#1 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Like the title says, which one is your favorite? I haven't seen them all (I'm working my way through the ones I have left), but I actually enjoy the original more than most of the others, though Part 3 is one I find special for the fact that it was one of the first horror films I watched when I was a kid (even if it was a basic cable TV edited version).

#3 Posted by me3639 (1837 posts) -

By far the first for scares. I was young and those 80's horror films though seem ridicoulus today, at the time were just creepy. However i do like 7 because Like seeing Jason get his ass kicked. They should have ended the series there.

#4 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1806 posts) -

Never saw 1, 3, or as far as I can remember, Jason Goes to Hell. I've also only seen parts of Jason X. I was actually convinced for awhile that Part 3 didn't even exist because I was never able to find it anywhere, even at places that had literally every other movie in the series.

I think Part VI was my favorite though, because I remember it having a pretty high body count, even by slasher movie standards, and all of the kills were gruesome and/ or creative. That's kind of what made the remake a let-down. None of the kills in that movie were memorable at all.

#5 Posted by SeanFoster (882 posts) -

I like Part IV, VI, Jason X and Freddy vs. Jason.

VI is my overall favorite though.

#6 Posted by madmanmaple89 (64 posts) -

Where is Freddy Vs. Jason!?!?

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@madmanmaple89 said:

Not counting it. It's a crossover.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I'm partial to part 2 myself. Dudes running around with sacks on their heads will always creep me out.

#9 Edited by gaminghooligan (1478 posts) -

*looks around cautiously* It's Jason X.... it's just SO absurd that it has become a tradition for my friends and I to watch it while consuming mass amounts of alcohol.

On real film merits, the first one will always be my favorite all though it is sort of its own movie.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I'm partial to part 2 myself. Dudes running around with sacks on their heads will always creep me out.

True that. Also, the ending of Part 2 continues to baffle me. I can't believe they did that.

#11 Posted by shivermetimbers (787 posts) -

The original 1980 movie for me, though I have a fondness for parts 2-4 as well. You just can't beat Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees. Plus it has a scene where an arrow goes through Kevin Bacon's neck.

#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5401 posts) -

I have always been fond of Jason takes Manhattan, some of the best/funniest deaths. "take your best shot" being the highlight. I also like the one where he smashes a dudes face into a tree with a smiley face carved into it. Jason X has the amazing liquid Nitrogen face death and the fold up bed in Freddy Vs Jason is brilliant.

Oh, and he kills Kelly Rowland!

#13 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The first is easily the best, but Jason X deserves consideration for how batshit insane it is.

#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

Jason X. If only for that one scene where he slams that girl in a sleeping bag up against a tree.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The one with the sleeping bag beating because oh my god the sleeping bag beating was ridiculously funny to me for some reason. I think it was Jason X.

#16 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@me3639 said:

By far the first for scares. I was young and those 80's horror films though seem ridicoulus today, at the time were just creepy.

This! But c'mon, dude...Freddy Vs. Jason was awesome and should be included, even though it's a crossover.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15107 posts) -

The 2009 one is the only one I've ever seen so... I guess that one.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I never seen a single one.

#19 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3215 posts) -

Part VI is a lot of fun.

#20 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

The first one is the only one I even remotely liked.

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

IV is my favorite. VI and the original are after that. Then the rest are just, the rest.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

Jason X. If only for that one scene where he slams that girl in a sleeping bag up against a tree.

@xobballox said:

The one with the sleeping bag beating because oh my god the sleeping bag beating was ridiculously funny to me for some reason. I think it was Jason X.

The sleeping bag death in Jason X is just a reference to the sleeping bag death in Part VII. :P

@Demoskinos said:

The 2009 one is the only one I've ever seen so... I guess that one.

I think the 2009 remake had some good ideas. I liked the way that it took plot elements from a number of the older movies, but I don't think that it really captured what the series was actually about (which is bizarre, considering how simple the movies are).

#23 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@xobballox said:

The sleeping bag death in Jason X is just a reference to the sleeping bag death in Part VII. :P

Heh, Part VII is actually the only one I haven't seen.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5906 posts) -

I don't like horror movies at all and of the 4 I've seen the most recent one was the only one I liked but that was for... other reasons... I guess I just don't see the appeal.

#25 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

I remember watching the original when I was in the process of move into a new house at ten years old and having a strong amount of reverence for it. The other ones aside from part 2 i remember as just cheesy. Though I will say I thoroughly enjoyed Freddy vs Jason and the remake was okay, albeit extremely conventional.

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

Probably Jason Takes Manhattan because the movie is so dumb.

#27 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@madmanmaple89 said:

bull shit.

#28 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

IV, no equal

Now the real question: Zombie Jason?

