What's with this 80's love?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Snipzor

I've been playing Saints Row 2 for the past few days (Unrelated) and I've noticed something. A ton of the rock music is the 1980's, and I need to know why, because the music then sucked ass. The overuse of the synthesizer, love/sex themed lyrics, and lack of decent guitar playing. I just don't get it, why the 1980's gets so much attention.

Now, I'm not just doing this thread because a bunch of bombers told me "No more fucking politics", this has genuinly been on my mind for a while. Most bands of the 1970's that were awesome, move on to the 1980's and begin to suck. Rock bands that start up in the 1980's, suck. Bands in the 1980's that attempt to ape previous eras succeed. Is there some sort of virus that destroys all sense of good music.

Anyways, please explain, I need help (Don't transmit to previous threads please, I'm going through rehabilitation).
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

Several of Rush's songs that came out in the 80's are pretty embarrasing. Alex Lifeson pretty much got traded in for Geddy's synth for a few years.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Snipzor
Thrawn said:
"Several of Rush's songs that came out in the 80's are pretty embarrasing. Alex Lifeson pretty much got traded in for Geddy's synth for a few years."
I don't even like Rush, but you see where I am going with this. It seems as if the transition is never successful in rock.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus
Snipzor said:
Rock bands that start up in the 1980's, suck
Ha. Damn, here I was thinking you knew a little bit, then you go ant throw bombshell like this in there. There's no way you can make a generalization that big. I don't ever want to see you compare Bon Jovi to Guns N' Roses ever again.
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thrawn1

i do have to admit, "jump" is a pretty good song.

even though it wasn't entirely dependent on synth, it made a lot of people upset.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Snipzor
TooWalrus said:
"Snipzor said:
Ha. Damn, here I was thinking you knew a little bit, then you go ant throw bombshell like this in there. There's no way you can make a generalization that big. I don't ever want to see you compare Bon Jovi to Guns N' Roses ever again."
I will, in fact, I have the balls to say that Guns N' Roses are highly overrated. I shall spiritually compare the two. 

/Balls of steel
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus
Thrawn said:
"

i do have to admit, "jump" is a pretty good song.

even though it wasn't entirely dependent on synth, it made a lot of people upset.

"
Yeah, I saw Van Halen last year, the old guys still put on a good show. Though my plan to murder Wolfgang back stage and take his bass guitar and be an imposer didn't work out. Punk was wearing the same necklace I was...
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus
Snipzor said:
"TooWalrus said:
"Snipzor said:
Ha. Damn, here I was thinking you knew a little bit, then you go ant throw bombshell like this in there. There's no way you can make a generalization that big. I don't ever want to see you compare Bon Jovi to Guns N' Roses ever again."
I will, in fact, I have the balls to say that Guns N' Roses are highly overrated. I shall spiritually compare the two. 

/Balls of steel
"
Guns N' Roses were great in the 80's. They're stupid over rated now days though, with all your guitar-heros and selling out to Best Buy... Of course, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Journey etc all hit their peak in the '80s
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snipzor
The best guitarist of the 1980's, yet he did not do rock.
The best guitarist of the 1980's, yet he did not do rock.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Oh, I'm done with you! I'm outta here!

No Caption Provided
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snipzor
The video below demonstrates Van Halen getting his ass handed to him by Allan Holdsworth. Rock vs Fusion, Skill vs God Skill, you get the idea. In fact, here is a quote from Halen regarding Holdsworth.

“Holdsworth is so damned good that I can’t cop anything. I can’t understand what he’s doing. I’ve got to do this [does two-hand tapping], whereas he’ll do it with one hand.” —Eddie Van Halen

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Thrawn said:
"Several of Rush's songs that came out in the 80's are pretty embarrasing. Alex Lifeson pretty much got traded in for Geddy's synth for a few years."
Early 80's maybe. Listen to Presto and Roll The Bones and stuff like that. There's little synth.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Gunner

Because the 80's were the birth of hardcore punk, and the first true wave of punk rock.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bonesofwar
Just a few of the amazing albums that came out in the 80's

• Signals
  • Moving Pictures
  • Permenant Waves
  • The Joshua Tree
  • War
  • Synchronicity
  • Apetite for Destruction
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (not exactly my cup of tea)

Not that you can really compare the 60's and 70's to the 80's. Though, the 80's were a hell of alot better than what we have coming out now-adays.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snipzor
Bonesofwar said:
"
Just a few of the amazing albums that came out in the 80's

• Signals
  • Moving Pictures
  • Permenant Waves
  • The Joshua Tree
  • War
  • Synchronicity
  • Apetite for Destruction
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (not exactly my cup of tea)

Not that you can really compare the 60's and 70's to the 80's. Though, the 80's were a hell of alot better than what we have coming out now-adays.
"
Well that's like saying a broken neck is better than cancer. They are two completely different things.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Doesn't matter, we all know that good music leaps decades from now on.

50s - Awesome
60s - Awesome (Anomaly)
70s - Awesome
80s - Well . . . it had its moments when it wasn't greased up in tight leather.
90s - Friggin awesome
00s - Well . . . it had its moments when it wasn't all bitchy with a flap of hair over one eye, so . . . 2001 was all right . . .
Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bonesofwar

Oh yes, how could I forget Blizzard of Ozz. I win, GTFO nub!

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Optiow

I don't know, I would rather 70's music.