• 50 results
#1 Edited by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

Well were in the 2nd great depression The great rescission (for its not as severe global depression effect as the great depression), and country's are becoming more extreme with government rulers weather very liberal or Conservative.

Drone tech is becoming cheep, china and japan are fighting over a island. China and India are building up defenses.

India and Pakistan are cracking down on groups of people, Syria's in a civil war, parts of the Middle east are in great change, southern Europe is in a almost depression state, northern Europe is better off a sulect few nations are doing horribly in the north. a lot of African nations are in some form of developing economy.

( @Epicericky: your right in that its only a few nations in the middle east area, or western Asia, that are really in a state of dramatic change. there are plenty of states that are in quite stable era.)

A lot of south east Asian countries are also developing at a fast rate. The most south American countries are in some social turmoil or in growing economy. America is in great financial distress and is also dealing with a decline as a world power. Global climate change with fires, server droughts, famines, and rains.

The arts and philosophy's will flourish in this current period.

What will we call THE NEXT Great war that will happen in the coming years? or series of small wars?

Well we will all find out soon so just be ready for when it dues happen.

{P.S. that why you read history cues it just happens over and over again in different ways.}

{PPS. Afghanistan is were all empires go to die.}

**{PPPS. correction "most world empires go to Afghanistan to die, but not all. The ones that do go there will surely parish in wasted resources."}

{PPPPPS. there is some pockets of the world that are doing just fine it not global depression, most would say its rescission's that are going to very long. but were i live in Hemet ca which is in San Bernardino Ca county its a mother fucking depression 12-15% unemployment rate, small pockets of places were you can actually get a job.}

Also probably some of the few nations to conqueror Afghanistan were the Mongols, Persian and probably another one none that i know of.**

This is just some of my observations of global history that is happening with in this year and some of the last few years.

[the arts and Philosophy's.]

**{For the arts you got the Games industry, includes all forms cards, board, and Video, which is some what stagnant in some spots, but has plenty of innovation. From the recorded music industry you got indie music, Dub-step, and probably some other stuff. for Dance you got Zumba, daggering, social dances, and other world dances influencing countries. Paintings and digital art, well there is hell-a graffiti art and some of that movement seeping from the last decade, meme stuff which you could consider a new form of art, DA and other online art sites. photography and cinematography its mostly indie, horrible actions by military, social commentary, or even just fantasist to get out of the horrible world actions. literature its mostly fantasy, new indie, social commentary, and electronic stuff, i don't know much about writing these days. Comics i don't know much about the state of them, Other than a bunch of online indie books.}** (comics I just like the simple funny books like suicide bunny, political comics, Sinfest, Manage 3.)

**{Well for America you got the Tea party movement, the occupy movement, and a few other groups. In Europe you got some Islam phobia groups, Nationalist movements, and anti-austerity movement, and a few others. in some nations in the middle east you got new forms of democratic government and what that means to there society. in Asia people are battling corruption and their governments are mostly the same and small groups of occupy ideas or a form of nationalist pride. Africa had a new nation last year South Sudan. There is movements of trying to change some of the governments in Africa but that has been always happening seance the end of colonial control. An there is plenty of stable countries in their too. South America there are groups that do not want to Sacrifice the environment for destruction of habitat, homes, and lively hood. there are also groups threw out world were graduates from college are not finding jobs in there field, tuition spikes, and slowing of many nations economies.]***

By looking at different news outlets like:

Al Jazeera, NPR, The New york Times, The Los Angeles times, Daily Show, Fox news -just clips from the daily show, and YouTube-, The young Turks, Yahoo, AP, Univision, NBC, CNN, Russia Today, BBC, Front line, Current TV, Huntington post and probably a few more news outlets. Chicago Tribune,

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

The Franchise Wars

#3 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

World War III?

#4 Posted by Animasta (14638 posts) -

all these server droughts are terrible, what's going to happen to The Cloud now!?

#5 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -
@Tomzombie: I wouldn't call it the 2nd Great Depression, being as the stock market is still operating at an ok level ( where as in the great depression US market prices hat the rug pulled out from under them over night) a lot of countries are dealing with a considerable amount of debt however, The states has 15 trillion in debt? I didn't realize it was so much  http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/   

In the coming years the United States will collapse under the weight of it's debt unless some serious changes are made, it's a real unfortunate reality, and I'm serious as a Canadian I don't want to see the states fall from there current superpower status.  

As for the next war, No part of me takes pleasure in saying that it will involve nuclear weapons being fired ( in case of apocalypse remember cameras weigh 5lb's) the one thing that the human race is good at is destruction. Hopefully somehow we can find a way as a race to pull out of this crappy situation we have ourselves in. It's going to be interesting to watch 
#6 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

The World War

#7 Posted by Animasta (14638 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

The World War

the next great sequel in the world war franchise

#9 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1959 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Vinny_Says said:

The World War

Naw it would be the great reboot of the World War franchise.

