• 100 results
#51 Posted by xCompanionxCubex (156 posts) -

I do hate how much Apple products have consumed the world, they're way too much for what you get

#52 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

Some of the responses in this thread baffle me. The iPad is what's hot, the iPad is what kids want, and the iPad is what a child would be happiest opening up. I feel like people are overlooking the fact that there are a huge number of apps aimed a all different age groups so the question of content is moot. Why are people disregarding iPad Mini which is comparable in price to every console on the market? Why are we assuming this iPad will not be a shared device? What makes people think an iPad will only hold the kids attention for a few moments while a game console will manage to entertain the kid for a longer period of time? Fuck guys, I agree that a console is a better present but there are better reasons. Gaming with the entire family vs (at best) two or three people on the couch looking over the shoulder of the person with the iPad, a library of games revolving around an investment vs a relatively high number of games that throw out instant gratifications. Those are the types of things that put a console above an iPad for me but that doesn't matter, the question was what would make a kid happier and the answer is undoubtedly iPad.

#53 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

The iPad is a fucking wonderland for children. My (2 years old this week) nephew constantly asks for the one my father owns and he can sit and fiddle with it for an hour or more before getting bored, which is an INSANE amount of time considering the longest he'll sit still is either when he's asleep or about 20 minutes to watch an episode of whatever toddler show.

My sister got him a ton of little kid apps, of which there are thousands, and he flips back and forth between them, singing songs or playing little matching games. A lot of them are vile, but most are also licensed so he enjoys seeing his favourite characters. And really, what do you see hyped to the fucking heavens more than Apple products these days? Kids want in on the biggest fads and the next big thing, regardless of quality or any legitimate desire to use the device in question.

However, I'd never for the life of me buy a kid an iPhone or an iPad. It's incredibly fucked up. The thought of kids owning devices like that PERIOD is already insane to me, but 7 year olds walking around with $700 electronic devices is mind-blowing. I can't even begin to imagine how kids can learn anything in school anymore. I had a hard enough time concentrating when I wanted to get outside at recess and play the original Pokemon on my Gameboy, let alone having the god damn Internet in the palm of my hand. I'm assuming the amount of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD has increased significantly in the last decade.

#54 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

iPad. Much more useful and in style these days.

#55 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

People are right. You do post a lot of shitty polls.

Also, I guess they'd be happier with a Console. Although I'd give them actual toys or something.

#56 Edited by Beforet (2927 posts) -

As a age 19 college student, I would find an ipad a much funner toy than a game console.

That said, give the kid some cardboard and legos. Learn them some creativity in their fun making!

#57 Posted by wafflez (528 posts) -

A Snes.. well, I was psyched to get one christmas morning.

#58 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

Obviously it depends on the child, but I'm going to say for most a games console.

#59 Posted by IBurningStar (2185 posts) -

My dick in a box?

#60 Posted by daedelus (93 posts) -

Depends.

Also, i'm not voting. This poll is a silly question.

#61 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@Canteu said:

I'm 23 and I have no use for an iPad. I simply cannot see what a child would do with one.

You can spend, what? Like £30 on a 4 year old for christmas and they'll have a wonderful time with the bubble wrap and box that whatever you got them came in.

Fucking madness.

They can use it to tweet their friends.

#62 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

AN iPad************

And this poll is stupid.

#63 Posted by Wampa1 (707 posts) -

@believer258: It does however come in a pretty nice box, that should last them a few hours at least.

#64 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

If I'm that child I'll be happier with a console heck even if I'm already 20 I would still want a console over iPad.

#65 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Consoles are bundles of joy that possible last for ages (or become part of collections) while Ipads and such are only relevant for this half year and because it is the cool thing to have. 

#66 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft: "jst poopd mi pantz #YOLO"

#67 Posted by Nightriff (5146 posts) -

iPads are overrated, it is ridiculous how much people "love" them.

#68 Posted by OmegaChosen (646 posts) -

I'd say the iPad with today's children.

#69 Posted by Travissty (17 posts) -

Children should be getting a 6-pack of beer, a pack of cigarettes and a pack of condoms for Christmas - Oh, didn't you hear? Letting your kids grow up too quickly is the craze these days.

#70 Posted by Fattony12000 (7518 posts) -

C64.

#71 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

I would say about 80% of the kids I know would prefer an iPOD for Christmas over a console, let alone an iPad.

#72 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

An iPad if you want them to smash the screen within the first few days. Because that's what's going to happen.

