• 60 results
Edited 11 months, 8 days ago

Poll: When was the last time you visited your local public library? (excludes university libraries) (147 votes)

Less than 24 hours ago 5%
2 days ago 6%
5 days ago 4%
1 week ago 3%
2 weeks ago 8%
1 month ago 6%
3 months ago 5%
6 months ago 5%
1 year ago 7%
2 years ago 4%
3 years ago 5%
5 years ago 5%
5+ years ago 35%

I have been working through major technology apathy. I don't give a fuck about new tech anymore. These days I've been "technology regressing", meaning I've been enjoying old technology and old media more and more. One of these outlets is my local public library and reading physical books more often.

That got me thinking, how often do the rest of you go to the library? Do you have a library card? The wisdom of the world is available there if you take the time to go and get it.

#1 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

I have books out right now, the libraries around here are in pretty bad shape, I really only go when I'm looking for something that's no longer for sale.

#3 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

Couple years ago, but I should go back and pick something up.

#4 Edited by Hailinel (24292 posts) -

The last time I went to a library was a couple of months ago, but that that was for an information meeting on proposed changes to neighborhood bus stops. I don't think I've gone to a library to actually check a book out since college. Though I did use library computers on occasion when they were convenient (and before smart phones existed).

#5 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

Probably six months or so ago. Before that it was a few years between visits and I swear it was the exact same.

#7 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Two weeks ago.

Picked up The Last of Us and Grid 2

Shit is tight.

Except for Grid 2, which sucks a dick.

#8 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Yesterday? I wouldn't consider myself a Luddite but I enjoy older media over even the best screens and it's a nice walk. Something about the weight and feel of a well-designed book has a mystique I enjoy, as well.

#9 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

a while. Not that I don't want to, it's just that I keep making excuses and getting my reading in other, way more terrible places (fanfiction)

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21479 posts) -

A couple of weeks ago. It was for a job interview rather than a book, though.

#11 Edited by FengShuiGod (1480 posts) -

I would go more, but my library doesn't really have anything. The last time I went I wanted to pick up something by Guy Debord, and all they had was rows of James Patterson and Stephen King books.

#12 Edited by believer258 (11776 posts) -

About a month ago. I actually have some books I need to take back before they slap late charges on me, which they probably already have. These books weren't for school, by the way - I went to the library over the summer a handful of times.

As for the technology regressing thing - yes and no. It's not always easy to focus with technology around me, but the resources that the internet gives are pretty valuable when doing some quick fact checking, and that can really save some time. Still, the value of a good notebook and pen are incredibly under appreciated these days. I'm always bugged when someone brings a laptop to take notes during class. I mean, I find myself drawing lines to previous little notes, quickly underlining stuff, indenting something, putting bullet points down, etc. With a word processor, I'd have to turn on and off a lot of that stuff, not to mention I couldn't just squiggle a line relating one thing to something else, and in the half-second I CTRL+U to mark something important, the professor might say something I shouldn't have missed.

#13 Posted by stryker1121 (1395 posts) -

I go to my local library at least a couple of times a month. It's a gorgeous facility,for one, and I just like libraries and bookstores (not many of the latter left in my neck o' the woods).

#14 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Last week, returned a book and picked up a new one.

#15 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

I go all the time, in fact, I was just there a few hours ago looking for more books to check out. I don't really like reading on a screen or using those dumbass e-readers or whatever they're called. I love the look, the smell, the weight of a book. That's never going to be replaced.

#16 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2235 posts) -

I want to say at least 15 years ago (I'm 24)

#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (2661 posts) -

A long time ago. I read a lot of books, but it's not usually stuff you could find in a library. Lots of very specific technical books. For the fiction/non-fiction books I read, it's almost always easier to find them at a used book store for pretty cheap prices (I think the most expensive I ever paid for one was $20 and that was because it was a first-printing from the 70's and the book hasn't been printed since the early 80's) so going to the library for me is kind of a waste. Also, I like to keep the books I read so I can reread them later.

