• 65 results
#1 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

#2 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

Choose one, but add any other honorable mentions as well. I have to choose the 80s just for the breakthrough of MJ's awesomeness during that time, but the 60s to the 90s had some really good stuff.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

70's is probably my all around favorite but a lot of my favorite artists are from the 80's. IRON MAIDEN!!!!!!

#4 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My main era is Manchester 80s stuff. Add Nick Drake to that and...yeah, the 80s.

#5 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Honestly, now for rap music.  I love how theres a renaissance of the early to mid 90s but with added modern complexity.  

#6 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG:

Fuck, is there? I got way into Public Enemy recently...uuuuuuuuurrrrrrgggggg

#7 Posted by EuanDewar (4963 posts) -

I actually like all of em, not a big fan of the 60s though. I have favourite albums from all eras but I suppose the most are from the 90's and the 2000's.

#8 Edited by wumbo3000 (977 posts) -

Wow, I'm shocked to see 90's at last place. Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Weezer... Those were my jams, whether it's summer or not.

#9 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I can't really choose one over the other.There are tons of great things from each era and tons of horrible things(Glam bands of the 80s, Pop of the 90s, Limp Bizkit/Nu metal from early 2000s etc etc.). Though, I can definitely scratch off anything from the 1970s and older. Not cause its necessarily bad music but just not my thing.

#10 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

Kinda.  Sampled instrumentals are in again and many up and coming rappers nowadays are rapping over beats from the early 90s.  Stylistically, you can also see that rappers nowadays are inspired by that period too.  
#11 Posted by falserelic (5444 posts) -

90s to 2000s mostly rap.

#12 Posted by Vinny_Says (5712 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@nintendoeats said:

Kinda. Sampled instrumentals are in again and many up and coming rappers nowadays are rapping over beats from the early 90s. Stylistically, you can also see that rappers nowadays are inspired by that period too.

There's plenty of amazing rap music out there, it's just not as easy to find as it was in the 1990s, which just so happens to be my favorite decade followed by the 1970s.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Vinny_Says said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@nintendoeats said:

Kinda. Sampled instrumentals are in again and many up and coming rappers nowadays are rapping over beats from the early 90s. Stylistically, you can also see that rappers nowadays are inspired by that period too.

There's plenty of amazing rap music out there, it's just not as easy to find as it was in the 1990s, which just so happens to be my favorite decade followed by the 1970s.

Yeah certainly.  There seems to be a great influx of really really amazing rap music lately.  I would say that the 90s are my second favourite decade.  
#14 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

1890's voted 90's cos those were good too.

#15 Edited by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

I don't know. I can't really pick. I listen to music from all genres and time periods. Just today I have listened to Bob Dylan (1963), The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969), GZA (1995-1999), Danger Doom (2004), Starscream (2012), and chiptunes from the Commodore 64, which was made in the 80s.

Edit: Oh, and I've listened to "Gangnam Style" like 30 times.

#16 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

80's and 90's. I voted 80's though. Metal becoming big and all that.

#17 Posted by DFSVegas (354 posts) -

Don't have one. Good music is good music. I don't care about artists, I just listen to anything that moves me (either emotionally or literally).

#18 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

I don't know. I can't really pick. I listen to music from all genres and time periods. Just today I have listened to Bob Dylan (1963), The Flying Burrito Brothers (1969), GZA (1995-1999), Danger Doom (2004), Starscream (2012), and chiptunes from the Commodore 64, which was made in the 80s. Edit: Oh, and I've listened to "Gangnam Style" like 30 times.

I know, trust me I love music from so many different times, mostly from 60s-90s, but if I HAD to choose from the last few decades, I'd go with the 80s.

#19 Posted by ninjalegend (436 posts) -

I had to go for the 70's. Led Zepplin, ELO and others. The caliber of musicianship is unmatched. Great music that lead to the 80's metal I like so much. It was hard to pick, though, as the 80's MJ (like the OP said) was so good even my young head banging self liked it. Also brought us NWA. Yeah, Fuck tha Police. So close, I think it is a tie between the 70's and 80's. Would have liked a tie option.

#20 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

90s because of alternative rock.

#21 Posted by shinboy630 (1143 posts) -

80's cause of Iron Maiden and Brian Johnson era AC/DC

#22 Posted by believer258 (11948 posts) -

I don't know, I just... listen. Doesn't matter what era it's from, if I enjoy it. I know, I should be able to pick the era where most of my favorites come from, but that would be severely undermining some of my other favorites, so...

#23 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

1960s, no doubt. Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Doors , CCR, Jimi Hendrix. If you looked at my iTunes library you'd swear I was a 60 year old man (I'm 18).

#24 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The 70s because of Rush, Supertramp, Electric Light Orchestra and all those other bands I love. <3

#25 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

90s mostly because of hip hop. Also, maybe some nostalgia growing up then.

#26 Posted by mikeeegeee (1564 posts) -

Okay but seriously, 60's and 70's... Sort of shocked at the current results, actually.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -

I'll say 2000 because that's when I started to care about music.

There are certainly some choice 90's stuff, but man.

#28 Posted by SAC (111 posts) -
@nintendoeats

My main era is Manchester 80s stuff. Add Nick Drake to that and...yeah, the 80s.

You rule.
#29 Posted by JCTango (1363 posts) -

: 60's-70's era - love me some funk, soul, and r&b of yesteryear.

@Liquidus said:

1960s, no doubt. Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Doors , CCR, Jimi Hendrix. If you looked at my iTunes library you'd swear I was a 60 year old man (I'm 18).

That's super cool, dude. Love how music really can transcend generations.

@mikeeegeee said:

Okay but seriously, 60's and 70's... Sort of shocked at the current results, actually.

Same here, man.

#30 Posted by SAC (111 posts) -

Mid 70s to mid 80s.

Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, Bowie, Eno, Post-punk, Disco, Krautrock, early goth music, Minimal/Cold Wave, New Wave. Yeah. I love music from all generations, but I feel like the heavy hitters were at their best in that time and music was at a new height of experimentalism.

#31 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I always thought that the 90s was an embarrassing vestige left over from the more embarrassing 80s. Surprised that they're both in the lead.

#32 Posted by aurahack (2273 posts) -
You know how people grew up in the 90's? They won't shut up about how great the 90's were. 

Whatever the present era is because discovering new music, seeing new musicians rise, and going to tons of concerts beats the shit out of same, never-changing music over and over again.
#33 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

90s because My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, Built to Spill, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, and Weezer. I just love the attitude of 90s indie rock, and there's so damn much of it.

#34 Posted by Redbullet685 (6045 posts) -

I have to say the 90's. Tough choice, but I think that the 90's was the best decade for music.

#35 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (213 posts) -

I went with the 90's but really the '00 era should be split up. I really feel like the 90's era of music didn't really stop until about 03-04. I know I find it pretty hard to distinguish a song from the 90's or from 01. The changing point is especially identifiable with rock with rise of Emo around 04 had , in my opinion, a lethal effect to pretty much every other form of rock and it hasn't recovered yet in my eyes.

#36 Edited by ThePickle (4184 posts) -

70's. David Bowie's achievements alone during the 70's make it an incredible time. Toss in Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, ELO, Jethro Tull, early Talking Heads, and you have an amazing time for music.

#37 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

00s > 90s > 80s > 70s

#38 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

@JCTango said:

: 60's-70's era - love me some funk, soul, and r&b of yesteryear.

Yes yes yes, my faves.

#39 Posted by Fattony12000 (7453 posts) -

FUCK THAT SHIT I'M ALL ABOUT 1910-ERA RAGTIME.

#40 Posted by JCTango (1363 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

FUCK THAT SHIT I'M ALL ABOUT 1910-ERA RAGTIME.

haha, nice one :D

#41 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Pleasantly surprised about the 80's love. I tend to stay in my comfort zone stretching from the end of the 70's and 80's through the very very early 90's.

#42 Posted by Geralt (323 posts) -

90's. It was engraved into my brian and there's no way getting it out. I even went back to 40's & 50's!

#43 Posted by TwoLines (2812 posts) -

80s, magical times. All the green screen effects, amazing videos, crazy hair, it's just so... Perfect.

#44 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

60's-80's

FUCK NIRVANA.

.....Sorry.

#45 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -

I don't really have one. You can still listen to good music from past decades now, and there's still some pretty great music getting released nowadays.

#46 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

90's electronica son. Oribtal, dat Leftfield, dat Prodigy, dem Chemical Brothers, all of dat Drum And Bass.

#47 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

90s because:

SKA PUNK

#48 Posted by doosmacleod (189 posts) -

90s.

First off, they killed the 80s. When hair bands ruled the world, the world was awful.

Second off, stupid awful terrible 90s college rock, while better than hair metal, is my secret shameful love. 4 Non Blondes? Deep Blue Something? Crash Test Dummies?

oh yes.

oh yes.

I realize it's the nostalgia of youth clouding my vision, but hey, that's why people still think hair metal's relevant, right?

#49 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

90s. Nostalgia speaking, but half of why I love music is because of memory association, so I think nostalgia is a valid reason.

#50 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

While I love 60's and 70's Rock and Blues (early Bowie, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Rory Gallagher, etc.), it has to be the 90's for me just because of the pure density of bands I love from that era. RHCP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Primus and Smashing Pumpkins are all some of my favourite Rock bands, not to mention most of my favourite non-Public Enemy Rap and Hip Hop is from the early-to-mid 90's as well. Hell, I'm even good with Oasis, Blur, Pulp and most of the other Brit-Pop stuff I was subjected to at the time, mostly because of nostalgia.

Oh, and Daft Punk are pretty good too, in case you didn't already know.