• 59 results
#1 Edited by Commando (1878 posts) -

I was watching the news today, and I saw that a lot of people are pissed at Michael Phelps for appearing on sugary cereals like Frosted Flakes. Health people think that It will send the wrong message to kids. What's your opinion? I think that there's nothing wrong with it and he's just trying to make money. Swimmers don't make the kind of money that football/basketball players make. He needs another source of income.

#2 Posted by Tighe (26 posts) -

Frosted Flakes are relatively nutritious as far as sugary cereals go. Besides, I don't think any young children really know who Michael Phelps is. I think the Lucky Charms leprechaun or even Tony the Tiger appeal much more to kids...

#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

That's the downside to winning 8 gold medals. You are officially owned by Wheaties at that point.

#4 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"That's the downside to winning 8 gold medals. You are officially owned by Wheaties at that point."
lol so true tony the tiger has him bent over a barrel 
#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"You wanna hear some juicy information on Michael Phelps?

I know somebody who went to collage with him.

Be warned, it may alter your perspective on him."
Well, he's probably an arrogant douche, like all Olympians.
#6 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

Actually he was kinda a geek as a kid. I saw his mom talking about him and she said he was made fun of because he was different: his long torso, and ADHD. I have ADHD too! I'm inspired.... 

#7 Posted by Blazer74 (186 posts) -

People need to shut up and care more about themselves than what someone else is doing. Especially considering it is something that nobody forces you to buy.

#8 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I love frosted flakes...that is all

#9 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Commando said:
"Actually he was kinda a geek as a kid. I saw his mom talking about him and she said he was made fun of because he was different: his long torso, and ADHD. I have ADHD too! I'm inspired.... "
Then he's like the cooler version of Vin Diesel.
#10 Posted by Tighe (26 posts) -
Commando said:
"Actually he was kinda a geek as a kid. I saw his mom talking about him and she said he was made fun of because he was different: his long torso, and ADHD. I have ADHD too! I'm inspired.... "
He's kind of still a geek. Gold medals don't change that.
#11 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Dude, Frosted Flakes are Kellogs' best product, so fuck yeah. Phelps is smart, he got really good at swimming so he could have free Frosted Flakes for the rest of his life. He's a fuckin' hero, man!

#12 Edited by Riddler (1528 posts) -

those healthy tree hugging hippie Bitches should grow a pair, thats all.

some one fucking shove a foot long cheese steak sub down their throat and make em run a mile. theyll shut up then

#13 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

I don't mind at all.  Frosted Flakes are good.

#14 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

It shouldn't bother anyone, it's part of being in the spotlight.

#15 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

That's perfectly fine, hes just trying to make some money, what kids eat is their parents responsibility, not Michael Phelps....

#16 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
Americans never seize to amaze me.
#17 Posted by Meresin (147 posts) -

I think most athletes that compete in the Olympics do so hoping to nail down endorsement deals. Oh, and girls, if they're men.

But yeah, another fake controversy started by a small number of small-minded individuals. Whatever. :P

#18 Posted by JustinNotJason (422 posts) -

honestly who gives a shit, I mean Frosted Flakes aren't like a cereal thats made out of sugar and arsenic. And as someone said previously it's relatively nutritious given some of the alternatives.

And to the health officials, have they seen Phelps' diet and the kind of condition he's in. I mean his diet aside, he admitted he loves Frosted Flakes and eats them, and he's in good shape and the fastest swimmer in the world. I think these "officials" should stfu.

That being said, Wheaties will get his face, it's only a matter of time. If Wheaties doesn't get his face, Weaties will get rid of his face....If you know what I'm saying lol.

#19 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

You know, cereal is rather good for you.

I don't know about Frosted Flakes in particular, but I do know that Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Waffle Crisp, and quite a few others are very good for you.  Lots of nutrients and not much calories/ fat/ sugar.

Edit: it's not the best cereal in the world, but it's still pretty good:

Calories
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value
Total Fat
0.1g
0%
Saturated Fat
0.0g
0%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat
0.0g
Monounsaturated Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
143mg
6%
Total Carbohydrates
28.2g
9%
Dietary Fiber
0.6g
2%
Sugars
12.0g
Protein
1.3g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 0% Iron 40%
* Based on a
#20 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

ere

#21 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1164 posts) -

The public trying to control people's lives? No way!

Honestly, if you don't want your kid to eat sugary cereal, don't fucking buy it for them. Michael Phelps being on or off the box has no control over your choices as a parent.

#22 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2524 posts) -

Its stupid as hell.Theres much more important things to be talking about.

#23 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

WOW

JUST WOW

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY??

yes, caps was necessary

#24 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

i hate america

#25 Posted by Supreme (38 posts) -
DirrtyNinja said:
"Americans never seize to amaze me. "
I knew it was coming eventually. Took you too long though. You fail all America haters for not being one of the top 3 posters. Go kill yourself, you're a disgrace.
#26 Posted by Supreme (38 posts) -
BigBoss1911 said:
"Its stupid as hell.Theres much more important things to be talking about."
What's more important than who is on the cover of cereal? 
Absolutely nothing you cereal hater.
#27 Edited by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

I would have a problem, if he was an NBA/NFL player who looks like a thug, is already making more money than they can count, and is overpaid. Michael Phelps is the best Olympian ever, and he seems like a nice guy. He doesn't make a ton of money. If he is using it to make money, and is a good person I don't give a shit...