#18 Posted by NicksCorner (415 posts) -

Last time I visited my local library I got a huge surprise. They had done a complete make over. The place looked really stylish and had an inviting atmosphere.

But I just wanted my book, got it and left. Sadly it cant compare to my sweet ass PC.

#20 Edited by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

When I was eleven I checked out a copy of some Wayside School book, then I lost it and didn't have the money to pay for it so I never went back. So it's been 11 years since I went to the library, half of my life. I used to go to the University of Arizona library all the time to play Runescape on their computers though. I didn't have personal access to the internet until I was 16.

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2235 posts) -

When I was eleven I checked out a copy of some Wayside School book, then I lost it and didn't have the money to pay for it so I never went back. So it's been 11 years since I went to the library, half of my life. I used to go to the University of Arizona library all the time to play Runescape on their computers though. I didn't have personal access to the internet until I was 16.

you should go back to that library and see if those charges are still adding up (then run like hell)

#22 Posted by Doskias (304 posts) -

I go there pretty regularly. Lately I've been getting the collected volumes of the Fables comics shipped to my local library from others in the county. It's good stuff.

And I still will occasionally get a new or old book from them. I live on a pretty tight budget most of the time, so even relatively cheap kindle books aren't always a wise thing to buy on impulse.

#23 Posted by Sinusoidal (1391 posts) -

It's been 9 years almost to the month. That's when I moved to Korea. Back in Canada I was there at least once a week. I think I read almost every sci-fi book my local library had. Now I download epubs.

#24 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I have a library like down the street from me. I havent been to it in AGES.

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I have a library like down the street from me. I havent been to it in AGES.

#26 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I don't think I've ever been to a public library. I prefer to buy books and don't really read stuff that's out of print anyway.

#27 Posted by SuperTess (142 posts) -

I went on Thursday, but I work there. Go to your libraries, people!

#28 Posted by moffattron9000 (352 posts) -

Yesterday. They have free WiFi.

#29 Edited by PenguinDust (12484 posts) -

It's been a few years. I just don't have the time or motivation to read anymore. When I was younger I'd delve into novels eagerly, but these days I can barely make it through a magazine article without nodding off. I think libraries are great, but reading for entertainment or education isn't an activity in my life right now.

#30 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1557 posts) -

I stopped going until my local library started getting foreign books in.

#31 Edited by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

I went last week to kill some time, but I do actually go on occasion to check out books.

#32 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2670 posts) -

I'm a librarian...I'm in or around a library six days a week. As some have pointed out libraries vary in quality or ease of use. If you local library stinks that is too bad, but I would encourage you to use it....use it or lose it folks.

Most modern/good libraries these days have wi-fi, have free dvd/bluray collections to borrow, public access computers, and many have video games. If you live is a city your library might have a coffee shop inside or a 'Maker Space'. That is the big trend now - maker spaces. We are planning to buy a 3D printer and have classes on 3D printing this winter. We are looking into other stuff to provide in our maker space as well, cost isn't the problem, it is finding people with expertise.

My library offers all the tech stuff, but we still do a very brisk business in fiction books, biographies, videos and music Cds. You would think that with iTunes, Pandora, etc that people wouldn't want CDs anymore, but I guess ripping a whole album on cd still has its charms.

#33 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

I worked near my library for a while and walked over there to eat lunch, so 4 months ago. Hard copy books are way better in my opinion.

#34 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2670 posts) -

I'm a librarian...I'm in or around a library six days a week. As some have pointed out libraries vary in quality or ease of use. If you local library stinks that is too bad, but I would encourage you to use it....use it or lose it folks.

Most modern/good libraries these days have wi-fi, have free dvd/bluray collections to borrow, public access computers, and many have video games. If you live is a city your library might have a coffee shop inside or a 'Maker Space'. That is the big trend now - maker spaces. We are planning to buy a 3D printer and have classes on 3D printing this winter. We are looking into other stuff to provide in our maker space as well, cost isn't the problem, it is finding people with expertise.

