Where do you stand with the later two Alien films? (discounting Prometheus)

• 83 results
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee

Poll Where do you stand with the later two Alien films? (discounting Prometheus) (125 votes)

I like Alien3, but dislike Alien Resurrection. 34%
I like Alien Resurrection, but dislike Alien3. 11%
I like both Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. 16%
I dislike both Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. 23%
RESULTS! 15%

So given the release of Colonial Marines, talk about the Aliens series in general has sorta opened up again a little. Though because I had already rewatched both Alien and Aliens recently on bluray, I decided to finally give Alien3 a watch while also refreshing my opinion with Resurrection, which I hadn't seen for an awfully long time anywhoo.

Most discussions for the series are usually Alien vs Aliens--which, btw, I'd probably side with Aliens in that regard; the actual alien creature in Alien looks pretty goofy and doesn't hold up exceptionally well--I think it'd be neat to actually talk about the later two films. Of course there's plenty of reasons why everyone looks to the first two rather than the latter, but I'm curious all the same.

I should first note that the version was the 2003 edit, but even still, Alien3 just... Goddamn, that film is so damn messy. The fact that it went through all of these rewrites and all this tampering definitely shows as it's just all over the place. They capture the alien for like 2 minutes, but oh no then it's released again! The majority of the characters are all kinda lame, which is unfortunate because getting us to somehow sympathise with a load of murderers and rapists could have been an incredible achievement. But there's stuff like that weird attempted rape scene, and there's that incredibly disorientating and confusing scene near the end where they're all trying to lure the alien through a specific series of corridors. I actually did like the first... 20 minutes or so, primarily because of Charles Dance's character, the overall aftermath of Ripley coming to terms with the deaths of Hicks and Newt, and the overall slice of tension as you're just waiting for when the inevitable alien birth happens.

However, pretty much as soon as Ripley shaves her hair it just all falls apart. Scenes where people die just so damned awkward, where you're often just seeing a pair of legs dangling at the top of the shot for a short while, and again they do a really poor job in giving a lot of the characters any actual character. The black guy was somewhat OK, and his pep talk nearing the end was well done. I also believe that killing Hicks and Newt from the very start is fucking ballsy, which in itself I couldn't help but admire. Plus Newt's autopsy, even though you don't see much, was incredibly uncomfortable.

Alien 3 is kinda tragic in that you can tell there was a good movie in there somewhere. The whole religion angle and the fact that none of the cast hasn't seen a woman in years surely has some parables there, too. In fact pieces of the story are good, and the way this was looking to take it back to the much slower paced horror film style of the original was a neat gesture, too. Not to mention that introducing the real Bishop was a great cameo at the end there. Effects wise it's hit and miss; the actual practical effects are superb, especially what remains of android Bishop. But then you see the squirrelly alien thing CGI and it all crumbles. Plus, I think they shown the critter far too early, and not to mention the way they shot it made it look more adorable most of the time than intimidating.

I understand that Alien 3 isn't wholly liked anywhoo so I'm preaching to the choir as it is, but yeah, I'm still glad that I've seen it all the same.

Now Resurrection on the other hand, I think is a totally fine action movie. In fact I'd say it's genuinely pretty good, without any irony! Sure, it's pretty much just a lesser Aliens when it comes down to it, but the acting is alright, it's shot really well, it's got some fun characters in there (one of Ron Pearlman's best no doubt), and the new uber-Ripley was kinda cool, even if that stupid ''who do I have to fuck to get off this ship'' line was so baaaaaaaaaad. So sosovery bad. That human/alien hybrid is so damned creepy, too, and the way it just slices off the queen's face off was a totally ''oh, shit!'' moment. Also, the way it gets killed is one of the most horrifyingscenes across the entire franchise. I mean Good Lord, that scream.

Plus I always tend to enjoy these kinds of gory action films that feature a ragtag motley crew, sorta like Deep Fear. Though I should also note that it's been a very long time since I've seen Deep Fear, so while I can at least remember it being really stupid, I'm not entirely sure whether I'd still like it even as a guilty pleasure. Judging by what I can remember currently, however, it's nosa bad!

Back to Resurrection, though... Yeah, just, I can't help it. I still like that movie! Especially thanks to the scenes where the 2 aliens kill the other so as they can use its blood to escape (''fast learners''), or when Ripley is toying with Ron Pearlman with the basketball.

Complaints would be there's a disappointingly little amount of Michael Wincott across the film, and for him to be taken down in such a rote manner -- oh, I heard a strange noise; guess I'll go check it out all on my lonesome!. And for as great as he was in Breaking Bad, Raymond Cruz's dumb soldier guy character was a bit too goofy even for my tastes. Also, kinda of a strange ending. I mean by throwing the ship into Earth like that... that's killing a bloody shitload of people there. Or is the entire place a wasteland anyway? I mean they clearly didn't want the aliens to arrive on Earth, which infers that there's a population there, yet they were still completely OK with having it explode across like what looked like a pretty sizeable chunk of the planet? The guy in the wheelchair was kinda rubbish, too. I'm pretty sure he was only put in there because he's a friend of the director or something, though.

