When playing games on the internet, how "chatty" are you? (text/mic)

• 82 results
ShakurNO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ShakurNO
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I only talk to friends online.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

I only ever talk to people I know when I play. If it's just regular-ass matchmaking I don't give a damn about talking. Most likely I'll be alone in talking, or have some jackass respond with something stupid. It's been my experience so far at least.

ShakurNO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShakurNO

Gordon Freemen are so annoying! :O

I don't know how much it matters, but what I had in mind was co-op games.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jasta

If its with random people I'll talk when spoken to but if I'm on Vent with mates I'll chat away as if we were in the same room.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Usually Freeman. I often have it set so I can only hear people on my friends list anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I write, rarely talk as most in-game voice stuff is being abused enough as it is. I guess that's what makes 360/PS3 online gaming sessions a shout-fest, the lack of a proper keyboard.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scrawnto

I usually don't have a mic hooked up, but if I do, I'll chat a bit. Perhaps ironically, I actually chat less in socially focused games like MMOs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Depends what I'm playing. Cooperative I may put on my mic, after listening to the other players for a little to determine how high they rate on the 'Stupid Cock' meter. Competitive I'm almost always silent, unless someone calls me out... ashamed to admit that it has happened before quite a few times over RDR as well -_-'

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I only talk with my brothers or something using mic. I rarely use text chat as well, but when I do it is usually in games where I don't need to keep attention on anything special. Like in Shores of Hazeron.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hourai

Somewhere in the middle. I'm fairly loud with my friends and I'll talk with randoms when I need to, but besides that, I'm pretty silent and mostly play singleplayer games. 

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gargantuan

I only talk to my party.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

I very rarely have anything worth saying to a random kid from across the country, so much that I rarely even put the headset on. 

I generally listen for a few minutes, and if someone is doing call outs or whatever will leave them on, and mute everyone who has terrible music playing or is getting yelled at by their mom or girlfriend. 

When I play co-op, the only person I am playing with is usually my brother, so yeah, we will talk.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By nintendoeats

Firstly, to me online games are largely about chatting with some dudes while playing a game. If I'm not having a conversation, than I may as well be playing against really good bots.

Secondly, in CS at least you have to maintain constant communication in order to get things done. Since that's really the only multiplayer game that I play with any regularity, speaking is just a given.

EDIT: I should probably mention that one of the reasons that I stick to CS is that it has a low dude/douchebag ratio. Its not exactly Plato's Republic, but people are generally civil and relaxed. I assume that this is because only slightly older people still play CS, so you don't get many of the H4l0 r0xxors!111!!  type kids.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#16  Edited By Soap

I usually go out of my way to mute all players immediately and I never play with a headset in. 

Avatar image for amplifiedmuffin
AmplifiedMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By AmplifiedMuffin

Barely ever. I only put the mic on when playing with friends, never with randoms.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I talk on the mic with friends and my cousin during co-op games but, other than that. I just send "gg" text messages when playing the only online game I play. SSFIV. 

Where most people mute other players during game play, I think I'm one of the few that likes to listen to random people act idiotic. A sad form of comedy but, good for an occasional chuckle.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jambones

I generally have my headset on, but due to family either being noisy or trying to sleep I'll rarely talk. 

@UnsavedHero said:

" … Where most people mute other players during game play, I think I'm one of the few that likes to listen to random people act idiotic. A sad form of comedy but, good for an occasional chuckle. "
I agree. Unless someone is being incredible offensive or noisy (like a malfunctioning mic or weird, constant heavy breathing), I'll leave it unmuted.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rockdalf

Depends on the game.  When I play Halo with friends, we usually stay in game chat but don't talk to players that don't have mics.  If someone is being an ass, we usually call them out and usually kick their ass in the game (we've been playing together almost every night since Reach's launch).  You find that the douchey people are a lot less douchey whenever you can scream, "how's my dick taste?!" at the end of the match.  Of course, at that point they usually just leave the lobby without saying one damn word.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By MEATBALL

Unless with friends I forego a mic entirely. The only exception would be L4D.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Vextroid

Only talk to friends(text/voice)/people who talk to me(text). Im not really into talking online.  Except TF2 trade servers (GIVE ME MOAR HATS!!!!!111) 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By crusader8463

Depends on the game. I usually play with a friend and we have skype on the whole time so I talk with him, but in game I don't talk. If someone sends me a PM I will reply to it,unless it's something stupid, or if it's an MMO and you need to type something to point out what to do next I will. 

I like to listen to people talk though. Sadly most of the time it's just a bunch of idiots screaming at each other calling everyone a fag or a newb. When I join a server like that I just log off and find a new one. I don't have the patience to listen to that. I'm not ten years old and on the playground any more.

