• 56 results
Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

I've been wondering lately why I feel like I hear more and more hints of Chopin's music in various things relating to video games.

Out the top of my head I can think of the Chopin game on iPad, starring the legendary composer resurrected by the muses to battle the corporate influences of today's music industry.

Before that, there was of course Eternal Sonata, where Chopin is the actual narrator.

Recently, I was surprised to hear the familiar melody of what was to become Chopin's own funeral music, his Prelude in e-minor, op.28 no.4, used in a tune on the Fez soundtrack.

And today I saw the trailer for Phantom Pain where, first at around the 33 second mark but most noticeably when the title card appears, a famous burst from one of Chopin's tunes is heard. I will add the title once I remember exactly which song it is.

As a little side-note: did you know that Chopin's character in Eternal Sonata actually has a special attack called Phantom Pain?

I wonder when we'll start to see more composers getting their time in the spotlight of games.

#1 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

I've been wondering lately why I feel like I hear more and more hints of Chopin's music in various things relating to video games.

Out the top of my head I can think of the Chopin game on iPad, starring the legendary composer resurrected by the muses to battle the corporate influences of today's music industry.

Before that, there was of course Eternal Sonata, where Chopin is the actual narrator.

Recently, I was surprised to hear the familiar melody of what was to become Chopin's own funeral music, his Prelude in e-minor, op.28 no.4, used in a tune on the Fez soundtrack.

And today I saw the trailer for Phantom Pain where, first at around the 33 second mark but most noticeably when the title card appears, a famous burst from one of Chopin's tunes is heard. I will add the title once I remember exactly which song it is.

As a little side-note: did you know that Chopin's character in Eternal Sonata actually has a special attack called Phantom Pain?

I wonder when we'll start to see more composers getting their time in the spotlight of games.

#2 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

The real questions is: What's not up with Chopin?

#3 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Winternet: Like, I know, right?

#4 Edited by TheHT (11300 posts) -

Also this was in the Witcher 2 trailer "Hope":

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

"As a little side-note: did you know that Chopin's character in Eternal Sonata actually has a special attack called Phantom Pain?"

...this MGS5 thing just keeps getting crazier. That's too insane to be a coincidence.

#6 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@TheHT: Nice catch. Given the size of Chopin's library, and that I haven't properly played games for quite some time, I don't doubt that there's a few uses of him here and there that I've missed. He did for example, after all, write what most people recognize instantly as the funeral march.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11928 posts) -

He's coming back in style.

I guess.

Pretty soon, we'll be in a warped version of early - mid 1800's clothing, culture, and sensibilities.

#8 Edited by Nightriff (5093 posts) -

He's been dead for like 300 years so don't expect him anytime soon.

EDIT: Never even heard of the guy till season 2 of Dexter when Lundy was talking about listening to him. Probably my favorite Classical Artist (not that I know anything about classical music).

#9 Posted by Atlas (2448 posts) -

The Chopin-Witcher 2 connection makes sense, considering Chopin is widely regarded to be the most revered composer in the history of Poland, and Witcher 2 is a Polish game.

Another example: Flotilla uses the music of Chopin quite frequently, and in the Quick look done by Dave, Vinny, and Mike Horn one of his nocturnes is used throughout during combat. Also Eternal Sonata is one of the most underrated games of this entire generation, and Chopin is fucking dope, so the more the better.

#10 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Atlas said:

Chopin is fucking dope, so the more the better.

No objections here, yo.

Word up.

#11 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

ShowPaan

#12 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@eskimo said:

ShowPaan

I prefer Choppin'

#13 Posted by stoodspoon (634 posts) -

Heard this when i saw Prometheus
#14 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

"As a little side-note: did you know that Chopin's character in Eternal Sonata actually has a special attack called Phantom Pain?" ...this MGS5 thing just keeps getting crazier. That's too insane to be a coincidence.

MGS5 picks up where Eternal Sonata left off.

#15 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

The more Chopin in anything, the better.

#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4487 posts) -

Because Chopin is the bossest.

#17 Posted by Ramone (2967 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

I don't understand anything anymore.

#18 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Hamst3r said:

Because Chopin is the bossest.

#19 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@Penzilneck said:

I don't understand anything anymore.

Regretfully, I haven't found the actual reason behind or link between the name of that special attack and Chopin himself. Perhaps as my finals wind down.

#20 Posted by StrangerInTheNight (8 posts) -

Well he is the best classical piano composer.

#21 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@StrangerInTheNight said:

Preach

#22 Posted by Ben_H (3362 posts) -

Because his music works well in a lot of situations due to the emotion and atmosphere it brings? 

I'd rather they use him than all the wannabe Hans Zimmers that fill the musical scores for most games. You can only have so much "epic" before it becomes rote and played out.

#23 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Ben_H said:

Because his music works well in a lot of situations due to the emotion and atmosphere it brings? I'd rather they use him than all the wannabe Hans Zimmers that fill the musical scores for most games. You can only have so much "epic" before it becomes rote and played out.

Mainly, of course, I'm curious because he seems to feature as more than just a composer for fitting background music, especially in the cases of that iPad game and Eternal Sonata. But yes, I'd much rather hear more from him and similar composers, classic or modern, than the overtly cinematic epicness of late.