Overall, I think Resurrection is a fun, utterly gross and surprisingly engaging action movie. Alien3 clearly had potential, but unfortunately got muddled across the production.

• 
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

<p>I'm sorry but if you're going to tell me 3 is bad and Resurrection is better I am going to tell you that drugs are bad and you need to get clean. You're ruining your life.</p><p>3 is better then most people give it credit for. 4 is junk.</p>

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but if you're going to tell me 3 is bad and Resurrection is better I am going to tell you that you are my hero and I will name my first born after you!

Well shucks, that's awfully flattering of you!

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

When I was like ten years old I thought Aliens was the coolest movie ever and when I grew up I liked Alien 3 a lot more than any of em. And Prometheus is better than all the other films combined.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damswedon said:

I'd take them both over Aliens. I also prefer Terminator over Judgement Day. There is probably some connection there, other than my taste in films just being fucked, I'm just not sure what the connection is.

You're a hipster?

You're better than this.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I thought they both sucked, but Alien 3 was definitely better than Resurrection, which was so bad it made me blush

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Alien 3 quite a bit. Is it better that the first two? No, but it's also not terrible. It's not even bad! I simply can't wrap my head around why people seem to have SUCH hatred for it. The only conclusion I can come to is that people are just kind of bitter that it wasn't "Aliens 2" if you get what you mean.

Alien Resurrection on the other hand is just a hot pile of garbage. If I were to rank all of the Alien and Predator movies, it would be pretty close to the bottom. Ahead of probably only the second AVP movie.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

I'm sorry but if you're going to tell me 3 is bad and Resurrection is better I am going to tell you that you are my hero and I will name my first born after you!

Well shucks, that's awfully flattering of you!

THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID! I'VE BEEN HOODWINKED!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Yummylee

Christ, people. I genuinely never knew there was such a near-unanimous hatred for Resurrection. I can understand why some wouldn't like it very much, but goddamn... Comparing it or placing it lower than those AvP movies in particular is some nastiness right there. Oh well, the minority I am in be damned, I enjoyed that movie. x)

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By spiceninja

I really like Alien 3. Resurrection has its moments but I don't like it.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Alien 3 is my favorite of the series, and I think Resurrection is fine.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Grixxel

I enjoyed Resurrection as well. It's absolute shit compared to the first two but it's definately watchable. Now people saying Alien 3 is the best out of any of them ... well ... you just have no taste in movies. Sorry.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#63  Edited By musubi

I got drug to promethus and that is the only movie remotely tied to the Alien's universe I've ever seen. Got not a whole lot of interest in watching any of the movies.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Alien 3 is a very good movie, minus some of the decisions story wise that were made. There isnt one good thing to say about Resurrection.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Resurrection just for ultra bad ass crazy clone Ripley.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@demoskinos said:

I got drug to promethus and that is the only movie remotely tied to the Alien's universe I've ever seen. Got not a whole lot of interest in watching any of the movies.

Prometheus blew harder than a crack addict with no money. Don't hold that piece of shit against the Alien series when both Alien and Aliens are masterpieces of their respective genres.

All of those movies are on Netflix and I suggest you watch the first 3. Depending on if you love horror or horror-action will probably determine which of the two you like best, but I'm positive you'll enjoy them all. Even Alien 3. Which is okay, but not great.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@demoskinos said:

Prometheus blew harder than a crack addict with no money. Don't hold that piece of shit against the Alien series when both Alien and Aliens are masterpieces of their respective genres.

All of those movies are on Netflix and I suggest you watch the first 3. Depending on if you love horror or horror-action will probably determine which of the two you like best, but I'm positive you'll enjoy them all. Even Alien 3. Which is okay, but not great.

Haven't had Netflix in ages now as personally it seems entirely useless to me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oldirtybearon said:

@demoskinos said:

Haven't had Netflix in ages now as personally it seems entirely useless to me.

No Caption Provided

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Alien was good. Aliens was fun.

The rest are garbage. Alien 3 is the worst. Esp the camera angles & cinematography but also editing, pacing, story, characters. All fucking terrible.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By penguindust

I dislike Alien Resurrection. I loathe Alien 3. After Aliens was released, Dark Horse Comics released a mini-series titled Aliens Earth War which continued the storyline from Aliens following Newt and Corporal Hicks. Ripley also played a part in that series. It was the perfect direction that I wanted to see the series move towards; bigger better and more dangerous. Then Alien 3 came out and fucked the whole thing up by callously killing off the two characters I'd grown to love from Aliens. If that wasn't enough, Ripley acted out of character for most of the movie and the whole symbolism ending just pissed me off. I hate the movie pure and simple and will never forgive it for destroying the franchise. When Alien Resurrection arrived, I'd already lost hope so while it was ridiculous, I wasn't offended by it. It just left me dissatisfied.

