Which Bombcast member do you feel is the most proficient at playing games?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By fobwashed

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fobwashed

Based on basically Quicklooks, TNTs and general whatnots. Just wondering if there's a strong general community consensus on who's the best of the best.

drGiggless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By drGiggless

brad ;_;

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Aegon

Jeff. No question about it. He wouldn't have cast bufu.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McGhee

They're all pretty bad, honestly.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By PhilipDuck

Jeff, but close second Vinny.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I guess it would be a tie between Jeff and Ryan.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WarlordPayne

Vinny beat Demon's Souls and was competent enough to complete and enjoy Dark Souls, so I vote Vinny.

drGiggless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drGiggless

Jeff and Brad's sniper elite quick look was pretty brutal to watch. It was like watching a 90 year old try to figure out how to work the internet.

ludorverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ludorverr

@WarlordPayne said:

Vinny beat Demon's Souls and was competent enough to complete and enjoy Dark Souls, so I vote Vinny.

But Vinny actually never finished Dark Souls.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By captain_clayman

close between vinny and jeff but i think i'll give it to jeff.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By BisonHero

To go all "high school teacher" on this one, if Jeff actually applies himself, he's one of the better gamers on the Bombcast. But it seems he rarely commits himself to practicing/playing-for-fun-so-much-it-might-as-well-be-practicing any game aside from Trackmania 2, and maybe Modern Warfare 2 a few years ago? I can't begin to recount the number of times where he was really pleased with himself when he reviews a game and is winning nonstop for the first couple days, then he becomes immediately discouraged once the community catches up with him and starts to exceed his skill level.

But putting that aside, Vinny seems the most consistently skilled, and willing to take the time to learn how to play a game properly. The irony is that he hardly plays any competitive multiplayer games, so it's hard to judge, but he seems to be quite proficient at the single player games he gets into. I mean, he played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so that's pretty much instant respect. Dave has elements of this too, but for reasons I can't nail down, I don't get the sense that he's notably proficient at playing games.

Brad has his moments with his dedication to Starcraft 2 and whatever skills he retains from his Quake and UT glory days, but he still has far too many moments of being seemingly too confident in his own abilities to be self-critical and actually figure out what he is doing wrong. Patrick and Ryan are even worse at this than Brad, and it's even rarer for them to acknowledge how clueless they are about a game they are Quick Looking - Brad will often readily admit when he doesn't know whether he has something quite right.

Alex just hasn't led enough Quick Looks (especially recently) for me to have any kind of sense of how good he is at games overall.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Jeff and Vinny.

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombieSpace

All of the videogames

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshthebear

Jeff, followed closely by Vinny and Dave.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seedofpower

Dave. I never seen that man fuck up. Granted we barley see him but still.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blannir

Gotta go with Jeff on this one.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Master_Funk

Jeff whoops everyone else pretty regularly when they play local multiplayer, so I'm going with him

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous
@BisonHero said:

To go all "high school teacher" on this one, if Jeff actually applies himself, he's one of the better gamers on the Bombcast. But it seems he rarely commits himself to practicing/playing-for-fun-so-much-it-might-as-well-be-practicing any game aside from Trackmania 2, and maybe Modern Warfare 2 a few years ago? I can't begin to recount the number of times where he was really pleased with himself when he reviews a game and is winning nonstop for the first couple days, then he becomes immediately discouraged once the community catches up with him and starts to exceed his skill level.

But putting that aside, Vinny seems the most consistently skilled, and willing to take the time to learn how to play a game properly. The irony is that he hardly plays any competitive multiplayer games, so it's hard to judge, but he seems to be quite proficient at the single player games he gets into. I mean, he played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so that's pretty much instant respect. Dave has elements of this too, but for reasons I can't nail down, I don't get the sense that he's notably proficient at playing games.

Brad has his moments with his dedication to Starcraft 2 and whatever skills he retains from his Quake and UT glory days, but he still has far too many moments of being seemingly too confident in his own abilities to be self-critical and actually figure out what he is doing wrong. Patrick and Ryan are even worse at this than Brad, and it's even rarer for them to acknowledge how clueless they are about a game they are Quick Looking - Brad will often readily admit when he doesn't know whether he has something quite right.

Alex just hasn't led enough Quick Looks (especially recently) for me to have any kind of sense of how good he is at games overall.

Well, I think this thread is over.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fobwashed

@BisonHero said:

Great breakdown though when I was wondering this, I wasn't as much thinking about the way they apply themselves to becoming excellent at a game and rather sort of an "Who would stand out if they all played a new game for the first time" type of deal as opposed to "who takes the most time to get really good at something". So in your example of Brad's dedication to Starcraft 2, had any of the other members spent as much time as he has playing, would they at that point become a better or worse player than him. Any reasonably competent player can put in more time and get better than someone else at a game but if the time spent playing were equal, who'd stand out?

This isn't explicitly expressed in the initial question but it's sorta what I was asking w/out lengthening out the thing -_-;; I voted for Jeff. Seems like he's the current standout at more than double the current second. Dude can really lay it down imo.

p.s. I threw in Dave and Alex because I know someone would have complained that they weren't listed =P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad. Just not when he has to talk and play at the same time.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Winternet

Since we never see Alex, it's probably him.

