• 121 results
#51 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4851 posts) -
@tourgen said:

Let's talk about the real problem here. Twitter. And the people who use it.

I agree. Nothing good has come from Twitter. Nothing. It's reducing human interaction to bite-sized, easily digested quips. There's no substance, no thought, and no room for complex ideas.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it's taken off like it has, though.

#52 Edited by Deadlydog (166 posts) -

People who get butthurt over comedians are stupid.

#53 Edited by Turambar (6813 posts) -

A remainder to everyone:

Freedom of Speech means the government cannot restrict your right to self expression through laws. It does not protect you from being fired, nor from public criticism.

Invoking the First amendment to protect comedians from public criticism for their jokes is the same misrepresentation of law as when it was invoked to protect Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty from criticism for his homophobic remarks.

#54 Edited by yinstarrunner (1219 posts) -

I laughed at that Colbert's tweet before I even knew the context. I don't know what that says about me as a person.

#55 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

If a comedian isn't offending someone, chances are they aren't doing their job. Unsurprisingly, a lot of comedians are also dicks.

#56 Posted by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

As long as it's funny, I don't really care how offensive it is.

#57 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -

I can't begin to fathom the arrogance of calling for a show to be cancelled because they said something you don't like. Change the channel, dummy.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it." -Marilyn Monroe

#58 Edited by Dixavd (1359 posts) -

It depends where the joke is said. As others have pointed out, posting that on Twitter wasn't the right venue to show that kind of thing. Similarly, the same joke can make me laugh or annoyed depending on where it is said. And that stretches to jokes that pertain to racism as well as minor things like references to drinking or just some swear words. Think about who's likely to see what you're about to say, and think about if it makes sense in that context (picking jokes to put on that Twitter feed must be difficult from a stand-point of finding stand-alone jokes - but it is important to remember whether the tone of the act is important when delivering a joke - and thus copying it to Twitter wouldn't work).

Also, don't just do it out of the blue. I'll be annoyed if I went to see a comedian who usually made a certain type of joke (such as family-friendly jokes) and then suddenly went out with very different ones of varying questionable-level (though this could be mitigated if it was advertized as such). It's for this reason that Jimmy Carr can never offend me, but a more politically correct comedian could take one of his jokes and it would get to me - because there isn't the mutual understanding that this terratory is fair game.

#59 Posted by The_Tolman (434 posts) -

I feel like half the people who are throwing around the #cancelcolbert hashtag down realize that the joke was on their side. Why don't they go after the Redskins owner instead who is actually doing the stupid racist shit? Then again, a lot of these twitter activists don't actually know what they're talking about and just latch to popular trends. Watching an interview with Suey Park, who started the hashtag, its obvious she is just as willing to make statements that generalize whites as long as it benefits her opinion. It's funny, generally I agree with a lot of the ideas she puts out, but it's the execution of those ideas that drive me away. Though to her, my opinion means nothing because I am a white male and that means I cannot convey empathy.

#61 Edited by Stonyman65 (2765 posts) -

#62 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I have no problem with crude, racist, and just generally super offensive jokes. They don't bug me at all, the only time they would is if it was an actual personal attack on me or a friend or something. But thats not a joke thats a personal attack. And saying a rape joke to a rape victim is not a personal attack, thats just lack of tact. "You must hate jedi huh? Cus they use the Force"

I do find the whole "lets ruin this guys life / business / career" thing because he once said something offensive or has different political views to be absolutely disgusting and is not justified because you were offended.

#63 Edited by fatalbanana (196 posts) -

One rule I stand by is as long as a joke is funnier than it is mean or "offensive" than no harm no fowl. In Colbert's case I think his joke was so out there and so outrageous and not something actually offensive with how blatantly, I don't know, stereotypical it was and that's what made it funny. I would be surprised if any actual Asians were genuinely offended by it. Somehow how I doubt it. Besides, that same joke or ones a lot like it have been in popular culture forever. That doesn't make it right but now is a weird time for this kind of outrage to happen and it just seems random that Colbert was a target for it.

Also, I just wanted to leave this somewhere.

