• 82 results
fullthrottle49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fullthrottle49

After hearing the crew talk about living expenses around SF and NY, I am curious to hear about the living costs around the nation/world. Just interested in what people have to say, feel free to let out some rage about how much you have to pay.

Holy crap thanks for the responses y'all! I pay $500, and about $40 in utilities for a one bed, one bath in Nebraska. Really lucked out with my place, it's a historic building in my city (built before 1925).

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bleshoo

I got sick of paying $900 a month renting a 1 bedroom apartment and bought a 3 bedroom house, so I now pay around $600 a month Canadian.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strangestories

Live in Charlotte, NC in a two bed apartment with my partner and split a $902 bill including water and recycling. We don't need the second bedroom but we got stuck with it when we first moved in. We used to pay like $870 tops but they increased our rent AFTER we resigned our lease when the complex changed management. They also added a few weird monthly fees like storm drain maintainance which we didn't have before. Otherwise it's a nice place with a workout room, laundry room, pool, playground, and dog park. Very family-oriented so we have lots of kids playing around the area.

That said I can't wait to get out of this hellhole city and move back to a more rural area.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I pay about $2500/month for my 2bed/2bath condo downtown in Calgary. Condo fees are $500/month, which is disgusting, but at least it includes all my utilities except electricity+internet. It's definitely more expensive than average for the city by quite a bit but MY VIEW!

I'd say rental prices for a 1bedroom apartment are probably averaging around $1100/month here and a 2 bedroom goes for $1600. Prices are high because we have a lot of Oil and Gas company HQs here, it's rather frustrating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I'm in Eastern Washington. Currently paying $372 plus utilities for one room in a 3 bedroom condo. I'm about to move to a house where I'll pay $450 flat. A little more expensive depending on utilities, but I'm tired of my current roommates, and the commute is shorter.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I paid roughly $900 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment in the south suburbs of chicago. I now pay a roughly $900 mortgage for a 2 bedroom house in the same area.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in Dublin, Ireland. My rent works out at about $1050 a month for a one bedroom apartment in the city. Bills average about $140 a month.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arabes

My mortgage is about 700 a month on a 2 bedroom semi-d house with another 150 - 200 in bills. I am in the west of Ireland in a town called Ennis.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Suburb around pittsburgh. $750 for a two bedroom, other costs like cable, electricity, and water bring it to about $1000.

Clubbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in Austin Texas and pay 1690 in rent for a two bedroom appartment. This includes non-optional valet trash and a covered parking space. I used to pay 900 for a two bedroom in Very North Austin (just on the other side of the Williamson County line), but became tired of the hour and a half - two hour commute for work. It was also an older complex and a little less space.

It is probably worth noting that without traffic the drive to work from the old place was only 20 minutes.

pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

$1350 For one room in a two bedroom apartment, with about $80 in utilities a month, in an expensive part of Queens. My commute is basically instant though, which is a complete rarity here.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hatking

A small city about 2.5 hours south of Chicago, Illinois. I pay $633 for a 811 sq. ft. two bedroom apartment. Cost of living here is pretty great, but even still it's a good deal.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around $800 a month in Vermont, even less if you're willing to live deep in the woods.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay about 3300 (with property tax and utilities) a month for my two-garage detached house in the greater Toronto area

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Zelyre

In the Chicago suburbs, I was paying $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom. Add another $150 in utilities and $50 for parking.

Now, I'm paying $900 for mortgage and property tax on a 2 bedroom house. Add in $250 for association and $150 in utilities. Really wishing I had gone with a bigger place when I bought it, but I was dead set on plunking down a 25% downpayment.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

1900 for a single bedroom in Queens NY but my GF helps out so I pay around 1500 including parking and utilities... I hate NY prices. You can find cheaper places but we need somewhere close to NYC and the highway for me to get into Long Island and we didn't want to roommate.