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

We will call it the Tiberium Dawn

FIGHT! WIN! PREVAIL!

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1959 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: "Peace through Power!"

Although I feel like a modern global conflict would sound more like Hell March and look a lot more like the not-as-crazy aspects of the Red Alert games.

#12 Posted by Jaytow (693 posts) -

THE COD WARS 2!! WATCH OUT ICELAND WE'RE COMING IN FOR ANOTHER STRIKE!! YOUR ICELANDIC NAVY IS POWERFUL INDEED!!!

#13 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

I love everyone posting on this topic right now, it's a source of great entertainment =D

#14 Posted by Giantstalker (1514 posts) -

Assuming it's not just nuclear weapons, which it very well could be, I'd theorize something along these lines:

• Heavy use of proxy governments, organizations, and methods which limit national accountability
  • Unorthodox tools such as state-sponsored terrorism, propaganda, and displacement of persons are widely employed
  • Armies and similar military formations are largely turned inwards to control increasingly agitated civil populations
  • Countries spend most of their effort controlling massive insurgencies developing within their own borders
  • Competing nations destabilize others through conventional (drones, special operations groups) and unconventional methods
  • "Losing" becomes a matter of falling to your own citizens' unrest rather than being invaded by an opposing force
#15 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

Eh, I'm in the MIddle East right now. Kind of a stretch to say great change is happening.

#16 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

Err, there isn't going to be another great war unless something extremely dramatic changes in the current status quo. Why? The US kicks too much ass and Nuclear weapons have made great power war impossible.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

It needs a :Subtitle

#18 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1959 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: DEFCON said it first but I think it'd be a perfect fit, The World War: Everybody Dies.

#19 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@EquitasInvictus

@Tim_the_Corsair: "Peace through Power!"

Although I feel like a modern global conflict would sound more like Hell March and look a lot more like the not-as-crazy aspects of the Red Alert games.

So, like, the parts where Einstein kills Hitler and the USSR launches bears out of cannons?
#20 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

World War III since it would be the logical conclusion to a trilogy.

#21 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair: I've been stocking bear cub's for years, PETA isn't very happy with me but when the day comes that I need to fire bears out of cannons i'll be prepared.
#22 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1959 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: I did say not-as-crazy aspects of the Red Alert games. I will concede, however, that probably less than 10% of the Red Alert games would classify as not-as-crazy. Still, RA2's opening CG scenes of New York getting invaded looked pretty cool and probably how a conventional invasion of Manhattan would've looked like, and I live across the Hudson River from there!

Anyway the first Red Alert lends itself to actually being the predecessor of Tiberium canon so it goes there, eventually.

#23 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

Err, there isn't going to be another great war unless something extremely dramatic changes in the current status quo. Why? The US kicks too much ass and Nuclear weapons have made great power war impossible.

That was kind of the point. The US in a huge decline and their status as the worlds foremost super power is swiftly being lost to China. Europe may not exist for much longer either, with certain countries ready to jump ship.

#24 Posted by mrfizzy (1513 posts) -

There will be no WW3 in the near future. The only way that could happen would be for China and the USA to get into a war and neither country wants anything like that. Both rely on the other for trade and economic stability (what little of it there is). Even if something kicked off between China and the US, there isn't really a whole lot of ways that could end well for China. The USA has a far stronger navy and air force not to mention huge numbers of allies such as Britain, Australia, Canada etc etc. The only thing that China has is physical numbers of troops. All of this is assuming that a conflict between those two countries is non nuclear as if it went nuclear then the entire thing would be over in a few hours and neither country would exist any more. In that situation we would see the rise of the mighty Australian empire which would no doubt last for 1000 years and be forever loved.

Also in relation to the name. I vote for WW3: It's three times the WAR!

#25 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

How about just no more war? I like that idea. There, it's solved. You're welcome.

#26 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Inkerman said:

That was kind of the point. The US in a huge decline and their status as the worlds foremost super power is swiftly being lost to China. Europe may not exist for much longer either, with certain countries ready to jump ship.

While it's true that the US's growth isn't as high as China at the moment, we shouldn't assume China's dramatic increases will continue unabated. You hear people say, "At this rate, China will overtake the US!" But that isn't the full story. China by no means has a sustainable growth model. It has already seen slowing, and unless something dramatic changes, China will eventually grind to a halt. Though, such a halt would still have it at slightly ahead of the US or at least in a strong second, but it isn't like we are trading US dominance for a century of Chinese dominance. That just isn't feasible with how China is constructed today. If current circumstances remain the same for thirty years, you'll see something more like that, but our world isn't like that. Things change all of the time. Big events occur, conflicts erupt, and the human element can never be discounted. Countries aren't just monoliths; they are people. And that's a variable that's very hard to account for in the long run.