#64 Edited by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@w1n5t0n said:

@nodima said:

my contribution from the weekend

#CancelColbert because, as a white male, I'm tired of seeing Asians suffer through ching-chong jokes.

Where do you live where everyone is running around telling "ching chong" jokes? I literally never heard anyone make a "ching chong" joke by any race of people.

Two older white guys (40's?) once yelled "ching chong something at me while slapping the hood of my car in an airport parking lot. I was a lot younger and stupider back then so I got out of the car. More so because they slapped my car than the racial comments. They then sorta apologized and said something about not wanting a fight so I just got back in my car and drove away. This was in LA about 15 years ago.

If it happened today, I'd prolly still stop my car and get out because fuck if I'm gonna be totally cool with someone slapping my car but I think it'd be more "wtf is wrong with you" rather than "I'm gonna fuck you up". Racism is crazy and it happens.

As for where I stand on comedians, might as well ask where I stand on racists. Racist people will always be around making racist jokes that I'm not cool with. For me it wholly depends on the intent of the joke and the comedian telling the joke. I'm cool with any joke that is obviously a joke and not just hateful. It helps if the joke is actually funny. I'm no saint myself as I used to tell all kinds of stupid racist and sexist jokes but thankfully, I'm still growing and learning to be a better person.

#65 Posted by Krullban (1042 posts) -

Here is everything you need to know about this girl that started everything.

TL:DR - She's incredibly unstable and racist.

#66 Posted by Quemador (169 posts) -

I believe in freedom of speech, if a comedian tell a joke and i find it funny i check him out if is not funny i ignore him. Nobody have the right to tell others what to talk about.

#67 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2027 posts) -

I guess people are starting to be too dumb to understand satire. Idiocracy is happening you guys :(

#68 Edited by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I think a lot of people in this country need to learn what racist means, instead of grabbing their torches/pitchforks and crucifying a comedian for being comedic.

Why do we live in a society where people are more concerned about getting a show cancelled than they are with... gee, I don't know, boycotting a president that kills tons of innocent people just to take out 1 bad guy? We should probably be more offended by the latter.

#69 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4643 posts) -

@demoskinos: Amen. Amen. A-fucking-men. I was going to post that exact same video too

#70 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

I wonder if anybody has explained the full context of the scandal yet.

In this thread or in general? Because Colbert did explain the situation in Monday's episode.

#71 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@alexandersheen:

This guy is really good I wish i could see his show here....

#72 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

Maher got fired because he said the 9/11 attackers were not cowards? They were evil for killing innocent people and they deserve to burn in hell, absolutely, but they had the balls to suicide into a building.. on a cowardice scale from 1 to 10 that's definitely a zero.

I also like how he defines cowardice as launching missiles that ruined nations' lives across the world while hiding in safety, I agree with that. The US government is up there with those attackers for me, they killed millions, not 2 thousand, of civilians and crippled entire nations.

That dude sounds legit to me now. I disliked him in the past for dedicating so much of his time to make fame off of rehashed religion 'jabs' (I agree with his criticism of the corporation of religion but he needs to lay off that topic), but after this video I can see he knows what sense and justice are.

#73 Posted by crithon (3338 posts) -

I'm right now listening to George Carlin..... how fitting. And I intend listening to Bill Hicks

#74 Edited by Abendlaender (2838 posts) -

Well, there is definitely a line, but hell if I know where it is drawn. I think it's all about how funny the joke is, right? And your personal preferences of course. I probably couldn't laught the world's most hilarious rape joke, others might. That doesn't make them bad people. I think one single joke can and should never be an indicator. If you constantly make racist jokes, that's something different (to me at least). It's like only watching the one episode of the Simpsons where they go to India and call the racist because of that.

#75 Edited by Brodehouse (10079 posts) -

That Suey Park woman is in-cuh-redible.

#76 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Suey Park seems like the worst kind of person.

#77 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#78 Edited by Fattony12000 (7528 posts) -
@tourgen said:

Let's talk about the real problem here. Twitter. And the people who use it.

I agree. Nothing good has come from Twitter. Nothing. It's reducing human interaction to bite-sized, easily digested quips. There's no substance, no thought, and no room for complex ideas.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it's taken off like it has, though.

