What's up with people and their car alarms?

• 74 results
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Yeah so I usually park downtown and then walk to the places I'm going instead of struggling to find multiple parking spots, and my path typically leads me past the parking lot of this one particular apartment complex. It's a section-8 complex (public housing) and there's always people in the parking lot, no matter the time of day or night.

The furthest (from the building) row of parking boarders right on the sidewalk close enough that you can touch the front of the cars without leaving the sidewalk should you so desire. So I've noticed whenever I or someone else walks by specific cars, their owners (lounging in the parking lot) manually activate the car alarm (panic button the key chain) as we pass. It doesn't startle me but it is annoying as hell. 

I thought it was something endemic to that complex, but I was in another part of town today and had the same thing happen: as I pass a car, someone manually activates the alarm. Then it happened again as I was passing some on-street parking.

What in the hell? I guess it's reached the point now if a car alarm was going off because someone was breaking into it, I don't think I would even pay attention. Remember 'The Boy who cried Wolf?"

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I've never seen this happen, but I'm going to start doing it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts

First ive heard of this behaviour. Seems pretty dumb to me. Come to think of it i have never heard my car alarm.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iDarktread

Wait, so they hide somewhere, and as you walk by, they press the panic button?

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@iDarktread said:
Wait, so they hide somewhere, and as you walk by, they press the panic button?
Where did you get that they were hiding? They're usually within a few tens of yards from the car, hanging out in groups in the parking lot. It's easy to see who's doing it as they raise their hand with their keys toward their car as they do so.

But yeah, as I or other people walk by they press the panic button, turning it off after we pass. It's annoying as fuck, especially when I'm on the phone.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I've never seen this happen, but I'm going to start doing it.

When someone decides to kick your ass over it, be sure to post about it here. Full details, please.
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nocall

Never seen this before. 

Wait...they live in public housing but have cars nice enough to warrant an alarm? Priorities, people!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

Don't you carry like four guns and a pair of nunchuks with you? They're probably intimidated. 

But seriously, this is the first I've heard of that.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Nocall said:
Never seen this before.   Wait...they live in public housing but have cars nice enough to warrant an alarm? Priorities, people!
Oh, yeah. BMWs, convertibles, and even a yellow mustang that says 'THE BOSS' on the side.

Your tax money well spent.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Axxol said:
Don't you carry like four guns and a pair of nunchuks with you? They're probably intimidated.  But seriously, this is the first I've heard of that.
I carry a Smith&Wesson revolver at all times. Revolvers don't jam. I have a Conceal&Carry so I'm covered.
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nocall
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Nocall said:
Never seen this before.   Wait...they live in public housing but have cars nice enough to warrant an alarm? Priorities, people!
Oh, yeah. BMWs, convertibles, and even a yellow mustang that says 'THE BOSS' on the side.  Your tax money well spent.
And I'm rolling around in a nine-year-old scratched saturn. Awesome. Oh well, at least I have a nice apartment in a pleasant neighborhood. 

Gotta stay optimistic.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Nocall said:
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Nocall said:
Oh, yeah. BMWs, convertibles, and even a yellow mustang that says 'THE BOSS' on the side.  Your tax money well spent.
And I'm rolling around in a nine-year-old scratched saturn. Awesome. Oh well, at least I have a nice apartment in a pleasant neighborhood.   Gotta stay optimistic.
Normal, non-disabled and non-elderly people don't end up in public housing unless they can't organize their lives anyway, so we can't expect them to exactly have their list of priorities straight. It's beyond their understanding.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

You wouldn't happen to be a minority, would you?

Avatar image for darkdragonsoul99
darkdragonsoul99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkdragonsoul99

I suggest the movie noise 

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@fuzzybunny566 said:
when i first read this i thought you meant they would "set" the alarm with the single "BEEP" when you walked by, as if they were afraid you'd do something.  however, upon reading your post again, i have come to a simple conclusion.  that place is full of total jerk-offs who deserve to have their ear drums blown out.  i would suggest sneaking over there at night or something and throw several dozen eggs all over the offending vehicles.  another idea, which i got from Fight Club, take a bat and smash the bumpers of these cars to really set off the panic alarms.  just don't get caught.  or, if you do, and they approach you, scream and yell at the top of your lungs into their ears.  over and over and over again.  then, celebrate with a pizza.
Yeah, my police record is clean and I intend to keep it that way.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Three0neFive said:
According to you duders, I'm the spitting-image of Gordon Freeman. I'm also a cartoon, supposedly.
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nocall
@Fajita_Jim said:
It's beyond their understanding. 

