• 96 results
guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By guthwulf

Anything important I'm missing? It just seems very sleek, but without a lot of substance to it.

Please enlighten me Chrome afficionados.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Cwaff

Simplicity.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

Nice and clean.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By moelarrycurly

FAST

peelermcsweepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By peelermcsweepy

its also usually the quickest

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

It definitely does load pages quicker and more efficiently than other browsers.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CptChiken

Super fast and simple

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate not having the little 'Home' button on the address bar.

That's about the only thing I dislike about it. Oh and it crashed all the time for me.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp

Fast and simple. What you need for a browser... 

@guthwulf: i just read your second part...substance? What the fuck do you want out of a browser? Are you the sort of person that loads their toolbar with search engines and dumb add-ons?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd
@Khann: Go into the options and turn it back on or alternatively you can learn the keyboard shortcut. CMD+ Shift + H on Mac and Alt+Home on Windows. 

Chrome is fast, simple and the best part is that it has flash built in and everything updates silently in the background so you don't have to worry about it.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's faster than other browsers. I just wish I wasn't so hopelessly dependent on my Firefox Addons, so I could make the switch. Chrome is getting there with addons though, hopefully I'll be able to drop FF at some point in the near future.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By guthwulf

OK. Fast and simple seems to be the general consensus.
Then I seem to have gotten the gist of it. There's not much in terms of customization then - plug-ins, add-ons and the like, right?

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RankRabbit

I like it when I start typing what I want in the address bar and it knows what I want, sometimes with just one letter. It loads youtube videos slower than my other browsers though which is weird because it's all google, and that is all thank you.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
@guthwulf: what sort of add-ons do you have that keeps you from switching?
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By butano
@Khann said:
" I hate not having the little 'Home' button on the address bar.  That's about the only thing I dislike about it. Oh and it crashed all the time for me. "
There's a home button on Chrome. Check your settings and see if it's checked or not. I'm using version 8.0.552.215, which says is the current version.
Arsenal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Arsenal86

its quick and clean

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xMP44x

It's very fast and clean. Plus, Google only released the fully fledged Web Store for it, meaning that addons and extensions for it will be produced at a higher rate. The new Web Store means that companies can earn money from producing their extensions, and also that part-time developers and hobbyists can also create extensions to expand on an excellent browser, all on the same platform. Chrome also has a minimalistic interface, meaning that you will see more of the web-page than you would in a browser such as Firefox. It's a sweet browser, but it doesn't work perfectly with the wiki. I believe that is an issue which plagues all WebKit based internet browsers though, as Camino (the browser I'm typing this on) uses Gecko (like Firefox), and yet runs perfectly despite having a very low market share in comparison.

Chrome's speed is the main appeal for most Chrome users, but there are also other reasons. It runs in multiple processes, meaning that one tab cannot crash the entire browser or anything like that, and it commands less of your machine's RAM than Mozilla Firefox. Firefox is a superb browser as well, but it has its flaws in that it demands a large amount of memory - particularly if you install a large number of add-ons to truly make the browser your own. In addition, Chrome adds a feature that Firefox is only really trying in beta at the moment: being able to install and use an add-on without restarting the browser. It makes Chrome an excellent choice for those who constantly want to expand on the one base browser with different addons and different versions of the same concept.

In addition, some services are beginning to adapt for Chrome. On the Web Store, for example, I found one called 'Salon for Chrome'. Alright, I don't have a clue what Salon is, but it says a lot when a company is prepared to create an addon to give Chrome users an entirely different experience to those who use other popular browsers. If you don't like Chrome at the moment, install the essential addons, such as AdBlock Plus (make sure to whitelist Giant Bomb though - embrace the Bomb!), and see if the browser appeals to you then. You can also find more themes to expand the visual appeal of Chrome.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By thebatmobile

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's... CHROME!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoelTGM

I used firefox for a long time, but google chrome is faster, and also I figured I may as well use it because I use gmail, so it's nice to have a browser that connects to my google account and email, and easily syncs bookmarks between computers.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beej

