• 154 results
#1 Edited by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

As some of you may know, Wrighteous86 came to visit me in the UK in February and now I'm planning on visiting him in Chicago this summer. I'll be there for 6 weeks hopefully, still waiting on work to get back to me about it, and for one week we're planning on visiting somewhere else in the states. Where are some of the best places that you guys have been, that you would recommend? 

EDIT: Somewhere that has amazing wildlife attractions would be great.
#2 Edited by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -
Easy. New York City!
Home of the Beastie Boys and the Ghostbusters.
#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4860 posts) -

Chicago? Go see CM Punk.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14731 posts) -

pacific northwest is pretty dope... can't go wrong with Seattle or Portland

#5 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Montana

#6 Posted by Jayzilla (2574 posts) -

san diego. not even a question. close to LA if that's your thing. 1 and a half hours to disney land. go snowboarding and surfing in the same day in winter. a two hour drive and you can be way past tijuana into mexico eating lobster at a restaurant for crazy cheap on the beach with cheap drinks. fly to vegas for two nights on the cheap too. easy decision.

#7 Posted by Seraphim (104 posts) -

NYC is super sweet; parts of California are very nice, I'm partial to Boston . . . it really depends on your temperament; the stereotypes are more or less true in terms of the general milieu of each locale.

#8 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I am partial to Portland, I also do love NYC as well, those are probably my two favorite places in America currently. Just depends on what you're looking for.

#9 Posted by SockemJetpack (412 posts) -

Anywhere you can get a box of Cookie Crisp. I spent my childhood here in Canada watching those commercials and being told that they are "Only in the States". In my child mind "The States" was a magical place where cookies could be breakfast cereal and for some reason Smarties were different.

#10 Posted by TooSweet (400 posts) -

I'd pick New York, but Jayzilla makes some nice points for San Diego. I've only been for the San Diego Comic Con but I like the weather there.

#11 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Suburban BOSTON Dood.

#12 Posted by BigChickenDinner (761 posts) -

I'm from Seattle I've driven the west coast many times to the Salty D. But its nasty up in the D and in LA. Drive to Seattle, visit volcanoes.

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Nowhere, because America is fucking gross.

#14 Posted by azrailx (457 posts) -

California

it has almost everything: great outdoors (snow, ocean, redwood forests, etc.), and great cities

#15 Posted by Animasta (14731 posts) -

@Napalm said:

portland is the exact opposite of gross

#16 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@Napalm said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#17 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

I heard the air is kinda shitty in LA...  New York would probably be great but I wouldnt know because Ive never been there

#18 Posted by Stonyman65 (2879 posts) -

NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia, California, Disney World....

#19 Edited by NegativeCero (3041 posts) -

NYC. And the weather is getting nicer, so that helps.

#20 Posted by EuanDewar (5107 posts) -
#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Napalm said:

portland is the exact opposite of gross

That's good to hear. The southeast is fucking grimy as shit. Fuck this place. Fuck!
#22 Posted by Nasar7 (2813 posts) -

Everyone can prattle off American cities all day long. The question is what sort of experience are you guys looking for? Big city, beach, southern charm, museums, nightlife?

#23 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@Jayzilla: There was somewhere I'd seen years ago that I thought looked nice, but couldn't remember what it was called, thank you for reminding of San Diego, it will definitely be up there on our list. 

@Animasta: I've heard of Portland, but I don't really know what's there.   

I'm not a massive fan of places like theme parks, but that might be to do with going to crappy ones on school trips. 
#24 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@Nasar7: We were thinking of New York, but Wrighteous86 thought that it might be too similar to Chicago, just another big city. I'd like somewhere that had a nice beach, lots of variety, nice food, somewhere with charm maybe and we're not too fussed on nightlife like clubs or anything like that.
#25 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

Austin TX and stay the fuck out of FL. Trust me, this place isn't great.

#26 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

Denver. We're a very, very clean city. There's the Rocky mountains right next door where you can ski, snowboard, camp, hike, etc. There are some good restaraunts here, too. Pinche tacos (tacos), City Grille (hamburgers), Tommy's Thai (thai food), and a few other local places that are totally worth the time and money. We're not an amazing city but there's still some good outdoorsy things to do here, and honestly, this is the best place to go if you're into the mountains and such. Otherwise, I'd say New York City. Everywhere else is just nasty and without any worthwhile land marks. You could go to Orlando, too, and visit Disney World if you wanted. That's an amazing, must-see place at least once in your life.

#27 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@Seedofpower: Wrighteous86 mentioned Austin TX last night, I was surprised because when I hear Texas I don't think of great things. My sister has lived in Florida my whole life and I've never visited, if they lived somewhere else I might have.
#28 Posted by lmenzol (270 posts) -

@DuskVamp: it depends if your looking for urban or natural scenery

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Orlando, Florida, because going to Wet 'n Wild, Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure for the first time is incredible. 

I thought New York was overrated, it's a big dirty city and I found it lacking. Having said that, Central Park on a bike for a few hours is fantastic. 

#30 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

#31 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

Wausau, Wisconsin. Birthplace of me.

But seriously, don't go there. It is boring as hell, hence why I'm living in Chicago.

If you're in Chicago though, be sure to check out all the great museums and lake-front attractions. Hit up Giordanos for the best pizza in the world. Also, Wicker Park if you're into other good food, hipsters, and a lot of good live music.

#32 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

Just go visit Canada. Trust me, you will like it here more.

#33 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

@DuskVamp

Food, you probably aren't going to find more restaurants than NYC. Got Broadway, tourist attractions, museums, parks, etc. I am from New York, and this is the only place I can see myself living as a twenty something.

Beachy i'd say California; San Diego or San Fran.

Florida is fine, but I wouldn't stay there long; I lived in Orlando for a bit for school and didn't really enjoy it. However I plan to visit with my lady to do theme parks and junk.

Austin has good music and good bbq. It's the only part of Texas that is civilized. My Ex was from Austin and compared it to Portland or Brooklyn in Nature.

Colorado is another option. That's where I plan to retire, however that could be cause I am partial to the Colorado Avalanche (NHL Team). I visited when I was a kid (about 15 years ago) and everyone was super friendly and it was a pleasant place.

#34 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3091 posts) -

Portland and Seattle.

#35 Posted by jakkblades (401 posts) -

The Southwest, New Mexico. They don't make country like that anywhere else in the world.

#36 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@lmenzol said:

@DuskVamp: it depends if your looking for urban or natural scenery

I don't mind urban, but I don't love huge bustling crowds of people, I think Chicago would cover that. So maybe somewhere that actually has life, not something in the middle of nowhere, but that isn't hectic and also has some nice scenery near by.
#37 Posted by gamefreak9 (2420 posts) -

Stay away from L.A I was very disappointed, and vegas looks much better in movies. Florida is cool... nice nature trails/weather!

#38 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@Nasar7 said:

southern charm

No such thing.

#39 Edited by StrainedEyes (1335 posts) -

If you could only go one place, it has to be New York. It's an incredible city.

Other places like Seattle and Portland are nice and all, but c'mon.

#40 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@StrainedEyes: New York is on our list, but Wrighteous86 thinks that it might be too similar to Chicago? 
#42 Posted by StrainedEyes (1335 posts) -

@DuskVamp: All cities have their similarities, but all cities have their unique qualities too. I haven't been anywhere that has the energy and feel that NYC has. Plus, fuck Chicago style pizza, New York slices are where it's at.

#43 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

Not to be a dick, but does anyone not FROM Canada really think it's a better tourist location than everywhere in America?

#44 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

@RenMcKormack said:

Suburban BOSTON Dood.

FAHKIN A KEHD! COULDN'T AGREE MOWAH!!!

#45 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1184 posts) -

Eh, just drive up to the Wisconsin Dells when you get bored of Chicago. It's close by, it's cheap, and hey: mini-golf!

In all seriousness, after coming all this way to Chicago, are you really going to want to do so much more traveling? Maybe it's my absolute hatred of air travel, but that seems a bit unnecessary to me. There's more than enough to do in Chicago to fill six weeks. That said, I've had a blast in both Austin and Seattle in the past, so you can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Or Las Vegas, if you have any interest in gambling it's mandatory that you go to Vegas at least once.

@StrainedEyes said:

Plus, fuck Chicago style pizza, New York slices are where it's at.

Nuh uh!

#46 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Seattle. Awesome city.

#47 Posted by Hichael (172 posts) -

Las Vegas :)

#49 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

San Francisco. Seriously.

#50 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3823 posts) -

That... doesn't argue against my point.

Oh, you're playing semantics to be obnoxious... because clearly she was referring to the US seeing as that's the country Chicago is in and she'd probably want to travel within the country instead of making an international trip within another international trip.

Might as well go to that good old city of Rio de Janeiro, since we'll be in America.