Avatar image for tastycakesmcg33
TastyCakesMcG33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live in Knoxville, TN. $1100 for a 3-bed 3-bath town home before electric and internet. Thankfully I've got two roommates that I've known since college days so I end up paying roughly $460 a month for everything. Pretty good set up all things considered.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here in Brazil you can pay something between 200 and 400 USD (something like 800 to 1600 brazilian reais) for a good apartment downtown, but you can pay upwards to 600~700 on the expensive places

(Here in Curitiba where I live)

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By planetfunksquad

£450 a month for a 2 bedroom flat here in Salford. We've been here about 5 years though and our landlord is sound, so he hasn't upped the rent like the other flats in the block. The rest of them go for £600-700. Train to the centre of Manchester is literally across the road from us, take about 10 minutes. Flats there go for £1200 upwards and are apparently rented exclusively by fucking idiots who think that thats an OK amount to pay for rent in a city where you can pay half that to live 10 minutes away.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1250 for a junior 1br basement in Astoria, Queens.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay about $715 for a 2 bedroom apartment. We used to live in a similarly sized 3 bedroom place that was just slightly larger all things considered but just wasn't worth the money. But with the wife studying we had to cut back. Eventually I'll probably cave and look for a house instead. It will probably be cheaper in the long run and I miss having an actual garage for my car (especially when it's the seasonal time to switch tires). I have also noted that the older I get the less I care for having neighbors in the same house, especially when they steal your laundry time so you have to ring their doorbell and give them a lecture.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edinburgh, Scotland here, I pay the equivalent of about 1300$ for a 2 bed flat with private garden, plus around 300 for council tax and utilities.

wellmax81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm south of Manchester in the UK, our mortgage is £680 for a 2 bedroom mid-terrace .. the area is "sought after", so we paid a premium for the house. To rent, our place would be about £900 a month.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1450 a month before utilities for our 1,400 sq. ft. 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with attached garage in suburban Kansas City (Kansas side)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chop

In Calgary, paying $985 for a one bedroom apartment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

350€ each month for a small , one bedroom city house and I pay around 150€ for gas, electric and internet in Ghent Belgium. It's very little when compared too the average price of around 600€-700€ for a comparable size house.

crow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are your guy's average salary? I live around Kansas City, Kansas rent around here is anywhere from $650-$1200 for a one bedroom apartment, not including utilities. Depends on what part of town/quality of apartment you want live in.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: Bloody hell!! I have never looked at flats in Manchester City centre because I avoid it like the plague but that's ridiculous.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's too damn high to be honest. I'm at $1230 per month (not including utilities) for a two bedroom, two bath on the Florida space coast. My rent has nearly doubled in the past six years for no real discernible reason to me. If it were closer to Miami (three hours away), Jacksonville (three hours away), or Orlando (one hour away), I could maybe understand it, but it's really in the middle of nowhere. The economy around here has also never rebounded that much since 2008 - most people's salaries have been pretty stagnant for years and not keeping up with the increases in costs of living.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a city near Little Rock, Arkansas I rent a small two bedroom, one bath duplex for $350 plus utilities (which tend to work out around $250). Rent around these parts is typically 400-900 for an apartment depending on neighborhood and size. Average income is something like $40k.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metro-west Massachusetts here (Marlborough). Paying $1700/month for rent for 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1100sq ft; heat/hot water are the only included utilities, so we also pay for cable/internet/electricity. Laundry is also another expense. In-building, shared with 23 other units and only 2 washers/dryers between them. Most of the time, either a washer or dryer is broken, or one of each! It's basically a fight to get laundry in most of the time that it would be convenient for someone working a normal 8-5 job.

When my partner and I moved here from Worcester (20 minutes west of here) 6 years ago, we were only paying $1250 for a place with a 2nd bathroom in a basement-level unit and essentially the same square footage. Rent continued to rise roughly $100 a year since we've lived out here - it's insane and we really cannot take another rent increase...

Paunwcheaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Paunwcheaux

I'm on the peninsula south of SF and it's $2500 for a tiny one bedroom. We actually feel like we are living conservatively because it is cheaper than a lot of other places around us.. this place is crazy but it starts to feel normal after awhile.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rent a duplex. It's 800 a month. 2 bedroom/1 full bath. I'm not sure of the size, but we have a tiny kitchen/dining room area, living room with a closet, two bedrooms upstairs with closets, the bathroom and a linen shelf in the upstairs hallway. We also have a pretty small basement with washer and dryer. We pay all of the utilities, heating oil, electricity, except water/sewage.