I'm with @MattyFTM on this, I'm still too reliant on my firefox addons. That said, the last few days I've been using chrome more and more, who knows maybe I'm about to switch? I still need my noscript for chrome though.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ShadowKnight508

To me, Chrome loads some websites faster and the Youtube seems to load videos slightly quicker, but I still prefer FireFox.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By guthwulf
@xMP44x said:
Chrome also has a minimalistic interface, meaning that you will see more of the web-page than you would in a browser such as Firefox.
Chrome's speed is the main appeal for most Chrome users, but there are also other reasons. It runs in multiple processes, meaning that one tab cannot crash the entire browser or anything like that, and it commands less of your machine's RAM than Mozilla Firefox. Firefox is a superb browser as well, but it has its flaws in that it demands a large amount of memory - particularly if you install a large number of add-ons to truly make the browser your own. In addition, Chrome adds a feature that Firefox is only really trying in beta at the moment: being able to install and use an add-on without restarting the browser. It makes Chrome an excellent choice for those who constantly want to expand on the one base browser with different addons and different versions of the same concept.
That sounds really interesting to me. I have mainly started considering changing the browser because Firefox has become a real memory hog. I really like how you can customize it exactly the way you like, but performance is obviously critical. My first impression with Chrome was that it is indeed pretty fast, but it seemed (at a quick first glance, mind you) like it lacked the versatility of FF (or it's addons at least).

Definitely seems like there are some really interesting features in Chrome, but I don't know whether I am ready to make the switch yet.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By benpack

I like chrome for my video viewing purposes, FireFox for everything else.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ViciousReiven

The boot speed is the most important thing to me, and Chrome starts really fast. 
 Only problems I have with Chrome are: 
Sometimes websites are just broken, for example right now I can't login to Xbox.com, it gets caught in a loop. 
Secondly, the adblock add-on doesn't block video ads like it does in FireFox, but that's a fault of the developers of that specific add-on.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Levio

Mathematically the fastest.  You can't argue with MATH.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

It's simple and easy to use.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gilsham
@beej said:

" I'm with  @MattyFTM on this, I'm still too reliant on my firefox addons. That said, the last few days I've been using chrome more and more, who knows maybe I'm about to switch? I still need my noscript for chrome though. "

chrome has noscript built in but it is a little tough to maintain a white/black list, thought a whitelist is easier as a button saying scripts are blocked appears in the address bar which you can use to add the site to the white list 

I also love the chrome address bar with its tab complete site searching and being able to search just in the address bar I also use the "paste and goto" or "paste and search" options on the address bar context menu, the tab ripping(turning a tab into a new window) also works a lot better than firefox, the only thing I miss is double click on the tab bar to open a new tab and using / to start a page search
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

google spies on what your into :P 

it's simple a  browser.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman

The new Web Store makes it awesome. 

Oh yeah, and SPEED!

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By beej
@gilsham said:
" @beej said:
" I'm with @MattyFTM on this, I'm still too reliant on my firefox addons. That said, the last few days I've been using chrome more and more, who knows maybe I'm about to switch? I still need my noscript for chrome though. "
chrome has noscript built in but it is a little tough to maintain a white/black list "
Well now I feel dumb.
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rattle618

Speed, stability, synched bookmarks and clean interface are the main reasons I use it.  
The downloads section could use some work on it, also compatibility may be an issue on some sites and I really hate that it opens .pdf´s by default within itself, but none of those things prevent me from using Chrome and Chrome only (no need to have another backup browser installed or anything like that).

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGremp

The "octobar" is the best thing to happen to web browsing in a long time.  The URL bar doubles as a google search bar, complete with auto-suggestions and instant results without even having to press enter, and you can search from specific websites by typing the name of the website and hitting tab.  For example, if I type "you" and hit tab, then type "piano cat", it'll search for Piano Cat on youtube. 

