What would it take for you to switch phone OS?

• 81 results
Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Nothing. I don't use a phone.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By project343

iOS to Android? The complete failure of Apple's ecosystem. I've got a Macbook Pro, I've got an iPad, I've got an iPhone. I'm heavily invested in their products and love every single one. Plus, I tend to dislike relatively 'open' systems as it tends to come with some jank.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By medacris

I recently switched from a Blackberry, which I'd had for several years, to an iPhone 4 because the Blackberry kept crashing when it installed updates, and then the screen went all wonky and I couldn't turn it back on. I like the iPhone, but I don't have any apps that aren't pre-installed-- all I want to do with my phone is keep in contact with other people, and maybe have a camera app, YouTube, and a basic browser. I don't think I'm going to switch for awhile, but if I do, it'd probably have to be on the same calling plan I'm on now, not super expensive, not super slow or laggy. I don't care too much about the look of the phone, or the company that makes it, or anything like that.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'm really hoping WP8 ends up being awesome.

I'm currently on a 4S and I fucking hate it, I dropped Apple phones after my 3GS but with the premature death of my S2, I got given this thing for free and was too desperate to say no.

So if WP8 is good and the phones are good, I'll make the swap. Ditto Surface for my iPad, which I got over the Galaxy Tab due to being better to type on.

iOS is totally competent, but god damn do I hate Apple. I'll never buy another of their products.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By korwin

I've used all 3 (IOS, Android, WP7)... so I guess it doesn't take much.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By BoG

If Apple changed their rigid interface, I would consider it. I really dislike the iPhone interface right now, and love how flexible my Android is.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Not much, because I still have an Env2.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Jrad

Swype on iOS. I used to despise touchscreens for typing; Swype changed everything. If you have an android, I'd suggest switching your input mode to Swype for a bit, if you haven't tried it already. It's fantastic.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#59  Edited By Giantstalker

If it came with a free phone - a good free phone - I would consider switching.

@Jrad: That's interesting, I've had Android phones for three years and have never tried the feature. It's that good?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Jrad

@Giantstalker: If you're used to touch typing and know the layout of a qwerty keyboard, it's amazing. I can write a message faster with Swype and one thumb than most of my friends can with a physical keyboard and two hands. If you use a lot of non-words when you text, then it'll take some time to adjust and add them to its dictionary, but once they're in, Swype's undeniably better than the other stock options.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AgnosticJesus

When my contract is up I will gladly ditch my iPhone for a Windows phone. I can't stand iOS.

Judog24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Judog24

The moment Apple abandons iTunes it the moment where I would switch to iOS with no hesitation.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By BabyChooChoo

The death of Google. As long as they're still operational, I'll still be using their services.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@hollitz said:

I'd probably switch to a Windows phone from iOS if I didn't love podcasts so much. I still may. Really don't dig how the updates just make my phone a slow, unresponsive mess.

What? Windows phone has great podcast integration, one that rivals iOS.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@AgnosticJesus said:

When my contract is up I will gladly ditch my iPhone for a Windows phone. I can't stand iOS.

Same, getting a blue 8x on tmo, looks nice.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#66  Edited By hollitz

@BestUsernameEver: Oh cool, I didn't know. I haven't been super impressed by my iPhone. Makes a Windows phone more appealing.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@hollitz said:

@BestUsernameEver: Oh cool, I didn't know. I haven't been super impressed by my iPhone. Makes a Windows phone more appealing.

If you do switch, seriously wait for the Windows phone 8 batch early to mid November. The Luma 920 look's like it's going to be the flagship, with the HTC 8x right behind it. This is a warning though, the app amount will be jarring at first, but it's the fastest growing mobile app store in history, and it's noticeable how filled in it gets every month.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Daryl

I feel most comfortable with my IOS device. The android seems like its trying to imitate (poorly) and just throws in completely unnecessFuck off pleaseary steps to processes and different design choices for the sake of being different.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CL60

I'll probably switch when my contract ends in 2 years just to change to something new.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bell_End

i always find it odd how agressively protective some people are over the OS they happen to be using. just strikes me a weird.

i've had an iphone for about 3 years now and think its great. is simple, fast and eligant. i also love the apps store. but i would have no problem switching to Andriod if i liked the handsets, but i find mostly the phone feel like cheap plastic toys, like the samsung S3 etc.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By Genkkaku

I'm currently running Android (4.1.1), and before this was Windows Mango then iOS before that.. I think the windows is by far the coolest, but the Appstore is shite, and Android's widgets make that a really interesting home screen..

