• 82 results
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ShaggE

I have a terrible habit of not being able to shut my yap when I see particularly dumb comments, and sometimes the spirit moves me to pursue an argument way beyond a healthy length, but when I know I'm wrong, I do try to make amends.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Contrarian

@Superkenon said:

@Contrarian said:

If I am wrong ........ however, if the other guy is being a dick, I just change and confuse the argument as I don't like giving someone who is a dick the satisfaction they don't deserve.

How contrarian of you! Ha-HA!

What? That joke was golden! I'LL ARGUE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH

What would the point in that be? The Earth is finite, so it has an end. However, if we are talking about the universe, then you are perhaps correct.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By penguindust

Internet arguments that go beyond two replies aren't worth having. If I am wrong I will freely admit it, however not everyone has been a dick on the internet or picks fights. People certainly have differences of opinions, but the type of confrontation you attribute to everyone isn't something I've ever practiced. I try to be as courteous and open-minded on the internet as I am in real life. Anonymity is no excuse for acting uncivil.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Arbie

I think I've only ever been in one argument on the internet and I 100% would not back down. I did however walk away (type away?!) when I realised I was wasting my time. I don't know if that's backing down or not, but if it is I'd much rather do that than waste time on someone like that guy.

I don't like arguing though and a lot of the online arguments I see are pretty pointless. Like the 1,343,343,334 ones on Youtube about religion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Blunt said:

After I reach full climax.

Usually I just start sobbing and run out of the room.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NTM

I've rarely gotten into any arguments, but now, what I do when I would get into it with someone, is I either stop talking and try to forget I even talked to the person about the certain topic because sometimes you can never win in a conversation with someone being stubborn, or I simply don't want to escalate things, so I don't get into it from the get-go.

If I don't, I'll try to inch my way towards being more civil. I'm all for the whole "treat someone else as you'd like to be treated", and the "just walk away when someone's looking for a fight" or whatever that's called. Those types of things are suited for both social online and off. There are times when I can't help myself to criticize though, I don't like to, but sometimes I do, do it.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I have never had a problem with apologising when I'm wrong, but I will pursue an argument forever if it is actually both interesting and entertaining, because I've always found intellectual debate to be extremely stimulating.

If the person in question is just a moron, however, I'll usually take a parting shot and just go on my merry way. Same, too, when it boils down to "that's just my opinion and opinions can't be wrong, man," (yes they can be) as that is a waste of time.

I'm lucky in that I'm a pretty coldly analytical guy, so I very rarely get legitimately pissed off and view this kind of thing with an amused detachment.

Rarely, however, particular incidents will get me legitimately fired up, much to my regret. Several Jay threads, for example, have gotten me angry and made me eventually take a step back after I realise it's like trying to argue religion with a fanatic, only far less coherent.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By NTM

@adam1808: Yeah, you really should have thought about that first. Plus, you're not only dissing on something you don't have any right to just because you may believe that books off games aren't great, I don't know how you feel about them, just saying though, but you're also targeting someone that likes it and making it somewhat personal because it's something he's into. I mean, think about what he was thinking other than maybe "wow, what a Deutsche."

He could have had his feelings hurt in a way, you never know. From now on, try your best not to confront something unless you have something to contribute from an educated point of view, and also try not to sound hateful. Actually, you don't even have to be educated on a subject, just don't sound hateful. Also, the Gears of War books are fine; one thing that I've noticed is that it really helps the emotional aspects of the story in general, like - spoilers! - Maria's death in Gears of War 2. Once you learn more about their relationship and history, it makes it sadder.

Sorry if I was sounding condescending there. You may have already known these things I've said, but I still felt it was important nonetheless.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jay444111

@Fattony12000 said:

NEVER BACK DOWN

NEVER SURRENDER

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE

THIS IS WHERE WE STAND!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY DIE!!!

