• 95 results
#1 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -

So I was watching "We Are The Strange" last night and thought it was interesting that there was a "SinisteRRR" machine which showed up early and often in the movie.  The voice in the game claiming, "I Live" and "I Hunger" was included since according to one of the articles I read about the movie, the game freaked M dot Strange out when he was a kid.  I was thinking that the first time that I encountered a Sinistar machine, I didn't panic too much, but by that time I had the skills to actually progress in the game.  But then I was reminded of the first time I encountered a "Wizard of Wor" machine and since I was much younger, that didn't go so well.   

So what was the first game that you encountered that freaked you out, and was it on a console or in an arcade?  I figure that in an arcade it might have a slightly more profound effect since you're not in the comfort of your own home, but who knows.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Ganon's laugh on the Game Over screen in Zelda II scared the shit out of me.

#3 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

The first game that freaked me out was on the PC. It is called World of Warcraft.

Back when I was a more naive, impressionable lad in the year 2007 or so, I met and interacted with a wide variety of people, some of whom profoundly unnerved me whether it be through discourse concerning their real lives or the game-related drama and emotional outbursts that went on in the guild.

#4 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3243 posts) -

The game over screen in Star Fox and Blanka in SF2

#5 Posted by FlamingHobo (4505 posts) -

I literally jumped... twice.

#6 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

MYST 

paranoia....
<.<
>.>
<.>

#7 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -

As far as mentally disturbing me, Silent Hill 2 was just a big mind F--- for me but, I loved it and wanted to play it over and over. For jump scares, that goes to DOOM 3. People didn't like that the flashlight wasn't attached to a gun, but I think it just added to the "Oh, god! Something is behind me but can't see it while I attempt (poorly) to shoot it." atmosphere. That game was so dark.

#8 Posted by blackbird415 (778 posts) -

half life 1... I was 8 when I played it. It was midnight. The ambiance of the game, the voice announcer, all of the craziness that was happening. It got me good

#9 Posted by AjayRaz (12475 posts) -

the game over screen on Spyro 2  

#10 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Sinistar, man.  I was too young to face down a planet-devouring monstrosity like that, and even when I knew how to beat him, I could never pull it off.

#11 Posted by dietmango (1665 posts) -

The game over screen and tune from Super Mario Bros, and just the overall violence for early FPS games such as Doom, Wolfenstein, and Quake. Imagine a 5-6 year old who has never seen violence experience that. Not pretty.

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Resident Evil 4. 

#13 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@UnsavedHero:  To me, Doom 3 was cool in that it started out as a 'you are helpless and should shit your pants' scenario but, throughout the course of the game, becomes a 'you can kick these demons' asses with the wide assortment of guns you have'. It's a sort of 'Took a Level in Badass' thing.
#14 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

Silent Hill 2's atmosphere was so unnerving to me that I stopped playing it as soon as you get the 2x4 and kill the first enemy in the town.

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I'm far from trying to be mr. tough guy here but I've never been freaked out by a video game. I mean I've admired the atmospheres of some games and I've fallen for jump scares but nothing beyond that.

#16 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”

#17 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Half life 1 was damn creepy for me. I remember playing it in about 7th grade if my memory serves me correctly.

The game that literally made me jump out of my chair for the first time was Fatal Frame 2. 

Fuck that one hallway with the barred window. Seriously.

#18 Edited by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

The very first resident evil. I bought it for my friend for his birthday and we stayed up all night playing in his garage. At like 3 am we decided to walk up to the gas station to get a drink. I actually remember being nervous about being out in the dark that night. (wow what a weenie i was)

Oh and i was 13 at the time. So thats not that bad right?

#19 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Probably Resi 1...not that many games have freaked me out too much.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's nice to know that everybody has moments that are equally as stupid as mine: going into that mummy maze in Banjo Kazooie. I thought it was a real curse or something, and turned the system off so it wouldn't fuck with me. Years later, I kicked its ass so hard that it can't legally call that crater an ass.

#21 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

Resident Evil 3. I was like 10 years old. It was my first survival horror.

#22 Edited by Finstern (643 posts) -

Resident Evil 2, used to be allowed stay up late when staying in my Dad's place and thats the game he was currently playing though, scared the fuckin shit outta me... I was only 11 :( 

Or the midnight skeletons Ocarina of Time, definitely the bottom of the grave /well with the weird as shit corpse things. 

Not sure which happened first.

#23 Posted by regularassmilk (1424 posts) -

Sean Connery saying "I Lost Him" on the Indiana Jones Greatest Adventure SNES Continue Screen.
I don't know why, I just remember that scaring me. Certain NES and SNES Boot glitches used to freak me out too when it was late at night and I was the only one home or awake.

#24 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

The bottom of the well in OoT.

