What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

• 86 results
Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Socialone

Even though I worked my ass off to get the proper GPA, I dropped out of a prestigious law school after 4 months because I hated it. I'm now happily majoring in sociology, fully aware that my chances of finding a decent job by the time I get my freaking PhD are very slim -- gunning for a university teacher position is quite the gamble nowadays.

What can I say, I never fought 10 guys at once like that crazy Hulk guy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I chased a mugger until he dropped the bag, carried on chasing until i realised he was way bigger than me...

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By SuperCycle

A bat flew into my house once, and despite my sudden irrational fear of a flying rat I put on my suit of armour, in this case my suit of armour was snow pants, large winter coats, and then large comforter blankets taped to my legs and torso and a hockey helmet. I then got a broom and went room to room closing doors and flushing the beast out my patio door. Admittedly I looked quite foolish, and spent much more time conceiving and putting on my suit of armour than it took me to get rid of the bat, plus I broke a couple of lamps, but for some reason I was scared shitless of that bat... It haunts my dreams to this day.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Performed my own circumcision.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By laserbolts

Pushed dirt down in a d11 dozer for one of the biggest shovels in the world. I'm terrified of heights so the fact that my feet were on my windshield and the cliff could give way any second was scary as shit. Mining is serious business.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By benpicko

so brave

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AgnosticJesus

@matthias2437: How does a dog biting you lead to having to get a rabbi shot? I swear, even in this day and age the Jews can't catch a break.

My wife used to bartend while we were dating and I'd stop in every now to visit and have a beer or two. One night she was being harassed by two dudes and a chick. The girl threw a bottle at my wife striking her in the chest and the guys started trashing the bar. I immediately went ape shit and proceeded to beat the crap out of all three of them. It was like a scene straight out of Roadhouse. I threw them out of the bar but an hour later one of the men returned to fight me again. He was insanely intoxicated so of course I beat his ass again. All three were regulars at that bar but never returned again during my wife's shift.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By emem
@JasonR86: Yeah, just hearing/reading about it... it's scary. I personally had cases (friends, I don't have anything to do with it job wise) which were complicated and I don't think I could deal with such situations on a daily basis. Talking to children with suicidal plans or girls who have been abused... I really doubt I could do it without tearing up. But I suppose to a point you can learn to be more emotionally resilient over time!? It's definitely one of the toughest jobs I can think of, so all I can say is "stay strong man"!
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By Vinny_Says

I used to work late at night and had to walk home through a terrible neighborhood to get to my even worse neighborhood. Scary at first but after a while it was nothing. Thing is I sometimes have dreams about still living there; they aren't nightmares but sometimes the shit scares me.

The bravest thing I would say is when I had to scale from my neighbor's balcony onto mine (3rd floor) when I locked myself out of the house. A few weeks later my neighbor did the exact same thing and my bravery wasn't all that special :(

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bell_End

you should of seen the size of the stool i passed this morning... it was epic.

i deserve a medal for laying that

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@rosebud04: AH! I feel you man. I have a speech impediment too - it can be quite interesting seeing as I am a priamry school teacher

In answer to OP, I just finished at a school today. It was incredibly hard for me to look as though I was keeping ti together even though I was shattered

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xdaknightx69

saved a puppy from coming under a bus or taught a deaf and mute girl 3dsmax cant decide which one.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Cramsy

Got on a plane and went to China for a year.

Broke up with psychotic girlfriend.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I stopped a bully from beating up a kid at school, I got punched in the head a couple of times (I didn't know he did boxing).

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Jimbo

I played Jesus in church once when I was a kid.  Pretty sure that's a guaranteed ticket to hell, which is kinda liberating in a way...

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By Dark

This one time, I asked this girl I was going out with for sex ... I got it.

Pure Brave

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By Sambambo

I don't think that I have done anything brave, but I have not been in a situation where doing something brave is an option.

As said, life is hard middle class white kids.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By Sambambo

@H2Oyea said:

How in the world have so many people been mugged? Stop scaring me.

The people who frequent a particularly nerdy gaming website are likely to be prime targets for a mugging.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got picked on a lot for being the foreign kid when I was young. Rather than become an introverted pariah bitch, I fought every goddamn person who took a swing at me. That was about 10 years ago, though. Not much bravery has been required of me ever since.

I did call a guy in class out for calling a girl a fucking nazi bitch for not lending him her book. He was a 26 year old Neanderthal loser, smelled of alcohol and weed, and was mildly ripped. Some pretty serious threats were thrown about, but I had my friends to back me up, so I felt secure.

All in all, pretty unremarkable.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By marmalade

I once went into a Gamestop and looked the cashier dead in the eye, in front of a crowd of people, and I asked for Pokemon Black.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Max_Cherry

Fought in Vietnam.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Silver-Streak

And now, for WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION THEATER. With Silver. (Huge post incoming)

Biological Father was a severe abusive alcoholic that left when I was around 4. Biological Mother was an undiagnosed schizophrenic that I was a catalyst for setting off her bad periods, and a chronic smoker. She also spoiled my biological sister to the point where she literally believed she could not do anything wrong (She freaked out the first time she got in trouble at school. She literally could not comprehend the concept that anything she would do could possible be incorrect).

Biological Father had moved out at this point for a few years, so I would have been around...8? 9? I'm guessing my sister was going through some sort of pyro phase at around 7. Had found my father's old liquor bottles that were still in the house we lived in at the time, and a few of my mother's lighters. Combined the two of them and then left the house to goto a friends. My biological mother can literally sleep through anything, so this scenario did not bode well, even with my two dogs freaking out. I was coming home from my friend's house across the street, smelled smoke, heard burning and dogs barking. I honestly do not remember if the house had a fire alarm or not. My friend had come to the porch to say goodbye, saw it too, ran in to tell his parents.