I only admit being wrong when I am wrong. Which is rare.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Jay444111

@Fattony12000 said:

NEVER BACK DOWN

NEVER SURRENDER

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE

THIS IS WHERE WE STAND!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY DIE!!!

I only admit being wrong when I am wrong. Which is rare.

I just burst out laughing and died a little inside simultaneously
impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#61  Edited By impartialgecko
@NTM said:

@adam1808: Yeah, you really should have thought about that first. Plus, you're not only dissing on something you don't have any right to just because you may believe that books off games aren't great, I don't know how you feel about them, just saying though, but you're also targeting someone that likes it and making it somewhat personal because it's something he's into. I mean, think about what he was thinking other than maybe "wow, what a Deutsche."

He could have had his feelings hurt in a way, you never know. From now on, try your best not to confront something unless you have something to contribute from an educated point of view, and also try not to sound hateful. Actually, you don't even have to be educated on a subject, just don't sound hateful. Also, the Gears of War books are fine; one thing that I've noticed is that it really helps the emotional aspects of the story in general, like - spoilers! - Maria's death in Gears of War 2. Once you learn more about their relationship and history, it makes it sadder.

Sorry if I was sounding condescending there. You may have already known these things I've said, but I still felt it was important nonetheless.

This was kind of the thought process that was going on after he called me on my comment. It was a learning experience if nothing else. It's kind of the reason for this topic, games are things are people love and attacking their taste in games is attacking something that is a part of them. I forgot that and it came back to bite me.
melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By melodiousj

I'm wrong often enough that admitting it doesn't phase me, and any argument with an idiot who refuses to do the same is one that can't possibly end well, so I do try to remove myself from the confrontation at some point.

The times when I most get in trouble are when someone misunderstands my point, and disagrees with the point they thought I was making. Often, I genuinely agree with all their counter-arguments, but somehow get caught in an endless loop of trying to reiterate my original point, often with increasingly detailed and verbose language to make sure I'm understood, followed by the person continuing to argue against they point they think I'm making. Then I get all the more frustrated and wordy, they think I'm acting defensive and refusing to listen to them, then I get even more frustrated, and shit just spirals out of control from there.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By donkeycow

My pride makes it hard for me to back down from a fight in either real life or the world wide web. Luckily for me i'm NEVER wrong......

melodiousj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By melodiousj

One little trick, I find, when things get heated is to just tell the person that you must not have understood their original point (even if you did), and ask them to clarify, and if they do, to try re-evaluating it. Even if you still disagree, it gives everyone a chance to calm down.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MezZa

If I'm wrong about something or hurt someone accidently with my words then I'll man up and admit it as soon as I realize it. If it's a situation where I'm going back and forth with someone for too long and I don't think I'm wrong, I'll usually just stop responding or agree to disagree. No point in having drawn out discussions online imo because people will rarely change their opinion.

I've spent too many years on other sites arguing and not backing down when I was younger. Eventually you just learn that it's not worth it. Whether it's more experience or just more maturity, I don't know.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By tyxja

Even if something bugs me on the internet, I don't bother complaining. There just isn't a point unless it's a truly important matter.

I used to be a little shit, though.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By Arebuckle

I do my best to not get myself into these situations. However, if I somehow find myself in a parley, I'll back out if I feel that I am incorrect or if my sparring partner doesn't appear to open to another opinion. The latter occurring most recently around a discussion of the Wii U.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By 49th

I tend not to engage in arguments over the internet. When people reply to my comments most of the time I will just ignore it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Sooty

Never. I will take GTA IV being a shitty game to my grave.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By MikeGosot

I think i'm too proud to back down, so i just leave. But i'm getting better, apologizing if i'm wrong, and respecting others opinions. For example, @GenocidalKitten: and i were debating if games are the best medium for horror or not. In the end, i noticed that was mmoire subjective, and simply agreed to disagree. But i feel like i was a dick, so, Mr. Kitten, if i was a dick, my bad.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By Ben_H

I'm a pacifist for arguments. If someone tries to start I just ignore them. The only time I confront someone is if I know they are blatantly wrong (as in, 10 seconds of Google searching proves them wrong. For example, on a different forum someone said Windows XP was superior because it had Classic Theme and the later ones didn't and he was being a dick about it. Now, anyone who has used Vista or 7 knows that is completely wrong so I just pointed out he was wrong and that he should perhaps do his research).

