• 59 results
#1 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I just thought I would gather some opinions from a like-minded community on the subject of 'Boring major sporting events' and finding which sports you actually cannot stand or just simply cannot get into without breaking your jaw via intense yawning.

Of course, from the get-go - I am expecting a lot of people to come out and say 'we grind in dungeons all day - why do you think we'd watch sport of any kind' but I know there are a few of you out there that indulge in a little bit of televised sporting events.

So yeah, I'm talking about BIG, recognisable sports like Rugby, American Football, Cricket, Football (Soccer) etc.

I'll kick-start things off by declaring that Cricket, for me, is the most boring sport on the planet. Do not get me wrong, I can respect whoever likes it....the game requires the viewer to heavily invest themselves into every aspect of the game, much like various other sports like Snooker and Bowls (which I happen to enjoy watching when relaxed on the sofa) but for some reason - despite valiant efforts - I have tried and failed to get into Cricket at all. It's so jaw-breakingly boring. I really can't see how it appeals to so many people, especially in my home country. 

People say that it's intense, exciting and it's one of those games where you can appreciate the solid effort of every player on the field and can spot the weak links quite blatantly when they're underperforming.......I have never felt anything close to this description, whilst watching a full test....or even the twenty20........I understand the game but, it does not capture my 
 interest whatsoever and I doubt anybody will ever be able to make me see otherwise.

#2 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

Bases Ball.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Premier League Cup, it's just boring compared to Spanish Leagues.

#4 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

I pretty much find every sport boring.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

Golf....obviously...

#6 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

All of them, i like playing sports but i don't like watching them.

#7 Posted by The_Tolman (429 posts) -

Golf, Tennis, and Most Winter Olympic Events that do not require a snowboard or skies.  Being American, I am exposed to very little Cricket, but from the look of it, its not for me. I only enjoy soccer once the world cup comes around.

#8 Edited by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

" Golf....obviously... "  

I'm with golf. 

Also, Nascar to an extent.  I mean, sure it can be exciting... but if nothing exciting is going on, then you're doing whatever while the race is going on, just waiting for something exciting to happen.  What's the fun in that?
#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

the only sport I really like is basketball, to be honest, and I don't watch any of it anyway. I'm not opposed to shooting some hoops from time to time, but...

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I don't find baseball entertaining unless i'm in the stadium. I've been to some Mariners games though and it's pretty fun.

#11 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Golf and Basketball. 

Soccer/Football is a hit or miss.

#12 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Anything to do with golf, baseball, or that "sport" nascar I can't stand.

#13 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

nascar, basketball, and low scoring baseball games

#14 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

I am really surprised by the amount of people who have screamed GOLF in here. Really.

I am a big fan of Golf's Ryder Cup but I doubt I could watch an entire PGA Tour season. I see the whole Europe vs. The States thing very exciting to watch and it's almost as if anything can happen on days like that, despite a particular golfer being in good/crap form in previous rounds and events.

I wouldn't say that Golf is boring...I would just say that it's an aquired taste and should be viewed sparingly.

#15 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

fishing or hunting.

If that counts as a major sporting event.

#16 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Baseball and golf. Baseball is one of those "You need to be here" type of sports for me.

#17 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Golf, most American sports (no offence I just have no god damn clue what a '1st down' is and don't really want to, nor can I stand to sit through some of those never-ending games of baseball), F1, can't really get into Tennis either these days.  

The Ashes, the World Cup, and the Premier League are all I really need. Spanish and Italian football is great too, Champions League final is probably my favourite event of the year.

#18 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" fishing. "
Thread over lmao
#19 Posted by cgoodno (166 posts) -

Pretty much anything but beach volleyball and football/soccer.  While the latter may not always be exciting, it's not overall boring due to pretty much constant movement and having some of the biggest drama queens in professional sports.

#20 Posted by wwfundertaker (1396 posts) -
@Raymayne said:
" Golf, most American sports (no offence I just have no god damn clue what a '1st down' is and don't really want to, nor can I stand to sit through some of those never-ending games of baseball), F1, can't really get into Tennis either these days.   The Ashes, the World Cup, and the Premier League are all I really need. Spanish and Italian football is great too, Champions League final is probably my favourite event of the year. "
Totally agree. I tried to watch American football and it was booorrriiinnng.
#21 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

All of them. 