Speak for yourself.

#79 Posted by Brodehouse (10079 posts) -
#80 Edited by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

@singingmenstrual said:

Maher got fired because he said the 9/11 attackers were not cowards? They were evil for killing innocent people and they deserve to burn in hell, absolutely, but they had the balls to suicide into a building.. on a cowardice scale from 1 to 10 that's definitely a zero.

I also like how he defines cowardice as launching missiles that ruined nations' lives across the world while hiding in safety, I agree with that. The US government is up there with those attackers for me, they killed millions, not 2 thousand, of civilians and crippled entire nations.

That dude sounds legit to me now. I disliked him in the past for dedicating so much of his time to make fame off of rehashed religion 'jabs' (I agree with his criticism of the corporation of religion but he needs to lay off that topic), but after this video I can see he knows what sense and justice are.

I can get why people would get pissed at him. The Nazis were terrible people too. But I wouldn't call Hitler a coward. Maher does hit on religion a lot. He is a pretty smart dude and has a lot of good insight and not blindly associated with a single party. He has a show on HBO I watch a lot. It's my favorite of the late night satire shows.

#82 Posted by geirr (2637 posts) -

Colbert can be really funny since even I, as a mountain-dwelling Norwegian, sort of understood the recent "racist comments" that he was just pointing out how perfectly fine most of America is with, say, the whole Redskins debacle. So if you found it offensive, and you're fine with the Redskins, you're a hypocrite.

#83 Edited by xbob42 (541 posts) -

My absolute favorite part of all this is that the lunatic idiot who started all this, in addition to all her other inane ramblings, posted these gems:

I think anyone, anywhere, should be able to say whatever the fuck they want, whenever the fuck they want, no matter how "offensive," because words are just words. Even the silly shit this girl's saying, I'm totally fine with! Say even crazier shit! That's the beauty of it all. You can say whatever the fuck you want, and if I'm for some reason offended, I can just elect not to listen.

#84 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5807 posts) -

Is this still going on even though it was clarified that Colbert didn't even make the tweet?

#85 Posted by AMyggen (3341 posts) -

I take a very George Carlin stance on political correctness and comedians. Comedians should be able to joke about anything, and I mean anything. Having said that though, they shouldn't be surprised when someone gets offended.

Pretty much this.

The #CancelColbert thing was way dumb though, glad Comedy Central didn't react to it.

#86 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

Re: OP: Context, context, contextpants. I don't feel like Colbert's bit was racist in context, but the internet yellerati likes to pluck tidbits out to get upset about, and then the bandwagoners jump on board without investigating what they're yelling about haha XD

That said, I'm fine with comedians/artists of all stripes doing any kind of material they want to present. They should just be ready for some backlash if it's insensitive/ stupid/ not funny. And I usually end up turning off standup specials that delve into homophobic or racist material that isn't clever or progressive. Just my personal taste and viewpoint, though.

#87 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5807 posts) -

I watched his response on the report and that's exactly the way you handle something like this. Colbert is the best.

Also, can we all just agree social media will be our society's downfall?

#88 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -

I'd worry more...if Colbert wasn't guilty of this crap himself.

To paraphrase Andy Levy of FNC's "Red Eye": Man, it must suck to have somebody take comments out of context and use them to attack you.

He then followed it up with a video of Colbert doing that to him.

Screw the hypocrite. Cancel the show because it is an unfunny, one-note joke that the intellectually vacant still find so relevant while most thinking people recognize for the crap sandwich that it has always been --- not because he was hoisted on his own petard. If you're entire schtick is basically "MY political opponents are idiots and racists", well, you've opened a can of worms for yourself.

#89 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

Man, that Colbert shit... Context is fucking important and anyone who thinks Colbert is racist has no damn clue what they're talking about.

#90 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2902 posts) -

Everything is funny, or can be in a certain context. I don't think there are topics that are too taboo for comedy. But, I do think that often people not trying to be funny, I mean not comedians, try to hide hurtful and stupid comments by saying, "Ah, just joking."