Also, I love being able to move tabs from window to window.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane
@CaLe said:
" Have tried to make the switch to Chrome about 4 times now. Never stick with it more than a week.. I really just prefer Firefox. "
The same here.  I don't know why, but FF just keeps dragging me back.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Brians

I dislike the lack of menu bar in chrome.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gilsham
@Rattle618 said:
" Speed, stability, synched bookmarks and clean interface are the main reasons I use it.  The downloads section could use some work on it, also compatibility may be an issue on some sites and I really hate that it opens .pdf´s by default within itself, but none of those things prevent me from using Chrome and Chrome only (no need to have another backup browser installed or anything like that). "
if you disable the pdf plugin it should download the pdf so you can open it rather than open it in the browser
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jakob187
@MattyFTM said:
" It's faster than other browsers. I just wish I wasn't so hopelessly dependent on my Firefox Addons, so I could make the switch. Chrome is getting there with addons though, hopefully I'll be able to drop FF at some point in the near future. "
Many Firefox add-ons can work with Chrome...and if it doesn't, there is probably an equivalent out there for it. 

Personally, I like Google Chrome because there is no clutter, everything is super simplistic, the page loads are quicker, and it allows for open development just like most other Google products.
Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Regal

Minimalistic, simple and fast. It's the arch nemesis to everything clunky. The design direction has "won" since both IE 9 and Firefox 4 are faithful emulations of the Chrome interface, so the difference isn't as big now that the whole market has been made Chrome-like.  

I still tried out the newest Firefox but despite mimicking Chrome so diligently, even down to the home icon, there is still an andress bar and a separate search bar which is insane. New tab doesn't automatically show most visited sites or recently closed tabs, just a white page. All these things are probably fixable if you want to but since I started using Chrome I've lost patience in optimizing the browser manually. Google Chrome updates frequently, quietly and implements small and simple improvements all the time. The first thing I noticed when I started typing in the adressbar in Firefox that it was unresponsive, Chrome now implements Google instant into the browser itself so it shows you your result starting with the first letter. Even the new Firefox does nothing, nor does it intuit what you are searching for like omnibox and when you have typed or selected something and press enter it isn't as snappy. These things makes it really hard to go back to another browser after you've used Chrome for a while.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

The only thing I dislike about Chrome is the way gifs often take forever to load and if there's a few, can sometimes kill the page.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck

It's fast and all that, but I can't use it for long. I love my Firefox and its addons too much

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Baillie

What add-ons does everyone keep saying they depend on? It's an internet browser, I can't see why people want to bloat it with things.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#41  Edited By Sin4profit

i use Firefox still for a lot of things but i noticed video hada lot of dropped frames and it seemed to get worse and worse over time. 
I switched to Chrome for video related content, video plays much smoother in Chrome for me. 

only thing i really miss in Firefox;  
it had a better spell checker.
quick searches ( but i've adapted to typing out my searches in the address bar.)

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Geno

1. Fast 
2. Has most of the useful addons for Firefox, along with a few useful exclusives of its own 
3. Updating is automatically done in the background, users never have to do anything (you don't even need to be notified)
4. Built in PDF viewer 
5. Minimalist interface gives pretty much the greatest possible screen space.  

I've said it pretty much since Chrome came out, Chrome looks like to Firefox what Firefox looks like to IE. People laughed at me then, well now look what everyone is raving about >.>

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By Forcen

I use Firefox mostly, but when i watch livestreams like TNT or long videos i always use chrome.
It's the separate processes for each tab, and its habit to not crash the whole browser if a certain tab crashes that i like. 

I prefer Firefox for normal websurfing though, mainly for all the great addons.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guthwulf: It's like a billion times quicker than the other browsers. They took the best technology of Firefox and Safari (webkit), and then made it better. 

The best thing about Chrome other than the speed is the smart way the tabs are arranged + move when you open and close them. They are always in the right spot. 

Firefox is good, but it is way slower (for me), and the interface is too big (that will soon change). Some of Mozilla's plans for Firefox are pretty interesting.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Castiel

Nice, clean and fast. 

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheFreeMan

it's ridiculously fast.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Enigma777

Fast and doesn't start chugging if you keep it open for days like FF. Also streaming videos work flawlessly and you don't have to bother with crash-prone plug-ins.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BraveToaster

It's fast and it looks good.

ka_tet19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By ka_tet19
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By captain_clayman

easy, fast and free.  just like us americans like em.