I think what it comes down to for me is that for the cost a iPad you could get them a console and some cool games. Sure there is a lot cool stuff to do on a iPad outside of cheap gaming but every kid I see who messes with it only does that though. They are a kid, so they are going to use it to do kid stuff like play games almost exclusively. So just get them a console and make sure one of games is a Lego game. Kid will love Santa for it.

#73 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3565 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@I_Stay_Puft: "jst poopd mi pantz #YOLO"

Mckenzie MIles in my 1st grade class said, I was a Stinky Barfosaurus. #FML

#74 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

A Wii U + Skylanders Giants trumps the iPad for younger kids. Once you start getting to kids in double digits, the iPad will start to take over, though.

#75 Posted by mlarrabee (2990 posts) -

I bought my first game console when I was 18. My first technology was an Amiga 500 I learned to program on when I was eight. I don't know any kids to whom I would consider giving either a console or iPad.

Kids should be kids. The one time in your life you can be entertained by anything shouldn't be ruined by being taught to be entertained by expensive toys alone.

#76 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

This the worst poll.

#77 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

You should probably define child better. Though i'm going to assume child means something under 10, otherwise they'd be a teenager.

They'd probably be more excited for an iPad, but then the stuff they'd do with it....is play games. Shitty games mostly. So yeah, they think they want an iPad, but what they really want is a Wii U.

#78 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would say console. i would say what he/she wanted for christmas.

#79 Posted by freakin9 (1151 posts) -

Kids know what they want, but don't actually put any sense behind that decision.

#80 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

An ipad or whatever other pad is affordable. It sure ain't the Wii U Pad.

#81 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Young kids crazy love iPads. There is immediate satisfaction to all the buttons and apps and such. They like everything from the clock app to storybook apps to paint apps.

Consoles are of course tons of fun too, but think of how much bs there often is to consoles, so kids would get frustrated: you have to do sign ins and such, play game tutorials, kids would get stuck on game parts, and such. With iPads they can just keep finding more and more things to poke at, and there are no content "bottlenecks."

And obviously the iPad can be used in a car during trips.

#82 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

So the question I asked was what would a child be happier opening on Christmas Day, not which of these would be best for a child.

#83 Posted by freakin9 (1151 posts) -

The best thing for the child would be to TEACH them how to build an ipad or videogame console.

#84 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Give them a six pack of beer, a couple of airsoft guns and a kindle paperwhite. That's what all the 4 year olds want.

#85 Posted by anywhereilay (151 posts) -

I still remember to this day waking to find a couple of toy trains at the foot of my bed and being over the moon about it. Get them a toy.

#86 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

@laserbolts said:

Why do you make so many crappy polls? Game console I guess.

He's become the new Organicalistic.

Oh, how I miss his ridiculous threads and polls...

#87 Posted by beeftothetaco (425 posts) -

I know what I would have wanted, but a lot has changed since then. I've seen a lot of kids with iPhones, so I could an iPad being the next 'logical' step.

#88 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

For a kid, definetly a gaming console. I don't see the point of an iPad for a kid anyway.

#89 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

Definitely a game console.

#90 Posted by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

A bicycle.

#91 Posted by JSwan13 (285 posts) -

I don't think an iPad would be as memorable of a moment has a new console.

#92 Posted by bjorno (1424 posts) -

just buy the kid a gun LIKE A REAL AMERICAN

#93 Posted by ajamafalous (12030 posts) -

You people that are answering console haven't been around any young children lately.

#94 Posted by geirr (2632 posts) -

There's a new iPad out so.. iPad.

#95 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@Canteu said:

I'm 23 and I have no use for an iPad. I simply cannot see what a child would do with one.

This.

Including the age, funnily enough.

I still find it insane whenever I see an eight year old with a smartphone.

#96 Posted by Deckard (76 posts) -

Actual scientific polls have found that kids 13 and under want an iPad by a significant margin.

#97 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3819 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Why do you make so many crappy polls? Game console I guess.

Because every time he does, they go for 5 pages. Meanwhile, people with insightful essays or thought-provoking interpretations stop after a couple of posts. WE ARE THE PROBLEM!

#98 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

my ten year old wants an ipad

#99 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

yeah... based on what my 3 nieces and nephew like to do on a daily basis.... they enjoy using tablets and phones more than playing video games. So Ipad would be more exciting for them.

#100 Posted by deano546 (183 posts) -

My 4 and 3 year old brothers love my dad's iPad, and they are able to use it (to an extent). They also play his DS, but, don't like it as much.