Which LCD TV Do You Have?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm so bogged down with TV's right now. I had my heart set on the 22LG3000. It does everything I want it to: doubles as a computer monitor, HDMI ports, component ports (for Wii), the "game mode" setting looks awesome, decent resolution, in my price range, right size etc. etc. etc.

THEN... I found a forum post on a site with three people suggesting it has a few issues including hissing and a dodgy "stretched" picture. So now I'm back to square fucking one again. :\

So I wondered if anyone has any suggestions - do you have an LCD TV, do you like it, what resolutions does it support, etc.

I'm looking for a screen around 22" that will do my PS3 justice. I currently have a relatively "cheapo" 720p LCD TV but it only has component. My games look great but after playing on a Samsung connected via HDMI I noticed a huge difference so I'm ready to make the change. I'm just fucking stumped because there are so many out there and I don't want to "waste my money".

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

i have a 37" Vizio in my room and a 42" sony bravia up stairs. 

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Qorious

I got a Sony KDL40V4100. I'm hoping next year I can get one of the new Samsungs that have the Touch of Color around the frame. :)

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By 10MP

40 inch bravia

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson
get2sammyb said:
"I'm so bogged down with TV's right now. I had my heart set on the 22LG3000. It does everything I want it to: doubles as a computer monitor, HDMI ports, component ports (for Wii), the "game mode" setting looks awesome, decent resolution, in my price range, right size etc. etc. etc.

THEN... I found a forum post on a site with three people suggesting it has a few issues including hissing and a dodgy "stretched" picture. So now I'm back to square fucking one again. :\

So I wondered if anyone has any suggestions - do you have an LCD TV, do you like it, what resolutions does it support, etc.

I'm looking for a screen around 22" that will do my PS3 justice. I currently have a relatively "cheapo" 720p LCD TV but it only has component. My games look great but after playing on a Samsung connected via HDMI I noticed a huge difference so I'm ready to make the change. I'm just fucking stumped because there are so many out there and I don't want to "waste my money"."

I have an LG 20" monitor that looks the exact same as that (but only DVI and VGA ports) and it works perfectly. Everything looks beautiful on it.

Don't give up just because a few people said it was bad, usually stretched picture can be fixed by changing the aspect ratio etc. SD stuff is the only stuff that will be stretched if you let it be that way, otherwise all the HD stuff will look fine. LG stuff is usually very good quality, so I'd recommend picking it up unless there are tons of complaints all over sites about that TV. Check out the return policy etc, so then if you think there are problems with it like hissing and stretched picture, then return it.

Probably get flamed for this, but Sony Bravia's are not the best UNLESS you spend a lot of money. Do not get the lower end bravia's, because for the same price you can usually get a better TV.

EDIT: Don't shy away from a TV if there are reviews that the speakers aren't very good. Speaker quality on most LCD TV's aren't that great, as it is almost expected that you have some sort of sound system.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
Qorious said:
"I got a Sony KDL40V4100. I'm hoping next year I can get one of the new Samsungs that have the Touch of Color around the frame. :)"
The other model I've been looking at (and have actually seen in action) is the Samsung T220 which has this "Touch Of Color" lark. I think it only oes 720p but apparently 1080p is unnoticeable on this size of monitor anyway. I've seen this monitor in action at a friends house on the PS3 and I remember it looked very vibrant and rich but it doesn't have that enhancer for games the LG monitor had; but then again is cheaper.

LtColJaxson said:
I have an LG 20" monitor that looks the exact same as that (but only DVI and VGA ports) and it works perfectly. Everything looks beautiful on it.

Don't give up just because a few people said it was bad, usually stretched picture can be fixed by changing the aspect ratio etc. SD stuff is the only stuff that will be stretched if you let it be that way, otherwise all the HD stuff will look fine. LG stuff is usually very good quality, so I'd recommend picking it up unless there are tons of complaints all over sites about that TV. Check out the return policy etc, so then if you think there are problems with it like hissing and stretched picture, then return it.

Probably get flamed for this, but Sony Bravia's are not the best UNLESS you spend a lot of money. Do not get the lower end bravia's, because for the same price you can usually get a better TV."
Cheers that reinstates some LG confidence.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK

I just have a cheap 32" Westinghouse. I'm not sure what model to recommend at that size, but Sharp and Sony are supposedly the best LCD TV manufacturers with Samsung not far behind.

get2sammyb said:

"I think it only oes 720p but apparently 1080p is unnoticeable on this size of monitor anyway."
This is true unless you sit very close.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

Grrr do you know what the absolute most annoying thing is - Amazon (and other sites) list the same things about four times, all at different prices and a slight discrepency (spelling?) in the specifications. Or alternatively you find the one you want, see it has all the features you want and then you close the page search for it again and you find a different listing but one that's £50 more expensive. So you decide the one you saw for £50 cheaper must be a "mistake" and can't have the features you want.

This is where online shopping fails - if I was in a real shop I'd be able to see what I was getting and be done with it. Shame you pay a 25% premium for the priveledge.

Argh this is driving me mad.