As for Europe, it is already showing signs of improvement, even if improvement is just lessening of losses or miniscule growth. The European Union may disassemble eventually, but Europe as a unit will remain. Europe is here to stay even if the organizing structures change a bit. Germany will help keep it going for a while, and Europe will survive. The European Union may be a bit more tenuous than ever, but it will pull through in some form, whether it be with less countries or an improved structure for the future. It is just going to take time, as with most of these wider hypotheticals.

#27 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

How about just no more war? I like that idea. There, it's solved. You're welcome.

Many politicians and corporations profit from war. None of it will stop until we all die.

#28 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@PillClinton said:

Many politicians and corporations profit from war. None of it will stop until we all die.

But surely Solid Snake and Otacon and Philanthropy can save us.

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

My money is on:

SUPER World War HD Remix

#30 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

As the US spirals out of control, EA will use it's almighty power over Call of Duty to pay off America's debt in exchange for a controlling interest in the government's decisions. It will then slowly encroach upon all franchises, not just video games. Free refills will be a thing of the past. Free sauce: Gone. You will pay to clock in at work each morning. You will pay to clock out. Any videos against EA will be taken down by the government's top propaganda resources. With everyone believing they are the only ones dissenting against EA's rule, no united movement will be formed. Until Valve steps up. Having prepared for this moment for years, they will lead the charge against EA's tyranny with the release of Half Life 3, knocking the Call of Duty clones EA have been putting out and forcing upon the gaming market from their top spot. EA will try to control them, but the people will back Valve. EA will send the government's armies against the US citizens as they riot under Valve's flag. A war will take place, the people against EA's army. The army, having had their training cut in place of just replaying Call of Duty games to save money, will be inefficient, whereas Valve will put out new, inventive games, keeping their supporters minds flexible and creative. As EA is driven back, desperately trying to control PR, one man will step onto the battlefield. One man, a man who had gone into hiding rather than work for EA, will reappear to preach the truth and lend Valve his support. And this man is...

Now with Valve and Schafer against them, EA will be forced to hand over their controlling interest to Newell and Schafer. After Newell attempts to ban the number '3' from the learning curriculum, however, it will be Schafer alone who stands over the people. And under his leadership, a new golden age of video games shall be ushered into being. Publisher's replaced by people paying for games THEY want. Making choices for those games based on THEIR desires. It will be glorious.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world burns.

#31 Posted by VierasTalo (650 posts) -

Depending on the scale, I don't think we'll have a chance to call it much of anything before we all perish.

#32 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Might as well call it "The End" if it's on the scale that the first two World Wars were.

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

The War Z

#34 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

World War 3: Reckoning. Then the next war will be called World War Death. And just to confuse everyone the one after that will be called World War 4.

#35 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@EquitasInvictus

@Tim_the_Corsair: I did say not-as-crazy aspects of the Red Alert games. I will concede, however, that probably less than 10% of the Red Alert games would classify as not-as-crazy. Still, RA2's opening CG scenes of New York getting invaded looked pretty cool and probably how a conventional invasion of Manhattan would've looked like, and I live across the Hudson River from there!

Anyway the first Red Alert lends itself to actually being the predecessor of Tiberium canon so it goes there, eventually.

If that day ever happens, I like to think I'll be flying a YAK while Kane kills Stalin ( or was it the chick that killed Stalin? I haven't played those games since they came out)

#36 Posted by thomasnash (530 posts) -

@Tomzombie said:

Well were in the 2nd great depression, and country's are becoming more extreme with government rulers weather very liberal or Conservative.

Drone tech is becoming cheep, china and japan are fighting over a island. China and India are building up defenses.

India and Pakistan are cracking down on groups of people, Syria's in a civil war, Middle east is in revolutions and great change, Europes in a depression, a lot of African nations are in some form of developing economy.

A lot of south east Asian countries are also developing at a fast rate. The most south American countries are in some social turmoil or in growing economy. America is in great financial distress and is also dealing with a decline as a world power. Global climate change with fires, server droughts, famins, and rains.

The arts and philosophy's will flourish in this current period.

What will we call THE NEXT Great war that will happen in the coming years?

Well we will all find out soon so just be ready for when it dues happen.

{P.S. that why you read history cues it just happens over and over again in different ways.}

{PPS. Afghanistan is were all empires go to die.}

This is just some of my observations of global history that is happening with in this year and some of the last few years.

