What's the best way to get into programming ?

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By left4doof

I want to learn how to do some basic programming but I'm having a hard time getting started . Any tips on where to start ?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I would say web-based languages are a good starting point. Something like PHP might be a good idea.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Try something like Python, that's how I started.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monkey523

Python is a great place to start.  It's very straight-forward, and the code is easy to read.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By droop

I used some ActionScript 3.0 last semester, it's used with Flash CS5. There's a lot of different tutorials for it too, many of them game related. It's good to report errors in the code and you can quickly compile your code. Might be worth a go.

I found it sorta hard to get in to though but then again I was pretty lazy!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@monkey523 said:

Python is a great place to start. It's very straight-forward, and the code is easy to read.

I agree. Python or C are good starting places IMO. There are a ton of tutorials online and tons of books out there so you're just a Google search (or a trip to Barne....err...Amazon hahaha) away from getting started at any moment

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

C, C++ or Java are good places to start. From what I understand, those are some of the most basic languages, and the stuff that most people use.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Shadow

Hack PSN. That seems to be just about the easiest programming-related thing you can do. 
After you figured that out, move onto something harder, like a Hello World project.

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By russcat

Since you're on a gaming website I am making the assumption that you want to be able program something visual.

Toward this end I would recommend getting hold of Flash and starting with Actionscript.

Flash makes it way easier to get started using graphics and sound, whereas if you pick a language like C or C++ you are looking at expending tons of effort just to be able to make a window and draw a bitmap onto it.

Also, all variants of Actionscript are managed languages, meaning you don't have to worry about pointers, memory allocation and cleanup, which can be tricky for beginners to grasp & debug.

Beginners I have tutored in the past told me they found Actionscript 3 easier to understand than Actionscript 1/2 because 1/2 are so kludgey, 3 just made more sense with it's greater structure. That's purely anecdotal though.

WildFloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By WildFloyd

Theres a lot of tutorials for the C languages, and they're probably more useful for non scientific purposes. I started with Fortran 90, its real low level so it teaches you some good hardcore practices. You need to be using something Unix based for that though.

Majestic_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Majestic_XII

Learn C#. Make games for 360 using XNA or for PC/web using Unity. If you don't want to make games, it's great for making programs and web applications.

Pick up a book called Learning C#

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-C-3-0-Jesse-Liberty/dp/0596521065/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314823315&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-4-0-Building-Applications-Framework/dp/0596159838/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314823315&sr=1-3

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By fobwashed

I started off cold with C# and XNA. There's tons of useful, game programming related tutorials and information freely available on the web and there's also a lot of great books written on the subject. I guess really it depends on what your long term goal is. If you want to just dabble and keep it real simple, I hear that web based and flash based stuff is pretty easy and quick to get into. If you wanna make something more complicated and want more control over different aspects, I'd recommend doing what I did and just jumping into C#.

I'd say within the first two months, I had enough knowledge to put together a simple game or a decent windows form type program. I'm updating my progress on my blog here and vids on youtube if you want to see what your progress might be like starting from scratch. It's great fun and hella rewarding! Good luck =)

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By gpbmike

@left4doof: Punch cards.

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By left4doof

Thanks duders .

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordi

You could check out a program called GameMaker, which has a simplified programming language. Otherwise I would go straight for Microsoft's XNA, which has a nice forum and many good tutorials.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By snide

@left4doof said:

I want to learn how to do some basic programming but I'm having a hard time getting started . Any tips on where to start ?

Went through this recently myself. Gamers should like it because it has you building a text adventure game.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

you should take a class in some college to learn something. it's how i learned HTML (dreamweaver) and actionscripted 2.0(flash).

BrianJ_OK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By BrianJ_OK

Not to steal the thread but if one wanted to start dabbling in the web based programming (HTML 5, CSS, Javascript) can anyone recommend some good resources? I picked up a couple second hand volumes of Head Firsts HTML & CSS book but it's about 4 years old at this point.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

x86 Assembly.

I learnt with a BASIC derivative but I would recommend C# to start and then move into C++. Learn the fundementals in C# and build your confidence there. You can even use XNA Game Studio to get audio/visual stuff up and running really quickly. Once you're happy making stuff there move over to C++ which will introduce you to the wonderful world of memory management via pointers, bitfields and other voodoo. Also this way you can learn about basic containers and algorithms from the C# standard library which is so much better than the atrocity that is the C++ Standard Library and STL.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cnlmullen

Personally I recommend doing this:

1. Identify what you want to do with programming (e.g. make PC games, make interactive websites, get a job as a software engineer, play with math and logic)
  2. Identify what a good language you should know to do what you want (e.g. C# [for games], Ruby on Rails [for interactive websites], Java [for getting a job], Haskell [playing with math and logic])
  3. Buy an easy book that teaches you the basics of that language. After you learn the basics, use online tutorials to do exactly what you want.
advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By advocatefish

Same way as anything else. Start.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By GS_Dan

@snide: Thanks for that link, will definitely give that a go.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I first learned object oriented programming doing Haskell then went to Java and C and now I've just started Assembly and Op-code to program microprocessors