Ran into house, saw fire was mostly isolated to the hallway leading from the garage. Saw my 2 dogs at the other end of the hallway past the fire whimpering and backing away. There was another exit, but it's a sliding glass door that was barred close. The shed door locks from inside the garage, but I remembered there was a hose with a pressure sprayer on it in there. Ran back out of house and around side of garage, up one of the dog crates on the outside of the home, and busted in a window with one of the garden bricks. Got to the hose, got into the house from the garage, turned in on full force and eventually got the fire out as far as I could see. Got my dogs and tried to call for my biological mother. My friend's parents had called the fire department, and they were arriving at that point. My mother didn't wake up until the fireman was shaking her awake. I was told by the fireman that he didn't know bravery onset at that early age.

Honestly, I don't know whether I'd call that bravery or stupidity, and on the side, the only thing I cared about during that moment was saving the dogs, as they had kept my sanity when dealing with my family for those years. On top of that, my mother refused to accept the idea that my sister had caused the fire, to the point where, even after my friend and his parents vouched for the timetable, I was sent to therapy sessions until my sister finally admitted it after repeated prodding from my older half-brother who had been out of town at the time. On the bright side, the therapist knew pretty much off the bat what was going on, and so all 2 of our meetings had been just us talking about The Legend of Zelda. This lady was awesome, and had literally taken a picture of her TV for every screen that was on the overworld map on the NES game, then had it composited into a scaled down map.

Now, all that nonsense aside, I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

When we moved to Florida around a year later, I met an awesome Native American family initially through a friend, the son in the family, of my half-brother. Through the son (who I consider my surrogate brother), they found out about the general treatment of me and condition of my biological family's house, and took me in. I was at their house probably about 6 months out of the year, then home for a week, then back at their house again, without a care from my biological mother. They helped save my life, basically, and I graduated highschool early thanks to their support.

After being accepted from my testing scores, I moved here to Wichita at 16 back in 2001 to goto WSU for CS(due to their accreditation in the field at the time), and immediately started getting threats from my biological mother that she was going to pull me from school, along with repeated harassing calls to my then new girlfriend's (now wife's) family. I believe the bravest thing I ever did was to go to the district court, and petition for emancipation status and disowning of my biological family.

If you tl;dr my post, the only thing I hope any of the younger bombcasters can get from this: If you're in a terrible situation, and you don't end up lucky like I did with my surrogate family in Florida, consider if you can take care of yourself, and petition with your local court system for emancipation. If your caretakers aren't taking care of you, and you don't want to have to deal with a child services scenario for years until your 18, please don't just stay in the abusive environment. Just because you're living with bad people doesn't mean you're stuck with being like them, or even being with them.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Akrid

@Eujin: Your life was a good read. A real rags to riches. It warmed my heart it did.

You are indeed a very brave person.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Akrid: I appreciate that, although my intent for that whole thing was really more for that last paragraph to go out. Way too many people let that shit ruin their lives. Just needed to give context about why it was brave and why I was posting it in the first place.

Holy christ, after reading back through the thread, I realize I added way too much drama to a lighthearted thread. If I've turned it into a downer, I may go back and just remove all but the last paragraph there.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PolyesterKyle

You guys are fucking crazy, I hope a bunch of you are lying.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Akrid

@Eujin said:

Holy christ, after reading back through the thread, I realize I added way too much drama to a lighthearted thread. If I've turned it into a downer, I may go back and just remove all but the last paragraph there.

Certainly not! It's perfect as it is. The rest of the thread is not exactly cheery.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cheesebob

Fought against 2 school bullies whilst they were surrounded by their friends...and won.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9 said:

Well I punched this guy in New York because he was harassing my friend, he was a blood and had a gun.

edit: I should mention this was out of love, I really loved this girl

What was he doing on the wrong side of the country?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By gamefreak9

@GetEveryone said:

@gamefreak9 said:

Well I punched this guy in New York because he was harassing my friend, he was a blood and had a gun.

edit: I should mention this was out of love, I really loved this girl

What was he doing on the wrong side of the country?

There's bloods in NY... I am not familiar with the East/west side crap. A friend of mine later told me he was blood, and well he was wearing all red clothes with that douchy symbols. I guess I could be wrong though.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By RVonE

Getting out of bed every morning to teach a class (multiple, in fact) full of undergrad students at university.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By CptChiken

@BraveToaster said:

<---

You should watch my movies some time.

Nothing i have ever done compares to...

When you threw yourself in that machine to save your friends.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Chop

Well, nothing spectacular or anything, but at my old job I had to stand on a 5" thick pipe and change an industrial sized light that was 100 feet in the air. Now, as someone whose greatest fear is heights, you can imagine just how fun that was for me.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Living.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By matthias2437

@AgnosticJesus: Sorry rabies*.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I dunno. Not very brave at all.

Stopped my friends from bullying a girl in my class maybe? Some of them still continued but I took her side in all the arguments after that, and it did get better. I was sort of a cool guy so at least some listened and I got through pretty unscathed (which I counted on).

She later killed herself and had told her dad that she'd always liked me and was thankful for standing up for her a few times, which her dad told my mom. I didn't do nearly enough and I can recall at least once I fell to peer pressure and did some passive bullying of my own, but at least I know I wasn't a major reason for her suicide.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Karl_Boss

I listened to a grindcore song.