What's more important in a relationship? Question of the Day (8-7-10)

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'll just sit here and wait for somebody to make a chemistry pun.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

People with shared interests usually have Chemistry...

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By adoggz

hmmmm... which one means sex?

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By one_2nd
@adoggz said:
" hmmmm... which one means sex? "
chemistry. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

chemistry because you can have shared interest, however that's more like a friend. Then again that's how some ppl meets and goes out with each other because they are both pot heads and share common interest, like getting high.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Linkin10362
@LiquidPrince said:
" People with shared interests usually have Chemistry... "
This.
Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dragon_Fire

Chem.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ryax
@LiquidPrince said:
thats what i was thinking. isnt it pretty much the same thing when you're already in a relation ship?
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By astrotriforce
@Ryax said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
thats what i was thinking. isnt it pretty much the same thing when you're already in a relation ship? "
But what is more important? I've seen many relationships suffer after a time when the chemistry wears out between the two and they don't actually have much in common. They just end up doing things seperately and eventually parting ways.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ryax
@astrotriforce said:
" @Ryax said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
thats what i was thinking. isnt it pretty much the same thing when you're already in a relation ship? "
But what is more important? I've seen many relationships suffer after a time when the chemistry wears out between the two and they don't actually have much in common. They just end up doing things seperately and eventually parting ways. "
in my relationship i have both chemistry and similar interests, and i cant even begin to imagine how one could be without the other. those two things go hand in hand most of the times
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adoggz
@one_2nd: 
cool, that is what I chose.
Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thekingoftoilets

I went with shared interests. Look at it this way, chemistry is nice and all, but it can wear out, where, on the other hand, if you have a girl/guy who likes some of the things you do, you hit things off right away, have something to talk about and tease and get better at together. Yea, shared interests indeed.

Also, "sex" is a shared interest ;)

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meltac
@thekingoftoilets said:
" I went with shared interests. Look at it this way, chemistry is nice and all, but it can wear out, where, on the other hand, if you have a girl/guy who likes some of the things you do, you hit things off right away, have something to talk about and tease and get better at together. Yea, shared interests indeed.  Also, "sex" is a shared interest ;) "
But isn't that just a friend? 

I chosed chem.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

Shared interests, since otherwise, she'd most likely destroy my video games, and any sense of chemistry with it. Of course, this is assuming that one of her interests is me, which is assuming a lot.

Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thekingoftoilets
@Meltac said:
" @thekingoftoilets said:
" I went with shared interests. Look at it this way, chemistry is nice and all, but it can wear out, where, on the other hand, if you have a girl/guy who likes some of the things you do, you hit things off right away, have something to talk about and tease and get better at together. Yea, shared interests indeed.  Also, "sex" is a shared interest ;) "
But isn't that just a friend?   I chosed chem. "
See, this thread says "What's more important in a relationship?" Friendship is a relationship. So yea, even friends with shared interests are better then chemistry IMO.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Chemistry.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ryax
@thekingoftoilets said:
" @Meltac said:
" @thekingoftoilets said:
But isn't that just a friend?   I chosed chem. "
See, this thread says "What's more important in a relationship?" Friendship is a relationship. So yea, even friends with shared interests are better then chemistry IMO. "
yeah but with the options id think this is pretty much geared towards a dating relationship.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
@adoggz said:

" hmmmm... which one means sex? "

Yeah and where's the Boobies option? 

@LiquidPrince said:
I agree with this
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By teh_destroyer

If you don't know what is more important then you should not be in a relationship.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By astrotriforce
@thekingoftoilets said:
^^ This is exactly what I was talking about.
DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Interests. I think chemistry means very little if you have nothing in common.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Bruce

I think these would be better if they were once a week, not every day. 

Personally, I'd say "Chemistry", mainly because I already know what I like -- not a huge fan of sharing those things -- so I want to experience new things and vice versa with the person. Too much familiarity becomes boring after a while.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By astrotriforce
@DiscoDuck8k said:
" Interests. I think chemistry means very little if you have nothing in common. "
Agreed .
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

Isn't chemistry the only answer :|

ie. something that keeps people together regardless of the situation. Otherwise everyone and anyone who likes video games (or another shared interest) would be an ideal partner...

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainObvious

Where is my smartass option C?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You need some shared interests but the chemisty is way more important for a stable relationship.     

AussieBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AussieBomb

Here's the thing friends, family, girlfriend/boyfriend etc etc even co-worker. Both aspects  are what really makes a relationship of any sort special, but I do think chemistry is more important then shared interests simply because as the saying goes opposites attract, this would not be true without chemistry. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder
@AussieBomb said:
"because as the saying goes opposites attract, this would not be true without chemistry.  "
but what about the saying "birds of a feather flock together"?
Mussab86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mussab86

The word "Mutual" itself. Mutual love, care, trust, respect, tenderness.. etc 
If both have the same feelings, then the relationship could work. If not, then you better to look for someone who shares with you her/his feelings.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By astrotriforce
@BeachThunder said:

" @AussieBomb said:

"because as the saying goes opposites attract, this would not be true without chemistry.  "
but what about the saying "birds of a feather flock together"? "
Ooo very interesting. I do agree that I think you need both to some degree. But the question is about what you think is MORE important. 

@AussieBomb said:

" Here's the thing friends, family, girlfriend/boyfriend etc etc even co-worker. Both aspects  are what really makes a relationship of any sort special, but I do think chemistry is more important then shared interests simply because as the saying goes opposites attract, this would not be true without chemistry.  "

I've always disagreed with the whole "opposites attract" thing. And at least for the people I know where opposites did attract, they didn't last long. 

@CaptainObvious said:

" Where is my smartass option C? "

I'm not a fan of smart-assery, so you don't get your vote C! ;) 

@BeachThunder said:

" Isn't chemistry the only answer :|

ie. something that keeps people together regardless of the situation. Otherwise everyone and anyone who likes video games (or another shared interest) would be an ideal partner...

"
Interesting point. But my brother and his going on five or six-years girlfriend have great chemistry, but they don't share a ton of similar interests. I think they have enough to sustain them, but I can also see it being a reason for them drifting, especially since she is highly intellectual and way into schooling, and my bro. is the opposite (he's smart, but he's not booksmart, suffers from dyslexia, and always struggled in school and with basic reading and spelling. Much less math). So while I agree that chemistry has kept them going strong and good for as long as it has (not that they haven't had bumps, but they've dated longer than some/most people are married), I could also see a lack of shared interests being they're downfall. Hopefully not though, but I think part of the problem is that they don't put enough effort into sharing each other's interests as I think they should. Then again, Jenn has been playing video games more lately, so that's a plus! :P

@Bruce said:

" I think these would be better if they were once a week, not every day.  Personally, I'd say "Chemistry", mainly because I already know what I like -- not a huge fan of sharing those things -- so I want to experience new things and vice versa with the person. Too much familiarity becomes boring after a while. "

This is also a very good point. And I think that is a genuine opinion, and some people wouldn't have it any other way. I think it's very valid and all the more power to you. As far posting them once a week, I honestly don't post enough to consider doing it only once a week. I want to see how long I can keep it going, and it gives me a reason to come back everyday and get more involved. Thanks for the input though :)

Here is what my mom says, she's been married going on 30 years now. 

"Chemistry ends, interests don't. So, I'd say interests. :)"
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust
@DiscoDuck8k said:
" Interests. I think chemistry means very little if you have nothing in common. "
This is it.  Love can evolve from friendship.  Not every relationship needs to remain stuck in "the friend zone".  Spending time with a person who shares the same interests creates greater opportunities for intimate feelings to develop.  This time together also strengthens the bonds of trust which is equally important.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RVonE

What a weird question. It is never about which is more important in a relationship. They both matter and aren't reducible to a comparison based on some sort of quantitative logic (this aspect accounts for 30% of the relationship, so it is less important). A relationship that is supposed to last needs both qualities to be present.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By guiseppe

Chemistry. Some shared interests is nice to have, but it doesn't have to be 100/100.

AussieBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AussieBomb
@BeachThunder: Thats also true but you can have shared interests with someone and not go out with them. I mean there's plenty of girls who love MMA, guitar, beer and weight lifting. Doesn't mean we will hit it off straight away, here's the thing though the question itself is flawed because a really good relationship one that you know lasts is one that has both not one or the other. Relationships are far too big to be so simply put into black or white type perception.
leegmoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By leegmoser

Well, everyone would have their own opinion on this, but this comment at least explained why and made a valid point.

Communication. After many failed relationships, this is what I've learned. If you both cannot communicate with each other there is no trust. Without trust there is no love. That is why communication should be more important than trust. You have to be able to express your needs and wants. Your expectations. To get to know each other you have to communicate. You have to talk about yourself to the other person. Nobody is a mind reader. If you don't communicate the other person won't know what you expect. You have to tell them. You also need to express your satisfaction with them. If they don't feel like you are happy with what they do it will make them feel unappreciated. Your relationship would suffer. Basically you can't even start a relationship without communication. Therefore, communication is the foundation but it is also the tools in which you build with.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sanity

Honesty, if you cant trust them to be truthful with you then nothing else matters.

Also, this is a old fucking thread. Im confused as it says theirs only 2 posts in here but its lies! I think something may have broke...

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DonPixel

sexual chemistry does kind of matter, lots.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First post on the site and he resurrects one of astrotriforce's old shitty "question of the day" threads. lol