#24 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I guess.

Pretty soon, we'll be in a warped version of early - mid 1800's clothing, culture, and sensibilities.

That would be amazing

#25 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@Dtat said:

@believer258 said:

I guess.

That would be amazing

1. No steampunk.

2. No steampunk.

3. NO steampunk.

#26 Posted by believer258 (11928 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

@Dtat said:

@believer258 said:

I guess.

That would be amazing

1. No steampunk.

2. No steampunk.

3. NO steampunk.

A combination of Steampunk and Cyberpunk. I don't know how the hell that would work.

#27 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

Which Fez soundtrack adopted the funeral tune?

#28 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle:

There ya go.

#29 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

Double Fine's Stacking also used a STACK of Chopin music.

Oh yes.

#30 Posted by NTM (7383 posts) -

I kind of agree; not so much that it's everywhere, but because I was just playing Eternal Sonata the other day and that was about Chopin, and then hearing his music at the end of the MGS trailer. It was a little weird.

#31 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@NTM said:

I kind of agree; not so much that it's everywhere, but because I was just playing Eternal Sonata the other day and that was about Chopin, and then hearing his music at the end of the MGS trailer. It was a little weird.

Well, not everywhere of course. But I simply find it more noticeable, especially in the cases I mention, as if his songs (and even his character) are chosen for other reasons than fitting music alone. I don't have the same reaction when I hear Beethoven's 5th's "ba-ba-ba-baaaaah" used for effect in trailers or other circumstance, since it's almost come to be expected and become kind of a cliche.

#32 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

There's a timeless beauty to Chopin's music that works well when you're going for a certain tone in your game or trailer.

More Chopin in anything is never a bad thing.

#33 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I guess.

I'll take the clothing, leave everything else.

#34 Posted by Undeadpool (4945 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

@eskimo said:

ShowPaan

I prefer Choppin'

Phantcho Pin...I'll show myself out.

#35 Posted by Veektarius (4844 posts) -

Rachmaninov

#36 Posted by Sinusoidal (1520 posts) -

I'm gonna get my nerd on and inform everyone that Chopin is in fact not a Classical composer. He is a Romantic composer. The Classical Period lasted from early-mid 1700s to the very early 1800s (depending on who you ask.) Chopin was born in 1810, and his music in particular embraces many popular ideas of the Romantic Era.

Did you know that when Germany invaded Poland at the start of WWII, Chopin was played regularly on Polish radio to bolster the spirits of the Polish people?

#37 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

@Sinusoidal: Gonna have to correct your nerd and say that the term Classical music covers all western art music. You're just talking about the Classical Period. Its perfectly acceptable to use the word classical to refer to both.

From wiki -

Classical music is the art music produced in, or rooted in, the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music, encompassing a broad period from roughly the 11th century to present times. The central norms of this tradition became codified between 1550 and 1900, which is known as the common practice period.

#38 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

also i think he may have been in stacking. Marzukas i think

#39 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Yep. People like the piano... and why not go for the best there is.

#40 Posted by DeathByWaffle (636 posts) -

@stoodspoon: That was also used in the Halo 3 BELIEVE trailer.

#41 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

Preach

Debatable

#42 Edited by TruthTellah (9127 posts) -

@Penzilneck: Chopin's music is scenic and easily integrated into dynamic gameplay. His work captured the essence of environments in a way that few before and after him ever have, and he has a large catalog of songs and variants of songs which are great for working into videogames which need long setpieces and pleasant transitions between very distinct environments.

#43 Posted by CrusaderNoRemorse (16 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

Rachmaninov

Yes! Chopin is great and all, but Rachmaninov is absolutely incredible.

#44 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

Eternal Sonata is so gross. Don't name-drop a world renowned 19th century composer when you're just making a bland JRPG.

#45 Posted by perilator666 (467 posts) -

everything is better with chopin.

#46 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

Eternal Sonata is so gross. Don't name-drop a world renowned 19th century composer when you're just making a bland JRPG.

I haven't played it and honestly I'm not interested, but it does remind me of another series which I really liked at the time even if it was terribly slow at times, Shadow Hearts.

I played the first two and found it hilarious every time the games referenced anything slightly historical, first because it was usually ridiculous, but also because both games begin with a notice saying that all characters and places are fictional. So, that would include Moscow, Prague, Paris, London, Wales, Japan and China and also Rasputin and Anastasia Romanov.

#47 Posted by edwardt (62 posts) -

I prefer Scriabin ... étude 12 anyone?

#48 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@edwardt said:

I prefer Scriabin ... étude 12 anyone?

Holla'!

#49 Posted by mikey87144 (1777 posts) -

Classical music in general is pretty great and also it's public domain. You'd be shocked how much of it you've heard over the years. If you're old enough to have watched looney toon cartoons youtube some classical music and enjoy.

#50 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

Classical music in general is pretty great and also it's public domain. You'd be shocked how much of it you've heard over the years. If you're old enough to have watched looney toon cartoons youtube some classical music and enjoy.

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of the omnipresence of classical music in the craziest corners of culture. Cleverly used classical music makes some of my favourite moments in Looney Tunes and such.