Posted by kariyanine (217 posts) -
Growing up beating a game was a big deal. Completing Super Mario Bros., Castlevania or Metal Gear was like a badge of honor and you wanted everyone to know. Games have changed since then but somewhere in the back of my head I still keep a small running tally of what is going on. Halo, Gears, Call of Duty, Killzone 2, Resistance, etc... all have something in common, they are great multiplayer shooters that have a single player component. You can easily say I beat (or finished) Halo 3 because there is a campaign that you can play through but what about games like Shadowrun, Team Fortress 2 or the recently released Battlefield 1943?

I am currently having a blast traversing the Pacific theater, taking over strategic points, killing people with my trusty SMG and crashing into trees whenever I try to fly a plane but the game got me thinking, how does one beat a game like Battlefield 1943? Can you claim superiority over the title once you max out your rank, reach prestige, achieve some other arbitrary factor or is it something else entirely? For that matter is it even possible to claim you've beaten a multiplayer game?

With no endgame the lines of understanding are not only blurred but completely invisible. Where and when can one actually claim they beat a multiplayer game or has gaming moved past such tangible badges of honor?

And can you ever really beat WoW? (outside of quitting the addiction that is)
#1 Posted by kariyanine (217 posts) -
Growing up beating a game was a big deal. Completing Super Mario Bros., Castlevania or Metal Gear was like a badge of honor and you wanted everyone to know. Games have changed since then but somewhere in the back of my head I still keep a small running tally of what is going on. Halo, Gears, Call of Duty, Killzone 2, Resistance, etc... all have something in common, they are great multiplayer shooters that have a single player component. You can easily say I beat (or finished) Halo 3 because there is a campaign that you can play through but what about games like Shadowrun, Team Fortress 2 or the recently released Battlefield 1943?

I am currently having a blast traversing the Pacific theater, taking over strategic points, killing people with my trusty SMG and crashing into trees whenever I try to fly a plane but the game got me thinking, how does one beat a game like Battlefield 1943? Can you claim superiority over the title once you max out your rank, reach prestige, achieve some other arbitrary factor or is it something else entirely? For that matter is it even possible to claim you've beaten a multiplayer game?

With no endgame the lines of understanding are not only blurred but completely invisible. Where and when can one actually claim they beat a multiplayer game or has gaming moved past such tangible badges of honor?

And can you ever really beat WoW? (outside of quitting the addiction that is)
#2 Posted by mikeeegeee (1559 posts) -

I would argue that the closest one can come to beating a multiplayer game is by being able to consistently achieve a kill:death ratio of 2:1 in a public match. Of course, this is very subjective since not all games are simply about kills and deaths. But if you aren't achieving a positive K:D ratio after months or years of play, you're just shitty and you've clearly not "beaten" the game, or perhaps it's more apt to say: "beaten" your opponents.

WoW is over once you hit the level cap and play for 1 month at said level cap. That is all. Do not engage in anything further as it is only a time and money sink.

#3 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

You can't.

#4 Posted by Creamypies (4064 posts) -

Never.

#5 Posted by Xerone (7 posts) -

I think it's all subjective. It isn't about gloating to your friends that you beat it last night, but how you beat them into the ground last night.

(*Shudders* That doesn't sound right... ?)

#6 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

When you're so good that anyone you play against kills themselves after being beaten by you.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

imo, it is possible to beat WoW, if oyu have all the best gear in the game, you clearly have ran literally everything. What else is there to do rather then PVP or run things for fun, or wait for new content? You beat it.

#8 Posted by NickM (1071 posts) -

When you realize that literally no one else is playing the multiplayer for the 360 version of Unreal Tournament III. I clearly won that game. 

#9 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -

Got to Cevo-P in Counter-Strike, then CGS died, and I gave up at the game, ye-yey

#10 Posted by kariyanine (217 posts) -
@NickM said:
" When you realize that literally no one else is playing the multiplayer for the 360 version of Unreal Tournament III. I clearly won that game.  "
I have that game too, sad thing is there is really no one playing it on any of the three platforms it was released on.
#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i would say when u get tired of playing the multiplayer game. for the game wow i would say when u get to level 80. i'm only level 70, i quit a couple of months before the wrath of the lichking came out. the game really isn't that fun unless u  have the time to do raids.

#12 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I don't think you can

#13 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

for me, it's when i can destroy all my friends no problem. or just when i get all the achievements/trophies (if there are any).

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

It's when you realize after hundred of hours in a game that "Holy mother of god, there's a sun out there". Then you go out there and eat an ice-cream.

That's how you beat a multiplayer game.

#15 Posted by Benjaminvdv (327 posts) -

Achievements can be a good indication. In Call of Duty 4 and 5 you could get the highest prestige and be at rank 55. That way you have beaten everything you could in the game.

#16 Posted by Karn (690 posts) -

When you spend your whole life with it, and realize what you've done, finally pull the trigger.....

#17 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

NEVER!

Never?

NEVER!!!!

#18 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Technicly, when any sort of counter or score tracker reaches the maximum number it can process, which with todays computers would probably be millions of billions of kills, depends how much memory is allocated for keeping track of it. Or if it's even fixed, if it's not then you can literally go forever.

A better way would be to leave it when you get bored of it, or when the community is dwindling so much it's hard to get a game on.

#19 Posted by kariyanine (217 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" It's when you realize after hundred of hours in a game that "Holy mother of god, there's a sun out there". Then you go out there and eat an ice-cream.That's how you beat a multiplayer game. "
I do love me some ice cream.