• 0 results
#1 Posted by FunkSausage (55 posts) -

Mike Tatum disapproves of Hotmail 

http://www.whiskeymedia.com/blog/2009/04/the-iconoclastic-business-problem/

From the Whiskey Media Blog:

"...I often catch myself questioning any engineering job applicant who sends in their resume from a Hotmail account. In the back of mind, I’m thinking…. hmmm, Hotmail….seriously? "

"...I’m now waiting for a cheeky job applicant who applies through Hotmail and points me to their Geocities page for the resume."

If hiring managers are as picky as Mike, I feel doomed. Does the email client a person uses really stand out that much? Hotmail is still the most popular email client, and I'm too concerned about Google's privacy policies to consider the switch to Gmail at the moment. And Yahoo mail is almost as old as Hotmail so would he say the same about a Yahoo email address? From the research I've been doing, these are the top 4 email clients, so what does he expect from a job applicant who isn't using a work or school email address? Like the unemployed dude sending resumes in from the computer at the public library? I'm all for being on top of current technology trends but this just seems silly to me.

#2 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Like what the fuck? 

Jesus christ that's just fucked up. Who the hell cares which email client you use? The only thing they need to take seriously is if your email is something like XXX_Slayer_XXX@hotmail.com or some retarded shit.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I still use my gmail for almost everything, but if I need a paid or professional e-mail address, I use my student e-mail the college gave me. It's just my name @delta.edu, very professional.

#4 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Gmail is fine 

I have a school account but it closes eventually after school's over, so I don't use it much. Think I have a Yahoo account (which totally god-damn sucks, don't use it) and a hotmail account. Of all 4, Gmail is the nicest in my opinion, providing you disable that retarded Buzz stuff.

#5 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

If you use hotmail it's a good indication that you aren't up on current technology. It's like someone showing up to their interview for a fashion designer spot dressed in ratty clothes. It isn't a 100% guarantee that they're not cut out for the position, but it's a good indication. 

#6 Posted by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -

Personally I use gmail. I have my personal email that I use for friends, websites, etc.. And a separate one for small jobs that I do or resumes. It works out really nicely if you have an android phone as well.

#7 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -

hotmail, i think i`m switching to gmail though...

#8 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" If you use hotmail it's a good indication that you aren't up on current technology. It's like someone showing up to their interview for a fashion designer spot dressed in ratty clothes. It isn't a 100% guarantee that they're not cut out for the position, but it's a good indication.  "
How about I just don't want to be bothered to switch to another goddamn email client when they all effectively do the same good job?
#9 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" If you use hotmail it's a good indication that you aren't up on current technology. It's like someone showing up to their interview for a fashion designer spot dressed in ratty clothes. It isn't a 100% guarantee that they're not cut out for the position, but it's a good indication.  "
How about I just don't want to be bothered to switch to another goddamn email client when they all effectively do the same good job? "
Nope, you're old.  Get off the internet old man!  It's for us young hip folks.
#10 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

gmail since that's what my college uses as a mail client.

#11 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:

" @Meteora said:

" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
How about I just don't want to be bothered to switch to another goddamn email client when they all effectively do the same good job? "
Nope, you're old.  Get off the internet old man!  It's for us young hip folks. "
I can never get a break can I? ;-;
#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14053 posts) -

I'm currently using hotmail and it works fine for emailing and integrates with my Live Messenger, but now I'm intrigued. If hotmail is as stuck in the past as some of the posts here suggest then I have to ask what email provider should I switch to and what would be the benefits of making the switch?

#13 Posted by aaron_sK (22 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
"...same good job"? Since when?  

I use gmail because I don't need e-mail for work. If I did, I would purchase a cheapo domain address and at least try to look professional. 
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
not everyone needs current technology for everything. Emailing isnt a big part of my internet time and therefore Hotmail is more than enough for me
#15 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -
#16 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

The best would be an educational one or your own domain.
Gmail is fine. Privacy is over-rated.

#17 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@aaron_sK said:
" @Meteora said:
" @GIVEMEREPLAY said:
"...same good job"? Since when?   I use gmail because I don't need e-mail for work. If I did, I would purchase a cheapo domain address and at least try to look professional.  "
Same good job as in: emailing the damn email. That's all I need a email client for... -_-;;
#18 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I use hotmail, but I think it's crappy. If I cared more about email, I might change it.

#19 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

i've got yahoo and hotmail, both work fine. What kind of moron would judge a person by the e-mail service they use?

#20 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@Ravenousrattler said:
" i've got yahoo and hotmail, both work fine. What kind of moron would judge a person by the e-mail service they use? "
Everyone. Especially if you're applying to a tech or similar position. 

You can find quite a few articles online about how an email account domain is fucking important, as important as spelling in a resume. 

Lowest rank are hotmail, yahoo, aol, netzero, compuserve, or any consumer level ISP. 

second rank are Gmail, university and premium services 

Highest is Professional ISP and services like Blackberry, Verizon or Apple and even your personal website domain's email. 

also, a variant of your name should be the email's account.
#21 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

Gmail dot com.

#22 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (507 posts) -

Gmail, or one of the ones that comes from those free website places.

#23 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1899 posts) -

Everyone uses gmail now, I don't see why you wouldn't?

#24 Edited by DFSVegas (350 posts) -

So I'm more qualified for a job because I use Gmail? That's not superficial... Or retarded.  

