What will become of the forums?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By EVO

With the recent announcement of Giant Bomb being acquired by CBS, I've seen a lot of people up in arms over the deal and what this means for the future of the site, particularly the content we've all grown to love: the honest reviews, the often hilarious Quick Looks, and perhaps the best podcast on earth. But what about the forums?

That's what brings me here daily. Despite the sites rapid growth, this community has remained relatively tight-knit and devoid of system wars, rabid fanboys, elitists and other things that plague most message boards. The mods are cool, and having the freedom to swear means being able to truly express ourselves. Speaking of which, I hope the Giant Bomb crew won't have to tone back their language.

So, what will become of the forums?

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deathfury

I'm pretty sure the forums will stay as they are, since the two sites aren't merging together or anything. Here's the Gamespot/Giantbomb live stream that happened earlier, in case you missed it.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

It'd be mostly the same, maybe a few new GS members will jump in but that's it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Them dirty GS mankeys will fiddle around with all our stuff!

evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilrazer

I truly hope that our forum will remain the same that it always was - friendly, helpful and understanding. I don't want to see the same course of events that happens when the website attracts new audience and every third is a brainless flooder. On the other hand I'm excited about what is happening to the website and would love to see how it will affect the community. Maybe this is the last time I see this forum at this state, so just wanna say I love you guys for making the forum what it is now. *not gay*

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funkydupe

I'm thinking that a lot of current GameSpot users didn't know Giant Bomb even existed before the broadcast happened.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By M_Shini

Most of the original members GS members at one point or least some were, altho im sure there will be some sort of transitional dumbness till everyone decides where they wanna be and adapt.

Forum itself properly wont notice any difference aside from them since everythings staying where it should.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EVO

@evilrazer said:

I don't want to see the same course of events that happens when the website attracts new audience and every third is a brainless flooder.

Yeah, I'm all for cross-pollination so to speak, but not if it means a flood of religious debates and monthly NPD reports.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By McGhee

I already feel soiled by the prospect of Game Spot illegal migrant workers.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By doobie

i see no reason why things have to change. they said they won't and im giving them the benifit of the doubt
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Funkydupe

If there is one attractive female member on GameSpot truly interested in video games I hope she joins us instead. They're like the unicorns of modern society. Hi <insert your name>. Welcome to Giant Bomb.

Beyond that ... I can't possibly predict what'll happen between the two communities.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winternet

Forums will be forums. That's the future of forums. Not very bright if you think of it. It's 50% ending threads, 45% relationship threads, 4% japanese games threads, 1% everything else threads.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Much like the rest of the site, the Giant Bomb forums will remain a totally separate entity with our own rules, moderators and everything. You've got nothing to worry about.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

i dont get why people judge community in individual site. the people in this site is the people in other site and the people from other site is the people in this site. people is from earth and people that use sites is from earth. it is the same earthling.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

@AnnouncerGXZ: But there are people who like ANIME! Do they have their own planet? No they do not have their own planet.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jjnen
@AnnouncerGXZ

i dont get why people judge community in individual site. the people in this site is the people in other site and the people from other site is the people in this site. people is from earth and people that use sites is from earth. it is the same earthling.

Because their audiences differ. GS is aiming for a broader audience than GB. Also GB has cursing, lots of cursing.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The forums are apparently going to stay completely independent, in much the same way as the Giant Bomb and Comic Vine forums currently exist - while you can use either of them, you aren't obligated to get involved if you don't want to. Their moderators will have no input into how our forum is run, and we won't have any into theirs. Similarly, they will have their own rules, and we ours.

Some people seem worried that we are going to be overwhelmed by "Gamespot trolls and fanboys".

Challenge accepted.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

@Funkydupe said:

If there is one attractive female member on GameSpot truly interested in video games I hope she joins us instead. They're like the unicorns of modern society. Hi <insert your name>. Welcome to Giant Bomb.

Beyond that ... I can't possibly predict what'll happen between the two communities.

Instant 100 followers on day one if a girl joins here.

Internet.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Sweep said:

The forums are apparently going to stay completely independent, in much the same way as the Giant Bomb and Comic Vine forums currently exist - while you can use either of them, you aren't obligated to get involved if you don't want to. Their moderators will have no input into how our forum is run, and we won't have any into theirs. Similarly, they will have their own rules, and we ours.

Some people seem worried that we are going to be overwhelmed by "Gamespot trolls and fanboys".

Challenge accepted.

Just build a fort around the site make a sign saying ''No spotters allowed!''

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Fallen189

@Sweep said:

Challenge accepted.

So basically what happened when the website actually started.

People are so dumb

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funkydupe

@Sooty: ... unicorn. :*(

:D

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Matfei90

As long as we don't see a flood of stereotypical GS kiddies coming here, and the moderation team remains intact (and sane), I'm fine.