/nods
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What the hell... Never heard of this.

Are they "bro" looking dudes that think it's funny to set off a car alarm to try to startle people or are they grown men afraid you are going to punch their car?

darkdragonsoul99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darkdragonsoul99
@xobballox said:
 What the hell... Never heard of this. Are they "bro" looking dudes that think it's funny to set off a car alarm to try to startle people or are they grown men afraid you are going to punch their car?  
That would make me punch their car not stop me from doing so. 
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@xobballox said:
 What the hell... Never heard of this. Are they "bro" looking dudes that think it's funny to set off a car alarm to try to startle people or are they grown men afraid you are going to punch their car?
They mostly look to be in their early 20's, no one particular race but they all stand around in groups in the parking lot drinking and thumping that terrible music...which they never let a song finish. They have these little remote controls to their car stereos and they'll only play like the first 10 seconds of a song before switching to another.
Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Giantstalker

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Axxol said:
I carry a Smith&Wesson revolver at all times. Revolvers don't jam. I have a Conceal&Carry so I'm covered.

Contrary to popular belief, revolvers can have stoppages, but it's much rarer (especially if they're well maintained). If you maintain your sidearm, you're probably never going to get stoppages anyway; I used a semi automatic browning hi-power overseas and after many hundreds of rounds fired never had a single stoppage. It's all in the magazines you get issued, some are bent enough to be crap and some work great

Just want to lay this myth to rest, otherwise yeah, back on topic I've never seen people do this with their car alarms. But I live in Canada so that could just be another US thing

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fajita_Jim said:
@xobballox said:
They mostly look to be in their early 20's, no one particular race but they all stand around in groups in the parking lot drinking and thumping that terrible music...which they never let a song finish. They have these little remote controls to their car stereos and they'll only play like the first 10 seconds of a song before switching to another.
So yeah, they sound like your average douche bag "tough guys" that have found a way to annoy people without having to confront them.  Bunch of punks.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've never heard of people doing this kind of thing before but it seems like a kind of dumb thing to do.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Giantstalker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Axxol said:

Contrary to popular belief, revolvers can have stoppages, but it's much rarer (especially if they're well maintained). If you maintain your sidearm, you're probably never going to get stoppages anyway; I used a semi automatic browning hi-power overseas and after many hundreds of rounds fired never had a single stoppage. It's all in the magazines you get issued, some are bent enough to be crap and some work great

Just want to lay this myth to rest, otherwise yeah, back on topic I've never seen people do this with their car alarms. But I live in Canada so that could just be another US thing

Hey, yeah...but that's not technically the same as jamming (where a round fails to load all the way). I do maintain my firearms, as I go to the range regularly. There's no use in having a gun if you can't aim, and it's not like riding a bike: you MUST keep in practice.

I field-strip my guns after every use.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod
@Fajita_Jim:  What a bunch of assholes .... cant like entrap them with police officer around? I mean at least the sight of the cop may make them rethink their assery
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Aetheldod said:

@Fajita_Jim:  What a bunch of assholes .... cant like entrap them with police officer around? I mean at least the sight of the cop may make them rethink their assery

And charge them with what? Asshattery isn't illegal, even if buggery still technically is.
iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iDarktread
@Fajita_Jim: Yeah, that seems really rude. I mentioned hiding because I first pictured it as some sort of parking garage.
DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DougQuaid

He would never stand for this shit.
wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wickedsc3

Thats such a good idea i gotta start doing that shit lol! But i have a nice car so maybe i wont, dont want to get keyed lol.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@DougQuaid said:
   He would never stand for this shit.
Wise man, snub in the off-hand.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

Do you live in a ghetto or something? Because I've heard stories about you almost getting mugged, a home invasion, and now people not trusting others to even walk by their cars without sounding an alarm.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Brendan said:

Do you live in a ghetto or something? Because I've heard stories about you almost getting mugged, a home invasion, and now people not trusting others to even walk by their cars without sounding an alarm.

