• 83 results
Posted by DriveupLife (919 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Which book from the Harry Potter series is your personal favorite? (201 votes)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone 6%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 25%
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire 25%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 12%
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 13%
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 13%

I know many of you have read the Harry Potter series. I'm currently starting them all over again and just finished the first book. I've never read the last three, but I intend to do so this time around. Which one is your favorite?

Please refrain from posting spoilers about any of the books in this topic.

#51 Edited by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

What I thought would happen, Chamber of Secrets is still my favorite where most people don't care for the book, that is cool though

#52 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

@randomhero666: I actually didn't even notice it when I wrote that. Definitely no pun intended there :)

Regarding the movies, there's no contest there. Azkaban is the only decent one of the bunch.

#53 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@animasta said:

@dudeglove: that's not the twist most people think of though? I mean most people thought snape wasn't as bad as harry thought at the end of book 6.

I'm not sure which other one there is, aside from the Harry-being-Voldemort balls? That also becomes blatantly obvious by the fifth book

blatantly obvious? well excuse me, mr. master of literary analysis, but I did not.

congrats on being smarter than me? I'm not sure what your point is other than to say that you're too smart for harry potter.

#54 Posted by dudeglove (8276 posts) -

@animasta: I was legitimately asking if there was another twist I'd overlooked.

#55 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

And the context you did it in was being an asshat. Though being an asshat is fine when looking in the face of the reaction to the series; these books are for kids and people who want a bit of fun and literally nothing more.

#56 Posted by dudeglove (8276 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

And the context you did it in was being an asshat. Though being an asshat is fine when looking in the face of the reaction to the series; these books are for kids and people who want a bit of fun and literally nothing more.

The "kids" that read these books when she started writing them have since grown up. If you're going to hurl insults, at least have the good grace to keep to the topic at hand. If you're having trouble keeping track, I've made the following points:

- Azkaban is good enough to be a standalone title.

- Snape 'secretly' being good despite blasting Dumbledore should really not have come as a shock and is kind of overhyped

- The Harry being a Horcrux thing isn't exactly breaking ground either.

As such, I consider the books that feature the latter two points (i.e. the final two tomes that Rowling churned out), to be kind of lame, because they're tropes that have been done to death elsewhere. I agree with you that the series of books are not high art, but arrogantly speaking on the behalf of other people "who want a bit of fun and literally nothing more" doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence that you'll be able to (or even bother to) debate the topic, as trite as it may seem.

#57 Posted by FLStyle (4918 posts) -

I've only read the last one, I should probably read the others.

#58 Posted by leinad44 (537 posts) -

It's been a long time, but I remember really loving Prisoner of Azkaban

#59 Edited by Quarters (1861 posts) -

I've only seen the movies, but out of those, I have to go with Deathly Hallows. I'm a sucker for epicness/endings. Plus, I actually liked all the interpersonal drama during the camping portions.

#60 Posted by Ghostiet (5321 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban. The story is genuinely interesting, it reads nice as a stand-alone, the pacing is pretty good and it isn't saddled with all the relationship bullshit that plagues the latter books - while Rowling is a good writer, her teenage drama is barely readable (which is why I really hated The Half-Blood Prince). The Order of the Phoenix is a close second - I enjoyed reading what is essentially a deconstruction of the previous books, since Harry is, at this point, old enough to understand and be worn out by old the bullshit that happens and basically develops PTSD.

#61 Edited by jsnyder82 (763 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban, both the movie and the book.

@dudeglove said:

Um, no. I'm sorry, but the only asshat here is you. And Animasta for getting all bent out of shape for nothing.

#62 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

The first one? I only read the first three and a half books in the series.

#63 Posted by usedtype (97 posts) -

I liked the third one the most. To be completely honest, though, I've only read the first four. Goblet of Fire killed my enthusiasm for the series. I thought the movie version of that one was better than the book and decided to just stick to the movies from then on.

#64 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

Half Blood Prince. Which just so happens to be the worst of the films imo.

#65 Edited by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

#66 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

i've only read philosophers stone. after which i felt no compulsion to continue the series further, sorry guys.

#67 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban is my personal favorite. I really like Sirius.

#68 Posted by Marokai (3145 posts) -

Order of the Phoenix. I fucking loved hating on Umbridge as I read along, and each new "Educational Decree" always psyched me up for some reason. It was just a great long running fight against authority in that book, and it was where the characters became much more self sufficient, the relationships between the characters solidified, the conflicts really got rolling, and the overall themes of the series really came into their own. It's my favorite of the films, as well.

