What's Your Favorite Series Finale

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Illmatic
With college finals finally over and the warm embrace of a two week summer break I decided to watch the tentative series finale of a show I had not watched for some time, Scrubs. I had given up on this show quite some time ago, particularly for its strange mix of comedy and "serious business." I never really latched onto the way I would be treated to a comedic scene of Turk and JD's bromance one minute and a suicide the next. Of course, this is a TV hospital and as such it is in the Universal Television Show Guide that hospitals must always have its own self reflective moments on life and death but I preferred a focus on either one or the other. However, I would never say the show was bad, it was a welcome and different style of show that isn't seen very often these days and so I decided to give it its proper send off by DVR'ing the finale and watching it almost a week later like a true American. It displayed a typical summary of characters met and experiences shared that while did not hit me so hard I imagine brought those who stuck with the show from beginning to end to some tears, or maybe just a caught throat.

No Caption Provided
Watching the series finale did bring me back to two finales in particular that had me searching for a Kleenex and a friend to hug. The first was, of course, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, a show that needs no introductions, summaries, or explanations. Any man who owns a TV has seen this program and what I consider a sitcom masterpiece along with the likes of Seinfeld and Arrested Development. While this show also had its share of "serious business" moments, I suppose it was the fact that I had so much interest in these characters that I was able to not only deal with these moments but actually appreciate them. The father/son episode dealing with Will's dad especially comes to mind. So it was with watery eyes that I watched the once full and noisy mansion slowly empty out as the kids moved on with their lives and the parents moved on to retirement. To this day, I have no problem watching an episode of this show for the tenth time and still laugh just as hard at the jokes presented.

No Caption Provided
My final show is in fact an anime that I was brought onto by a friend back in New York. I remember him asking me if I was into anime at all and like the majority of guys my age might've answered, I told him Dragon Ball Z was perhaps the best (and only) anime I had ever seen. He smiled, invited me over to his house, and proceded to show me a variety of animes including Naruto, Death Note, and Full Metal Alchemist. One anime in particular stood out to me though. Maybe it was the hip-hop intro complete with vinyl displaying the anime's name and the amazing soundtrack that is engraved in my mind to this day. Maybe it was the break dance fighting style one of the characters used in the show. Maybe it was just as simple as the record scratch used to change scenes. Whatever it was, Samurai Champloo caught my attention and for the next week I watched every episode. Now I lied earlier when I said DBZ was the only show I had ever watched. I had in fact dabbled in other animes but was usally always turned off by either the characters or the premise. Samurai Champloo, however, had characters that I was able to latch onto from the start. A cold hearted samurai, a bandit samurai, and a 15 year old waitress made up the major cast of this show and while many animes would focus on over the top fight scenes and hammy love plots, Champloo concerned itself with developing characters that felt real and believable. Watching as Mugen struggled to read or Jin's falling in love with a geisha were episodes I will never forget. Therefore,  I was more than shocked and sad to find out I had reached the shows series finale at a mere 26 episodes. I remember saying no out loud to my screen as they each reached their crossroads and a new and final track played over the credits, signifying the end to their journey.

But that's enough of me and my sad connection to fake chracters. What about you? What series finales stick out in your mind today? What makes a great series finale to you?

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Illmatic
With college finals finally over and the warm embrace of a two week summer break I decided to watch the tentative series finale of a show I had not watched for some time, Scrubs. I had given up on this show quite some time ago, particularly for its strange mix of comedy and "serious business." I never really latched onto the way I would be treated to a comedic scene of Turk and JD's bromance one minute and a suicide the next. Of course, this is a TV hospital and as such it is in the Universal Television Show Guide that hospitals must always have its own self reflective moments on life and death but I preferred a focus on either one or the other. However, I would never say the show was bad, it was a welcome and different style of show that isn't seen very often these days and so I decided to give it its proper send off by DVR'ing the finale and watching it almost a week later like a true American. It displayed a typical summary of characters met and experiences shared that while did not hit me so hard I imagine brought those who stuck with the show from beginning to end to some tears, or maybe just a caught throat.

No Caption Provided
Watching the series finale did bring me back to two finales in particular that had me searching for a Kleenex and a friend to hug. The first was, of course, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, a show that needs no introductions, summaries, or explanations. Any man who owns a TV has seen this program and what I consider a sitcom masterpiece along with the likes of Seinfeld and Arrested Development. While this show also had its share of "serious business" moments, I suppose it was the fact that I had so much interest in these characters that I was able to not only deal with these moments but actually appreciate them. The father/son episode dealing with Will's dad especially comes to mind. So it was with watery eyes that I watched the once full and noisy mansion slowly empty out as the kids moved on with their lives and the parents moved on to retirement. To this day, I have no problem watching an episode of this show for the tenth time and still laugh just as hard at the jokes presented.

