• 73 results
#1 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I'm 18, still living at home with my mother, and working pretty hard to get a job and finish my high school education. I'm also aiming to enlist in the Marines, though I'm not sure when that'll happen exactly (hence looking for a job, I'd like to get some independence and I desperately need to upgrade my rig before she dies). I've been trying for a job for a while now, with a few interviews and call backs but obviously never quite made it all the way. I've got a few things lined up right now that I'm hoping will turn out well but it's not like jobs are easy to come by these days. So I'm curious what your first job was? How long did ya have it, did it drive you crazy stuff like that. Personally I know I'll be happy just to have a bit of money coming in so I can finally push Skyrim without choking it down to 30fps with a limiter to avoid the stuttering issue.

#2 Posted by UitDeToekomst (716 posts) -

grocery store. 6 years from age 17 to 22 (roughly). wasn't too bad, really, but i would get pretty tired when working 50+ hours a week while in college. if you end up going that route, avoid working the register, though.

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

I had summer jobs every year since I was 13, first one was a masonry apprentice, basically knocking down old brick chimneys then carrying bricks and pails of cement up and down a ladder all day. I enjoyed it at the time, it's nice having money, especially when you have basically no expenses.

#4 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

My first proper job I'm actually starting next week, working in a school. It's not the career I want to end up in but it's money and after looking for a job for 2 years and finding nothing until now, i'm really happy I found it. Good luck with finding something, it sure isn't easy.

#5 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

paperboy at 14 y/o

#6 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

My first job was working security at a stadium in the day and working in a bar at night, the former being a complete pain in the arse and the latter being kind of enjoyable. The experience from them makes getting other jobs working behind a bar alot easier, when you finally get your first job just be sure to work hard at it and it'll give you experience to carry forward on any cv/resumé making you a much more appealing prospect to employers.

failing that touch her should and/or fake your own death.

#7 Posted by LTSmash (626 posts) -

Aside from general helping out with the family business, my first job was doing concessions at a tiny single-screen movie theater.

#8 Posted by Drebin_893 (2915 posts) -

Did you really refer to your PC as a 'she', or did I misunderstand?

#9 Posted by Mafuchi (47 posts) -

At 16 I joined the Carnival that my uncle operated. I worked summers for 8 years, ending my career as surveyor of lemonade and elephant ear stands.

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Lifeguard

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

A clothing store. And I knew literally nothing about clothes.

#12 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

Worked at Subway as a sandwich artist for a year. Not as bad as you'd think.

#13 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I worked at a video store when I was 16.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24818 posts) -

I worked the lunch rush behind the broiler at Burger King for one summer during high school.

#15 Posted by deadmoscow (262 posts) -

My first job was a summer position at Staples when I was 18 and about to get into college. I sold printer ink to people mostly, but when back to school season rolled around and I was getting bitched at for running out of the 1 cent folders, I quit. The first job I actually enjoyed in any capacity was delivering pizza for Papa John's. I did that for a summer, moved away, and now I'm back there again slinging pizzas for tips. If you want the best of the shitty food jobs and you have a reliable car and a good sense of direction, deliver pizza (or sandwiches, or whatever). It's like getting paid to drive around and smoke cigarettes and listen to music several hours a night.

#16 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

Survey call center. Call centers are great because they tend to pay more money too.

#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I was a bagger at a grocery store.

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

I worked in a comic shop for a summer when I was 15.

#19 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

I spent a lot of time on boats as a youngster. Traveling the rivers of Ireland for a year on a boat does things to you, man.

Also I literally went without sleep last night so I'm a bit odd at the moment.

@CL60 said:

A clothing store. And I knew literally nothing about clothes.

What, were you naked for the first decade or so of your life?

#20 Posted by Stepside (511 posts) -

Mcdonald's

#21 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Never had one. No one was hiring where I live when in high school (during the low point of the recession) and now I'm in college double majoring without much time to spend working. I'll probably do something this summer, though.

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos I just wear clothes, I don't know shit about them, when a women came in asking for specific shit I had no idea nor do I care about. Also an old man made me hold his belt so he could go empty his catheter.
#23 Edited by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (716 posts) -

at 18, i started off as a pizza delivery driver. by the time i was 23, i had worked my way up to become general manager. it was a fast rise through the ranks. got an offer to buy a franchise store and declined it. regardless of how much i loved working for them, i didn't love them that much to basically "live" at my place of employment.

#24 Posted by Grillbar (1835 posts) -

when i was 14 i was a paperboy and you had to be 14 to get a job where i live.

#25 Posted by MocBucket62 (1229 posts) -

At age 17, I worked at a New England brand grocery store called Stew Leonard's selling Christmas trees. 

