• 121 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

I sort of got into the mood to watch Netflix at night. Since I cut teh coird I don't watch too much local TV, so I tyopically watch Netflix an hour a night. Here are a few things that I have found super enjoyable

1) The West Wing (1999–2006) - What a great show, I only watched the first two season with any regularity when they were on the air, but HOLY CRAP what a great show.

2) The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011– ) - Take viewers through film and filmmaking history, from the late 19th century to today, with a particular emphasis on world cinema. It is shot documentary style and is really interesting because it is full of clips form movies your have never seen. If nothing else, the sheer scope of the enterprise is staggering.

3) Louie (2010-2012) - Written and directed by comic Louis C.K. -- who plays a fictionalized version of himself. The show is enormously funny, depressing, and uplifting all at once.

4) The Final Countdown (1980) - This is a great movie if you like naval aviation and military stories. The premise is goofy, "what if a 1979 American aircraft carrier (with its modern firepower) time-warped back to Pacific waters just outside Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941?" The special effects are bad, but most of the move is 90% practical effects and real planes flying around so that part is awesome.

5) Parks and Recreation (2009-2012) A great show and in my opinion one of the best sitcoms to come out in the last few years. Amy Poehler is a godess!

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's shocking how bad all of them are (Netflix,Amazon, Hulu, etc) when it comes to getting new movies. They were promoting how they just got Jack Reacher a month or two ago lol. They're good for TV shows though. Hannibal is worth checking out and is only 13 episodes. It's easily the best non-cable drama right now. I randomly went back to Angel, Justified, and Farscape, which holds up well since they used "puppets" and not much CG for the aliens.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I like the idea of a thread with Netflix recommendations. I kinda think finding something that you don't know what it is before hand is kind of a hassle in netflix.

Ill add that Jacob's Ladder is going away on 3/1/14, I would recommend checking it out before! Personally find it to be a great psychological thriller.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4 MattyFTM  Moderator

Derek. Derek was the best TV series of 2013. It manages to be hilariously funny, yet can also bring you to tears. Fantastic show.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The IT Crowd was alright.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

If we're throwing out random recommendations of TV shows on Netflix, I'll throw out Maron and Childrens Hospital on the comedy side and Continuum is a surprisingly not terrible sci-fi show.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

@deathstriker said:

It's shocking how bad all of them are (Netflix,Amazon, Hulu, etc) when it comes to getting new movies. They were promoting how they just got Jack Reacher a month or two ago lol.

The thing is that my Netflix subscription proved not to be really great for old-movies either. They have a wide and great selection of movies there, but after searching for all of these twenty-one movies and TV series and getting nothing but frustration, I decided to cancel my subscription at the time (it's a service I'll probably get back to though).

• The Simpsons
  • Videodrome
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Towering Inferno
  • Thirteen Days
  • Rome
  • I, Claudius
  • The Missiles of October
  • JFK
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Dances With Wolves
  • Luther
  • Marie Antoinette
  • The Lady and the Duke
  • Danton
  • Marat/Sade
  • Barry Lyndon
  • Charlie Wilson's War
  • Quo Vadis
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • The Song Remains the Same

I used to think of Netflix as something like a place where I could look up and stream movies and TV series that I had been wanting to watch. That's not what it is. That only happened roughly once in twenty searches. It is, however, a place where you can find a lot of cool stuff to watch instantly, and that's worth my 10$ or whatever it is.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started Orange is the New Black, and I'm really loving it so far.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

@atwa said:

I like the idea of a thread with Netflix recommendations. I kinda think finding something that you don't know what it is before hand is kind of a hassle in netflix.

What do you mean? The site gives you dozens of recommendations right on the front-page! Do you know what all of them are?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I watched Luther recently, the BBC mini series with Idris Elba. I thought i was pretty great.

Sort of a more grounded, and a lot more dramatic and serious take on Sherlock.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coafi

I'm watching Lost, I really like it. I recently finished Bates Motel, which was kinda decent. I'm about to start watching Attack on Titan, I don't get why Netflix's Anime Library is so poor.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@snail said:

@atwa said:

What do you mean? The site gives you dozens of recommendations right on the front-page! Do you know what all of them are?

The only good suggestions Netflix ever gives me are things I've already watched.