I live in Maine in a small city. The location of the house is walking distance from just about everything - the downtown, the high, middle and elementary schools, and local parks, including the waterfront. So it's a nice place to live. We also have a big yard, especially considering how we're in town and yard space is at a premium, but we never really use.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

$2100 for a Two-bedroom in Brooklyn, NY. Yep.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Turambar

My current job pays for my apartment (high school teacher at an international school in Africa), so my monthly expenses pretty much amounts to about 1500 Dirhams (150 USD).

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Western suburbs of Chicago (Schaumburg) and I pay $1000 for a one bedroom.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: yep! Like, were not in London, you can pay not-extortionate prices in a nice area that are close as fuck to the centre if that's what you need. It fucking baffles me.

waterfallsuite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're in Takoma Park, MD which is very close to DC and pay $1475/month. It's a 2 bedroom/1 bath triplex (one above, one below) but has a super nice porch and free heating. We just pay internet, water and electricity which is never that much. I got a job and only had a couple of days to find something 300 miles away. Tons of public transit and Uber is very nice with only 1 car. I don't know it's kind of a lot, but it's a really nice neighborhood with lots of kids and families so it's pretty safe. IDK we'll probably move next year (UGH). DC is great though, despite the incoming turd golem.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$2100 for decent-sized one bedroom in a suburb of San Francisco. Around here, that's a good deal. It's a great place to live in many ways, but if my job didn't require staying in the area I'd move somewhere cheaper.

Will likely be buying a house soon so I can at least stop feeling like I'm dumping money down a toilet.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1400 (excluding utilities) for a studio (500 sq ft) in the Virginia suburbs of DC. Which is pretty standard around here. Kind of an old building too, without some of the amenities the newer buildings have. I've been thinking of moving to a one-bedroom, but I'd really like to keep things south of $2000.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

2 bed 2 bath in downtown Seattle. $3k a month, includes a parking garage spot.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think thd last time I rented it was a 2bdrm/3 bath apartment. It was 2k/mo with 3 underground parking spots. With utilities it was closer to 2500usd/mo. The main problem I had with it was that it was close to CSUN so there were alot of college kids around and not being that age I didn't really appreciate it.

It was also about 90 miles away from where I drove 5 days a week so I put alot of miles on my car quick, and spent 10am-10pm gone. It was a nice apartment though, close to pretty much whatever I'd want except work/family. Also since it was a 2 story apt it only had 3 units for the building(was the only 3 large apartments they had) and I was on the end so I never really heard anything from neighbors connected to our apt, and we were far enough away from the main complex that we didn't hear much of them unless we were outside.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$1400 for a 3 bedroom house in St. John's, Newfoundland. I'm a student, so sharing the place with 2 others. Rent sucks.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

About $2400/month mortgage payment for me (taxes, utilities, maintenance included). Downtown Toronto, 1 bedroom+den condo.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By monkeyking1969

I pay $1,500 a month for a detached cottage with a loft (It is a two room cottage- one living room/kitchen and one bathroom with a small 'stand up' loft above). My rent is about $100 less than the average on the island, but I pay for all utilities except water (it is illegal to charge for water to tenants in Mass)

IndexNantucketMassachusettsNational
Median home price$866,700$329,900$175,700
Median rent asked$1,654$1,088$920
  • The cost of living in Nantucket is 56% higher than the Massachusetts average.
  • The cost of living in Nantucket is 103% higher than the national average.
  • Massachusetts general sales tax is 23% higher than the national average.
  • The cost of housing in Nantucket is 299% higher than the national average.
  • The median home price in Nantucket is 393% higher than the national average.

The median rent asked in Nantucket is 80% higher than the national average
STATS from http://www.areavibes.com/

T
o be honest, that $900K for a house seems low, that would be the price for a small townhouse. A real house is closer to $1.2 million.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rahf

With the going dollar rates my big 1½ room + kitchen apartment sits at around $620 in a central Stockholm location.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Terra1909

$1,025 without utilities for a basement studio in San Diego. I'm in a pretty desirable neighborhood, though. I'm jealous of what some of you pay.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£395 per month on the outskirts of Durham for a 1 bedroom flat. That's well under half my monthly payslip.