Where are the HDTV experts?

SaintLReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaintLReviews

I know nothing about HDTVs yet Im currently looking to buy one. What does it mean when a TV says:
"HD compatibility:
- 480i 
- 480p
- 720p
- 1080i"

??
Most TVs in the description say Example: Sony 26in 720p....this one just says LCD HDTV and then when I look for its output it says ^^^ what I posted there. So is this better then a Sony 720p?Worse output? Does it mean Ill need something else?? Answers people, you have them I need em. Thanks!

SaintLReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SaintLReviews

is there no one!
           -Achilles

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AkumaX

I'm no expert, but I think it has to do with what output fits the TV best, sort of like native resolutions on a monitor. You can run stuff in 1080i on a 720p TV, but it will look better in 720p because that's what it's designed for. Everything with HD compatability has a selection of different output signals and many just pick the native one. Bigger is better, a smaller TV will probably have 480p or 720p, but I've never really seen much of a difference in any of them tbh.

Buy your TV and no matter what its native output is it'll work with your PS3/Xbox/Whatever. The one you're looking at will have a native res, but obviously it just means it's compatible with all. Look it up online and you'll get more detailed info. Hope that helps.

[Also, the XXXi means "interlaced" output, and XXXp means... I can't remember, but apparently it is a little faster because of the way it outputs the signal]

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#4  Edited By joey

i just know that 1080p is the best.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suneku
SaintLReviews said:
"I know nothing about HDTVs yet Im currently looking to buy one. What does it mean when a TV says:
"HD compatibility:
- 480i 
- 480p
- 720p
- 1080i"

It means that this TV can display all of those. 1080p is the highest on the market right now I think, but the difference from 720p/1080i to 1080p isn't that noticeable.
SaintLReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintLReviews
suneku said:
"SaintLReviews said:
"I know nothing about HDTVs yet Im currently looking to buy one. What does it mean when a TV says:
"HD compatibility:
- 480i 
- 480p
- 720p
- 1080i"

It means that this TV can display all of those. 1080p is the highest on the market right now I think, but the difference from 720p/1080i to 1080p isn't that noticeable."
So like this basically is a 26in LCD HDTV 1080i?