What's Cooking This Christmas?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hi all, hope your all well and looking forward to Christmas. I'm just wondering what you or your mom's & pa's will be cooking up on Christmas day, and if you have any family traditions as far as the food?. Also, what videogames will you be playing on Christmas day, if any?.

I wont be doing a Turkey myself, that's one bird I've grown sick of, it's bland and lacks flavour, no meat should need a sauce in my eyes, good meat should shine on it's own. Anyway, I've ordered a full rack of lamb instead. Here in the UK, Welsh salt-marsh lamb is the best, those lambs graze on herbs and grasses in sea meadows which are kissed by the prevailing sea breeze. The herbs they feed on consist of exactly what you would add to lamb traditionally; mint, thyme, (sea) lavender, that sort of thing. The meat is sooo tender and delicious, It should look and smell impressive when carving up at the table. So anyway, how about yourselves?    

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You know, I was thinking about making a thread similar to this the other day. I was wondering what people have for their Christmas dinner, but thought I'd wait until Christmas was a bit nearer before I'd post it. You beat me to it though.

Anyway, we don't have turkey for Christmas, we have a Capon & it's always really delicious. With it we have Roast potatoes, Mashed potatoes, Parsnips, Carrot & Swede, Stuffing, Roast Onions, Brussels Sprouts (which I personally hate) and Yorkshire Puddings. And for pudding a traditional Christmas Pudding with very very very very very very strong Brandy Sauce. 

Gah, why did you have to make me think of this, It's making me hungry!!!!!!

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DCFGS3

My mum ordered a ham, that's about it. We don't really celebrate christmas, it's only the four of us, so there isn't much going on. We don't even get a christmas tree anymore, we usually just stick the presents under a pot plant.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Marzy

My mum and dad cook Roast Potatoes (with a bit of Mash), Peas, Carrots, Stuffing, Turkey and some Gravy poured over it. My mum, dad , brother and granddad all have sprouts, but I don't like them and give them a pass every year.

I look forward to Christmas Day, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CandleJakk

We generally have a huge cut of Beef, roasted with potatoes (roasted in Goose Fat, so they're light & fluffy inside, super crunchy outside), parsnips, carrots, green beans of various flavours, red cabbage, yorkshire pudding. 

Boxing day ends up as another feast as well, where we have cold beef, a bacon joint, salad, spiced meats like salami, chorizo etc, pasta salad, potato salad, baked potatoes.

Shit, I can't wait to go home and eat some real food.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By evanbrau
@Linkyshinks:  In Ireland here and I've been riding the lamb train on Christmas for as long as I can remember, not a huge Turkey guy at all. Rest of the family eat turkey and ham so I guess we are pretty generic that way. The best part is my mothers incredibly gravy, I would literally drink it from the jug if I was allowed.
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By webby

Turkey, I normally only have it around Christmas and I love it. 
Also probably roast potatoes, veg, stuffing and gravy you know the usual.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Cerza

Turkey or Ham. With my family it's always either turkey or ham.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By teh_destroyer

My god, these posts are making me hungry its 9:30am! *runs to the closest Dunkin Donuts*

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I imagine it'll be a large Pork or Turkey dinner, i'd prefer it be pork personally. 
Roasties, yourshire puddings, carrots and probably some glass' of Shloer.
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By erinfizz

I will be by myself this year...so the likely answer is Vietnamese noodle bowl or maybe Thai, depends on what's open!  

Traditionally, I like doing ham for xmas, or maybe a nice pork roast. So meat, sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, biscuits. Nice and easy.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phaseshift
@MattyFTM said:
"Parsnips "
The food of the gods!
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Manatassi

We are having Pork and Chicken with a full compliment of Roast Potato, Mash, Veg (including Sprouts) and those little sausages wrapped in bacon cos they're yummy. Oh and Bisto gravy....  the nice one. I cant be making my own and all that. 

And stuffing.  

And Christmas pudding with cream for desert. Which I will be setting on fire of course. 

I'm hungry now! 