#25 Posted by TheGreenBastard (31 posts) -

The Spider that tried to eat you in Simant on the SNES.

That hairy, gangly bastard would chase you down, it was about 20 times bigger than you, and when he spotted you the music would change to a sound I can only explain as "The noise a stomach makes when its hungry and then churned with a spoon by hand."

Seriously fueled my arachnophobia when I was younger. Also I would never play the "normal" game - would always choose the tutorial mode or scenario mode cos the first level in both didnt have spiders.
The day I gathered up my entire colony of ants to kill the spider was a HELL of a day.

#26 Posted by Dysnomia (674 posts) -

Ocarina Of Time. 

When I was little those Deku Babas freaked the shit out of me.

#27 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -
@thehexeditor: Thats accurate. Those first batch of levels had me on edge. The random voices in 5.1 Surround sound really got to me the first few times. It was great. Lol
#28 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

Ecco the Dolphin.
#29 Edited by Skillface (566 posts) -

Any of the Donkey Kong Country game over screens. Creepy as hell.

Jesus Christ.

#30 Posted by Mitch0712 (499 posts) -

The jump scares in Turok on nintendo 64

#31 Posted by SMTDante89 (2580 posts) -

When I was about five or so, the fatalities in older Mortal Kombat games.  Wasn't one for tons of blood and gore (no matter how unreal it looked)  Today though I'm fine with them.
#32 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
Berenstain Bears for the Philips CD-I
#33 Posted by Timing (624 posts) -

Looking back, I'm not sure what it was about this that freaked me out, but it did:

This one is more obvious:

#34 Posted by HistoryInRust (6397 posts) -

The atmosphere of the original Diablo really unnerved me as a kid. That was, what, '97? I was nine. That shit was fucking overwhelming.  

Ah. Fresh meat.

#35 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

RE2 when the zombies broke into the gunshop.It scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

#36 Posted by csl316 (9418 posts) -

probably clock tower 2.  and in Revenge of Shinobi, the last boss had the freakiest laugh. 

oh, and the alligators in Tomb Raider!  holy crap, i was afraid of swimming for months.

#37 Posted by DeathByWaffle (652 posts) -

When I was little, Luigi's Mansion scared me.

#38 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Tomb Raider used to shit me up.

#39 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

Probably Lands of Lore for the PC. I don't remember how old i was, maybe 6 or so...?

#40 Posted by JaredA (830 posts) -

Dead Space 
Silent Hill: Homecoming 
BioShock is pretty creepy... 
Alone in the Dark 
F.E.A.R. 
Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm scared the crap out of me)

#41 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The atmosphere of the original Diablo really unnerved me as a kid. That was, what, '97? I was nine. That shit was fucking overwhelming.  

Ah. Fresh meat. "
Yeah, same with me. The butcher freaked me out really bad. I even refused to enter his "lair" until I had leveled up like 10 levels because I was such a chicken. 

#42 Posted by ESREVER (2697 posts) -

Any scene with re-deads in Ocarina of Time I could not play. 

Also, Sinistar is a dick!

#43 Posted by HistoryInRust (6397 posts) -
@Tordah said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" The atmosphere of the original Diablo really unnerved me as a kid. That was, what, '97? I was nine. That shit was fucking overwhelming.  

Ah. Fresh meat. "
Yeah, same with me. The butcher freaked me out really bad. I even refused to enter his "lair" until I had leveled up like 10 levels because I was such a chicken.    "
Haha. I did the same thing! And I was always super stoked when the dead guy wasn't lying outside the monastery and I didn't have to fight the Butcher. Such a welcome relief, despite it being a reasonably good source of experience early on. 
#44 Posted by MsMars (11 posts) -
Movies/games don't really scare me as much as others mainly because I was grown up with this kind of horror.... But if I had to say, Dark Amnesia haunts me and is probably by far, the best horror game out there for 2010. 
#45 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -
@FlamingHobo said:
"

I literally jumped... twice.

"
this!
#46 Posted by 1DER (82 posts) -

The first zombie cutscene in Resident Evil (PS1).

#47 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" Resident Evil 4.  "
The early portion of the village was great. I was all freaking out because there were so many villagers and shooting them with pistol would piss them off. Thank god for the shotgun.
#48 Posted by TehFedro (431 posts) -
@DeathByWaffle said:
" When I was little, Luigi's Mansion scared me. "
This.  
I remember I was at the second part of the house, and I heard explosions from those spikey ghost thing thinking they were giant footsteps, I froze and right away shut off the Gamecube and watched TV. I didn't play again for a month. Not really my first game scare but it's the only one I remember fully.
#49 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

Amnesia, no other game has been able to freak me out. 
#50 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -

The Tentacles in HL1 scared me shitless.