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bell_End

@Genkkaku said:

I'm currently running Android (4.1.1), and before this was Windows Mango then iOS before that.. I think the windows is by far the coolest, but the Appstore is shite, and Android's widgets make that a really interesting home screen..

why is the appstore shite?

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By Genkkaku

@Bell_End: Aside from the XBLA games which a few of are really cool and really well done it just doesn't have the variety or quality of apps presented in the Android/iOS stores.. It's kind of a wasteland comparatively..

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Curiosity, to be honest. I used iOS for three years but was always fascinated by Android. After getting a Galaxy S3 and an idea of what Android phones should and shouldn't be (thanks, TouchWiz) I've concluded that I like both, but will only recommended to my friends either iPhones or Nexus devices at this point.

By the time my current contract ends I've have a wealth of options on Android (though I'm less likely to choose phones purely on specs now) and the next big iteration of the iPhone will be coming around. If Apple can add a killer feature that other phones don't have (or perhaps improve overall functionality across the board) I may just go back.

Avatar image for purplemoustache
PurpleMoustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PurpleMoustache

I would switch over to Android if the fragmentation issue went away, the phone I buy would not be out-done literally next week, and my apps transfered.

I am an Apple user, and I really like how my phone and my computer interact. I can receive a text on my phone, and respond to it, for free, on my computer.

The issue that Android has is that there are way too many devices with way to many configurations of internals, and way to many resolutions, and that makes developing an app for every device literally impossible. And because Android is so open and stuff, phone companies make monster phones and push them out, and just about every week my Android friends are jizzing themselves over "Nexus 25" or whatever.

Lastly, I like to play games on my phone. Not Angry Birds, but independent titles that might not get all the attention they deserve. For example: Waking Mars is a really cool story based game about bringing life back to Mars, that required a crack team of volunteers to port it to Android for the upcoming Humble Bundle. I'd rather give my money to the original developers.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Bell_End

@Genkkaku said:

@Bell_End: Aside from the XBLA games which a few of are really cool and really well done it just doesn't have the variety or quality of apps presented in the Android/iOS stores.. It's kind of a wasteland comparatively..

sorry, i though you mean the apple appstore.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By PerryVandell

I'd like to try out the new Galaxy S but not enough to shell out the necessary cash. So...free?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Android 4 lyfe

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mikey87144

@PurpleMoustache said:

I would switch over to Android if the fragmentation issue went away, the phone I buy would not be out-done literally next week, and my apps transfered.

I am an Apple user, and I really like how my phone and my computer interact. I can receive a text on my phone, and respond to it, for free, on my computer.

The issue that Android has is that there are way too many devices with way to many configurations of internals, and way to many resolutions, and that makes developing an app for every device literally impossible. And because Android is so open and stuff, phone companies make monster phones and push them out, and just about every week my Android friends are jizzing themselves over "Nexus 25" or whatever.

Lastly, I like to play games on my phone. Not Angry Birds, but independent titles that might not get all the attention they deserve. For example: Waking Mars is a really cool story based game about bringing life back to Mars, that required a crack team of volunteers to port it to Android for the upcoming Humble Bundle. I'd rather give my money to the original developers.

If you get a Nexus phone the fragmentation would not be an issue for you. Google releases those once a year. That issue is really for the low powered versions of the Android handsets.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sploder

Someone to give me an iphone so I don't have to use this fucking Blackberry anymore.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By plaintomato

@MikkaQ said:

Androids would have to become the "it" fashion phone, and that doesn't seem likely at all.

iPhone started strong because it was new and awesome, it was all there was for anyone who wanted the latest and greatest toys. Then it skyrocketed from there because the "it" fashion phone matters for the uninformed - if everybody else thinks its "the best", best or not, it's probably a safe buy without actually having to learn anything for yourself.

Now it's just another smart phone, riding that wave of being "it", and that same uninformed crowd can still safely upgrade without having to actually learn anything about what else is out there.

But, I wonder how many people actually buy it because they care that it's the phone all the cool kids have - I have to think that doesn't matter to very many people, I really think it's the convenience of assuming "a million flies can't be wrong".

@BabyChooChoo said:

The death of Google. As long as they're still operational, I'll still be using their services.

But this is the thing for me too...Google's services are the key features for me; as long as it can fully integrate with those services, I'd probably go for the most RAM and fastest response time. The rest of crap is either equivalent or close enough across smart phones in comparable price ranges.

I tried Outlook.com since I was able to land my preferred email address, but having my preferred email address wasn't worth ditching Google's services. MS is playing catch up on everything these days...