• 103 results
#51 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Fuck the heel.

#52 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1297 posts) -

Why would you ever throw out perfectly good food? So I vote no

#53 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

What? Why would you toss it out?

#54 Edited by Hungry (166 posts) -

If I ever eat the ends of a loaf of bread I have to either have them individually in one eating session, or have them both (if I am eating a sandwich or something like that). It is delicious however, and I love the ends of all breads.

#55 Posted by PhilipDuck (569 posts) -

YES! IT'S EVIL!

#56 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4494 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I keep it to help maintain the freshness of the inner pieces, then throw it out at the end.

#57 Posted by Grillbar (1904 posts) -

i presume we are talking sliced bread

@Animasta said:

we don't throw it away at the start but we do just leave it in until all the bread is gone and THEN throw it away... it's so dumb.

no man the end is covering the rest of the bread so it does not get stale, it fine.

#58 Posted by Zeik (2758 posts) -

@SolongWrex said:

I can understand throwing out the end of an American pullman loaf, which I guess most of the people in this thread associate with the word bread, because the crust on those is at best completely unremarkable. French bread on the other hand...those chewy heels caused many a fight between my siblings and me.

I can agree with this.

#59 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

Those heels come in handy when you want a late night sandwich and there is only one piece of non-heel bread left. So no I don't throw them out.

#60 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

i presume we are talking sliced bread

@Animasta said:

we don't throw it away at the start but we do just leave it in until all the bread is gone and THEN throw it away... it's so dumb.

no man the end is covering the rest of the bread so it does not get stale, it fine.

that would be the logical thing to do but the ends just fall sideways and they just stay in there.

SO DUMB

#61 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Fuck no. Toast that shit.

#62 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I eat it

#63 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I use them to make bread crumbs

#64 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

I eat like 2 or 3 sandwiches a week. My bread gets stale and moldy almost half way through the loaf so I just throw away the heel.

#65 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

Heeled jelly sandwiches were my jam in elementary school.

#66 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

yes, we keep them until the bread is done. it keeps the inner pieces fresher.

#67 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

No. I'm a bread fiend though. I can eat a loaf of bread by itself. It's probably my favorite pastry. I'm not throwing away jack shit.

#68 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

The heel is the best part.

#69 Posted by PattyOFurniture (34 posts) -

my mother has this really weird thing with "end bread" so i have naturally followed suit. i don't take it as far as her though; she'll throw away a good portion of milk because it is getting towards the end of the carton. she calls it "end milk."

#70 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

The dog and the birds seem to like that part, so we just throw it to the dog if we remember it and if we forget about it and it goes all hard the birds get it.

#71 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -

No because it tastes the same as any other slice, sometimes one of the ends gets left but that's only because it's at the other of the end from the opening and it occasionally goes moldy by the time we get to it, otherwise bread is bread.

#72 Posted by itspizza (446 posts) -

I'll use it if I'm desperate, but I usually throw it out

#73 Posted by smitty86 (695 posts) -

Coming from a person who enjoys just eating slices of bread and will regularly eat the crust off first, hell fucking no. Save that heel to the end and then eat that too.

#74 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

you save both ends and use it for a sammich at the end.

though ive never heard anyone call it a heel before. thats stupid

#75 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

My dog loves it.

#76 Posted by Encephalon (1334 posts) -

I leave them till the end, then throw them away.

#77 Posted by TobbRobb (4843 posts) -

Sometimes I just wolf it down with orange juice or something. It feels less weird to eat plain bread when it's the heel.

But I don't really do it that often. Since it's usually in the bag until the bitter end, I expect my family just throw them away.

#78 Posted by gla55jAw (2696 posts) -

I don't think I've ever ate that part before. That being said, I leave it in the bag until just the two ends are left, just in case some crazy person in my house decides they want to eat it.

#79 Posted by MonetaryDread (2176 posts) -

I dislike the crust on most bread so the end pieces are useless for eating. Yet, if you are cooking a lot of bacon the end pieces are useful for soaking up the grease.

#80 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Never! Depending on the type of bread, the heel can be the tastiest bit!

#81 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

If you don't like it, give it to birds?

#82 Posted by Jothel (936 posts) -

The end makes the best toast!

#83 Posted by Jay_Ray (1129 posts) -

I save the heels for soup or stew.

#84 Posted by Hunter5024 (5964 posts) -

I do, and I've never questioned it until now. Seems rather wasteful.

#85 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Hell no, that's just wasteful

#86 Posted by Splodge (1951 posts) -

Heres something you can do with the heels :

#87 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

I would take a loaf, scoop all the insides out and just eat the remaining crust. That is the only tasty part of bread.

#88 Posted by believer258 (12188 posts) -

...I eat them.

#89 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

I don't know what you are referring to, but I have a personal rule to never throw away food unless it is inedible.

#90 Posted by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

FUCK NO!

They make the best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ever!

#91 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

The crunchy bit at the end? I eat the fuck out of that! How can anyone not like it?

#92 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I'm that dick that takes from behind the heel every time.

#93 Posted by 71Ranchero (2829 posts) -

The person that opens the bag for the first time should take the first end. I dont mind them in the least, it tastes exactly the same.

#94 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4808 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

Wait - people throw away the ends?

WHAT!?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it - it's just bread! I find this seriously disturbing.

THANK YOU. It drives me absolutely insane. It's literally just bread like every other piece of bread in the damn loaf, but, for some reason, it really bothers people and the fact it bothers them really bothers me.

#95 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I keep it to help maintain the freshness of the inner pieces, then throw it out at the end.

This.

#96 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

I save the heels for soup or stew.

This exactly. Especially if it's a hardy stew. You can make awesome trencher sandwiches to eat while reading/watching Game of Thrones or playing Skyrim. That's what I do, anyway.

#97 Posted by Sterling (2701 posts) -

@Jothel said:

The end makes the best toast!

Exactly.

#98 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

I give that ish to my dog. He knows how to appreciate it.

#99 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

Fuck no that would be wasting bread.

#100 Posted by FaPaThY (139 posts) -

I save both ends until last and make a sandwich out of them or whatever, just to keep everything symmetrical.