#1 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Any one got any tips for a decent change from iTunes, I want to have my Music\TV Shows\Movies all in one program.

#2 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Why would you not want to use iTunes? Anything else is a garbage knock off.

#3 Posted by zombiesatemycereal (426 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior:  Have you tried VLC ?  

@jdh5153 Itunes is a bloated piece of crap. 
#4 Edited by Snail (8604 posts) -

The Zune Media Player is my favorite one. It looks good and has a cleverly designed UI.

@jdh5153 said:

iTunes really isn't all that great. It's probably among the last media players I'd recommend. That forthcoming UI overhaul looks appealing though.

#5 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Snail said:

The Zune Media Player is my favorite one. It looks good and has a cleverly designed UI.

@jdh5153 said:

iTunes really isn't all that great. It's probably among the last media players I'd recommend. That forthcoming UI overhaul looks appealing though.

Mosly for the video side of things, I just want to have my TV shows and Movies organized properly, I like the music side of iTunes.

#6 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

http://www.plexapp.com/download/plex-media-center.php

I prefer to just use separate apps (Media Player Classic for video, Winamp for audio), don't see the point in all-in-ones since they only seem to be worthwhile if you have a HTPC without a mouse or keyboard nearby. I just do basic folder management and id3 tags for organisation.

and yeah iTunes is the worst, especially on Windows. I don't even like it on Mac.

#7 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Especially if you use Windows, iTunes is an awful mess.

#8 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Zune, which than also is Xbox Music/Video in Windows 8 and on the 360. Sure zune no longer gets software updates, but it's already great in its current form. Especially when it comes to your music, and managing all of it. Though there have been rumors (some quotes in a recent verge article made it seem pretty possible) that it would be supported again, though I'm sure at that point it would also have the xbox music name. Either way, i'll be sticking to it as long as I possibly can. Zune will have what you want on the video sides of things though.

#9 Edited by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: You can organize TV Shows and Movies in iTunes. My Mac has all my Music and favorite GB videos(ERs, TNTs, etc) content and my PC has all my movies and TV Shows.

#10 Posted by shinboy630 (1139 posts) -

For movies and tv and the like I use XBMC. It supports music as well, but I have no idea how good the UI/plugins are for music seeing as I don't use it for that and usually just use Winamp.

#11 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

iTunes is just a media player... There were media players before iTunes and there are better media players out there. iTunes is an absolute mess.

#12 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Snail said:

@jdh5153 said:

Mosly for the video side of things, I just want to have my TV shows and Movies organized properly, I like the music side of iTunes.

Then the Zune media player is definitely your choice. It's really elegant, and you can easily organize your TV series and movies.

#13 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Snail said:

@jdh5153 said:

Then the Zune media player is definitely your choice. It's really elegant, and you can easily organize your TV series and movies.

Yeah thanks for that the sorting options for sorting movies and TV are pretty great, cheers. Now waiting for Bombcast while I rename and organize all my TV shows, oh OCD.

#14 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

So now that iTunes 11 is out it is fucking terrible. Holy shit. Don't think about customizing anything in it. Also if you have a large library (like me) it's a fucking pain in the ass to even find anything. Any alternatives that will also work with an ipod out there? Yes I still use an ipod.

#15 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@Nightriff: I use MediaMonkey, personally. I find it's pretty easy to navigate through my 3000-ish songs, but it has an annoying tendency to be unable to find your files every now and then, randomly, until it locates them again. I've never tried customizing the interface before.
#16 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

@TheFreeMan: It works with an ipod too? I just like being able to look at my music in certain ways, like looking at an artists albums by release date and not always by alphabetical, and they took that away. Super frustrating.

#17 Posted by myketuna (1693 posts) -

I really like iTunes 11 compared to iTunes 10. That said, I would still use Winamp if I could (I could never get podcasts to stick to their previous position, so I abandoned it a long time ago).

#18 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

I use Media Player Classic, but that's because I'm super old school and ghetto.

It's awesome, though, you can get it to play anything in the best way possible. It's especially useful for HD-quality videos in super modern container formats in the most optimized way possible.

#19 Posted by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Any one got any tips for a decent change from iTunes, I want to have my Music\TV Shows\Movies all in one program.

Can you describe how and where you watch or listen to your stuff? I am frankly indifferent to iTunes but depending on what you are trying to do there might be multiple ways to help.

#20 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2457 posts) -

The new iTunes is actually much better. I like how they finally added a mini player.

#21 Edited by martinrobin (1 posts) -

I'd suggest for going syncing all together and use Play Music. All songs are online, and from your phone can be made offline. I use a combination of that and MusicBee at home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.iphone-mac.com/

#22 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

So I have a similar question, I hate iTunes and wanna try something else but I can never find something that suits me. Winamp doesn't really do it for me.

I don't care about video though.

#23 Posted by bybeach (4823 posts) -

I use I-tunes strictly for radio, and one station at that. I have some old material on it but I am indifferent. I am going to buy some sort of tablet soon, trying to fugure out what works on what. But that one radio station is simply key, I think they have direct streaming also....besides conventional FM.

I used to use...gawd I forget what. I drifted away, they weere not versatile enough. An early version that no longer exists was excellent..at least as radio/genre again, I cannot remember if dl'd. That ,matters little to me day by day anyways.

Poor answer I know.

#24 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

why do people find itunes so bad. ive used it for nearly 10 years and never had a problem.

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I'm actually really enjoying just using windows media player. I keep all my music on my network drive so I can access it via wireless devices in the house so it's all in one place.