When my apartment was broken into and I shot the guy in the shoulder, that was when I was in college in Atlanta, GA, 1995. That kid picking my wallet was when I was in Charleston, SC on business, at the mall (not at the mall on business, in town on business and visiting the mall). I live in Oak Ridge, TN but the city this occurs in is Knoxville, TN, just down the road.

I'm a magnet for asshats, and I don't even have to open my mouth. Why do you think I got a conceal&carry? This shit gets old.
darkdragonsoul99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darkdragonsoul99
@Fajita_Jim: :It's called disturbing the peace the music alone would probably be complainable the alarms that way above any noise level that's legal. 
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@darkdragonsoul99 said:
@Fajita_Jim: :It's called disturbing the peace the music alone would probably be complainable the alarms that way above any noise level that's legal. 
The cops around here don't give a shit. Unless there's a gun or money involved, or a chance to bust some drugs they have better things to do. And by that I mean park in random parking lots with their drivers side doors next to each other passing jokes.
TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I don't think I've ever thought "A car alarm? Someone is committing grand theft auto!". I've always thought "God, can someone just turn that fucker off!". Never seen this in practice, but I think it's just paranoia or people acting like dicks.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic

And WHAT is the DEAL with people harassing passer-by's with their car alarms?? I don't get it!  
And WHAT is the DEAL with people harassing passer-by's with their car alarms?? I don't get it!  
On topic, that is pretty damn strange ;O Why the assholery ?
Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Juicebox

This is one reason why cops started giving out tickets to whoever touched the sidewalk with their car

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Juicebox
@Fajita_Jim said:
@Aetheldod said:

And charge them with what? Asshattery isn't illegal, even if buggery still technically is.
Well.... if their car touches the sidewalk you can call the cops on them ... and they would HAPPILLY give them a ticket for not just that but loitering.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beforet

Slash the tires.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aetheldod
@Fajita_Jim said:

@Aetheldod said:

Disrupting peace???? I mean they are teasing people ..... sound pollution etc. False calling of an emergency , it wouldn't hurt to ask a police officer what could be done ... if anything :\
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Fajita_Jim said:
@Giantstalker said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Axxol said:

Hey, yeah...but that's not technically the same as jamming (where a round fails to load all the way). I do maintain my firearms, as I go to the range regularly. There's no use in having a gun if you can't aim, and it's not like riding a bike: you MUST keep in practice.  I field-strip my guns after every use.
Snake voice

You're bending your elbow to absorb the recoil... That's more of a revolver technique.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Fajita_Jim said:

@Three0neFive said:
According to you duders, I'm the spitting-image of Gordon Freeman. I'm also a cartoon, supposedly.

Well maybe it has something to do with that crowbar you're always carrying around.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nickb64
@Fajita_Jim
@Nocall said:
Oh, yeah. BMWs, convertibles, and even a yellow mustang that says 'THE BOSS' on the side.

It's like this on the Apache reservation I've been to, nearly everyone has dish TV and nice new cars, but live in run down houses and burn their trash in the front yard or just let it sit in the tall grass.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@nickb64 said:
@Fajita_Jim
@Nocall said:

It's like this on the Apache reservation I've been to, nearly everyone has dish TV and nice new cars, but live in run down houses and burn their trash in the front yard or just let it sit in the tall grass.
Don't you know, the more bad-ass your car, the bigger your dick. A BMW can give you that extra inch she deserves. Two if you can't pass a Bic lighter under it.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Aetheldod said:
@Fajita_Jim said:

@Aetheldod said:

Disrupting peace???? I mean they are teasing people ..... sound pollution etc. False calling of an emergency , it wouldn't hurt to ask a police officer what could be done ... if anything :\
Except for hospital zones, noise restrictions don't go into effect around here until 10pm. I'm certainly not walking past a section-8 unit at that time of night, I like being alive, thank-you.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Fajita_Jim: Just sit on the hood of their car and stare at them.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By toowalrus

I scared the shit out of a girl who lived in my condo complex while she was walking by my window (my car was parked right outside our condo).

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By wefwefasdf

I see people occasionally do it because they think they are being funny. On the other hand, I have teenagers intentionally set off car alarms during the summer. Still need to purchase a new airsoft gun...