Oh and cant forget the Yorkshire puds

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shazam

We get a ham and a 17 pound Turkey - it's always a huge family Christmas. For me, it's not about the meat though, it's all about the stuffing. Stuffing with cashew nuts is possibly the greatest Christmas food. Yum Yum ! 

Oh and the Christmas Pudding. Now, I know everyone says this but literally, nobody makes Christmas Pudding like my mother. She makes a huge batch every four years. We're on the fourth year so she's making a fresh batch tomorrow. But honestly, the older they are the better. She basically makes the batch, separates them into little cake bowls and covers then in Guinness and whiskey. Every couple of months she gets them out and re -douses them with Guinness and whiskey again. They keep for years then. Well, they would last for years if they weren't so delicious. Some extremely alcoholic Christmas pud and shit-loads of custard. Who could ask for anything more !?

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By foggel
Pinnekjøtt minus the potatoes.

Lamb and swede purée. And ofcourse beer. Delicious :)
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fallen189

Salmonnnnn

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

Not sure yet but some sort of overly large dead animal.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind

I'm Jewish and Catholic, so we celebrate between the holiday's midpoint.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ninjakiller

Turkey or ham

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#20  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

My parents usually host Christmas at their house, usually including my brother, grandma, various uncles and their families, and myself.  We usually have a turkey dinner at my grandmother's on Christmas Eve, and a ham dinner on Christmas itself.  Beyond the meats, we usually have mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, vegetable trays, and a green bean bake (my favorite).  We generally go light on pies at Christmas, though we might have a pecan pie or what we call "possum pie," which is basically walnuts, whipped cream, and some other goodies in a pie form.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nail1080

It's Christmas?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By sjschmidt93

Ham.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maxszy
@Linkyshinks: No way i'll be eating Turkey again. Once on Thanksgviving is enough for me, definitely agree that it is rather dull. 

On Christmas my family normall does a "honey baked ham." Not sure if you have something like that in the UK but its a ham which is then essentially coated in honey to give it a nice sweet taste. If cooked well, its absolutely great. Just if one isn't careful, it can dry out which is bad. 

Other than that, my mom always makes various types of Christmas cookies. She's more of a baker than a cook anyway, so those are always good.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dont like turkey, I love me some ham though =]

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Phaseshift said:

" @MattyFTM said:

"Parsnips "

The food of the gods! "

The gods like there's Honey roasted.  

@MattyFTM: 

Capon seems like a great dish for Christmas. I would be against the idea of the bird becoming a popular dish though, the thought of all that de-bollocking would put me right off. I'm already developing a phobia for Turkey's.  I blame GMTV. 

@DCFGS3:

Hams are great Christmas fare, Honey roasted with star anise is nice. 

@Marzy: 

I didn't become a fan of sprouts until later in life. They can taste pretty good if they're cooked well, soft but still bright green. You can prick them with a cocktail sticks, and then roll them in sweet vegetable gravy.  

@CandleJakk:   

That sounds great, that's my kinda food.  I'd stick the potatoes in a roasting dish under the beef while it cooks at one point, that way the meat fats will flavour the crisping potatoes. Goose fat is awesome, you cannot have great roast potatoes without it imo.  

@evanbrau:

Ireland has some of the best food in the world [ . ]  I'm making Champ with crispy bacon bits and an onion gravy with Guinness to accompany it. The Irish are great at making gravies, they have a skill in harnessing as much flavour as you can from ingredients, they've had to in the past, and it's benefited the food. Now it's a plentiful land as far food is concerned. 

@erinfizz:

I hope you still have a lovely Christmas anyway Erin :).  Treat yourself, get some king prawns, you could marinade and grill them, My own marinade -  two very finely chopped red chillies, 1 squashed and chopped lemon grass, light soy, a little(pref thai) basil. sesame oil and finely grated lime zest. Marinade for 10 mins, then dip them into sesame seeds and grill them at a fierce heat for 4 mins. 

