• 56 results
Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cubidog1

I'm an 18 year old guy living in Florida. I'm going to ask this girl out on a date, but I need to know what are some good first date destinations and activities? Maybe we see a movie then go to a restaurant like Chile's? I don't know. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Movies are a bad idea since you can't talk during them, unless it's a weird cult movie thing like Rocky Horror or The Room.

Bowling is my favourite thing to do on a first date.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

First dates are a good one for public places like museums, parks or *zoos. There are distractions to mitigate awkwardness and a nice, non-threatening atmosphere. They also demonstrate that you are actually interested in doing interesting things with this person that are a little less selfish than the typical eating, watching movies and getting laid.

*Make sure it's not a skeezy zoo. Nothing'll wreck a first date faster than witnessing a bunch of mistreated animals moping about.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
No Caption Provided

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always bring my first dates to visit my mom in prison.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By InternetDotCom

Where to go: death races

What to do: death races

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cubidog1

@corevi:

Yea I've heard movies are a bad idea. Going bowling could be fun. The local bowling place(is there a name for those?) isn't too far from where either of us live. Maybe that's a possibility. Is bowling easy to learn? How long should a date there be?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog1: You roll a ball down a lane and then the computer tells you how many points you got. It's an extremely complicated game.

Just do one full game and then if you both want to do another then do another. Go with the flow.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@corevi said:

Movies are a bad idea since you can't talk during them, unless it's a weird cult movie thing like Rocky Horror or The Room.

I don't think movies are a bad idea at all, at least not in my experience. It gives you a chance to be in each other's company without having to make smalltalk, and if you go for a drink or get something to eat afterwards you're guaranteed to have something to talk about.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal:

I like the idea of going to a zoo since I haven't been to one in a couple of years. However, the closest zoo is close to an hour away. Considering I can't drive, she would have to do drive us there and that feels weird to me. I don't know. If we do it and don't connect, then there's that long ride back. If she does drive us, then we have another problem because her house is a bit closer to the zoo than my house. I don't think she would want to drive me all the way to my house and then go back to her house. Got some advice for this situation?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Belegorm

I also second the bowling suggestion. I might also suggest however, that you do a test run before inviting her to the bowling alley: most people seem to at least do okay on their first time bowling, but even after a number of times I still always seem to hit gutter balls almost half of the time.

Along the same theme, a roller skating rink would probably be a decent date spot.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

First date is talking time. It's when you get to know each other and find out if you like each other as people.

A restaurant only is fine, or go out for coffee or something like that. Nothing spectacular. You just want to get to know each other.

Going to a park, museum, or fair is fine too if you want to do more than just eat out. It just should be stuff where you can talk, too.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi:

Cool, I'll definitely considering bowling. I would play pool because I play that all the time at my college during down time, but she doesn't seem very interested in pool. I asked her once if she wanted to play, but she said she was horrible and just let my friend and I play. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I had never even considered bowling!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dammit, I was gonna post that dating advice picture.

Anyway, (and I'm sorry if this isn't helpful) but I think you'd probably know best. I'd imagine you know what's in the area and know this girl more than anyone here so remember to go with your gut. Where and what isn't as important as who (as in, getting to know them), especially in the early stages. But eh, this is coming from somebody who doesn't actively date though, so keep that in mind- I was mostly just here for the dating advice picture.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cubidog1

@toowalrus: Yea I walked around with a girl at the mall once, but she decided to not make it a date by inviting four of her friends and not telling me about it. But that does seem like it could be fun. I just worry about running out of things to talk about. I get nervous about that kind of stuff. On the coffee subject, I've never had coffee that I liked. Maybe I'm just not a coffee guy, but every time I have some it tastes horrible and I need something else to mask the flavor. Plus its expensive, so I don't really mind not liking coffee. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, good job on your current relationship. I hope I will be in your position soon.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

I also second the bowling suggestion. I might also suggest however, that you do a test run before inviting her to the bowling alley: most people seem to at least do okay on their first time bowling, but even after a number of times I still always seem to hit gutter balls almost half of the time.

Along the same theme, a roller skating rink would probably be a decent date spot.

Thank you for suggesting the practice run. I just might do that if I have time.

Going to a skating rink seems like a good idea to me, but that's because I used to go there all the time back in middle school. I would be a lot better at roller blading than at bowling. But now going skating is considered lame if you're not a young teen, so that kind of sucks. I should just ignore those comments, but she might think like that as well. Skating also burns calories, so maybe it is a good idea. Thanks for the tips.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@cubidog1: I should say to you if you go to do something with her and try to show off that may not go over to well. What I mean is, it may be more fun if you don't know how to bowl and she does and you ask her to teach you. Or you both don't know how to bowl and you make a game out of that.

