part of your life dies, as John Hughes was such a big part of my youth.  Seeing Matthew Broderick in the shower at the end of Ferris Beuller remains one of film highlights for me.

Special mention to the music that he used as well.   He picked some of the best music of the day, that fit so perfectly into those movies - mostly English.  Simple Minds, Don't Forget About ME cannot be listened to with thinking of the Breakfast Club.  Yello's, Oh Yeah cannot be listened to without thinking of Principal Rooney on the bus at the end of Ferris Beuller.  Oingo Boingo's, Weird Science is the movie in more than name.

As for the vote, I have real difficulty choosing between Ferris Beuller and The Breakfast Club, but when it comes down to it, I have to go Ferris..... Beuller ..... Beuller ..... Beuller ..... Beuller.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

The Breakfast Club for me. I can't stand Ferris Beuller because  Matthew Broderick just pisses me off for some reason. Pretty much every movie he made after that was shit. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

The Club sir.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By gingertastic_10

Ferris Beuller. That movie is very entertaining. 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane
Ferris Bueller's Day Off is his best for me.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool

I think I am asking for John Hughes to REST in peace, not RESIT in peace, but hey, if he is uncomforftable, the he should RESIT in peace  :-) 

Typos are funny  xD

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By alsnuts2

I voted Ferris Bueller but I almost voted Uncle Buck

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
@alsnuts2 said:
" I voted Ferris Bueller but I almost voted Uncle Buck "
Somebody else did and I kind of find that surprising.  Nice but not strong film.  Surely no-one will vote for Curly Sue though?
XmassCthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By XmassCthulhu

Tonsarnit. I voted for Planes on instinct. Ferris Beuller is deffinitely the better choice though...

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Mordukai said:
" The Breakfast Club for me. I can't stand Ferris Beuller because  Matthew Broderick just pisses me off for some reason. Pretty much every movie he made after that was shit.  "
He did an outstanding job in Edward Zwicks Glory. Ferris Beuller is one of my favorite comedies, RIP.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

He also wrote National Lampoon's Vacation. I voted for Planes, Trains & Automobiles. I was a big John Candy fan, and I thought that was one of his best movies.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@Claude said:
" He also wrote National Lampoon's Vacation. I voted for Planes, Trains & Automobiles. I was a big John Candy fan, and I thought that was one of his best movies. "
It probably was his best movie, as John Hughes wrote a complex character for him to play, as opposed to the many one dimensial ones he normally got.  His character was annoying, but you couldn't help but like and feel sorry for him.  Good writing.
Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marzy

I voted for Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It's one of my favourite films and I love the interaction between Steve Martin and John Candy throughout the film.

I feel ashamed to say it, but I haven't actually seen any of the others in the poll. As a writter, I love Home Alone 1&2 though and I find them great to watch during the Christmas period.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust

My choice is the Breakfast Club.  It spoke to me, as it did many of my friends, when I was in high school.  We were all in one or another of the cliques outlined in the film.  I was  "Anthony Michael Hall", but I knew "Molly Ringwald"s, "Emilio Estevez"s and "Ally Sheedy"s.  

Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) was an anthem as we graduated and went out into the wider world.

Zainyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Zainyboy

I grew up on all his movies, but the one I consistently watch, even today, is Ferris Beuller.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
@PenguinDust said:
" My choice is the Breakfast Club.  It spoke to me, as it did many of my friends, when I was in high school.  We were all in one or another of the cliques outlined in the film.  I was  "Anthony Michael Hall", but I knew "Molly Ringwald"s, "Emilio Estevez"s and "Ally Sheedy"s.  

Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) was an anthem as we graduated and went out into the wider world. "
I have to admit that I was an Anthony Michael Hall type in my school days as well, although I was in my 20's when these films came out.  I thought Ally Sheedy was the hottest chick in movies back then  :-)  Just saw her in Kyle XY tonight and like me, she has aged  :-(     I also was quite the fan of Emilio Estevez and his great film Repo Man, plus what a family - dad, Martin Sheen and brother Charlie Sheen (Emilio was more talented than Charlie).
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust
@oldschool:  Yes, but Charlie Sheen was in Platoon and Wall Street, so he gets a buy from me on a lot of crap he's done (including his current series.)  Repo Man was great and left me asking "what the hell is in that trunk" years before I asked the same thing of Pulp Fiction's briefcase.

Oh, and although Ally shows the wisdom of her maturity like the rest of us, Molly is looking surprisingly sexier than ever.  What would "Ducky" say?
2007 photo
2007 photo
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
@PenguinDust said:
" @oldschool:  Yes, but Charlie Sheen was in Platoon and Wall Street, so he gets a buy from me on a lot of crap he's done (including his current series.)  Repo Man was great and left me asking "what the hell is in that trunk" years before I asked the same thing of Pulp Fiction's briefcase.

Oh, and although Ally shows the wisdom of her maturity like the rest of us, Molly is looking surprisingly sexier than ever.  What would "Ducky" say?
2007 photo
2007 photo
"
I saw her in some new teen drama series - no idea what it is called, I just saw the ad.  She plays a mother of course.  "Ducky" would say - "yummy mummy" ?
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Osaladin
@CitizenKane said:
" Ferris Bueller's Day Off is his best for me. "
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
@Lydian_Sel said:
" 3.3% for Weird Science... ouch "
I do love the film, so it would be 3 or 4 for me, as Sixteen Candles has no votes and I loved that one as well.  Oingo Boingo music in a film is a winner for me - Danny Elfman is a genius (with his work with Tim Burton especially).
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Gotta go with Bueller.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Ferris buellers day off...though i don't know who john hughs is...

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ineedaname
@Mordukai said:
" The Breakfast Club for me. I can't stand Ferris Beuller because  Matthew Broderick just pisses me off for some reason. Pretty much every movie he made after that was shit.  "
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

To, answer the question!, Breakfast Club.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bruce

Bueller was the only movie of his that I remotely enjoyed. Can't say I hold him that highly as a director.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
@Bruce said:
" Bueller was the only movie of his that I remotely enjoyed. Can't say I hold him that highly as a director. "
He wasn't a "great" director, thing is he was a great writer of his time as well as a very good director and made films that spoke to a generation and that is what he will be remembered for.
TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheBigBeefy

Ferris Bueller's Day Off hands down. How can anyone not love that movie?