In case anyone is curious, I read that Newt grew up to be an elementary school teacher in California.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i only liked the first one but i really loved it. it was simple and very effective with a great look/tone and good performances. the sequel lost basically everything i liked about the first one and replaced it with some james cameron bullshit. i think its pretty cartoonish and over the top in a 14 year old boy kind of way. i remember the acting being pretty bad.

that said i know a lot of people like it a lot and im in the minority. im not trying to hate or come off snobbish or something.

it seems like the overall fiction kind of fell off after that from what i've seen/heard about prometheus with the engineers and all that.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I think Alien 3 is a fine movie and very underrated. It doesn't quite capture the tension of the first two, but I like the atmosphere and having a lone alien again.

Resurrection, on the other hand, is fanboy bullshit of the worst kind. It feels more like a comedy than anything else. The fact that Joss Whedon simply refuses to own to writing a terrible script makes me hate it even more. What a fucking hack that guy is. Ugh!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ghostiet

Alien 3 isn't really that great, but it has the best (perhaps one of the most iconic) scene in the entire series (the Xenomorph moving straight up to Ripley's face).

Resurrection is total garbage. Prometheus is fine, even if the characters act like complete dumbasses.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Prometheus is great.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@bourbon_warrior said:

I liked Resurrection just for ultra bad ass crazy clone Ripley.

That's my reasoning as well. Ripley being a glorious lead character is my personal touchstone with the entire franchise. It's always the thing that first comes to my mind whenever the Alien universe/ franchise is mentioned.

Alien is a very moody, atmospheric and sometimes frightening film but Ripley's arc elevates it to greatness for me. Aliens is a wonderfully cheesy action movie with a great setting and ensemble cast but badass Ripley makes it truly awesome. That's where Alien 3 sort of falls apart for me. It's so aimless and meandering that it manages to not really be about the characters, the Alien story or Ripley. Just one big mess even in the re-edited version. The initial concept for that hollow planet has the potential for a great SciFi movie, the attempt to go back to the claustrophobic Alien style is good but the movie just didn't come together for me in either version. That being said it's still solid and I'm glad I watched it and own the DVD. Maybe it would even be pretty good as it's own movie without ties to the franchise.

Resurrection went very crazy and trashy with the Alien universe and I have no trouble seeing why many hated it but at least the movie is comfortable with being an Alien movie and doesn't try to use the franchise as a vehicle for some entirely unrelated SciFi ideas like the third one. I like Jeunet's style, I like trashy, gory horror, I like many of the weird characters and I absolutely love disturbingly sexy, badass Ripley. And I feel lucky for getting that much enjoyment out of the fourth installment.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien 3 is, while not a movie I enjoy, at least watchable. Resurrection just makes me feel bad in every possible way.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tourgen said:

The rest are garbage. Alien 3 is the worst. Esp the camera angles & cinematography but also editing, pacing, story, characters. All fucking terrible.

D: MADNESS! I love the cinematography of 3!

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By joshthebear

Alien 3 is actually quite good, and if not for all the bullshit that went on behind the scenes could have turned out amazing. Resurrection on the other hand is steaming hot garbage that should not be watched by anyone.

Also, DAT SCENE:

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should give them a chance. Prometheus is so detached from the Alien movies. Different look and atmosphere.

Man that movie... what could have been. I still like it but yeah...

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alien 3 was fucked over by the studio. I mean, come on, it was directed by David Fincher. Could've been good.

Alien Ressurection was fine, it was just a different kind of movie. More French sci-fi comic books and less American sci-fi slasher movie.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@pr1mus said:
@tourgen said:

It's been a while since I've seen it. I seem to remember the first half of the movie being shot by a gang of midgets. Camera never above belt level. I also remember some sections having really weird edits and pacing. going on too long for no reason or missing an establishing shot that would have really helped the scene.

anyway I just got the bluray collection so I'll probably go back and run thru them all at some point. maybe 3 is better than I remember it.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed 3, but less than the previous two. I really didn't like Resurrection, though.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Neither of them were very good, in my opinion. I mean, in respect to the Alien franchise they are very bland movies. As sci-fi movies they're okay, but as schlocky/shitty horror movies they're fun popcorn flicks. Oh, and I'm going to bring up Prometheus because I've only just recently seen it. Holy shit that can't be included in the same breath as those four Alien movies. That's a whole 'nother level of shitty dialogue, stupid shoehorning, and everything else that makes movie re-boots/prequels really bad.

And I have absolutely no nostalgia for these movies - I think the first one I saw was actually Resurrection only a few years back. Then Alien, then 3, and finally Aliens. It doesn't take nostalgia to realize where the good movies are in that bunch :D

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By pr1mus
@tourgen said:

@pr1mus said:
@tourgen said:

It's been a while since I've seen it. I seem to remember the first half of the movie being shot by a gang of midgets. Camera never above belt level. I also remember some sections having really weird edits and pacing. going on too long for no reason or missing an establishing shot that would have really helped the scene.

It definitely has that so you're remembering this right. It's one of the things i like, makes everything look bigger and more impressive. It creates some great wide angle.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided