• 53 results
#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I've disfigured my innocent face for the last time. Threw the razor in the trash and now I'm looking at electric shavers.
Currently I'm looking at the Phillips TT Bodygroom catalogue, but they seem too expensive and I'm wondering what fellow duders use, what you HONESTLY think of what you own, whether you recommend it and why

TT2021                                                                           TT2030                                                                                           TT2040  (also known as) BG2040

Like I said, they look hot and I can afford one, but I'm not that hairy or delicate so I could go for something of lower tier. 

#2 Posted by MB (12430 posts) -

I use disposable Mach 3's on a daily basis, a straight razor when I need a really close shave for a special occasion, and scissors.

I think electric trimmers are for wimps and I have never owned one. No offense.

#3 Posted by Brians (1464 posts) -

Disposable razors over here.

#4 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@MB said:

I use disposable Mach 3's on a daily basis, a straight razor when I need a really close shave for a special occasion, and scissors.

Well, razors aren't exactly the best way to maintain a thick beard. But I think that you're referring to people who shave with electric razors.

Anyway, if I ever feel inclined to reboot my beard I just use disposable razors after trimming it down, never really have cut myself shaving (at least seriously), then again I don't shave that often.

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

whatever reaches best down there is what you should go with

#6 Posted by Addfwyn (1927 posts) -

I use a straight razor, I never found anything I get a closer shave from. Learning to use one is...a mildly painful process, but it's worth it in the long run. Plus a shave with one just feels so much nicer than anything you will get otherwise.

One of my housemates uses the TT2030 and says he generally likes it, but he also hardly grows any facial hair. If he goes 4 days without shaving he looks like me after half a day without shaving. So that may not give the best feedback for you, depending on how quickly your hair grows out. Since you said you aren't that hairy, it shouldn't be too bad?

#7 Posted by dudeglove (7866 posts) -

The third one looks like a webcam mic or something.

#8 Posted by YoThatLimp (1910 posts) -

@MB said:

The fact you can shave with a razor defines you as a wimp sir.

Guys, go grab some women's disposable razors and an electric beard trimmer from the local CVS/Pharmacy. The Razor's are far better and normally are cheaper because they don't have the word Mach in them.

Love,

Man with a nice beard.

#9 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

dog trimmers.

#10 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4757 posts) -

Why would you maim your glorious face hair!?

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Addfwyn said:

I use a straight razor, I never found anything I get a closer shave from. Learning to use one is...a mildly painful process, but it's worth it in the long run. Plus a shave with one just feels so much nicer than anything you will get otherwise.

I've been shaving with the Gillette Fusion for the past year and the MACH 3 Turbo for the 6 years prior to that. Nothing but a sore face, the occasional tiny shaving pimple, and a face that generally looks like crap. And by that I mean my face looks like that of my father, it looks old, not what a 21 year old face should look like. 
Whereas most of my peers where I come from have a smoother look with not shaved by highly trimmed beards that look like tiny sprinkled hair on their cheeks. And most of these young men use electric shavers. It's just that seeking help from the internet is usually more thorough and useful than asking dudebros. 

Just came home from a long shopping day, picked up the Remington BHT2000, I'm currently shaved so my cousin tried it to trim his beard and it works like charm. 

Not to mention that body shaving with a razor is just wrong. Which is why this is twice as useful.
#13 Posted by SomeJerk (3252 posts) -

I used Mach 3 until one day I hit a tiny little bump and a thumbnail sized set of several skin layers left my head.

I use a 24/7 poked rabid badger now, because it's SAFER >:(

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

None, because I've given up a long time go. (DO NOT ASK WHY UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE IT.)

#15 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

None, because I've given up a long time go. (DO NOT ASK WHY UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE IT.)

Now I'm curious but unsure if able to handle it. How long is your beard? ELABORATE.

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I use a razor, that electric shit sucks. It's not a close enough shave for my tastes.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
Because I'm hardcore (strap it on).
#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Dollar store razors. I have tried the expensive ones with a bazllion blades and found no difference in the quality of the shave.

#19 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Because I'm hardcore (strap it on).

Beat me to it, ya jerk!

Anywho, I use cheapo dollar store triple blades. They come in 5 packs and made in the usa

#20 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Scissors. From any craft store

#21 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4757 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Because we wants to look like an adult.

That's illogical.

#22 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Dollar store razors. I have tried the expensive ones with a bazllion blades and found no difference in the quality of the shave.

You're a madman. I've never survived an encounter with a dollar store razor and come away unscathed.

#23 Posted by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

I wear a full beard and it gets most of its attention from the local barber. I use a Gilette Mach 3 to do some touchups on the neckline and stuff, but every few weeks I go to the barber for a trim. $7 and 10 minutes later, and the beard is good to go.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

@crusader8463 said:

You're a madman. I've never survived an encounter with a dollar store razor and come away unscathed.

No idea. They are amazing. My dollar store must have better cheap ones then yours.