@coafi If you're looking for anime, watch Samurai Champloo if you haven't seen it. FMA Brotherhood is also supposed to be really good(I haven't seen it, but I saw the original series and enjoyed it)

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going through Deep Space 9 again and forgot how awesome that series was.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yi_orange: I've already seen Samurai Champloo, it's great! I've never given FMA a chance, I think I'll get on that one after I finish Attack on Titan. Thanks, duder!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Sooperspy

I just got back onto the Netflix boat a month ago after being without it for over a year. From what I've watched, I recommend these which may be overlooked otherwise:

• Zodiac
  • The Good, The Bad, The Weird
  • Bronson
  • The Conversation
  • Heathers
  • Maniac
  • MST3K: I Accuse My Parents
  • Clue: The Movie (yes, based on the board game)
  • Good Burger (I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, cause we're all dudes, yeah)
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They just added blue is the warmest color, and I was going to watch it before realizing that movie is 3 hours long

jeez

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I powered through the following on just a random click and didn't regret it.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Portlandia, GLOW Documentary, Mr Universe Jim Gaffigan, Louie

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have heard Luther is good. I just finished watching Sherlock w/ Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman...excellent but not many episodes.

If you want to see something crazy watch "Shut Up Little Man! An Audio Misadventure". I had never heard of that meme before so it was very interesting to have a view of a meme that was alternative/underground.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

• American Psycho
  • Breaking Bad
  • Glengarry Glen Ross
  • Twin Peaks
  • The X files
  • Justified
  • Battle Royale
  • Say Anything
  • Heathers
  • Ghostbusters
  • Clue
  • Fargo
  • Big Trouble in Little China
  • In the Loop
  • The Thick of It
  • Things to do in Denver when you're dead
  • Grosse Pointe Blank

Soccerpolska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Soccerpolska

Blackadder is a little BBC gem. If you skip the first season (which you can because the plot is non-linear from season to season) you get to watch Rowan Atkinson wittily mock people and satire Shakespeare.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they added Blue is the Warmest Color to the service recently. That's pretty much one of the best films from 2010s thus far and more or less has the two best lead performances you'll see in movies in ages. You should watch it. All of you.

The Act of Killing is also on there. It's the best documentary I've seen in years. About genocide and similar happy things.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're not watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia then WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By emoney244

Twin Peaks. Best and most tragic TV show if all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had Netflix in awhile so I'll just list shit I like that I remember being on there.

It's Always Sunny

Futurama

King of the Hill

All the 90's Nick shows

Breaking Bad

Walking Dead

Malcolm in the Middle

Birdemic Shock and Terror

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Terriers.

The only way you used to be able to watch the great, but short lived series was instant. Though it seems they're now out on DVD as well. Definitely a show worth watching.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By BoFooQ

I just got done with season 2 of house of cards and am now moving on to Breaking bad. Also watching star trek tv shows are always great, had never seen voyager before and thought it was good... Also if trailer park boys tv show is still on there everyone should watch that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a ton of good stuff on Netflix right now, especially tv shows.

Dexter (it has all of it now- even the divisive last season)

Breaking Bad (all of it is there)

House of Cards (Netflix produced show, and in my opinion is just as good as anything on HBO)

Parks and Rec

It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Futurama

Bates Motel (I haven't actually watched this yet- I don't know if its good)

Derek (another Netflix produced show- it's from Ricky Gervais but surprisingly from what I've seen more serious then you'd expect a lot of the time)

That's everything newish I can think of right now. They've been getting rights to a lot of great shows recently so it's been pretty great. It's unfortunate when it comes to movies there isn't as much but that's fine for me as I live near 3 movie theaters so I'm good with those anyway and there realistically isn't that many movies I want to see coming out anymore it seems.

They also have extensive classic shows like Freaks and Geeks, Hercules, Xena, Power Rangers, Hyperdrive, Twilight Zone, and other stuff but I'm gonna stop because I'm beginning to feel like I'm writing an ad for Netflix, and that feels weird.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#28  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm a bit of a fan of Psych. I know, I know, but if you're looking for something a bit fluffy and fun, it's pretty terrific.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you have Netflix and haven't watched Orange is the New Black yet you need to remedy that, it is not just a show for chicks, it is the best tvs how I have seen in a post-Breaking Bad world.