VetleNM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By VetleNM

I usually just play with friends and have a party chat going, but if not, I'll answer when spoken to, sure. I have a really bad accent though, so I try to talk as little as possible. When the game offers text chat instead (Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Minecraft), I tend to be quite chatty at times. It depends on the people I play with.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By weegieanawrench

I only talk to people on my friends list. Usually when I'm playing online, I'm playing COD and other online shooters where people tend to get their knickers in a twist. Almost anything you say can be taken as an insult, so arguments are constantly raging, and that just ruins my whole experience with the game. "Mute all" is a very necessary feature.

ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ack

i cant help but chat 

constant chats

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mars_Cleric

...? 
...!!! 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yummylee
@UnsavedHero said:
"  Where most people mute other players during game play, I think I'm one of the few that likes to listen to random people act idiotic. A sad form of comedy but, good for an occasional chuckle. "
Oh yeah, same here. Mostly so I can also hear the rage when I kill them in a PVP match or whatever ;P Red Dead especially since that game online is more or less made up of whino sore losers.
ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ack

i love sore whinos 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yummylee
@ack said:
" i love sore whinos  "
THEN YOU'LL JUST LOOOOOOVE RED DEAD REDEMPTION ONLINE!
ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ack

hooray!

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SamSharp505

I talk to mates when we have a 6 man team on say CoD though I can't talk as much cause only a few of us speak when we play as a team for some reason?! In xbl party though alls well 
only talk to randomers if I have the mic on whilst playing or want to tell somebody to shut up. 
@UnsavedHero
 said: 
" I talk on the mic with friends and my cousin during co-op games but, other than that. I just send "gg" text messages when playing the only online game I play. SSFIV.  Where most people mute other players during game play, I think I'm one of the few that likes to listen to random people act idiotic. A sad form of comedy but, good for an occasional chuckle. "
yeah I have it on just in case somebody funny is on or there's somebody who isn't a douche.
cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cgoodno

The only time I've actually communicated with others online while playing a game is when I'm playing an MMO.  Online shooters, people are just annoying and the group changing up from game to game.  With Web browser games, it's text-based and there are usually a hundred people talking at once in a single channel that I'd rather enjoy my game rather than waste time keeping up with the inane topics that pop into someone's head.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By matti00

I can't stand co-op, but in regular multiplayer I go no mic, mute everyone. Hey, it's not my fault everyone on Xbox Live is a dickhead.

yope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yope

I like a little boring chit-chat from time to time..

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 02sfraser

I talk when I need to. I don't like people who go on about pointless dribble that no one cares about. Fair enough to a friend but when someone in a WoW group is talking about their sick cat, you tend to not care.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By swamplord666

in everything except MAG i either have no mic or i don't speak. In MAG i talk when i'm squad or platoon leader

Avatar image for deactivated-57f027c6197c3
deactivated-57f027c6197c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voice chat whenever the option is available, because I am a sad, lonely man.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fearthephins

I've very quiet haha if someone starts talking to me I'll obviously talk back but usually I'll keep talking to a minimum. I don't know if that has to do with my shyness in real life or if I just see no real reason to chat with the other players.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Unless I'm playing with someone I know, my text is usually limited to game-pertinent information. i.e.:
"Their intel is at top of spiral"
or
"heal me pl0x"

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#41  Edited By citizenkane

Depends if anybody else is talking during the game.  If other people are chatty, then I will join in.  If everybody else is pretty much silent, then I do the same.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By melcene

Sometimes I'm really quiet.  Sometimes I'm really talkative.  All depends.

C4Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By C4Turtle

I don't have too many friends that play games online so I just keep quiet. It's one of the main reasons I don't get too into MMOs.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#44  Edited By Sin4profit

i usually dont plug in my headset unless it's obvious someone's trying to get some team organization going. I don't really have a regular team of people i play with so chatting with randoms is not my thing.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jkz

Unless I'm playing with friends, I don't talk at all, and most of the time, I mute most of the people in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not too often, really. I'm more interested in just sitting down and playing the game, but if somebody needs help and nobody else is answering, I'll usually pipe up and help them out.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#47  Edited By donutfever

I may say something like "Good Luck!", "GLHF", etc. but mostly speak when spoken to.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead

What's the point of playing online if you're not going to talk? You're pretty much playing with bots at that point.

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By mubblegum

I must admit, I generally stay quiet, and mute mic. I really hate the thought of using voice unless with friends I personally already know. Especially as I'm a girl and it often ends with some random crude or lewd comments. Or the dude who says "oh muh god, a girl is playing!" as if he just discovered gold in his nostril whilst digging around for the remains of his brain. 

I do sometimes use text in games, depends on the type of game though, in WoW for example I use it all the time no matter who it is, but in a lot of console games I rarely bother. In ModNation online I did enjoy randomly hearing people singing during races... no idea why they did, still to this day.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#50  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I mute microphones when it's not with friends. On the PC I chat away quite a lot depending on the situation.