I'm semi settled on the Samsung T200HD but I'm not buying anything until I go into a store and actually LOOK at what's available.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By oraknabo

Samsung and LG are very close in quality and technology, both have some of the best LCDs out there. Sony's are good too but expensive.

I have a 40 inch 720p LG that is just about perfect. Great ports including a computer vga plug. I've got no problem with stretched images. I occasionally get hissing, but I'm almost certain it is some sort of electrical interference from a portable heater and it's very rare.

If you're looking at tech stuff online I highly recommend looking at newegg.com, most people there know what they're talking about and leave good, thorough comments.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By samcotts
This Samsung. Very nice tv, though small. Perfect size for me, on my desk next to my PC monitor. My PS3 looks great on it at 1080p, the 360 isn't quite as clear though. I use it as a second PC monitor too.
I was going through the same thing as you Sammy earlier this year, and the Samsung hasn't let me down.
Gunner12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gunner12

None,  I hate LCD

Plasma FTW

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Qorious
get2sammyb said:
"Qorious said:
"I got a Sony KDL40V4100. I'm hoping next year I can get one of the new Samsungs that have the Touch of Color around the frame. :)"
The other model I've been looking at (and have actually seen in action) is the Samsung T220 which has this "Touch Of Color" lark. I think it only oes 720p but apparently 1080p is unnoticeable on this size of monitor anyway. I've seen this monitor in action at a friends house on the PS3 and I remember it looked very vibrant and rich but it doesn't have that enhancer for games the LG monitor had; but then again is cheaper.
Are you talking about the 120hz thing? I haven't seen it in action either for games, but I have seen it for movies, and it makes it look like the director is using a normal camcorder to film his movies. I don't like it, so I could careless about that feature. And yes, the TV does produce a very nice picture especially when the Full Color Range for the HDMI is set to full.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-37LG5010-Television-inch-Freeview/dp/B0019XYTTU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230488445&sr=1-16

I rock this one. Very satisfied with LG. Quick refresh, sleek design, crisp picture, all the necessary inputs. Got both my PS3 and 360 hooked in it through HDMI with an extra one to spare. Component for my Wii and a DVI port for my PC if I was so inclined.
The only thing I'd complain about is the ugly, clunky and kind of unresponsive remote controller.
LG have really stepped up their game over the last few years. They're in the position now that I feel Samsung was a few years ago.
Having finally crossed over to being a high quality manufacturer and on their way to being a real big player like Sony or Samsung nowadays.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I`m using a 26" Insignia, which is one of the cheaper brands but works fine and looks great.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I have a 32" Sharp Aquos 720P.  I won it from Safeway! :]

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_

32" Toshiba Regza. Wonderful picture:cost ratio.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Jayge said:
"32" Toshiba Regza. Wonderful picture:cost ratio."
mine too i paid 699 on sale at bestbuy for my 32 inch 1080p samsung.
Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DragoonKain1687

32" Bravia Full HD.

caption
caption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloody americans, I paid over $1100 for my TV. And I considered that cheap! It was over $700 more expensive at another store I was at.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DragoonKain1687
TeflonBilly said:
"Bloody americans, I paid over $1100 for my TV. And I considered that cheap! It was over $700 more expensive at another store I was at."
Im not american, mine costed me $3200 in local money, where the dolars is 3.45 at the moment, so consider that I paid the same as you. Though it bothers me seing all these amazing promotions they have with Full HDs at 700 bucks.
Man living in a shitty country sucks-
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get2sammyb said:
"I'm so bogged down with TV's right now. I had my heart set on the 22LG3000. It does everything I want it to: doubles as a computer monitor, HDMI ports, component ports (for Wii), the "game mode" setting looks awesome, decent resolution, in my price range, right size etc. etc. etc.

I'm looking for a screen around 22" that will do my PS3 justice. I currently have a relatively "cheapo" 720p LCD TV but it only has component. My games look great but after playing on a Samsung connected via HDMI I noticed a huge difference so I'm ready to make the change. I'm just fucking stumped because there are so many out there and I don't want to "waste my money"."
I have that exact TV, the picture is stretched because it's a 16:10 screen, something we'll have endure until sony adds support for it in a future firmware update. The 360 apparently has 16:10 support since the NXE. But other than that, it's contrast ratio is 15000:1 which is insane and you really notice it at 1080p. I'm also going to use this as my monitor for my new PC which i'm building next year and it supports up to 1650x1050 res.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Rowr

Sony Bravia 32Inch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowr said:
"Sony Bravia 32Inch

"
That poor television. Subjected to Attack Of The Clones :(
At least it's not The Phantom Menace.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb
RhombusOfTerror said:
"get2sammyb said:

I have that exact TV, the picture is stretched because it's a 16:10 screen, something we'll have endure until sony adds support for it in a future firmware update. The 360 apparently has 16:10 support since the NXE. But other than that, it's contrast ratio is 15000:1 which is insane and you really notice it at 1080p. I'm also going to use this as my monitor for my new PC which i'm building next year and it supports up to 1650x1050 res."
So you're going to be the one to tell me then - how good is this TV, how good is the picture, sound, everything. Tell me everything about this TV.