I might come back into this thread with a bunch of random recommendations for movies as well, but I'd have to compile a comprehensive list.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By crithon

bride of Frankenstein

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 chaser324  Moderator

Dexter (it has all of it now- even the divisive last season)

Everything post-Lithgow can and should be skipped.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Ehh, I watched it all for the first time recently and I thought it was fine. The story did get super weird at one point (you know when- I can tell) but I was still ok with it on some level.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I am missing on netflix are the great classic action movies on netflix or anywhere else. Where is Die hard, Rambo, Rocky, Rush Hour, most of the Jackie Chan movies. You know the good stuff. Yes you can rent it for like 3 $ a piece but why is it not on instant streaming I am paying for.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Attack on Titan is some pretty good anime.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had Netflix in awhile so I'll just list shit I like that I remember being on there.

It's Always Sunny

Futurama

King of the Hill

All the 90's Nick shows

Breaking Bad

Walking Dead

Malcolm in the Middle

Birdemic Shock and Terror

You like this movie? I have not seen the movie, only the JonTron Episode and it looked unwatchable.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008: Lol I put that as a joke. Honestly though it's so hilariously bad that I would actually recommend it. Had me dying the first time I watched it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have recommendation but not for netflix show. If you are using a web browser get an extension/plugin called Hola.

markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By markies

White Collar is a really fun show

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008: Lol I put that as a joke. Honestly though it's so hilariously bad that I would actually recommend it. Had me dying the first time I watched it.

Well, you may as well watch the sequel, wrap up that narrative, if the movies are even linked, I will not watch this trailer, I don't wanna know nothin about this film.

Loading Video...

slindz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brutushayesosu said:

The IT Crowd was alright.

One of my favourite tv shows of all time. The gay musical episode is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen. Anyone that hasn't watched this show, is missing out on an all time classic comedy.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The League, 4 seasons and funny in the same way of It's Always Sunny.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Trailer Park Boys.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

@atwa said:

They do, but its mostly the same stuff all the time, really hard to find good old niche movies. Plus people in GB community probably have similar tastes in entertainment than all the general populous.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By djou
Loading Video...

I would really recommend Beyond the Black Rainbow, really great indie horror movie, kinda has this 70s drugged out Drive-feel. Also I watched this movie called Dogtooth that had some of the blackest humor I've ever seen.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Burn Notice: amazing show. Episodic in nature with an overarching plot which progresses sporadically. It's action-packed, has great writing, is lighthearted while still hitting on some seriously dark plot-lines. It's a ton of fun and has copious amounts of Bruce Campbell, which should really be all you need to justify watching every episode several times over. Probably my favorite American TV show of all time

Supernatural: Two brothers take on literally every mythical figure ever, which somehow all exist within the US. It's absolutely hilarious and self-aware, but still manages a compelling story that keeps you hooked (fair warning: season 6 is pretty stupid)

Fringe: think police procedural, but all the crimes involve sci-fi levels of advanced technology. It has a very interesting, compelling story, great writing, and Walter brings great comic relief in the form of a clinically insane super-genius biochemist.

Prison Break: no real humor here, but it's a great show which *spoilers* isn't just about the same group of people trying to break out of the same prison for 4 seasons. They do manage to keep it fresh and interesting...as long as you can slog your way through season 3, which had the misfortune to be written during the writer's strike and...it's noticeable

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nmc2008 said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Well, you may as well watch the sequel, wrap up that narrative, if the movies are even linked, I will not watch this trailer, I don't wanna know nothin about this film.

Loading Video...

It looks like the start of a bad porno.

redelectric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By redelectric

@notdavid said:

I just started Orange is the New Black, and I'm really loving it so far.

It took eight posts to get to Orange is the New Black?

Shameful.

EDIT: Battlestar Galactica.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the Wonder Years now.. This is the first time I am actually watching this all in order and while I know most of these episodes from my childhood I never saw this kind of continuity in there. It is really really great. One of my most favorite TV shows ever.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumpin' the thread to recommend The Returned, it's a french mini-series where people are coming back from the dead and how their loved ones deal with it. I don't speak french, I only recognize a couple of words, but the subtitles were well done, nothing is incoherent or out of place. If you like a more slow paced show, with mystery and drama and with an ounce of Twin Peaks vibes, then I really recommend this show. Slight warning though, it kinda ends in a cliffhanger.