Whay should I get Super Nintendo or Super Famicom?

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By CByrne

Poll Whay should I get Super Nintendo or Super Famicom? (48 votes)

Super Nintendo 56%
Super Famicom 23%
Retron5 6%
Always be shady... 17%

I think it's time to get a SNES era console. The local retro store has the SNES or Famicom for $60 with controller, AV cable, power adapter, and a warranty. Which is seemingly cheaper than ebay or crazy people on Craigslist.

I think that the Super Famicom looks cooler, is there any reason not to get it? Should I just get a Retron? I only have a handful of NES games that I dig out from time to time and my NES still works. I don't have any any affinity for SEGA stuff so I don't care about that.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

(P.S. I do own Tetris Battle Gaiden. That's my only SNES/SF cart I own. I bought it justify shadiness)

• 
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

SNES as I know you can "mod" it to play both SNES and SFami games, I don't know if SNES carts work on the SFami. If you are going based on box art, go with the SFami, beautiful stuff.

No Caption Provided

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read, most games work via a game genie type thing(which I have access to one until I get my own) Only Mode 7 games tend to freak out.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you've never owned a console of that era I'd say get the SNES. The super Famicom comes up on the site so often most likely because all the staff had the SNES growing up and now have a chance to try the Japanese counterpart. If you're interested in it mainky because of how much the staff talk about it and not much else I bet the SNES would be a better fit. You'd be able to understand the games better, at least.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

You can pretty easily mod a SNES to take Super Famicom games or just use a Game Genie to do it. Whatever you do don't get the Retron, it's overpriced garbage.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

SNES + modded Game Genie. Best of both worlds. That's what I use. It works great.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I feel like my Famicom is only around for the novelty. Where as my SNES is something I use regularly, and the thing I look at more as a "piece of gaming history."

Avatar image for solidredskyrim1
solidredskyrim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy any...

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seems like you should really decide if you want a Japanese or U.S. console. Retrons are probably a cheap solution. Shady is practicaly the same as being legit because the Big N doesn't profit from you buying used games.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no region locking in the SNES. The lock is actually physical. It is incredibly easy to get a SNES to play Super Famicom games, but not the other way around.
There are two plastic nubs in the SNES that align perfectly with any SNES cartridge, but make it makes it impossible to put in a Super Famicom cartridge. Take a pair of flyers and remove the nubs inside the SNES. Problem solved!
People using game genies are being overly complicated.

FlaminB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FlaminB

As others have said, playing SF games on a SNES is much easier than playing SNES games on a SF. It can be done, but it's a pain. If it's about the looks, maybe track down a Model SNS-101 (a.k.a. SNES Jr. or SNES Mini).

No Caption Provided

And Retrons are too unpredictable.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CByrne

Thanks for the input so far!

I guess I should ask, does $60 sound about right?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbyrne: If it's in good condition yeah.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Google will get you any snes game you want in seconds.