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cmblasko

I find that the majority of internet arguments are incredibly pedantic, especially when it comes to video game message boards. I usually just stop responding after 1 or 2 replies regardless of the outcome.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bio595

@Jrad said:

I don't make serious arguments on the internet. I make sweeping and condescending blanket statements and when someone calls me on my bullshit I present an even more radical and outlandish opinion in return. This continues until the other party abandons ship.

Nu-uh, It was zombies that landed on the moon.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By steveurkel

Right before I Get banned.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#76  Edited By Slag

@adam1808 said:

Do you ever back down? Do you ever make a habit of apologising of people take a sarcastic/patronising remark personally?

I always try to freely admit when I'm wrong, as soon as I feel that I am. And I try to be open minded so that I can recognize when it happens.

I'll usually avoid making statements in absolutes in the first place to avoid having silly fights over semantics. Most internet fights seems to be over phrasing. (There is a huge difference between saying " This game blows!" vs " I think this game blows!". ).

The problems arise when I'm right. Most times I'll just try leave the discussion amicably, but sometimes that isn't possible.

As for your second question, I'm not sure what you're asking OP.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By cornbredx

I will always back down if I am in the wrong. 

It often comes with a reply saying someone has never seen an apology before on the internet blah blah blah. 

I apologize all the time when I am wrong, ain't no shame in it. I'm an adult and I feel I handle myself that way. 

I also feel having a debate is different then having an argument. Having a debate indicates both opinions are informed and they just disagree- or misunderstand- each other. There is no anger or anything in that though. It is fun to have a debate with someone respectfully. Having an argument indicates one person is contradicting the other and one (or both) just don't want to shut up- and one or both sides often do not like each other and are taking it personal. Arguments often go in circles and are uninteresting to read let alone par take in.  

I try not to argue. If someone trolls me I more than likely just don't respond. Happens all the time on this forum and others. But that's life.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#78  Edited By impartialgecko
@Slag: The second question is more an addendum to the first, I was just wondering whether you apologise when you take an argument too far.
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#79  Edited By Slag

@adam1808 said:

@Slag: The second question is more an addendum to the first, I was just wondering whether you apologise when you take an argument too far.

Oh , thanks for the clarification OP.

yes I do apologize if I did something wrong. Try to anyway. But I also try to never let it get that far in the first place.

doesn't always work.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zaccheus

I hate all this "being a dick on the internet" crap and avoid it the best I can. I also enjoy apologizing and admitting my mistakes immensely, because it makes me feel like a good person. Recognize, admit, apologize and learn! That's the way I like to look at mistakes. I don't want to have anything to do with people who can't admit when they are wrong.

“In general, pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes.” -Steven H. Coogler

Terrorbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Terrorbite

I rather be nice at first then even start with a rude/ sarcastic comment, I don't find those productive and it has me wondering why someone would be rude to someone they never met just because they think different things. If I'm attacked I tend just to restate my opinion as such and not pay mind to my aggressor. Back on topic, if a state a fact that's wroung and someone calls me I'll admit fault no problem, there is no shame in being misinformed,

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deox

Picking fights on the internet is fucking dumb. Don't do it people, it just makes you look like an insecure loser.

Luckily most people in the GB community are really cool.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By beforet

Before I even make the post. Most the time I can't bring myself to comment on a thread. Usually I'll start writing up a response, say "fuck it" and delete what I've written.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By galacticgravy

My usual tactic is to post a rebuttal and then immediately close the browser and do something else. By the time the person has responded, I've forgotten or it's way too late to respond already.