What's the best lightsaber battle from the Star Wars films?

• 85 results
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By frankfartmouth

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By frankfartmouth

All the Star Wars talk lately has got me wondering. I know I might be missing a few here, but these are certainly the majors.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Krullban

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul easily was the best lightsaber battle out of all of the films. Say what you will about the rest of episode 1, but that was badass.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

The end of Jedi. Yeah they weren't jumping and flipping an all that but that fight had so much more emotion then any fight in any of the new movies. It was the culmination of Luke trying to bring Vader back and you actually gave a damn about the characters and the score was amazing. Fancy choreography doesn't hold a candle to that if it has no soul.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By joshthebear

Luke/Vader from Empire for my money.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Luke vs Vader in Empire is fucking awesome.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SocietySays

I went with D. Say what you want about the new trilogy, the battles were well done. I bet most will choose something from the old trilogy because.. you know... =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with the one from Empire. The one from Revenge was also pretty good, if silly. I would have gone with the one from Menace, but I recalled seeing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3atbH5hfg

Please forgive the lack of proper linking. The mobile forum text field is pretty bare bones.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By stonyman65

As much as I despise the prequels (especially The Phantom Menace) that Darth Maul battle was fucking insane.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikethekilla

Oni-wan vs Anikan

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flindip

Luke/Vader in Empire Strikes Back was easily the best looking in terms of how it was shot. Its not overly flashy, but it has a great tone.

One of my favorite shots in all of Star Wars is when Luke enters the corridor, right before the lightsaber fight that spills out onto the open catwalk. Luke gets jumped by Vader and he has his back to the camera. Its such a brilliant shot, because it makes Vader look massive. Luke looks completely outmatched. It perfectly encompasses the tone of the entire fight.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343

Luke/Vader in Empire.

Was it the most fun? No, not at all. But it was cinematically beautiful and crescendoed with one of the most memorable moments in all of film.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaMisterChief

No jar jar?

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By myniceicelife

@project343 said:

Luke/Vader in Empire.

Was it the most fun? No, not at all. But it was cinematically beautiful and crescendoed with one of the most memorable moments in all of film.

This is my exact thought on the luke vs vader fight, except in the poll I didn't count the entirety of the fight into it as I was just looking at the lightsaber battle part which lead me to obi-wan vs anakin since the emperor came in with his lightning making it not a all lightsaber battle. In reality the obi-wan vs anakin battle was going for the same affect as the luke vs vader battle with the way it played out, but didn't have the same effect since people knew what the outcome was going to be.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pr1mus

Yoda vs Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith. Short and sweet. Also the senate pods throwing and "yo, your lightnings ain't shit!" was pretty great.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

@TheSouthernDandy said:

The end of Jedi. Yeah they weren't jumping and flipping an all that but that fight had so much more emotion then any fight in any of the new movies. It was the culmination of Luke trying to bring Vader back and you actually gave a damn about the characters and the score was amazing. Fancy choreography doesn't hold a candle to that if it has no soul.

Pretty much this. For simple visual flair, it's either the end of Phantom Menace, the end of Revenge, or the end of Empire, but I liked how the end of Return of the Jedi had so many conflicting emotions in it. I can see how it might come across as hammy but I never see it that way.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By DarthOrange

Yoda vs Emperor was a pretty big one you missed.

I think my favorite is Anakin vs Dooku in Episode 3. The ending looks like something straight out of Mortal Kombat with the emperor seated looking like Shao Kahn and it even ends with a fatality.

I honestly love all of Star Wars though and might give a different answer on a different day.

ZeeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZeeL

While the duel from empire was great, I had to go with the duel from jedi. I second that the emotion in that one was so great. Even though you couldn't see Vader's face, you could still feel even the emotion seeping from his cold robotic suit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By TheHT

Luke going nuts at the end of ROTJ is the coolest moment out of both trilogies. I've also really come to appreciate how the fighting in the original trilogy wasn't completely ridiculous. The Darth Maul duel was more acrobatic, but Anakin vs Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS is just silly.

Yoda vs. Sidious was fucking rad though. Shoulda put it on the list!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

My favorite is the end of Return of the Jedi. You can just feel the emotion as Vader taunts Luke and then he goes nuts.

xlab3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xlab3000

@TheHT said:

Luke going nuts at the end of ROTJ is the coolest moment out of both trilogies. I've also really come to appreciate how the fighting in the original trilogy wasn't completely ridiculous. The Darth Maul duel was more acrobatic, but Anakin vs Obi-Wan at the end of ROTS is just silly.

this is a true star wars fan

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pr1mus
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darth Maul motherfuckers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@TheSouthernDandy said:

This.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@TheSouthernDandy said:

This is the only right answer.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Clonedzero

luke vs. vader in empire strikes back.

its just great, its absolutely clear that vader is just toying with luke. like he could absolutely kick his ass at anytime he wanted but he doesnt becauses theres so much more going on in that fight than the actual fight.

though the fight at the end of ROTJ is a close second.

the over the top nonsense in the prequels is just boring imo, its just flashy, flippy nonsense. im also a believer that yoda should have NEVER had a lightsaber.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AiurFlux

Luke and Vader from Empire Strikes Back.