We all should know the art of being a stand up comedian is subtle, so I think that people should separate out what comedians do from what the common person say as a stupid comment. Mostly comedians don't come form a place of fear in their comedy. Most comedians don't make fun of people or say something out of ignorance/fear very often...at least not good comedians. They don't because, a professional comedian, is often someone who works and thinks about every word they do on stage. Even the worst comedian put 10x more though into a joke than the funniest person you know - just sheer repetition as they do their act over time ensures that.

#91 Posted by Cybertification (205 posts) -

I believe that you can be as racist, sexist or whatever-ist as you want, as long as it won't actually hurt someone. I don't think someone feeling slightly insulted at what someone who they will never meet said counts as being hurt.

#92 Posted by Lyisa (372 posts) -

Full disclosure: I don't actively avoid Colbert, but I don't plan on ever watching anything hes ever done or will do. I don't think hes funny on the grand scale of comedy I enjoy, but I don't find him particularly offensive most of the time either.

If he got fired over #cancelcolbert that would be really surprising and dumb. I want to say comedy central has aired far worse things than he has tweeted.

#93 Edited by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

If people knew why he said/tweeted/whatevered those things (he was satirizing a foundation the washington red skins created for native americans) this wouldn't even be an issue People need to do research before they blindly rage against something. Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report is a fucking character satirizing insensitive republican news pundits. He's said that Hitler had some good ideas and that Rosa Parks was a criminal. He doesn't actually believe these things, he's using these ridiculous ideas to illustrate a point. He pulled one of the greatest lampoons in history when he founded his own superpac, illustrating how broken that system is along the way. I guess satire/comedy is dying because everyone is so fucking uptight these days.

Edit: a writer for CNN is calling for Colbert to apologize... What a fucking joke.

#94 Posted by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@sgtsphynx said:

I take a very George Carlin stance on political correctness and comedians. Comedians should be able to joke about anything, and I mean anything. Having said that though, they shouldn't be surprised when someone gets offended.

Pretty much this.

The #CancelColbert thing was way dumb though, glad Comedy Central didn't react to it.

They totally reacted to it. Not only did they delete the tweet, but they deleted @colbertreport (the official twitter account for the show). Probably fired some people too.

#95 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2902 posts) -

Derek Zoolander: What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?

Mugatu: Derek, this is just a small...

Derek Zoolander: I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

#96 Posted by Budwyzer (599 posts) -

What's racism? "Googling..." OMG, this is a thing? Due to my recent societal upbringing I had no idea, prior to now, that we are supposed to hate people of different skin colors than our own simply for being different. I shall definitely change my ways now to be a better fit with the rest of society.

Honestly, I feel like we should all just stop talking about it and let it go. Why can't we all just be friends?

But in reality, this can never happen because people are a product of their raising and some families would inevitably keep racism alive, like a virus that just reaches out to inject the world once it finally starts to heal.

So instead, what we need is comedians to be able to make light of it so that we can accept that we are all different and move past it.

#97 Posted by OtakuGamer (1263 posts) -

This whole thing is just pathetic. Fuck everyone who is involved with this petty campaign.

#98 Posted by development (2440 posts) -
#99 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

I feel like there are totally comedians who just get out there for shock value, but that isn't really entertaining. The good stuff is when Louis CK can win over a crowd slowly while having jokes about rape, suicide, and other really serious things. I'm not easily offended so it's not a big deal to me but I feel like laughter really is the way to make life easier. If a comedian can make you laugh about something that really happened to you, I think that a comedian is doing a lot more to help people than they realize.

Louis CK mentioned this in the Talking Funny show.

#100 Edited by Brodehouse (10079 posts) -

Yeah, I have to say that as a white liberal atheist male, man I would rather my popular representative be Dick Dawkins or someone other than Bill Maher. Maher's funny and I liked Religulous as a flick, but he doesn't appear to understand that when you want to be taken seriously, you need serious arguments. Whenever he's asked for evidence for his arguments, he begins dissembling and making false equivalencies because he's more used to playing to a crowd of idiots than actually proving a fact.

Then again I'm sure there's shit tons of black, conservative Christian women who hate how their celebrity representative makes them look. Which I assume is either the mom from Community or Conservative Oprah.