My library offers all the tech stuff, but we still do a very brisk business in fiction books, biographies, videos and music Cds. You would think that with iTunes, Pandora, etc that people wouldn't want CDs anymore, but I guess ripping a whole album on cd still has its charms.

#35 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2670 posts) -

#36 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1632 posts) -

Last 24 hours... I had work there yesterday! It's the field I'm going into when I finish school. Libraries are the shit, yo.

It also depends on the funding it receives and the size of the town. My town is relatively small but the library is really well funded so we have a medium sized library with a pretty good number of amenities. Some libraries in our network are outrageously huge! But they have populations of close to 100k people.

#37 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

Our library was rolled in with the uni library and is a huge complex of awful. And the outside is gold. Ugly as fuck. I don't go there 'cause I don't need to.

#38 Posted by Nev (544 posts) -

2006? I don't know, I live in a tiny town - the library here is just a little square of nothing. I'm not even sure it's even open still, to be honest. I got a Kindle back in 2008 or 2009, and I've done all my reading there since, and it really revitalized reading for me.

#40 Posted by Flacracker (1645 posts) -

Never

#41 Edited by RoyaleWifCheese (546 posts) -

I was in Montreal earlier this week and went to a library just to check it out. Damn near all of the books I picked up were in French, so I couldn't read them.

#42 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2467 posts) -

I was forced to go there during elementary school more than 20 years ago, and that's about it.

#43 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (546 posts) -

I was in Montreal earlier this week and went to a library just to check it out. Damn near all of the books I picked up were in French, so I couldn't read them.

#44 Posted by VirtuaGrant (52 posts) -

I used to live next door to the library and spend most of my free time there reading and playing chess with some old guys who spent all day there. But a few years back I moved to the opposite side of the city so now I just go to the university library if they have what I'm looking for.

Even though I'm not quite as apathetic to new technology as you describe, books are the one media that I've never gone digital with. I have no interest in a Kindle and that's unlikely to change as there is always something special about having a physical copy of a book that I can't quite describe.

#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13156 posts) -

A few months ago when I was in school. They've got a silent room overlooking this "Japanese Garden" donated by my towns sister city in Japan as some sort of cultural exchange. It's a pretty peaceful place to study.

#46 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

I used to go to my local library all the time when I was a kid. It was one of those Carnegie Libraries and the building was just so cool. I checked out so many dinosaur books there I was a paleontologist prodigy by age six.

Unfortunately when that library closed I stopped going on a regular basis. The library they moved everything into is admittedly a much nicer establishment, but it doesn't quite have the same charm as that old ass building.

Okay, story time over. I went last Thursday to use their copy machine.

#47 Posted by razzdrazz (64 posts) -

As someone who worked in a university library, I think that public libraries are awesome and highly underused. They have new releases of nearly every major genre, audiobooks, DVDs and (some) Blu-rays, current magazines and newspapers. Moreover, depending on how well-connected your particular location is to the ILL (inter-library loan) system, you can request materials from other libraries. I'm a millennial, so I can definitely attest to how great the Internet is. Online databases and archives are great! As a student, I used my fair share. But, local libraries are gems and you can find some truly great stuff there if you look

I first listened to Jimi Hendrix as a kid after checking out the CD from my pub library. That should be enough of an argument as to why libraries are great.

#48 Edited by mosespippy (4106 posts) -

I was gonna say 3 years ago when I worked at a library but I guess it is actually 2 years ago when I applied to work at a different library. Since then our government fucked up its budget and had to cut spending for everything it does. Libraries weren't in great shape before but they're in even worse shape now.

#49 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

It has been a long time.

#50 Posted by Capshot (35 posts) -

A few weeks ago, to pick up Driver: San Francisco. That was a weird, fun game.

Now, going to a library for a book would be a bit longer. Maybe 2-3 months?