#69 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5985 posts) -

The one where there's magic.

#70 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

I only read the first four, but that was twelve years ago so I don't remember the specifics of any of them.

#71 Posted by MEATBALL (3475 posts) -

Prisoner of Azkaban for sure.

#72 Edited by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

Half Blood Prince. It was like Sherlock Holmes and Harry Potter combined. It was also the first book I couldn't stop reading and completely drew me in.

ALSO BEST VIDEO ON THE INTERNET:

#73 Posted by Herk (198 posts) -

I only read the first four and it was ages ago, but the 10 year old me liked Goblet of Fire the best!

#74 Edited by MikeJAMoran (29 posts) -

I love Goblet of Fire. It was the first really big one and the structure was quite different due to the Triwizard Tournament.

#75 Posted by PenguinDust (12628 posts) -

@rorie said:

Probably Goblet. Hard to remember why, though. Been a while since I read through them all thoroughly.

This exactly. When I read them, I read them mostly back-to-back and I remember enjoying Goblet of Fire the most at the time. But, honestly, I can't recall why or what story was about. I also remember being disappointed in the movie. The size of the books increased with each subsequent volume but the movies still needed to be around 2 hours so stuff got cut. At the time, I remember that stuff being the most interesting, whatever that stuff was.

#76 Edited by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

I've retroactively stopped liking Harry Potter. I wish it would have ended while I was still younger and had the same standards as I did while reading 1-4.

I'm pretty sure I either liked Goblet or Chamber the most back then. But the last three came too late and didn't do enough. :/

#77 Posted by MB (13095 posts) -

Azkaban. I listened to most of the unabridged audiobooks on various flights, the ones narrated by Jim Dale are fantastic.

#78 Edited by MB (13095 posts) -

Azkaban. I listened to most of the unabridged audiobooks on various flights, the ones narrated by Jim Dale are fantastic.

#79 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

Going to college and being exposed to the number of fangirls has kind of ruined Harry Potter for me, despite having read all of the books. There's only so much obsession I can take before I go "Have you literally read ANY other lengthy fantasy series of the last 20 years?" And then they mention The Hunger Games and I wonder if I'm just talking about literature to the wrong people (I am).

That being said, I think Goblet of Fire was probably the last book in the series I enjoyed without reservation... though I was also like 8.

#80 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

Going to college and being exposed to the number of fangirls has kind of ruined Harry Potter for me, despite having read all of the books. There's only so much obsession I can take before I go "Have you literally read ANY other lengthy fantasy series of the last 20 years?" And then they mention The Hunger Games and I wonder if I'm just talking about literature to the wrong people (I am).

That being said, I think Goblet of Fire was probably the last book in the series I enjoyed without reservation... though I was also like 8. Books 5 and 6 are pretty weak, and while 7 closes the series with some dignity, in retrospect I really hate all of the "chosen one", Harry is a special snowflake BS that the series sort of revolves around.

#81 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2609 posts) -

Either Goblet or Chamber of Secrets.

#84 Edited by kerse (2118 posts) -

I really enjoyed prisoner of azkaban, kinda surprised to see goblet at the top, its the only one I haven't ever finished lol. I get to the end of the quiditch part at the beginning and stop, because the quidich part bored me out of my mind. (ignore those deleted messages, this like triple posted for some reason)

#85 Posted by Marokai (3145 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

That being said, I think Goblet of Fire was probably the last book in the series I enjoyed without reservation... though I was also like 8. Books 5 and 6 are pretty weak, and while 7 closes the series with some dignity, in retrospect I really hate all of the "chosen one", Harry is a special snowflake BS that the series sort of revolves around.

I think it's strange that you would really dislike that element of the series, because that cliche is played with pretty intelligently and it's explained pretty well by the end of the series that all the "chosen one" stuff is just total bullshit that isn't actually real. Voldemort was just crazy and paranoid, and through his own ignorance kept playing out the prophecies that didn't have anything to do with "destiny" at all. Harry ends up having to be the one to kill Voldemort only because Voldemort is the one that insists on killing him, and the final Horcrux thing was a complete accident on Voldemort's part.

I'm curious why you think 5 was pretty weak, though. For reasons I said above I thought that was one of the better turns in the whole series and did a better job setting up everything that would lead to the end of the series better than any of the others.