No Caption Provided
My final show is in fact an anime that I was brought onto by a friend back in New York. I remember him asking me if I was into anime at all and like the majority of guys my age might've answered, I told him Dragon Ball Z was perhaps the best (and only) anime I had ever seen. He smiled, invited me over to his house, and proceded to show me a variety of animes including Naruto, Death Note, and Full Metal Alchemist. One anime in particular stood out to me though. Maybe it was the hip-hop intro complete with vinyl displaying the anime's name and the amazing soundtrack that is engraved in my mind to this day. Maybe it was the break dance fighting style one of the characters used in the show. Maybe it was just as simple as the record scratch used to change scenes. Whatever it was, Samurai Champloo caught my attention and for the next week I watched every episode. Now I lied earlier when I said DBZ was the only show I had ever watched. I had in fact dabbled in other animes but was usally always turned off by either the characters or the premise. Samurai Champloo, however, had characters that I was able to latch onto from the start. A cold hearted samurai, a bandit samurai, and a 15 year old waitress made up the major cast of this show and while many animes would focus on over the top fight scenes and hammy love plots, Champloo concerned itself with developing characters that felt real and believable. Watching as Mugen struggled to read or Jin's falling in love with a geisha were episodes I will never forget. Therefore,  I was more than shocked and sad to find out I had reached the shows series finale at a mere 26 episodes. I remember saying no out loud to my screen as they each reached their crossroads and a new and final track played over the credits, signifying the end to their journey.

But that's enough of me and my sad connection to fake chracters. What about you? What series finales stick out in your mind today? What makes a great series finale to you?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

The most important thing a series finale needs is closure.  If we've enjoyed the company of the characters for several seasons we want to know that they will probably be doing okay.  I loved the end of Samurai Champloo because I felt that even though the characters are separating, I can envision them getting back together for another adventure or maybe just to have a few sakis.  Either way, I was left satisfied.  Recently, I saw the finale episode/OAV for Futurama.  The show is one of my all time favorites and I was upset with the way the original series just ended.  However, in Into the Wild Green Yonder the story of Fry, Leela, Bender and the whole cast ends satisfyingly.  There is still a chance of more, but I doubt that will happen.  Some memorable finales have also provided a twist to completely confound the audience.  St. Elsewhere did this with the autistic boy and the snow globe ending.  The most famous of these ending was likely the surprise to the 80s series Newhart.

Other bittersweet endings include the scene where Hawkeye is flying away from the camp in the final episode of MASH and BJ has spelled out "Goodbye" in stones and Mary turning out the lights at WJM-TV.  One of my favorites was watching Mulder and Scully at the close of the X-Files series.  But, just as the one armed man was eventually caught at the close of the Fugitive, closure is what is most important to a series finale in my mind.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By teh_destroyer

Lost Season 3's finale is my favorite and probably the strongest Lost moment ever.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

I like the "Malcolm in the Middle" finale the most I guess.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

The final episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

No other show will dethrone that as the most mindfucking experience of my life.

Smike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Smike

I am not much of an anime guy but I really like Samurai Camploo aswell and the ending was great.  The show that I think had the perfect finale was The Wire, I think the whole from start to finish was some of the best television I have seen since Twin Peaks, and the ending just made even better.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inkeiren
teh_destroyer said:
"Lost Season 3's finale is my favorite and probably the strongest Lost moment ever. 
"
I expected lost to be interesting, but not moving until that episode.
Him drowning and swimming into the light is unforgettable to me.
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercator

Spoilers ahead:

The Office (UK) - The finale was a masterpiece. Several characters got to spots they needed to get to..that we wanted them to get to, and it didnt feel forced at all. Brent makes people laugh...genuinely, he stands up to the asshole Chris Finch, Tim and Dawn seemed to overcome an impossible gap to get what they both wanted. Tim hanging on to ever little moment with Dawn as the party wind down knowing that the next morning she will head back to the States is heartbreaking and makes what is about to come all the more great. The music choice at the end is such a great tune. I am a 26 male, whom cannot watch that clip of the last 10 minutes without crying. A happy ending that wasnt cheesy but triumphant. The show was 12 episodes, just over 6 hours...and it was more powerful than any show I have ever seen. A perfect conclusion to one of the greatest shows television has ever seen. I love the American version...love it...but the UK version was so masterfull...so hopeless...and then so so triumphant. Class, pure class. "Come back in 10 years...see how I'm doing then"  "The cat did a whoopsie in my beret!"