Thanks so much for all the comments so far, you've all been a great help!
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

Who needs a TV? Almost nobody uses the speakers (most have an external sound system) or the tuner (most folks use the inputs and a cable/satellite box). A TV without those is just a monitor. I use a 24 inch BenQ G2400WD 1920x1200 monitor for video, and my computer's soundcard for audio. This is the best setup I've ever had.

Oh, 1:1 pixel mapping; contrast is 1000:1 (3000:1 dynamic). Brightness is something like 400 c/m2... though that could be wrong. It is a TN panel, if I'm not mistaken. Cost me around $400 USD (looks like they're as low as $350 USD now -- HIGHLY recommended).

That 15000:1 seems like a dynamic contrast ratio. The actual one is probably closer to 5000:1 or 3000:1... either way that is a nice ratio. You will get a resized image if you plan on doing anything in 1080p like blu-ray movies or PC games since the resolution is only 1680x1050. Also since it stretches the image, it does not support 1:1 pixel mapping... unless RhombusOfTerror is not using a digital input.

Also, don't let anybody tell you that you won't be able to notice any resolution difference between 720 and 1080p on a 22 inch or smaller. That is complete bullshit. Of course it depends on how far you sit from it. I sit about 3 feet away form my monitor and I could easily make out jaggies at 1080p. I don't even think 2560x1600 would alleviate the jaggies.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wolverine

I have a plasma

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By oraknabo
MrKlorox said:
Also, don't let anybody tell you that you won't be able to notice any resolution difference between 720 and 1080p on a 22 inch or smaller. That is complete bullshit.
There is a big difference if the media really is at 1080p, but very few things are truly done at that level of resolution. There is very little noticeable difference between 720p and 1080i though, so if you can get a good deal on a 720p LCD it's worth the savings. I don't have HD cable or a BluRay player, so 360 games are the only thing I really watch at super-high resolution and 720p looks pretty crisp on mine.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get2sammyb said:
"RhombusOfTerror said:
"get2sammyb said:

I have that exact TV, the picture is stretched because it's a 16:10 screen, something we'll have endure until sony adds support for it in a future firmware update. The 360 apparently has 16:10 support since the NXE. But other than that, it's contrast ratio is 15000:1 which is insane and you really notice it at 1080p. I'm also going to use this as my monitor for my new PC which i'm building next year and it supports up to 1650x1050 res."
So you're going to be the one to tell me then - how good is this TV, how good is the picture, sound, everything. Tell me everything about this TV.

Thanks so much for all the comments so far, you've all been a great help!"
It's a damn good TV if you can just take yourself away from the 16:10 stretching which should be sorted if Sony updates it like i said. The stretching is noticeable but easy to live with. The sound is really good, it has the neccessary 3.5 plug for a basic sub system, it even has optical digital for the PS2, 2 PC monitor ports, S-VID etc. The picture is super sharp in HD and the PS3 will render at 1080p and downsize for necessary media formats automatically. The contrast ratio really adds to games and blu-ray. DVD upscaling is pretty fine, though given that it's a 22" you can sort of tell that it can't do much more than it can. You can edit the upscale and settings whilst watching DVD's to suit.  The TV display has a number of custom settings for colour brightness, even a pre-set specifically for gaming. The ONLY downside is the 16:10 aspect ratio, which I doubt WON'T affect PC gaming as it is at 1650x1080 res (max) and most if not all current PC games support a range of resolutions no doubt. But as a console/PC monitor, it's pretty much solid.

I'm sure Sony will address the ratio issue for 16:10 monitors after seeing Microsoft do the same via NXE, Sony even makes 16:10 monitors. If that happens, the display will be letterboxed, so the sides are not cropped. Hopefully, we could see something soon in '09.
brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By brydello

I have a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080p upstairs and a 42" Sharp Aquos 1080p downstairs.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Vlademir

47" 1080p Sony Bravia.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#32  Edited By citizenkane
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

@RhombusOfTerror: Regardless, you're still not getting a 1:1 pixel ratio. And it isn't likely Sony will release updated firmware if they haven't already. The BenQ I mentioned does support 1:1 pixel mapping in all modes, even analog. The only drawback my BenQ has is that it doesn't have component inputs; just an hdmi, dvi, and d-sub (vga), which is fine because you can find a d-sub wii cable. it also has headphone port that only workd with hdmi, but that means it decodes dolby digital (no optical out).

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiggerBomb

I have a 32" Toshiba HDTV and it's beautiful.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By suneku

32 inch Sharp Aquos 1080p. The color is magnificent.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
suneku said:
"32 inch Sharp Aquos 1080p. The color is magnificent."

Funny, 32" seems to be the most popular size for gamers. I guess the size:cost makes it a great steal.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By suneku

For me personally that size is the most largest size that I can carry around because I have to carry it back and forth to my parents house and my apartment during breaks and the summer. My friend had a 27 inch and when I saw that it seemed smaller vertically then my old SDTV so I didn't want a 27inch.

But yeah what you said is probably why most gets a 32, it's a pretty large screen already and there are tons at good prices.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tekmojo

Plasma > LCD

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Driadon

46" Sharp Aquos. Seems that the Sharp brand is rather popular...