@Manatassi:

Sausages wrapped in bacon are great, I like how the bacon keeps them moist and adds a nice crunch. protip: scrape both sides of each rasher with a sharp kitchen knife, to remove the lame stuff, I'm sure you know what I mean. If you've got dry cured bacon, even better. 

@Shazam:

This is the second time in five days I've had to ask a girl to choose her words more wisely.  I think stuffing is great, when it's cooked outside, I hate, it done inside, that makes me kinda sick, I like my stuffing crispy, and not PAXO, hell no, I will make my own. Cashew nuts are awesome, I'm addicted to them. All guys should eat them.  

That sounds so good, that's exactly what you should do, but for most people it's not practical nowadays.. You can keep them under the bed, how crazy is that.. The flavours amalgamate over time, obviously the longer the better with ingredients like that. Ohh, Irish whisky, do love a bit of that. Baileys is a tradition of mine also, only because it's acceptable for a man to drink it at Christmas, lol. 

@foggel:

That sounds healthy and typically Scandinavian. You could try dicing half into cube's and roasting them (herbs) till they caramelise, then when serving the white purée, you could sprinkle the cubes on top. The appearance and texture would make it even better.  
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eric_buck
@MattyFTM: Eeeeww why would you have carrots? I don't like carrots!
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GunnBjorn

Fun fact: a Capon is a castrated rooster! 
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AltonBrown

I'm actually cooking lamb this year as well.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By danielkempster

The standard Christmas food plans are usually: 

Christmas Day - Prawn cocktail for starter, turkey dinner with stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes and assorted veg for the main, and christmas pudding and custard for dessert. In the evening we usually have a light salad. 
Boxing Day - As above, except the festive fun moves to my mum's parents' house! 
New Year's Day - My dad's side of the family all gather at my dad's father's house for a roast beef dinner. It's a bit of a family tradition. 

My girlfriend and I are also having an Unofficial Christmas Day this Thursday (the 17th), because we're not going to be together over the Christmas period. We're having a turkey dinner then, too :)

Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By Neon941

My sister-in-law's been going on and on about eating turkey once for thanksgiving and then again for Christmas, she also thinks it's pretty stupid. Personally I think there's very little point in thanksgiving, it's pretty much Christmas with no presents and no fun and they're right bloody next to each other, but then I wasn't raised in this country so maybe I don't understand. We had turkey for thanksgiving so I expect something along the lines of ham or lamb for Christmas.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Eric_Buck said:
" @MattyFTM: Eeeeww why would you have carrots? I don't like carrots! "
I'm not a huge fan of carrots on their own (I would eat them if they're put on my plate, but I wouldn't cook them myself), but Mashed Carrot & Swede is heaven.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

usually make some good stuff. my mom makes some good broccoli stuff, it has like cream-cheese and stuff.  for some reason my grandma has christmas on weird dates that are far from christmas. this year we are going to have it jan, 9th. i'm going to be making some dip that is good. it's like creamcheese, chillie and cheese. i'm going to be adding some things like jalapenos.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Xeiphyer

We have turkey for christmas and thanksgiving, but i'm Canadian, so our thanksgiving is farther away from christmas. We also have ham occasionally on christmas. Food is awesome! e-mail me some of that lamb =(

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead

Chicken, turkey, bacon and duck mark this year's meats. Most of the family turns up for Christmas so we're well prepared, though less than usual as we're going on a big holiday 3 days later.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fugie7

they will be cooking ham thats about it i think. because the other family memeber's supposedly bring a dish but will see.