There was no music, it was substantially important, it wasn't filled with flash and theater. It was an old cyborg and a young guy beating the shit out of one another, and then a massive revelation at the end. Nothing else comes remotely close. The ROTJ dual was good, AFTER the actual dual though when Vader turned.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By frankfartmouth

@TheHT said:

Damnit! I knew I was missing a big one somewhere.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By dtat

@Krullban: Too there was absolutely no motivation for the fight. Well choreographed, but empty.

I vote Luke vs Vader in Empire.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CheapPoison

Wow... so many vote for Darth maul and the last battle in episode 3...

So much dissapointment.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

Despite the original movies being better, the Darth Maul fight scene was incredible.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RupertTheBear

Where's the option for Anakin slaying those pesky Jedi kids? Joking aside I would say Anakin Vs Obi-wan in III because Obi-wan is forced to fight a guy he raised as a padawan and even though the fight and dialogue was cheesy you could sort of feel the bromantic betrayal. Plus me and my brother love saying "I got the high ground" every time one of us got a sniper rifle and were on top of a hill / tower in any fps game.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rentfn

I hate to admit anything from the prequals are good but the Obi-Wan vs Anakin at the end of the Sith is friggin sweet. Both are amazing badass Jedis and they use any and everything. I really enjoyed the fight. And watching Anakin get burned alive is an added plus And when Anakin screams "I HATE YOU" is the best worst line ever delivered. My friends and I still make fun of that.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mercutio123
@rentfn said:

I hate to admit anything from the prequals are good but the Obi-Wan vs Anakin at the end of the Sith is friggin sweet. Both are amazing badass Jedis and they use any and everything. I really enjoyed the fight. And watching Anakin get burned alive is an added plus And when Anakin screams "I HATE YOU" is the best worst line ever delivered. My friends and I still make fun of that.

I went for that fight as well but yes, every line in ROTS is just terrible, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST CALL THEM CHILDREN AND NOT YOUNGLINGS?!!? Oh and also....NOOOOOOOOOO
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By mike

I voted for Obi Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn vs Darth Maul even though I don't even like the prequel flicks. I guess it's the combination of the choreography and music that does it for me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The end of Jedi, by far.

I know it's been said a lot, but the Phantom Menace duel and all the other prequel fights felt far too choreographed. I loved it when I was younger, but after seeing it more, it did feel like they'd been practising the fight before hand, instead of it being a real visceral sword fight, like they should be. Luke losing control of his emotions was incredibly powerful in Jedi. Obi-wan didn't even do that after his master died, they just continue with the fancy choreography (I'll give credit to ROTS for mostly learning from that mistake, but the fight went on for too long and still had some totally unnecessary choreography that made no sense in the middle of a duel).

I really hope the new movies put less of an emphasis on the Jedi as bizarre super human monks.

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MindOST

The end of Jedi. That long panning shot when Luke snaps and the music swells is just a really fantastic moment. Empire might be stronger overall, but that moment in the Jedi fight really stands out in my mind.

The prequel fights are alright, but if you're in it for pure action choreography, they're really not all that special compared to a lot of martial arts flicks out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Totally agreed. There are no pirouettes or any of the other maneuvers that wouldn't seem totally out of place in a ballet show. Instead, it culminates in Luke just hacking the shit out of Vader.

It's absolutely awesome.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40  Edited By Raven10

Yea I definitely would have voted for Yoda vs Sidious but with that not an option the duel of the fates (end of Phantom) had to take it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yoda vs. Emperor is a pretty glaring omission.

That said, definitely Obi Wan vs. Anakin. The sheer speed of their movements makes every other battle feel like slow-motion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By mike

@StarvingGamer said:

Yoda vs. Emperor is a pretty glaring omission.

I'm glad he didn't include it, that is something I would rather forget...along with Hayden Christensen's acting.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gamefreak9

The maul one. Just remembering it starts playing that song in my head also this is funny:

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By s-a-n-JR

My favourite bit of the Yoda vs Emperor fight was not so much the lightsaber fight but the part with the force throwing of senate seats.

In terms of actual fight choreography, I really like Maul vs Obi Wan/Qui Gon in Episode 1.

But my favourite/most memorable duel has to be Luke vs Vader in ESB.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gamefreak9

Also beyond the movies, last weeks episode of clone wars is the best star wars fight ever! In the sense that you really feel the power and domination of Darth Sidious, never quite saw him as this powerful.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hilbert
No Caption Provided
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OfficeGamer

Obi Wan vs. Annie

YOU WAS ZE CHOSEN ONES!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I thought the final lightsaber battle in Revenge of the Sith was probably the greatest part of the prequel trilogy apart from the Pod Racers, It just showed how destructive a light saber could be, Obi Wan really tore Anakin up.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Star Wars Kid vs air.