It's just something to consider as well. Sometimes the things we are bad at/new at can be a source of enjoyment in and of itself. You know what I mean?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underground illegal thai boxing ring

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your house.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solh0und

Laaaaaaazer tag, dawg.

In seriousness though: you should probably see what kind of things she likes and dislikes before you come up with a date idea. If she's a movie hater: don't do movies.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By MezZa

If you're feeling adventurous, go do something you and her have never done before. You'll have plenty to talk about because you're learning, and you'll both likely suck at it which will make it memorable. If you want something a bit safer then go for dinner and if you want something more to that then go somewhere that you can take her on a walk before or after you eat. It's easy, relaxed, and you can talk about yourselves.

Avoid movies if that is the only thing you plan to do. You'll get nothing accomplished except watching a movie which you can do alone. Plus, not every girl takes well to cuddling on the first date. Especially if you don't know her well already. Some may just want to hold hands during a movie, and some may want the full cuddle seat share experience. Having to figure out whats best on the first date in that situation is awful. If you choose wrong you either disappoint or come on too strong. Save that for later dates when you're more comfortable with each other.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go for a walk in a museum/art gallery/botanical garden or something. Plenty of chances to talk and get to know each other, and cool things to look at to avoid awkwardness.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You could go to see that lake where those teenagers were killed years ago.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A cock fight. Bet on Little Jerry to impress her.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest a cooking class.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ford_Dent

Find an OTB and bet on some horse races! Everyone likes horses, right?

More seriously (although come on, throw down some money on dem ponies), I would add the suggestion of a movie and dinner or drinks afterwards. I would particularly recommend a shitty movie, because shitty movies are the glue that holds together society and gives you something to laugh about.

If she's not into movies, I dunno, just grab some food and go have a wander around a park or something.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mcfart

@71ranchero said:

lol

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First dates are a good one for public places like museums, parks or *zoos. There are distractions to mitigate awkwardness and a nice, non-threatening atmosphere. They also demonstrate that you are actually interested in doing interesting things with this person that are a little less selfish than the typical eating, watching movies and getting laid.

*Make sure it's not a skeezy zoo. Nothing'll wreck a first date faster than witnessing a bunch of mistreated animals moping about.

This. I love going to museums, parks, and zoos. You easily avoid a lot of first date stuff when you're constantly bombarded with things to see and do. You're constantly interacting, rather than passively doing stuff together.

Since you're young, you can do a little research and see if/when the museums/zoos have free days. They get packed as hell on free days, but around Chicago unless you have a pass (Which I highly recommend.) you're looking at $20-40 per person. A date to the shed aquarium with all the add ons cost me close to a hundred bucks. Ouch.

Whereas 3-4 hours at the Art Institute on a Thursday free night cost nothing, and afterward, we walked Michigan Ave. We bought churros from a cart and got some coffee from Intelligensia. A $15 date that 3 years later, still gets brought up.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UpperDecker

Depends, are you trying to impress her father so you can marry to acquire land? If so I recommend you take her into the woods, cover yourselves in mud and hunt a full size Kodiak bear. Once you find one, look at her and hand her your gun and say, "I got this." Run at the bear beating your chest. For a first attack, i recommend a missile drop kick, knock the bear down, and get it in some kind of scorpion death lock. Get the bear to either tap out, or break it in half. Skin the bear, bring the pelt to her father along with teeth and claws fashioned into a necklace. he will see you as a man who can take care of his daughter and he should wed you into the family immediately.

Hope this helps!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stryker1121

Since it's FLA i'd say the dog track. Kidding! How about a nice cup of coffee or a smoothie place?

Make dinner a second or third date if it gets that far. You'll be used to each other enough where it won't be gross when you're spitting food trying to have a conversation.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

GiantBomb community, you are letting me down.

Touch her shoulder.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Someone should write up all of Dan's dating advice/techniques from the podcast. They would be perfect for occasions like these.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog1: I should say to you if you go to do something with her and try to show off that may not go over to well. What I mean is, it may be more fun if you don't know how to bowl and she does and you ask her to teach you. Or you both don't know how to bowl and you make a game out of that.

It's just something to consider as well. Sometimes the things we are bad at/new at can be a source of enjoyment in and of itself. You know what I mean?

I know what you mean. Hopefully we are both bad if I do decide to go bowling with her. And that's assuming she says yes, which I have no idea if she will.

@solh0und said:

Laaaaaaazer tag, dawg.

In seriousness though: you should probably see what kind of things she likes and dislikes before you come up with a date idea. If she's a movie hater: don't do movies.

