Where is the social?

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ekasra

I know that many who will read this will not be entirely familar with my gaming background over the past year or so. About a month or two ago, I quit World of Warcraft, which had been the only gaming experience I was having for the past three years. Needless to say, it's a very social game, and the leaving all of my friends and guildmates was a tough decision in the end. 

However this isn't a thread about my gaming history and another topic about me leaving WoW. I pose this question to you: What communities, other than Giantbomb, are effective ways of meeting other gamers who share a similar passion for gaming. Although I have plenty of friends that I see in the "real life", we don't really have similar interests, especially when it comes to gaming. My girlfriend is the same way, though she likes to rock out in Rock Band on easy vocals from time to time. Since WoW, I've been pretty introverted while gaming, especially on Xbox Live because most I encounter aren't the brightest lightbulbs in the box. Anyway, I'm sure you guys can come up with some answers.
Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ekasra

I know that many who will read this will not be entirely familar with my gaming background over the past year or so. About a month or two ago, I quit World of Warcraft, which had been the only gaming experience I was having for the past three years. Needless to say, it's a very social game, and the leaving all of my friends and guildmates was a tough decision in the end. 

However this isn't a thread about my gaming history and another topic about me leaving WoW. I pose this question to you: What communities, other than Giantbomb, are effective ways of meeting other gamers who share a similar passion for gaming. Although I have plenty of friends that I see in the "real life", we don't really have similar interests, especially when it comes to gaming. My girlfriend is the same way, though she likes to rock out in Rock Band on easy vocals from time to time. Since WoW, I've been pretty introverted while gaming, especially on Xbox Live because most I encounter aren't the brightest lightbulbs in the box. Anyway, I'm sure you guys can come up with some answers.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine
@Ekasra: Back during the days of Halo 2 I used to meet a lot of people in games and end up becoming weird sort of gaming friends with them. My cousin and I that live in different states had all of these friends that we met online that we used to play Halo 2 with and it was a lot of fun but since the 360 came out I guess I just lost interest in that sort of thing. I'm sure it is just as easy if not more easy to meet people through Xbox Live now but I recently just prefer playing single player games on my 360. Also there are a lot of clans on Xbox Live. You could join a clan and play competitively.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Games I've built a community on are usually made by Blizzard. Not just World of Warcraft, but Warcraft 3, Diablo II, and Starcraft. But realistically, a lot of the friends I have now blossomed from a friend I met when playing WoW. Just because you stopped playing WoW doesn't mean you have to cut ties with old friends. Ask them if they have other games they play then eventually you'll meet their friends, and so on.

Hopefully my post wasn't a mish-mash, because I'm about to get off and just wanted to type this up really quickly.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ahriman22
@Ekasra: It's not hard to find at least semi-normal people of ecksbawks live, although yes, the majority are twats. Just look around and you'll find people, I've met 3-4 people that I play with regularly through L4D.