#28 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2524 posts) -
Supreme said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
"Its stupid as hell.Theres much more important things to be talking about."
What's more important than who is on the cover of cereal? 
Absolutely nothing you cereal hater.
"

LOL.My bad.
#29 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

this is just another case of some lame as critic trying to get known. dude says something to try to start controversy over nothing and fails miserably 

#30 Posted by Virago (2487 posts) -

dude, i so don't give an eff what michael phelps promotes.

though personally, i think he should just get on with it and put on his cape and spandex.
#31 Posted by and333 (843 posts) -

I thinks its dumb for people to get mad, cause do you know how much that guy eats! When he was in the olypmics he would eat 1200 calories a day I think I read, The guy likes to eat and of course hes gonna support the cornflakes that have a actual good taste to them!

#32 Posted by Mattzz10 (496 posts) -
and333 said:
"I thinks its dumb for people to get mad, cause do you know how much that guy eats! When he was in the olypmics he would eat 1200 calories a day I think I read, The guy likes to eat and of course hes gonna support the cornflakes that have a actual good taste to them!"
During one of his training days he eats 8,000-10,000 calories.  That's enough for a small family.
#33 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I really am sick and tired of hearing all this health food stuff. If I want to eat healthily then I will, but if I don't want to, I won't and I don't want all kinds of government organisations trying to force one over the other on me because sooner or later, we're bound to be all eating Soylent Green because it's the best food for us and the planet, as it's totally recyclable.

#34 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

DUDE IT'S CEREAL

#35 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Cheerio's would make more sense, but it's whatever.

#36 Posted by jaydough (232 posts) -
Shocker said:
"I don't mind at all.  Frosted Flakes are good."
Nope, they're grrrreat!
#37 Posted by Dakota (248 posts) -

Well if you saw the report on what Michael Phelps was eating everyday while swimming, you would be taken aback by the number of unhealthy things on there. And Frosted Flakes are not that bad, plus they are really "the cereal" when it comes to promoting athleticism. (Tony the tiger commercials)

#38 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Frosted Flakes = The Shit!

#39 Posted by and333 (843 posts) -
Mattzz10 said:
"and333 said:
"I thinks its dumb for people to get mad, cause do you know how much that guy eats! When he was in the olypmics he would eat 1200 calories a day I think I read, The guy likes to eat and of course hes gonna support the cornflakes that have a actual good taste to them!"
During one of his training days he eats 8,000-10,000 calories.  That's enough for a small family."
I knew it was alot! that guy knows the value of food and food that taste good! Who actually eats Cornflakes and if they do they usually put sugar on it!
#40 Posted by HitNRun (344 posts) -

If your kid's biggest health issue is that he eats Frosted Flakes for breakfast, find him a sport because he could probably make the Olympics himself.

Christ, you'd think it was Count Chocula or something.

#41 Posted by Dalai (7055 posts) -

In other news, the Chinese gymnastics team will be featured on the cover of all Gerber baby cereal boxes.

#42 Posted by hair001 (73 posts) -

This is controversial? Some sad little people out there

#43 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

People need to see past the marketing crap and go for a product that suits their needs.

#44 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Isn't it also sending the wrong message with the commercial of several fitness people eating a McDonald's biscuit?

Truth is, people can incorporate just about anything into their diet if they are sensible about it. The recommended serving on a box of cereal is not going to make someone fat, the other choices they make will.

Also, as someone else pointed out, since they are talking about kids here, I assume most parents are the ones responsible for buying the food for their kids, if they think it's bad for them to eat then they don't have to buy it for them.

#45 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

could'nt care less, except i'll probably hate him now because he's overpaid.

#46 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Supreme said:
"DirrtyNinja said:
I knew it was coming eventually. Took you too long though. You fail all America haters for not being one of the top 3 posters. Go kill yourself, you're a disgrace."
Why would Americans 'seize' to amaze him?  They 'seized' Iraq, is that enough to amaze him?
#47 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
oldschool said:
"Supreme said:
"DirrtyNinja said:
I knew it was coming eventually. Took you too long though. You fail all America haters for not being one of the top 3 posters. Go kill yourself, you're a disgrace."
Why would Americans 'seize' to amaze him?  They 'seized' Iraq, is that enough to amaze him?"
Awesome 
#48 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

Frosted Flakes are delicious.  Maybe the man just has good taste.

#49 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -

Tony the Tiger is going to be PISSED. I bet he'll sell out to the competitors. Next time you go to the grocery store, expect to see Tony on the front of the generic "Sugar Corn Flakes".

#50 Posted by Thanatos (8 posts) -

Most sugar cereal doesnt have that mush sugar as people would think