I don't have much time left to talk to her since I only see her at college and we only have an exam day left, then we have a month long holiday break. I would love to know what she likes/dislikes, but we haven't talked much and we don't have much of a chance to talk now. I could get her number and text her, but I want to ask her out in person. I might have screwed myself, but if I don't ask her out on our last day, I may never see her again. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DeadpanCakes
@cubidog1 said:

I don't have much time left to talk to her since I only see her at college and we only have an exam day left, then we have a month long holiday break. I would love to know what she likes/dislikes, but we haven't talked much and we don't have much of a chance to talk now. I could get her number and text her, but I want to ask her out in person. I might have screwed myself, but if I don't ask her out on our last day, I may never see her again. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

You could also, like, ask her in person if she wants to hang out sometime during the holiday break (or after) and ask for her number to establish a tentative plan, and get to know her a bit before making any firm plans. Again, depends on the person though, some people might not be as open to that, but like, there's not really any strict rules for hanging out with people, y'know?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#37 MattyFTM  Moderator

I recently went on a first date to a movie, and it was perfectly fine. It gives you a chance to be in each others company without having to think of things to talk about, and then afterwards you can get something to eat and talk then. I really don't understand the whole "movies are terrible first dates" thing. As long as you plan to do something after the movie that gives you chance to talk and get to know each other, there's no problem.

Also, Hoodslam.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could also, like, ask her in person if she wants to hang out sometime during the holiday break (or after) and ask for her number to establish a tentative plan, and get to know her a bit before making any firm plans. Again, depends on the person though, some people might not be as open to that, but like, there's not really any strict rules for hanging out with people, y'know?

Yea I could ask her that. I'm just worried that she might say no and just wants to stay friends. If she says that, then our friendship is will be kind of awkward after that point. Some of friendships are already like that, I don't want to add to the list.

@mattyftm said:

I recently went on a first date to a movie, and it was perfectly fine. It gives you a chance to be in each others company without having to think of things to talk about, and then afterwards you can get something to eat and talk then. I really don't understand the whole "movies are terrible first dates" thing. As long as you plan to do something after the movie that gives you chance to talk and get to know each other, there's no problem.

Also, Hoodslam.

Yea a movie and dinner seems like an okay date idea to me, but many people seem to disagree on that. I don't know what to do! I have no idea if she likes movies, but who doesn't? If she doesn't I might have to reconsider going out with her.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No matter what you choose, always remember: popularity leads to intimacy

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Hunter5024

Get wasted and take her to church.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A zoo? Coffee? Really anything that lets you guys talk.

Eh, fuck it. Order a pizza and wings and watch Predator at your place. If she can't appreciate a romantic night like that, it's probably not going anywhere.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since it's FLA i'd say the dog track. Kidding! How about a nice cup of coffee or a smoothie place?

Make dinner a second or third date if it gets that far. You'll be used to each other enough where it won't be gross when you're spitting food trying to have a conversation.

I don't really like coffee, so that probably isn't happening. We don't really have smoothie places in my town. The only ones are at the mall, which could work I guess.

@zelyre said:

@sinusoidal said:

This. I love going to museums, parks, and zoos. You easily avoid a lot of first date stuff when you're constantly bombarded with things to see and do. You're constantly interacting, rather than passively doing stuff together.

Since you're young, you can do a little research and see if/when the museums/zoos have free days. They get packed as hell on free days, but around Chicago unless you have a pass (Which I highly recommend.) you're looking at $20-40 per person. A date to the shed aquarium with all the add ons cost me close to a hundred bucks. Ouch.

Whereas 3-4 hours at the Art Institute on a Thursday free night cost nothing, and afterward, we walked Michigan Ave. We bought churros from a cart and got some coffee from Intelligensia. A $15 date that 3 years later, still gets brought up.

The girl I want to go out with doesn't like museums and there aren't really parks where we live. Our area isn't really pedestrian friendly in general. We don't have sidewalks on a lot of our roads. The ones that do are on main streets with lots of cars going by, so its kind of dangerous and not romantic. We don't have foodcarts since we don't live in a city. So walking around sucks in my area. Thanks or trying to help though.

Avatar image for wakkaflakkachimmichonga
wakkaflakkachimmichonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

strip club.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's going to be a movie I prefer spending time at a cafe/restaurant first and then going to the movie.

You could go to see that lake where those teenagers were killed years ago.

These are also acceptable.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a smooth segue, bot.

KrayzeeGloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well? How'd the date go?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss these kinds of threads and the old forums for that matter

RIP <3

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it really depends on the girl.

Gf and I went in a pub for some beers on our first date.

9 years later we're still going out for beers :D