#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

2012 is coming to and end, with all these Game of the Year deliberations about to start how about we take a little time to talk about the movies. 2012 was a great year for movies, I have had a blast this year going to the cinema and going and watching some really awesome movies. Here are my highlights of the year.

• The Amazing Spider-Man
  • Avengers Assemble (The Avengers).
  • Dredd.
  • ted.
  • The Hunger Games.
  • The Dark Knights Rises.

I'm also highly anticipating The Hobbit, so assuming that doesn't become my movie of the year I'm going to say its probably Avengers Assemble. That movie is outstanding and its crazy that it is able to be such a great movie with all of these characters in it, each character is given its fair amount of screen time and the new ones introduced do a good job too. Dredd is my surprise though almost beating Avengers, it's just a classic action movie but when I mean classic I mean it is a CLASSIC.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

The Dark Knight Rises.

#3 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6397 posts) -

Avengers, but I really liked Prometheus too.

#4 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Probably The Dark Knight Rises, I really liked The Avengers too though, we'll see if The Hobbit can take top position but I'm not so sure about that for some reason...

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Avengers, but I really liked Prometheus too.

Oh I forgot about that movie, that was a cool one.

#6 Posted by Jeust (10858 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

The Dark Knight Rises.

Followed by Prometheus.

#7 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

Starlet

#8 Posted by SeanFoster (889 posts) -

I have a good feeling it'll end up being Djano Unchained or Zero Dark Thirty.

So far it's probably The Avengers.

#9 Edited by CaLe (4052 posts) -

Skyfall. Dark Knight was too long and too much (in-movie) time passed between the events that it just fell apart for me. Didn't enjoy it even nearly as much as the previous one. As for the best film I watched in 2012, but wasn't released in 2012: 悪人. A Japanese movie by a Korean director. Absolutely loved it.

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6155 posts) -

Avengers probably wins for me, but a really good year especially considering how terrible last year was; about 6 or 7 legitimate candidates for Best Picture though the Oscar grabs will probably win out. Can't wait for the next Nolan movie as always. Decent chance of Javier Bardem winning Supporting Actor and Daniel Day Lewis winning best actor a la 2007/2008, the last year where I think Best Picture was a complete wash between two fantastic films and the only distinction was one had no score and the other had a dreadful one.

Prometheus is a visually incredible film with a ton of really stupid characters, but if you look at those characters as philosophical archetypes and view the whole film as a treatise on how one relates to their creator/createes (kill them at all costs evidently) it makes for an interesting perspective on Ridley Scott: http://fcdisbad.blogspot.com/2012/06/prometheusridley-scott.html

Also: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/vlog-6-8-12-prometheus/

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6436 posts) -

I saw one film this year, and it was for free, so I guess it's that? Taken 2.

#12 Posted by gaminghooligan (1480 posts) -

The Raid Redemption, Cabin in the Woods, and Headhunters

#13 Posted by Animasta (14724 posts) -

Uh... god, I only saw three movies this year, and one of them was terrible, so either hunger games or skyfall.

#14 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Underwhelming year for movies that I like. Moonrise Kingdom was an easy choice.

#15 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Lord, not sure I saw more than one film released this year at the cinema; the film was Looper, which was damn good.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

Been a great year for movies. Avengers, The Raid and Dark Knight are up there but I'd have to go with Looper. So damn good.

#17 Posted by BBAlpert (1577 posts) -

I haven't seen too many movies that came out this year, and of that I don't remember much.

Wreck-It Ralph was surprisingly good, though. So I guess that's my favorite movie of 2012?

#18 Posted by Tofford (532 posts) -

I know it was last year for a lot of people but mine was The Muppets. I have never come out of a cinema with a smile that big on my face before

#19 Edited by Eidderf (507 posts) -

Off the top of my head probably Looper, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers and Prometheus. Cabin in the Woods and Chronicle were also pretty great too, I know that's six movies not one but oh well.

#20 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

It's a toss up between Dredd and Prometheus for me.

#21 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

The Raid: Redemption.