By looking at different news outlets like:

Al Jazeera, NPR, The New york Times, The Los Angeles times, Daily Show, Fox news -just clips from the daily show, and YouTube-, The young Turks, Yahoo, AP, Univision, NBC, CNN, Russia Today, BBC, Front line, Current TV, Huntington post and probably a few more news outlets. Chicago Tribune,

I think a lot of your premises are very flawed here. You point to things like the Arab Spring and Syria's civil war as evidence of increasing violence, but I wouldn't say those are the flags for a new World War. The entire History of the C20th and C21st is basically one of war, to the extent that I remember one Historian on the BBC a few years ago claiming that the C20th was just one long war. If I remember who that was and what the program was I will edit it into this post. What all of these wars is lacking is the expansionist element that has triggered both world wars in the past. Huge land grabs just aren't the way of the world any more, so a network of alliances being called in to protect Poland from Germany just doesn't seem likely to happen. This means that any justification for war in the modern world will likely be very shaky - to shaky for the entire world to get embroiled in it. This isn't to mention that the World Wars can only really be considered such because of the now ended colonial rules of some of its major participants.

I know this probably isn't central to your argument, either, but the idea that the arts and philosophy are going to flourish in the next few years is absolutely laughable to anyone who has spent any time in a higher education facility. The humanities are dying a slow, painful death. Across the western world humanities departments are having their budgets slashed (in Britain by up to 100%), because they fail to offer immediate economic value to the world, and that is all the University mission boils down to these days. I think there's an argument to say that great art will come out of it, and you can definitely tie some of history's most influential art movements to times of crisis (Modernism would be the banner example), although even then it would be just as easy to argue that great art is constant. As for philosophy, I think not. Philosophy is so tied up with the universities, and virtually always has been, from the time of Ancient Greece and the Academy (although we might wish to except the relatively brief period between Descartes and Kant). Certainly now, there is very little true philosophy that happens outside of higher education institutions.

Also, didn't the Roman Empire go to Germany to die? and didn't Napoleon go to Russia?

So yeah, just a few thoughts, although no doubt they won't rock the foundations of your belief or anything. I don't think anyone could deny that climate change, looming energy and food shortages, and dwindling oil reserves are going to lead to some fairly nasty stuff. I just don't think we'll ever see anything on the level of a "world war" again. If nothing else the current trend in national politics is for insularity and withdrawal. More likely a series of escalating little conflicts, and the slow slow rot of nation states from the inside. The next really high profile war (ie, not african) will be the second falklands war I'd imagine. Lots of arguments about it already, and Britain is gonna want that sweet sweet oil.

#37 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Thursday.

#38 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (727 posts) -

The War to End All Wars to End All Wars, Finally?

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

@RedCream said:

You think that shit's gonna sell? It's gotta be World War 0. How else are you going to explain all those World War I back stories?

#40 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

@EpicSteve:

ya your right about that its only a few states really that are in any really change. it just the ones that had revolution, and a few that had some failed ones.

#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The Internet Wars. It's gonna be a big battle of governments hacking each other to death!

While I think the American people are mostly cool and I love a lot of art such as music and TV that comes from America, I gotta say, the scenario of the United States collapsing as a government & military force and becoming the world's bitch is such a delicious thought.

#42 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

the pacifistic wars: the re-deadening

#43 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@RedCream said:

The World War

'cause the original series happened so long ago and the standards have changed so much, it's basically a full on reboot.

#44 Edited by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

@TruthTellah:

ya, china going to slow down for a bit. its probably this is the short period before the storm china will slow but it going to be long time before.

:

ya your right about the not "all great at empires go to afganistan to die","most empires go to Afghanistan to die. But the ones that do go there will surely parish in wasted of resources." at least from i read granted its been most EU history. there is plenty of empires and have never even seen Afghanistan, but probably the only country to ever really come out of there alive was the Mongols.

it mostly battles at this point for resources, at some point in the future probably around the 2050s you'll start to see

#45 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Vinny_Says said:

The World War

Haha, that's basically what I came in here to say.

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13131 posts) -

If its localized in one area, it'll be the "war in _____" just lime it always is. If its all over the with lots of countries getting involved on each side, ths media won't be able to help themselves to call it anything other than WWIII.

Also, the War on Christmas.

#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@BraveToaster said:

@PillClinton said:

But surely Solid Snake and Otacon and Philanthropy can save us.

I hope so, duder.

#48 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

World War 3

#49 Posted by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -
@TruthTellah said:

My money is on:

SUPER World War HD Remix Extreme DX Limited Edition

Fixed.
#50 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

World War: Hot Pursuit.