#25 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -

Odd coincidence seeing this thread I bought the bg2040 yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Tho it was only 1 use thought it did a nice job

#26 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

Let's cut the crap and say what we mean:

"Body groomer" = pubic hair trimmer

#27 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@punisherkaos said:
Odd coincidence seeing this thread I bought the bg2040 yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Tho it was only 1 use thought it did a nice job
Nice! Do you feel the groom head is powerful enough? The one of the shaver i bought (the remington) feels rather weak. 

@will_leisure said:

Pretty much, but you gotta be a little tactful especially in a thread title.
#28 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic Yea the groom head seemed plenty powerful enough so far I'm not regretting the purcase at all. I got it for like 40 bucks at my local wal greens.
#29 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@will_leisure said:

Pretty much, but you gotta be a little tactful especially in a thread title.

True. "Body groomer" got a laugh from me, though.

#30 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I bought a cheap one £30 a couple of years ago, no complaints.

#31 Posted by Ketchupp (673 posts) -

Teeth and fury.

#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Real men don't use them!

proof
#33 Posted by 9999dmg (132 posts) -

I never really shave my beard down all the way, so I usually use a Philips Norelco Qt4070, which has a hair vacuum and is awesome.

If I were to start shaving I would sign up for http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ Which seems like a good deal if you need to shave a lot.

#34 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Found a deal on some Wahl clippers for $20 and I've just always used this. Holds a charge for a long time and it's reliable. Trims relatively close, but I'm never going to use an electric anything for shaving. If I shave I use a Mach3. For keeping my beard just short enough that it's still soft to the touch and keeping the line well defined it's perfect.

#35 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Merkur 38c

#36 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@MB said:

Do you also use those machs to shave your legs, my lady?

#37 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

@will_leisure: You are overlooking it's use in the arena of ass hair.

#38 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

@WalkerTR77 said:

@will_leisure: You are overlooking it's use in the arena of ass hair.

I purposely avoid that arena. It tends to be a swamp full of sweat down there without ass hair to ventilate.

#39 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

The third one looks like a webcam mic or something.

It's a dual webcam mic / bodygroomer. Ryan has one, that's why there's always a soft rustling in the background of his videos.

#40 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

What do I use? Nothing! :P

Seriously, though, I only shave twice a month at most. Right now I can't even remember the last time I shaved, which is unfortunate because right now I'm rocking a pretty gnarly neckbeard. If my facial hair would come in more thickly, both on my cheeks but also just in general, I would grow an enormous beard. I'm hoping that age will somehow bestow me with the ability to grow a badass beard. As it is, I was telling my wife the other day that my face looks like it's covered in a bunch of pubic hair (which, when you think about it, it is).

#41 Posted by marty_k (17 posts) -

Remington MB-320C. Quite good for five o'clock look and you can go longer if you want to. Also have a high-precision end if you're into playing with your soul patch and stuff. Plus, I use it to shave my head :-) It was about £25 and I'd buy it again.

#42 Posted by Stonyman65 (2711 posts) -

I used some cheap Norelco electric beard trimmer I got in Walgreens for like $20. Came with 4 different heads and a nose hair trimmer. Had it for 5 years now and it hasn't let me down since, http://www.usa.philips.com/c/mens-grooming/multigroom-g370_60/prd/en/

I can't use a regular razor. My facial hair is so thick and coarse that it clogs the razor and dulls the blade so fast that I can only use it for one shave, so thats why I use the trimmer just to bring it down to stubble.

And regular electric razors don't work either. Until I get a straight razor and learn how to use it without cutting my own throat, I'll have to stick with the trimmer.

#43 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

i just run a hair clipper over my face once a week.  It's not a beard trimmer specific clipper.  Regular full sized clipper.  Have not shaved with a razor or shaver in ages and ages. 

#44 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I wish I could find a worth beard groomer that actually trimmed my coarse/nappy facial hair. When I use a guard to trim a little off, nothing happens, so I have to keep my beard short. Whatever you do, don't purchase the Braun Cruzer 6.

#45 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Reading this thread as I go off to shave my face with disposable razors that I despise. I've probably lost more blood from those things than from legitimate injuries. They go dull way too fast.

#46 Edited by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

I own a TT2040 and it is pretty good in my opinion, the shaving is good but of course not like using a razor. The benefit of not using shaving cream or fear of cutting yourself is great though. My problem is that the beardtrimmer does not trim as close as I would like.

#47 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Because we wants to look like an adult.

This is the opposite of true.

#48 Posted by nesagwa (62 posts) -

A pair of scissors and a steady hand.

Those electric gizmos are crutches for the weak minded.

#49 Edited by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (716 posts) -

i wax my balls. why? 'cuz that's how a real man does it!

#50 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic:

I bought some sort of all-in-one beard trimmer from CVS for 20 - 25 dollars a couple of years ago and it still works well for me. Now it doesn't give me a super close cut like a razer would, but it has been a steal for me. With all the different head attachments, it has made managing a goatee and mustache a cinch.