• 62 results
#1 Edited by Daneian (1207 posts) -

If the modern worlds calendar is based on the birth of Christ 2012 years ago, what will the next major historical event be that causes us to change to a new one?

I personally think it will happen when our alien masters arrive and enslave humanity. They'll make us conform to their history to rob us of a cultural identity and kinship to keep us passive.

What will it be called?

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (11850 posts) -

July 21, 2008?

#3 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -
  • Cataclysmic event
  • The rise of the NWO
  • Post-modern enlightenment
  • Alien contact
  • Alien enslavement
  • Half-Life 3 comes out
  • Humans get super powers
#4 Posted by Daneian (1207 posts) -

@TheHT said:

• Cataclysmic event

Which one #boom!

#5 Posted by Malarkain (103 posts) -

NeverDead finally gets a Quick Look.

#6 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@TheHT said:

Switch from "Anno Domini" to "Anno DominUS!"

#7 Posted by Dixego (381 posts) -

@TheHT said:

• Half-Life 3 comes out
#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36022 posts) -

Judging by how things went up here, I imagine it'll be when all of Earth unites as a single nation.

#9 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

@Daneian: Santa reveals himself and takes over with an army of elves and reindeer. However his coming also brings out the Pumpkin King of Venus, and the Earth is consumed in battle the intensity of ten thousand suns, before our own Sun is destroyed by the Kool-Aid Man, and the Earth is flung into dark space. While flying through space, Santa and Jack the Pumpkin King fall off the planet and Earth lands in the multiverse. Morgan Freeman reveals he's been waiting for this moment, and fights Kevin Spacey. Then our planet is absorbed by another universe that's the same as the one we left with the sole distinction of having humans wearing underwear on their heads. "Underwear on their heads, that's ridiculous!!" we will say. From then on, time will begin.

#10 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

after the singularity when we will be enslaved to a robot race, humanity's greatest creation

#11 Posted by supercubedude (451 posts) -

After Common Era

#12 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

iCalendar

#13 Posted by Daneian (1207 posts) -

@TheHT: Isn't that the exact plot of the show Fringe?

#14 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

I don't think it would be necessary, Christ's birth was still so recent. But some ideas, maybe after first contact, colonization of another planet, post nuclear war.

#15 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Stardate...duh

#16 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

@TheHT said:

• Cataclysmic event
  • The rise of the NWO
  • Post-modern enlightenment
  • Alien contact
  • Alien enslavement
  • Half-Life 3 comes out

Now that's just absurd.

#17 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

@Daneian: Aw shit. Busted.

#18 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Universal Century?

#19 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

after the singularity when we will be enslaved to a robot race, humanity's greatest creation

This, but replace being "enslaved" with being "kept around as pets"

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

@Levio said:

@thedj93 said:

This, but replace being "enslaved" with being "kept around as pets"

Robots don't keep pets. It's their detachment from life that makes them so powerful.

#21 Posted by Slay3r1583 (600 posts) -

@ricetopher said:

Universal Century?

Seconded

#22 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

My art history professor was always adamant that we use BCE and CE. She was literally the only person who seemed to care one way or the other.

#23 Edited by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

My guess is that we will adopt the Chinese calendar, so we are in year 4710 or something.

#24 Edited by mlarrabee (2886 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

My guess is that we will adopt the Chinese colander, so we are in year 4710 or something.

I could use a Chinese colander. I have some noodles to drain...

#25 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

When dinosaurs are walking the Earth again with men.

#26 Posted by ShaggE (6334 posts) -

Diaper Time.

#27 Posted by Pr1mus (3812 posts) -

Realistically i'd say when we reach a level of advancement to explore space outside our solar system (with actual humans in spaceship that can then come back and tell about it) or first Alien contact.

I'd be awright with Half-Life 3 coming out though. At least with that i have chances to be alive still when it happens!

#28 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

I have a suspicion it will have something to do with Dubstep.

#29 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

A.U

Achievement Unlocked

#30 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Space colonies.

#31 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

I don't think we'll have any reason to change calendars anytime soon. If we did, we'll probably have a lot more other things to worry about!

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

I have a suspicion it will have something to do with Dubstep.

We'll soon be on Swatch Internet Drops

#33 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

My art history professor was always adamant that we use BCE and CE. She was literally the only person who seemed to care one way or the other.

That's only ever used in a history context, though. It might seem a bit silly, but since it is just used in academic discussions, and not in a misguided political correctness,'hey everyone we're using this now also we will speak esperanto' kind of way, it's usually not that big a deal. Unless your teacher is weird about it, I guess.

#34 Posted by Xeiphyer (5595 posts) -

Once we start living in space, we can switch over to Future Era, or Space Era or something. Can't wait.

#35 Posted by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

A sarcastic "Thanks, Obama!"

#36 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

When man steps foot on Mars.

#37 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (203 posts) -

@Slay3r1583 said:

@ricetopher said:

Universal Century?

Seconded

Seig Zeon! But yeah I imagine it would have to be when the first permeate space settlement is founded. Especially if that colony does not experience earth years.

#38 Posted by Zella (703 posts) -

AC, After Contact(with aliens). Any intelligent extra-terrestrial life we encounter will have their own way of counting time so if we want to cooperate with them it would be easiest to sync our calender to theirs(or more likely a compromise where both parties restart their calenders).

#39 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Before and after you touched yourself last night.

#40 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

It has to do with religion and beliefs. While it's the same thing, it has nothing to do with Christianity, so that's why they use BCE and CE.

#41 Posted by cyraxible (682 posts) -

@Meowshi: I'd imagine it's because she doesn't want a religion she holds no affiliation to coloring the way she speaks and views the world. Calling it AD is tantamount to saying Christianity is the one 'true' religion.

I'm really shocked students weren't excited or passionate about it.

#42 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Hammer Time.

#43 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@NTM said:

@Meowshi said:

It has to do with religion and beliefs. While it's the same thing, it has nothing to do with Christianity, so that's why they use BCE and CE.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. She always had this sneer on her face whenever we covered religious art.

I was more just commenting on the fact that she was literally the only history teacher that ever seemed to care about it. Maybe it's a more common practice now.

#44 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

@Meowshi: I'd imagine it's because she doesn't want a religion she holds no affiliation to coloring the way she speaks and views the world. Calling it AD is tantamount to saying Christianity is the one 'true' religion.

I'm really shocked students weren't excited or passionate about it.

I myself refuse to use the word "Tuesday", as it is tantamount to saying that Tiw, Norse God of singles combat, is the one true religion. I instead simply refer to it as "two's day".

#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

In all seriousness, I would bet First Contact. If we survive First Contact, that is.

#46 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Meowshi said:

That's only ever used in a history context, though. It might seem a bit silly, but since it is just used in academic discussions, and not in a misguided political correctness,'hey everyone we're using this now also we will speak esperanto' kind of way, it's usually not that big a deal. Unless your teacher is weird about it, I guess.

She was weird about it, which is literally the only reason it ever stuck out to me. Well that and the fact that I was so totally crap at that class.

#47 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

@Meowshi: Just so you know, my comment wasn't meant to be there as if I assumed you didn't know such a thing, I just thought your comment had to do with what I wanted to say, so I added it.

#48 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@NTM said:

@Meowshi: Just so you know, my comment wasn't meant to be there as if I assumed you didn't know such a thing, I just thought your comment had to do with what I wanted to say, so I added it.

Okay. As an aside, when she first told us what BCE and CE meant, I remember at the time thinking that at least I don't have to remember what the fuck AD means now.

#49 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

It will probably never happen again, for no other reason than there's no point in changing it.

The only way I can see any kind of clock/calender mix up is once/if we start colonizing other planets someone develops a system that is somehow more convenient in adjusting to the changes in time on planets. Otherwise, there's no point to reset back to year 0.

#50 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -
@Meowshi

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Meowshi said:

She was weird about it, which is literally the only reason it ever stuck out to me. Well that and the fact that I was so totally crap at that class.

Just because different opinions are fun, I had a history professor who refused to use BCE and CE. His reasoning was that referring to it as the "common era" didn't change the reality of it, and that it is only common to the same groups of people that made it in the first place.