#22 Edited by C0V3RT (1349 posts) -

I can play golf but watching it is another story.

Soccer/Euro Football also bores the piss out of me. Hockey is just as boring.

#23 Posted by lazyturtle (1227 posts) -

I suppose its a dead even tie with baseball and football (American). Both are tediously slow and boring beyond belief (at least to me). At least with golf events I don't need to pretend to be interested..

#24 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Anything to do with Tennis or Volleyball. I only care for Nascar, NFL, and MLB when awesome races or games are being played.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I am not really into ANY sporting event. 

#26 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Soccer/football, worst sport to watch but its really fun to play.

#27 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -

I rarely find any enjoyment watching baseball or soccer. Save for a few sparse moments (like the end of the World Series or a match or two at the Olympics), they don't provide enough interesting moments to keep me watching.

Formula 1's also pretty dull most of the time, but I keep giving it a chance in the hopes it'll improve. Still miss the days of intense battles between Senna and Prost.

#28 Edited by C0V3RT (1349 posts) -

I am shocked at those calling American football slow...

#29 Edited by hinderk (685 posts) -

I don't really enjoy watching baseball or basketball.

#30 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4281 posts) -

Anything baseball or golf.

#31 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@GoofyGoober said:
" Baseball and golf. Baseball is one of those "You need to be here" type of sports for me. "
#32 Posted by Guyzea (814 posts) -

ALL OF THEM. Except for Drifting and Thrashball.

#33 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

Soccer. What other sport do you play for ties?
#34 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

american football and baseball its honestly awful.

#35 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

NASCAR. I could never get into watching cars go around in a circle for 500 miles.

#36 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" american football and baseball its honestly awful. "
How can you say that about football.  It's the only thing I miss about giving up on cable.
#37 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@FlyingRat said:
" I pretty much find every sport boring. "
This.  I'm such a dork.
#38 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Baseball and soccer

#39 Posted by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

I find NFL games boring. I get really into at the beginning of the season then just sort of wait for the playoffs. (Hey NFL owners, 18 games, baaaaddd idea.) Anyway judging by the amount of Europeans in this thread I'll add that Cricket is boring. I love football also but not Italian football. Too much defense.

#40 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

All 

#41 Posted by myketuna (1651 posts) -

Baseball, Golf, and Nascar. That's about it. I can tolerate most other things.

#42 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@Rockdalf: its slow and uninteresting hockey is much faster and interesting.
#43 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Most any typical stick and ball sport. I just don't get it. I don't get why people cheer for a team, when the people on those teams change constantly. I could see being a big fan of X player and supporting whatever team they play for. I just don't see the point of supporting an organization when you don't have any interest in the people playing for the organization.

#44 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

Baseball. And as of late Football(US), the tv breaks are just too much, it's painfully slow.

#45 Posted by d_breeze (223 posts) -

golf, and if I'm at the stadium baseball is fine otherwise, meh. I'll watch football and basketball with other people to experience the excitement. I'm into soccer though so I'll watch that on my own.
#46 Posted by DaSoul (228 posts) -

Volleyball,its fun to play but so boring to watch.And then some more obvious ones mentioned so many times that im just not gonna bother.

#47 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6287 posts) -

All of them, I sometimes find myself unable to pay attention to the super bowl unless there's money riding on it.

#48 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

Basketball.  Any sport where the main objective occurs at such frequency is incredibly boring to me.

#49 Edited by eternitymemory (153 posts) -

All of them, without a doubt. Baseball and golf are at the top of the boring list, though.

#50 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2560 posts) -

I hate...and I mean despise going to a stadium to watch a baseball or football game.  The games take too long, the seats suck, and for football the weather often sucks.  And, I say this after having had my dad drag me too dozens of baseball and football games.

These days you can watch nearly any sporting event at home in a comfy chair and that seem a whole lot more sane.    I'll watch any sport on TV and going to a hockey or basketball game live is okay -- but I hate watching baseball and football at the stadium.