• 72 results
#51 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Harry Potter is still cool

#52 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

His dark materials. I loved that series

#53 Posted by Dross (307 posts) -

Goosebumps and Fear Street. RL Stine ALL DAY

#54 Posted by TheGoatMan1 (30 posts) -

@llamaegg: I was a huge fan of Brian Jacques Redwall series as well. I just found out last week that the died from a heart attack a year and a half ago.

#55 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4742 posts) -

Goosebumps was the shit.

#56 Posted by Trilogy (2653 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

I read a lot of Goosebumps and Animorphs. I owned literally every Goosebumps book (including the "Choose Your Own Adventure" spinoffs), but my mom made me sell them all in a garage sale because my family was poor. Sad face :(

This!!!! I had a ton of animorphs and goosbumps books as a kid. I can remember just sitting there starring at the cover of an Animorph book before I read it. "WHOOOA... THAT'S SO CRAZY LOOKING!" Goosebumps just played to my childhood obsession with Halloween. It's still one of my favorite holidays. Then I got pretty heavy into the Harry Potter series when I was about 11 or 12. I remember staying up to 2 in the morning to finish the second book and then really wanting to start the third right away even if it meant not sleeping. I was hooked.

#57 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Star Wars books, and the first Alex Rider book, Stormbreaker.

#58 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1417 posts) -

I remember reading most of "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" books

Also "The Theif Lord" was pretty good

#59 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

The Mortal Engines stuff was cool, I was also really into a book called Bloodtide which mixed Norse mythology with a sort of post apocalyptic London.

#60 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

Some Harry Potter, some Animorphs.

I read His Dark Materials also but that was the last thing I read for a good while, I think.. Depressing. I don't really read books much anymore.

#61 Posted by BBAlpert (1470 posts) -

In middle school I randomly picked up a copy of Necroscope at a used book sale because I thought the cover looked cool. I got pretty into that for a while, although it's really not young adult fiction. Some of that shit is straight up fucked.

#62 Posted by Lysergica33 (523 posts) -

The Wind Singer! There was 3 books in the trilogy, can't remember what the trilogy was called, but they were epic.

#63 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

I had a guilty pleasure of the Redwall series, which I still own every one I managed to get my parents to buy for me back in the day. But, my favorite reading back when I was 13, and still to this day is Dune, no, I don't care that it's college reading level and that I didn't understand a lot of the nuance at the time, it still didn't stop me from reading the whole series at least once a year for the last 12 years!

Oh fuck me! Redwall! My circle of buddies dug those when we were around 9. They had one hell of a repetitive formula though. You knew there'd be a central character death in every one of them, and then at the end there'd be a long-ass battle and a ridiculously detailed description of the food they feasted on afterwards.

Boy am I glad I read those before "furry"became a thing!

#64 Posted by StarvingGamer (8230 posts) -

When I was in elementary school I read the The Indian in the Cupboard series of books numerous times.

#65 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

As a little 'un I read whatever I could get my hands on. My Dad was an English teacher so I used to go into the school and borrow whatever I liked. It was pretty sweet because it meant I had the public library, my primary school library and the secondary school library! I remember when I first picked up Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett, I loved it so much I stole it! I still have it sitting proudly on my bookcase to this day! When I was 13/14 I was heavily into vampire literature (before they began to glitter) and enjoyed Anne Rice, Bram Stoker and I was a big fan of Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu. I don't think my reading has changed much even now, I'll still give most things a shot. Oh, feel I need to mention Goosebumps here because I loved those books. They gave me my scare fix when 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' wasn't on!

#66 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

I loved the Cam Jansen saga as a kid in middle school. Good times.

#67 Posted by edwardt (62 posts) -

Malorie Blackman's noughts and crosses. Oh and Gravity's Rainbow.

#68 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Goosebumps and all the knock-offs that came with it. I devoured scary stories as a kid.

#69 Edited by mikeeegeee (1559 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

I really liked Ender's Game, then I found out Orson Scott Card is a giant douche, which soured the whole series.

This, totally. I've gone back and reread them, and they are still great, but at times it's hard to separate my feelings about the author from his work.

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli

Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Patterson

Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt

The Seventh Tower series - Garth Nix

I took a Children's Literature course a few years back, so I got a chance to reread most of these. The Giver is still incredible science fiction. Both it and Maniac Magee provide fantastic commentary on society. Annnnd Bridge to Terabithia is still heartbreaking.

#70 Posted by theuselessgod (318 posts) -

The Giver.

#71 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

The Pendragon series. I just found it way more interesting than Harry Potter. Hobey ho! I love multiverse shenanigans in stories.

#72 Posted by Fattony12000 (7407 posts) -