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Inuzagi

I don't really have anything special for Christmas planned on. My family doesn't usually make some special dinner for Christmas, although we usually get the family and some friends together and go all out with the food. Not only that but my sister is going to be giving birth soon (I'm hoping the little girl will  be a Christmas baby), so my mom is going to go up their and help, so it's just me down here and my old man down here. I will be getting my 500GB hard-drive for my PS3, along with FFXIII hopefully. May get another game, so I guess I'll spend Christmas doing the usual gaming/ music routine.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NintenDood

We usually don't eat anything special on Christmas day, so we'll probably just make some home-made pizza. =D

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By drjota

Sounds nice.Family here usually does chicken and dressing or,if everyone's feeling particullarly southern,fried chicken based off of an ancient family recipe.Wash everything down with a cup of wassel(spelling??),and it's all right.Dunno about this year though,crazy times for now.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sykosis

Tamales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422

Hell, I really dont know yet. Whatever my girlfriend and her sister end up making for the most part.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By SaucySala

Lamb sounds 1000 times better than Turkey... Turkey has gotten sooo boring. Unless it's deli sliced and in a sandwich that is.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ahriman22

I would say, but it['s against the rules. I think.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spudtastic
@Linkyshinks said:
" Hi all, hope your all well and looking forward to Christmas. I'm just wondering what you or your mom's & pa's will be cooking up on Christmas day, and if you have any family traditions as far as the food?. Also, what videogames will you be playing on Christmas day, if any?.

I wont be doing a Turkey myself, that's one bird I've grown sick of, it's bland and lacks flavour, no meat should need a sauce in my eyes, good meat should shine on it's own. Anyway, I've ordered a full rack of lamb instead. Here in the UK, Welsh (-from Wales, it's a country Americans) salt-marsh lamb is the best, those lambs graze on herbs and grasses in sea meadows which are kissed by the prevailing sea breeze. The herbs they feed on consist of exactly what you would add to lamb traditionally; mint, thyme, (sea) lavender, that sort of thing. The meat is sooo tender and delicious, It should look and smell impressive when carving up at the table. So anyway, how about yourselves?     "
RE" Lamb is somewhat less popular in the US, but we did used to broil lamb patties (ground) almost every week when  I was a lad. We would serve it with mint jelly. We usually have ham on Christmas, and this year is no eception.Much less laborious cooking regimen than turkey.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Linkyshinks

@spudtastic

said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" Hi all, hope your all well and looking forward to Christmas. I'm just wondering what you or your mom's & pa's will be cooking up on Christmas day, and if you have any family traditions as far as the food?. Also, what videogames will you be playing on Christmas day, if any?.

I wont be doing a Turkey myself, that's one bird I've grown sick of, it's bland and lacks flavour, no meat should need a sauce in my eyes, good meat should shine on it's own. Anyway, I've ordered a full rack of lamb instead. Here in the UK, Welsh (-from Wales, it's a country Americans) salt-marsh lamb is the best, those lambs graze on herbs and grasses in sea meadows which are kissed by the prevailing sea breeze. The herbs they feed on consist of exactly what you would add to lamb traditionally; mint, thyme, (sea) lavender, that sort of thing. The meat is sooo tender and delicious, It should look and smell impressive when carving up at the table. So anyway, how about yourselves?     "
RE" Lamb is somewhat less popular in the US, but we did used to broil lamb patties (ground) almost every week when  I was a lad. We would serve it with mint jelly. We usually have ham on Christmas, and this year is no eception.Much less laborious cooking regimen than turkey. "

I always imagined that was the case, although I suppose it depends where you are in the US. I've made my own mint jelly, it's in my fridge now looking pretty - I stuck frozen mint leaves in the jelly for presentation ^^. I hate the jars you get in supermarkets, they always taste of vinegar and little else.  I used boiled down granny smith apples as thickener (natural pectin), and fresh mint from my garden. If you use good quality white wine vinegar, the acidity will burn off easier and you don't get that bitter taste in your jelly.  

I'm tucking into a Chinese style roast duck very fucking soon now, it's flavoured with star anise, orange juice, black bean paste honey and cloves. I made it myself, I used a bicycle pump to blow it up this morning :D 

Enjoy your lunches all, have a good one tonight also. 
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Mrnitropb

I've got a pack of bacon thicker than a Dr Seuss book ready to cook for breakfast. And some clementines and Brut for mimosas. Dinner will be chinease take out.

queenulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By queenulhu

try smoked turkey with sour cranberry sauce [the homemade kind with chunks of cran & lemon peel... so tangy!] all over it... it's the JAM!