#26 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Data entry for the HMRC at 16. Had to call people up and get information from them sometimes, but if they didn't answer my questions they didn't get paid, so was actually quite a good job.

#27 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I worked at a church rectory (where the priests live) during high school. Answered the door and the phone. Played a lot of N64.

#28 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

Unemployment counts?

#29 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Stepside said:

Mcdonald's

Man, that must have sucked.

@CL60 said:

@MordeaniisChaos I just wear clothes, I don't know shit about them, when a women came in asking for specific shit I had no idea nor do I care about. Also an old man made me hold his belt so he could go empty his catheter.

See above.

#30 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

First paying gig was as a tester for some edutainment software in the 90's. But my first stable job was working at the Uptown movie theatre in Toronto. I got the job by cracking wise about their rat problem.

#31 Edited by Bear (247 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

I thought he was referring to his mother, but that makes a lot more sense.

Paperboy at 13 (generally enjoyable, but my city has very cold winters and gets large amounts of snow), volleyball referee shortly after(Good pay, getting challenged on your calls is not fun).

#32 Posted by bartok (2481 posts) -

When I was 15 I took part in a summer job program for teens.  I ended up assisting the janitors with getting my high school ready for the fall.   My first proper job was at a K-Mart working in the gardening department when I was 16. 

#33 Posted by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

My mom forged my birth certificate when I was 14, so I could work at McDonald's. Thanks mom!

#34 Edited by Lashe (1251 posts) -

For about two years I was a part-time waiter in an Indian restaurant as well as a Music tutor. I must've been about 17 when I started those. They were pretty good jobs, I really enjoyed tuition to the extent that I continued it later in life, and the restaurant wasn't too bad either. It was in the town I grew up which was pretty small — never overly busy and I was usually left to run the bar and restaurant pretty much alone most nights. I'm pretty sociable and since I tended to recognise most of the patrons it was a good laugh for the most part.

Edit: I was a paperboy for a few years growing up too, but since the town wasn't exactly that big it wasn't too much of a chore. Never really treated it as work.

#35 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -

@morrelloman said:

Played a lot of N64.

That's an interesting colloquialism.

#36 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

Children's shoe store, when I was 14. It got pretty bad sometimes when self-righteous parents would try to tell you their child's life story, but it was aight.

#37 Edited by planetary (348 posts) -

Library checkout clerk at college, when I was 20. Commute was a 10 minute bike ride to campus. Sometimes worked in-between classes, or on nights/weekends.

I was "lucky" to go to college when the internet was just starting up -- this was 1990-94. So multi-player gaming was more about seat swapping and, later, LAN parties than anything else. Far less of a distraction than it is to kids these days. Easier to focus on education and laying the groundwork for a productive career.

The online gaming traps of that age were MUDs and MUSHes. OTOH, I made some of the best friends of my life (and I'm 40 now) from those experiences.

#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

I worked at a Tim Hortons for a few years in high school, but I took my senior year off... mostly to play World of Warcraft.

#39 Posted by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

Rowing coach at 17. It's pretty fun telling people that are older than you that they're just not doing it right.

#40 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I used to work on the docks. Union's been on strike. I'm down on my luck. It's tough, so tough.

#41 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -
#42 Posted by believer258 (11913 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

This was my first job as well, and I thought it was horrible. I hated it with a passion; the boss didn't like me much and asked me to clean the mold out of the fucking water vents under the sinks. Ugh, there weren't enough words in any language for me to properly curse her with.

After only getting three hours one week, I quit and went on to bigger and better things. Worked there for about four months, I believe, might have been five. Anyway, I'm also going to be looking for a summer job pretty soon. I'm actually thinking of going into Disney's college work program just to say "I did that".

#43 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

i have to disagree, i was a sandwich artist for like 9 months. i liked the majority of it but towards the end I couldn't deal with customers anymore, they were such assholes. Though my boss was a giant dick so it may have been from him

#44 Edited by wookie912 (23 posts) -

U.S. Navy here...recommend it to anyone that has some smarts and wants to get a good headstart professionally.. now working IT for a bank

#45 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

First job the taxman knows about was a dockworker.

#46 Posted by believer258 (11913 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

I used to work on the docks. Union's been on strike. I'm down on my luck. It's tough, so tough.

We've got to hold on to what we've got

'Cause it doesn't make a difference

if we make it or not.

#47 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Shopko. A small-town, midwestern, all-around worse version of Target.

#48 Posted by Shadoestar (50 posts) -

When I was 19, I was paid $30 to clean out a storage room at a tennis court.

#49 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

I worked at a Wild Life interpretation Center.

#50 Posted by Deadmanforking (577 posts) -

Telemarketing dude. I phone you at annoying times and ask retarded questions. Had the job for just over a year, was 18 when I started.