#1 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

I know there are so many forums out there with the exact same question, but none of them have answered the question for me.

As someone who has never learned anything about programming, I'm just wondering where to start. I've seen people saying you should learn programming logic and such before learning an actual language, but I just have no idea what they're talking about. Can I just start with Visual Basic or something similar without any prior knowledge in programming? And how long would it take to move onto something more advanced like C++?

I'd like to have some kind of knowledge of C++ level programming in the next couple of years and eventually aim to use it for game development (I plan to take a course in game programming in 2 years), but when I start to look at these Visual Basic tutorials such as this one: (http://howtostartprogramming.com/vb-net/) they just seem to go nowhere. Can anyone just point me in the right direction here?

#2 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

I'd recommend maybe starting with this Python course. It'll teach you some basics, and from there you can try to move on to something like C, C++, C#, or Java.

Moderator Online
#3 Edited by doobish (148 posts) -

@chaser324: So can I just start this kind of thing without learning all those programming theory and logic books and stuff?

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

@doobish: I've personally never been a fan of teaching programming logic outside of the context of actual code. I think it's best to learn that stuff as you learn a programming language.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by doobish (148 posts) -

@chaser324: Alright, this website looks like a really nice way to learn for me. Thanks duder.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

I'll just add that Python is probably the easiest of all of the programming languages I've learned/been exposed to.

#9 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Learning the "logic" before the actual coding makes sense, but like Chaser324, I would recommend you just dive into a language and go from there. What they mean about learning the "logic" is when you start programming, you'll find that you need to think in a certain special way to solve problems. Many things that you solve intuitively in your head do not translate so easily when you need to "put it down on paper" or on code.

If you know you want to learn C++, just start learning C++. No reason for you to learn VisualBasic or even Python. Python is popular because it removes a lot of the complicated programming syntax and structure, but I think if you are keen to learn C++, then just dive right in. I'd recommend finding a site that has a "structure" for learning C++, a step-by-step sort of thing that teaches you each part of C++ and then going into what you can do with it.

From my personal experience studying Computer Science at uni, I went from 0 knowledge of programming to a fairly competent level after 1.5 years and then started to make some neat practical software.

Good luck, programming is a fun endeavour and you'll get to that point in every programmer's life where you feel like a total badass when you make something.

#10 Posted by Xeiphyer (5594 posts) -

I'll second Python, very easy and readable language to start with. Most of the programming concepts you learn translate directly over to almost any other programming language.

As for trying to learn the logic part of programming before learning to program... that seems extremely crazy to me. It's so much easier to learn when you can practice and see everything right in front of you. Plus programming is such that you can start small and build upon your knowledge as you go.

#11 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I'm just gonna agree with everyone here and also say that you shouldn't bother with other languages for now. Just stick with Python and C++ until you understand the basics. You might want to read on the theory stuff only when you're comfortable with writing small programs in those languages, so don't worry about that yet. Good luck dude.

#12 Edited by doobish (148 posts) -

Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks a tone guys.