Is it possible somebody could have had their email for years, and they don't want to migrate their entire email history to a new client for what amounts to no reason? If somebody actually passed me over for a job for such a reason, I honestly can say I wouldn't want to work for them. 

#25 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I use Gmail and Yahoo. I use a Live (Hotmail) account for all my game related stuff but it is complete trash in comparison to others.

#26 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1899 posts) -
@DFSVegas: I don't think anyone would pass you up for a job for that reason but it might make them think you're slightly less professional. It's nowhere near as bad as having o0Horny_slut0o@website.com as your email though.
#27 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

Gmail.

#28 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

I've had a Hotmail account since 2005; I feel there is no need of a change.

Judgment shouldn't be passed on what type of e-mail client someone uses. I feel that is quite stupid. Sheesh.

#29 Edited by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I think the reason that Hotmail doesn't have a good reputation in the business industry is because of the 90s where kids would have funny ass e-mail address names (i.e. sexybitch@hotmail.com). I suggest using either Yahoo or Gmail and making sure that it's professional by using your real first and last name. Also, you should just register all e-mail addresses.

#30 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i use yahoo for registering websites and stuff, i got about 5000 unread messages or somethin like that on that account, and for actual people i use gmail and it works great, so uh...do what i do. then again i dont know how to get a job, and that seems to be your priority, so probably don't listen to me

#31 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -
@RoyCampbell said:
" I've had a Hotmail account since 2005; I feel there is no need of a change.

Judgment shouldn't be passed on what type of e-mail client someone uses. I feel that is quite stupid. Sheesh. "
You'd be surprised.

I got a gmail account since I became all adult n'stuff, and I recommend everyone else gets one too. Having graduated from hotmail, which has become one of the least user-friendly and most clunky clients I've had to put with, gmail is my new God, and it does have more of a professional air about it on name alone.
#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

I've been using Hotmail for ages.  Most people nowadays use G-Mail if they want to use a free e-mail address.

#33 Posted by xpxTomxqx (138 posts) -

I use hotmail, and I've never had any problem with it. Gmail seems like the better option and I would switch but I hardly ever e-mail.

#34 Posted by Hamst3r (4455 posts) -

I've got a Gmail, a Hotmail and a Yahoo Mail as well as one on my own domain.

I don't judge people based on their email addresses, that's silly. I wait until I've looked up their Myspace and found their gangsta photo. That's when I judge them. :P

#35 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

I use gmail. It's pretty much the best free one.

#36 Posted by iSylence (345 posts) -
@FunkSausage:  I don't know if this has already been pointed out or not, but an email client is actually the term to describe a program which you install on your computer to manage an email account through it rather than through a browser, Microsoft Outlook is an example of an email client.

Anyway to answer your question: I use gmail for my accounts because gmail is awesome, and I use Mozilla Thunderbird for an email client, because it is also awesome. I really love the logo, and the fact that it's called "Thunderbird", which reminds me of Thunderbirds :)
#37 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1106 posts) -

I mainly use Hotmail for IM'ing.

#38 Posted by Jeknod (228 posts) -

Stop being so fucking paranoid and switch to Gmail.

#39 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I've used hotmail since forever. It works so I dont see what the problem is.

#40 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2460 posts) -

Thunderbird

#41 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

I just use Livejournal and link people to it 

j/k

#42 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -

@aol.com   

Ha-hahahahahahahaha!! 

Seriously, though I use Yahoo for social email and Gmail for business email. 

#43 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -
@DFSVegas said:
" So I'm more qualified for a job because I use Gmail? That's not superficial... Or retarded.   Is it possible somebody could have had their email for years, and they don't want to migrate their entire email history to a new client for what amounts to no reason? If somebody actually passed me over for a job for such a reason, I honestly can say I wouldn't want to work for them.  "
If you don't think job hunting is 99% superficial you've never applied for a job. Your entire resume, interview and application is all about the superficial, its how the weed out morons from actual job prospects. i can gurantee you that more resumes get throw out every day because they are over a page in length than you would believe. 
#44 Posted by Remedy25 (131 posts) -

I used to use Yahoo Mail but I've switched to Hotmail and linked my multiple accounts to my Hotmail account. I find Hotmail easier to navigate.

#45 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

A @live account coupled with Windows Live Mail is the best thing I have done in a long time. Easy and painless.

#46 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

gmail/hotmail. I use my gmail for more professional stuff not because its gmail but because it my name not some dumb email name.

#47 Posted by FunkSausage (55 posts) -
@DrFreeman:  Hey, thanks for the correction, so I should label it an "email provider" yes?
#48 Edited by FunkSausage (55 posts) -
@Snapstacle: 

I don't have a personal website. Is it worth it to pay a fee for a website domain and set up an email? How would I go about doing this? I'm not applying to tech positions but I still want to stay as competitive and up-to-date as possible no matter the position I'm applying for. I mean I could always set up a Gmail account but if I can do better I don't see why not. I use T-Mobile but don't have internet access on my phone as I am on a tight budget, I'm sorry for being so noobish about all of this. Or, if I had to choose between Gmail and my university account (I graduated two years ago so I'm not sure it's appropriate anymore), which would you say looks best on the resume?
#49 Posted by Bones8677 (3213 posts) -
@GIVEMEREPLAY: WTF is wrong with Hotmail?
#50 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

gmail works for me. some of your cry too much.