#22 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

Argo

#23 Posted by Pr1mus (3947 posts) -

Skyfall with The Dark Knight Rises a close second.

#24 Posted by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

Dark Knight Rises probably. One of the few movies I actually went to see in a movie theater. Also, the first movie I sought out to see in IMAX and went to see in theater a second time. It's not better than Dark Knight or Begins, but it's certainly good. I teared up both times during the Alfred scene at the end (don't want to spoil). In contrast to when I saw Avengers on blu-ray which felt pretty shallow which is no surprise considering they have 5 lead characters and only 2 hours, but it just felt like a Michael Bay movie with slightly better dialogue. Anything else, I can't remember which probably means I fell asleep during watching.

#25 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

Out of the two or three I've seen this year, it would have to be Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1. Still need to watch Moonrise Kingdom though, that's about the only other movie that I really wanted to see this year.

#26 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I only seen like, a handful of 2012 movies. My favorite of those being Perks of Being a Wallflower.

#27 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

So far The Avengers top my list but I'm having high hopes for The Hobbit to potentially take that top spot.

#28 Posted by Liquidus (942 posts) -

Skyfall. Prometheus is a close second but Skyfall is literally one of the most enjoyable movie experiences I've had in a long time.

#29 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I didn't see that many movies this year, but Looper pretty much crushed everything else I saw.

#30 Posted by deano546 (184 posts) -

The Raid: Redemption.

#31 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I can safely say that it will be soon be The Hobbit.

#32 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

@uniform said:

Underwhelming year for movies that I like. Moonrise Kingdom was an easy choice.

This sort of... I know there is another movie I loved but can't think of which one

#33 Posted by ConfusedOwl (965 posts) -

I'm gonna be the first to mention Cloud Atlas? that movie blew me away. It was a huge surprise because I went to see it out of boredom. I also loved the Dark Knight Rises and I'm hoping the Hobbit will be amazing.

#34 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -

@Ezakael said:

I'm gonna be the first to mention Cloud Atlas? that movie blew me away. It was a huge surprise because I went to see it out of boredom. I also loved the Dark Knight Rises and I'm hoping the Hobbit will be amazing.

Should have read the book man.

#35 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

@LastNinja said:

It's a toss up between Dredd and Prometheus for me.

Those might be mine too. Dredd is definitely the biggest movie surprise I've had in years.

I also really enjoyed The Avengers, Dark Knight Rises and Life of Pi.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15154 posts) -

Looper

#37 Posted by ConfusedOwl (965 posts) -

@theguy said:

@Ezakael said:

Should have read the book man.

Funny you'd mention that. I have the book sitting on my desk right now. Plan on reading it soon.

#38 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1472 posts) -

Cosmopolis, Killer Joe, or TDKR.

#39 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

John Carter.

#40 Edited by wrecks (2318 posts) -

Django Unchained (I'm predicting). Avengers was great on first viewing, not so much on repeat viewing. Most everything else I've seen this year was pretty underwhelming.

#41 Posted by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

Wreck It Ralph... but I completely missed Looper in the theaters. I was so hyped for it too... I guess I'll catch it on Blue Ray!

#42 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11400 posts) -

Avengers. No doubt.

#43 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

I really liked The Avengers. First movie I've seen three times in theaters. 

#44 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

Cabin in the Woods I guess, I only saw 4 movies this year (Avengers, Prometheus, John Carter) and none of them blew me away.

#45 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Atlas Shrugged Part 2

Lincoln

Take This Waltz.

#46 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I haven't seen Bond yet for some reason, but I guess TDKR.  

I'd wager the Hobbit will take that place though, even if it's getting apparently not so hot reviews.

#47 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Prometheus or Skyfall

#48 Posted by ShaggE (6701 posts) -

I haven't watched a lot of this year's films, but I just now watched TDKR, and I absolutely loved it, so... that.

#49 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Argo

#50 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (382 posts) -

As much as I love the Dark Knight Rises and the level of rewatchability that movie has I'm going to say Looper.