Six Feet Under - For a show ultimately about life, family, and death, it is only fitting that all of those things are here. The final scene illustrating the fates of every character was heavy handed for some...beautiful for others. I rarely think a montage is a good idea but ate up the last 10 minutes of this episode and watch it over and over. After every episode started with a birth and death date...it was only fitting to end it on several. We know the complete Fischer story...or as complete as television can provide.

Freaks and Geeks - Considering this show was cancelled before a proper finale could be given the writers did a great job of wrapping up the story. This was't an epic tale...not even year in the life of our characters but several come full circle and we see that life isnt as black and white as "Freaks" and "Geeks." Lindsey getting on that bus with Ripple playing in the background still tears me up. It is absolutly fantastic to see this cast, with Apatow, Rogan, Segel, Starr, and Franco getting the credit they deserve. It died before its time. While not from the finale there is no better place than this to post "the sound of L"   Nick Andopolis with the haunting Lady L

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss

That Lost finale was pretty heavy. Good stuff.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercator
Smike said:
"

I am not much of an anime guy but I really like Samurai Camploo aswell and the ending was great.  The show that I think had the perfect finale was The Wire, I think the whole from start to finish was some of the best television I have seen since Twin Peaks, and the ending just made even better.

"
I would agree that The Wire was probably the best television program to ever air. It has some of the best characters to grace my television. Avon, Stringer, Omar, McNulty, Bubbles, Dookie, Gus, Frank, Marlo, Snoop, Chris, Micheal, Kima, and The Bunk will not be forgotten. I just wish the 5th season had a few more episodes...it seemed forced, but yes this was a PERFECT show and arguably the best of all time.

I dont know any other show that defined the theme and entire premise of the show in the opening scene.   "Got to. This America man."  Players gotta play...and the game is the game. Its the American way.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho

The Sopranos.  Most people were outraged by the ending, but I thought it was ingenious.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thegoldencat7

The Cowboy Bebop finale was very near perfect.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Illmatic
thegoldencat7 said:
"The Cowboy Bebop finale was very near perfect. "
See, what kills me is that I completely and accidentally came across a posting in a forum of the show's ending and before I realized what I was reading, the finale had been revealed to me before I even started watching the show. That still speaks to the quality of the whole program though, seeing as I still decided to watch the show and continued with it. Another program that concerned itself more with characters and setting than plot. No surprise this is the same man who did Samurai Champloo.
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thegoldencat7

Samurai Champloo? Never heard of it. Any good?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm a big fan of the "Christmas Special" finale of Extras.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Illmatic
thegoldencat7 said:
"Samurai Champloo? Never heard of it. Any good?"
It's my favorite anime/cartoon of all time. Pretty sure all 26 episodes are up on youtube if you're interested in checking it out. It's a samurai anime with a sort of hip-hop asthetic in that the soundtrack is hip-hop, there are some hip-hop themes like an episode about feudal grafitti artists, and one of the main characters has a fighting style similar to break dancing.
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thegoldencat7

Sounds intruiging. I'll check it out, thanks.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
Illmatic said:
"thegoldencat7 said:
"Samurai Champloo? Never heard of it. Any good?"
It's my favorite anime/cartoon of all time. Pretty sure all 26 episodes are up on youtube if you're interested in checking it out. It's a samurai anime with a sort of hip-hop asthetic in that the soundtrack is hip-hop, there are some hip-hop themes like an episode about feudal grafitti artists, and one of the main characters has a fighting style similar to break dancing."
Samurai Champloo is one of the only anime series that I've ever gotten deeply interested in. I would highly suggest checking it out even if you aren't usually a fan of anime.
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thegoldencat7

A friend got me into anime a year ago. So far Ive seen Cowboy bebop, fullmetal alchemist and deathnote. And all three beat pretty much everything western television has to offer. You have to be very selective with anime though cos theres just so damn much of it.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By auspiciousqueue

M*A*S*H Finale

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cazamalos

battlestar galactica 4th mid-season fianle.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LeoMinor

The Shield had by far, the best series finale I've seen for a TV show.  The Wonder Years is a somewhat close second place.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By subject2change

None that I can think of off hand as most shows get canned before their time in the spotlight or the show runs too damn long and don't know when it is time to give up.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mercator

Chaser I was going to mention that as well but I clearly was on my knees for Gervais already.

Extras as a whole I found to be a just ok...then came the conclusion. Gervais' best acting, and an honest critique of celebrity obsessed culture.

I cannot wait for Gervais and Merchant to give us their third series.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Snipzor
Chaser324 said:
"I'm a big fan of the "Christmas Special" finale of Extras.
"
That scene is easily the greatest ending in the history of television.

Although the Series 4 ending of Peepshow is incredible.