But, where is Drew? He's obviously the best one. I think they even said so. Jeff is pretty good overall. Vinny would be too, but he loses point because he can just waste enormous amounts of time. 70 hours on Deus Ex? Looking for every flag on AC2? Ryan is inconsistent, Dave is a bit coward, Patrick I don't know much and Brad . . .well . . let's not talk about that.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By seannao

This was actually really difficult to determine. I went and voted for Dave if only because he seemed to enjoy older games with inscrutably complex game hangups that he just worked around while I feel like a lot of the rest of the crew I either havent seen play enough or *have* seen make really bone-headed decisions in the game in the interest of trying to keep the pace of the video moving and ignoring things that might've seemed obvious.. and then proceeding to complain about it later. haha.

Vinny was a really close second and I just didn't know anything about Alex. Patrick would've been a third place, followed by Jeff, and lastly a toss-up between Ryan and Brad, who've both done some pret-ty silly things at times, moreso than others at least... but hey, it's entertaining.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Jeff or Vinny. I voter Jeff but after seeing some of the reasons for Vinny, I can see how he can be the best too.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

@Soapy86 said:

Brad. Just not when he has to talk and play at the same time.

That. Brad can't really multitask well but when he's trying to play, not talk, he seems really good.

Oherwise, Jeff and/or Vinny. Patrick runs around in circles while talking and just seems to fiddle around in Quick Looks, and Ryan doesn't really seem all that great either.

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Scott757

but what about Drew?

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seesic

I'm going to say Brad, he's pretty good even if he is known for being bad, but Jeff can talk and play pretty well and is really good too.

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scott757

@Fobwashed said:

@BisonHero said:

p.s. I threw in Dave and Alex because I know someone would have complained that they weren't listed =P

LOL Sorry I had to do it

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Shadow

Vinny by a large, large margin. The rest of the guys are good at writing and developing opinions about video games, NOT playing them.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Ironically it's probably Brad when off-camera.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlexW00d

I am pretty sure it's Drew.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uhtaree

Jeff seems to be able to jump into games and pick them up very quickly. Sure he doesn't dedicate himself to mastering the intricacies of games over a long period of time, e.g. Starcraft, but I envy that fast ramp up time and associate it the most with being "good" at games.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By kagato

Vinny gets shit done! How often do you listen to the bombcast and Vinnys played through and finished 3 seperate games in 2 days?!? The guys a machine!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By cornbredx

They are all good at different kinds of games.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By daiphyer

I feel like if Dave did more quick looks, we'd see how competent he really is.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MeierTheRed

I vote for Santa

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#37  Edited By Slag

@BisonHero said:

you nailed it man.

the only thing I would add is that I feel Jeff is the most versatile. I don't think there isn't any genre or gamestyle you can't throw him into and he won't at minimum be competent right away. The guy is a natural. Regularly in Quick Looks I notice that Jeff has the mechanics and world rules figured out before his co-host, especially in the offbeat non-AAA stuff.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InternetCrab

Jeff and Vinny are the best honestly.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By stonyman65

Jeff, Dave, Vinny, Ryan, Alex, Brad, and Patrick in that order.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karl_Boss

Jeff is the best and Ryan is the worst.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AngelN7

Brad! (I'm not kidding he didn't let go the hold button!)

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Philantrophy

I assume it is Jeff but since they can't stay with one game for a long period of time it difficult to answer. Brad seems to be very good in Star Craft 2 and Jeff is pretty good in NFL Blitz, so I think each member of the crew has a game/genre they are really good at.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't really know but I bet Brad is a much better player than his on-camera play would imply.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By onan

Gotta go Brad. Man beat Super Meat Boy and was Diamond league or whatever with starcraft 2. I'd imagine he could kick my ass in all sorts of ways. He's just not good about not dying on camera.

Second would probably be Jeff or Vinny. Vinny pays more attention than Jeff, but Jeff may just be more proficient than Vinny.

I'd probably stick Drew and Alex here, without additional information about their gaming.

Dave only likes certain types of games, but he doesn't seem terribly good at them.

Ryan and Patrick aren't very good at games from what I can tell.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Levius

Drew easily, dude can fly a ac-10 warthog. Doubt any of the rest of the crew would have even tried.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cutyoface

I have always thought Alex.

Avatar image for str8_2_alticity
Str8_2_Alticity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Str8_2_Alticity

Nobody on the crew seems big into competitive gaming which is disappointing to me. I understand that they don't have the time to dedicate to that aspect of a game. Makes it painful to watch TNTs a lot of the time. Ryan playing Super Monday Night Combat was especially cringe-inducing. The TNTs that have the crew playing games they actually care about seem to be the most entertaining for me, whether it be Will Smith playing TF2 or Brad playing StarCraft II.

Anyways, it's hard to pick who is the best. They all have their moments in different genres.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BisonHero

@Str8_2_Alticity

Nobody on the crew seems big into competitive gaming which is disappointing to me. I understand that they don't have the time to dedicate to that aspect of a game. Makes it painful to watch TNTs a lot of the time. Ryan playing Super Monday Night Combat was especially cringe-inducing. The TNTs that have the crew playing games they actually care about seem to be the most entertaining for me, whether it be Will Smith playing TF2 or Brad playing StarCraft II.

Anyways, it's hard to pick who is the best. They all have their moments in different genres.

When that TNT first happened, I thought people were overreacting. Now that I've played the game, wow, yeah, he basically never used any abilities. He pretty much just held down left mouse button the whole time. That's literally the worst you could play Veteran. Even if he just spammed his 3 abilities whenever they cooled down with no regard for tactics, there's at least a slim chance he would've accomplished SOMETHING.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Drew. Out of those choices, I'm going with off-cam Brad.