#29 Posted by WilliamHenry (1206 posts) -

I watched the entire series recently as AMC was airing it practically non stop. None of them are really any good, with the series getting progressively worse as time went on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching them, but that doesn't mean they are any good. Although the opening to Jason Goes to Hell is pretty fantastic. Easily the high point of the series. I was surprised to see that Jason X wasn't as terrible as I remembered, but its an utterly ridiculous movie and I still can't believe it actually got made. I actually think the remake is far better than any of the original films. I saw it when it was in theatres with two friends and it was one of the best times I've ever had at the movies. The remake is the best kind of bad movie. Absolutely hilarious.

#30 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

A guide to the originals for those that can't remember:

1: Jason's Mom one

2: Potato sack head Jason

3: 3D one, first with hockey mask

4: Corey Feldman, Jason dies a little more than usual

5: Impostor Jason

6: Jason comes back (my theory as to when we first see Zombie Jason)

7: Jason vs Fake Carrie

8: Jason rides a boat. And oh yeah he goes to NY for a couple minutes.

9: Jason 'possessing' people, or something, I dunno...

10: Space Jason

#31 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@fisher81 said:

@Hailinel said:

@madmanmaple89 said:

bull shit.

Nope. This poll is 100% Freddy free. Similarly, if I were to poll about A Nightmare on Elm Street, I wouldn't include the movie in that list, either.

@WilliamHenry said:

I watched the entire series recently as AMC was airing it practically non stop. None of them are really any good, with the series getting progressively worse as time went on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching them, but that doesn't mean they are any good. Although the opening to Jason Goes to Hell is pretty fantastic. Easily the high point of the series. I was surprised to see that Jason X wasn't as terrible as I remembered, but its an utterly ridiculous movie and I still can't believe it actually got made. I actually think the remake is far better than any of the original films. I saw it when it was in theatres with two friends and it was one of the best times I've ever had at the movies. The remake is the best kind of bad movie. Absolutely hilarious.

I'll agree that, as far as quality cinema goes, none of them are good enough to rank, but at the same time, I can see their appeal. I personally feel that the first four are the best; they could have easily stopped after the fourth (which was supposed to be the last one) and called it good, because the films that come after become progressively more self-aware and goofy. The hillbilly mother and son in the fifth movie are cartoon characters that make the usual teenage victims look like well-rounded characters with doctorates. It would have been a lot better if they had just dropped those two from the script.

#32 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

No votes for 5. In feel my faith in humanity returning.

#33 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Somewhat related, I just had the misfortune of sitting down and watching Halloween III: Season of the Witch with a friend. That's precious time I'll never get back.

#34 Posted by HistoryInRust (6380 posts) -

@Hailinel: Maybe I haven't seen that one. There's something marvelous about the way he slings it into a tree, holy fuck. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Somewhat related, I just had the misfortune of sitting down and watching Halloween III: Season of the Witch with a friend. That's precious time I'll never get back.

I never saw that one. I heard it was terrible, but at the same time, it being the only non-Michael Myers Halloween makes me kind of want to at some point. (It will be a terrible decision I'll make when I do it, but I can't say I wasn't warned.)

#36 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

2. It had the hottest girl.

#37 Posted by SSully (4276 posts) -

I have to go with Jason X because I still cannot fucking believe that they actually made that film. It is really awful, but honestly they all kind of are. With that said I think its worth watching because it is a hilarious train wreck!

#38 Posted by WilliamHenry (1206 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@TooWalrus said:

I never saw that one. I heard it was terrible, but at the same time, it being the only non-Michael Myers Halloween makes me kind of want to at some point. (It will be a terrible decision I'll make when I do it, but I can't say I wasn't warned.)

All of the Halloween films after the first one are pretty much garbage. H20 is watchable and easily the best sequel, but is still not great.

#39 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Ahhhh, Jason, by far the first one. I love all the films though.

#40 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Part 3

• Introduction of the iconic goalie mask, although I did love that burlap sack
  • The movie keeps a good pace, with very few moments I wanted it to move along
  • Chris is my favorite Friday protagonist
  • The beautiful Vera Sanchez is my second favorite "Friday Girl", and she received a fantastic speargun death

While it's my favorite, I tend to watch 1-4 in a marathon session, rarely watching one of them as a stand alone film.

#41 Posted by hanktherapper (383 posts) -

I watched 1 through 7 on Netflix a few months ago and I have to say Jason Lives is my favorite overall. I think The New Blood has the best third act. It was fun watching Jason get beat up by a girl.

#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5694 posts) -

I've only seen Freddy vs. Jason, and I was 13 or 14. I liked it at the time.

#43 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Jason X

#44 Posted by Shinmaru007 (343 posts) -

I love Jason X purely for how dumb it is. By far the most entertaining Friday the 13th.

#45 Edited by KaneRobot (1789 posts) -

@madmanmaple89 said:

This. Awesome movie. Best fanservice movie I've ever seen. That film was the only elementary school rumor that ever came true for me - still waiting on hoverboards (my friend's uncle had one but couldn't show it to anyone) and Super Mario 6 (which is only out in Japan, according to my friend who has an uncle that works for Nintendo).

The Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash follow up cancelled movie-turned-comic is great as well...although the second FvJvA comic wasn't so great.

#46 Posted by Stonyman65 (2823 posts) -

Part 2 is my favorite, and I personally think it is the best in the series because it was made back when people took it seriously without the all the gimmicky "Jason's back and he's pissed ooooffff!!!" type stuff.

I do love Jason X and Jason takes Manhattan though, just because they are just completely ridiculous (in a good way). Freddy vs Jason is awesome too - and a fun fact about me, Freddy vs Jason was the first R-rated movie I actually saw in theaters.

#47 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

As someone who has not only seen them all multiple times, but also owns them, its hard to pick a favorite(SPOILERS!!!! if you haven't seen them yet.)

• The original is great, and who doesn't want to watch Kevin Bacon get stabbed through the neck?
  • Part 2 establishes Jason as a killer, and the sack on the head is just creepy. Jason is more of a human killer, or a pshyco, mentally disabled guy living in the woods, revenging his mother
  • Part 3 is where he finds the mask, and is better paced than 2. Unfortunately there are a lot of 3D gimmick shots(including one of the worst fake snakes ever). Jason is portrayed as still human, not showing anything supernatural
  • Part 4 holds a special place in the canon of Friday the 13th. Subtitled The Final Friday, it is Ironically the start of a trilogy within the series. It introduces the character of Tommy Jarvis, who is the main protagonist for the next 3 movies. Jason is still(arguably) human. He was hung and received an axe to the forehead, but people have survived worse in real life. At the end of the film though, there is no denying that Jason Voorhees is most definitely deceased.(Bonus points for having both Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman in the cast. Also the return of effects virtuoso Tom Savini)
  • Part 5, The New Beginning, is with out a doubt, my least favorite. Tommy Jarvis is a teen. He obviously suffers from PTSD and possible paranoid schizophrenia. People start dying. Could it be Jason? Could it be the now crazy teenage Tommy Jarvis possessed by the spirit of Jason?.......Nope, just some asshole EMS dude who snapped when his kid was killed......yep, 'nough said
  • Part 6 is where supernatural Jason makes his first appearance. Tommy Jarvis, now a young adult, goes to cremate Jason's body, but ends up resurrecting Jason, Frankenstein style. Jason is now an unstoppable, inhuman juggernaut. Pulling peoples arms off, pushing peoples faces through walls, and taking multiple gunshots without flinching. Also the first mention of Jason's supernatural link to the lake. Thus ends the Jarvis Trilogy
  • Part 7 has several notable elements. Jason meets the first protagonist that can actually fight him, a young psychic named Tina Shepard, who also accidentally revived Jason when trying to resurrect her father from Crystal Lake. Jason's makeup is especially good in this entry. Having spent several years at the bottom of the lake he's VERY rotten, with exposed spine and ribs. Jason also spends the last 10-15 minutes of the movie without his mask, giving some fantastic shots of his full face. This also marks the first appearance of the infamous "Sleeping Bag" scene, which was cut down for theatrical releases. The original shot had him slamming the girl in the bag against the tree several times instead of once
  • Part 8 Jason Takes Manhattan. I'm pretty mixed about this one. Jason gets resurrected by an underwater power line(Ok), climbs onto a boat with a couple of promiscuous teenagers(ok), who just happen to have a hockey mask(.......um...ok), and drifts with their boat to a harbor where another boat is about to leave for New York(apparently Crystal Lake is open to the ocean now........ok...I guess). The ship heading to New York is, of course, loaded with more promiscuous teens, etc..........drugs...sex...Jason.......Ghost of Jason as a boy.......storm...New York Harbor....Jason gets drowned by toxic waste that turns him back into a kid......(not ok)
  • Part 9 almost pulls a New Beginning, seeing as how "Jason" is only in the very start and end of the film. The rest of the film is people possessed by the evil little demon that lives in Jason's mouth, or stomach, or heart, or....something. Bonus points for being really gory, though, especially the unrated version. Also Jason's mask is pulled to Hell by Freddy's glove, foreshadowing Freddy vs. Jason. Freddy had just been "killed" 2 years before, in A Nightmare on Elm St 6
  • Jason X is just fucking crazy. Like drooling and rubbing shit in your hair crazy. Taken seriously its one of the worst movies ever. Not taking it seriously is only way to get through it, honestly
  • Freddy vs. Jason took over 10 years to materialize and was pieced together from 17 different scripts, which had multiple endings. Its no surprise that the end result was so..........lackluster
  • The 2009 re-make was alright at best. Although I liked the Idea of a faster more aggressive Jason, the execution left much to be desired. Then again, being one of the Michael Bay horror remakes, you can't expect much. Just look at what he did to Chainsaw and Nightmare.Asshole

I guess its a three way between IV, VI, and VII, although I basically have 1-9 memorized.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

I finally watched Jason Takes Manhattan in its entirety tonight. Christ, when they finally show his face in that movie, he looks like a surprised muppet. :P