#1 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

Blankman for the first one

The invisible man for the second one

#3 Edited by NTM (7320 posts) -

I know this is kind of a dumb thread, but I just wanted to say that as cool as these historically ancient masks are, they kind of freak me out. I love them for that though since it brings mystery. I know the Venetian mask below is real, that's called a bauta (or Larva I believe), and it was and I think still is worn during Carneval. The first one, I'm not even sure if that's real or not, but I wanted to put it on there 'cause it strikes the same sort of feelings as the second. Also, I'd like to know if you guys know what these masks are from, what film? I know, I just want to see if you do. I'll give you a hint:

The top one is during a Colosseum battle, which I'm pretty sure just by that hint, anyone would know what film it's from.

The bottom one is from a part of the film that takes place during a secret orgy.

#4 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@Kidavenger: There ya go. Take a look now. I know, I'm sorry, I didn't have it edited yet for an answer or opinion.

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

The first is creepier.

#6 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

First is from Gladiator.  No idea where the second one is from.

Neither is particularly scary unless I saw them coming at me in a dark alley.

#7 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

They both look silly.

#8 Posted by htr10 (331 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

You had a window of literally minutes to make it happen and you nailed it. I salute your efforts, sir.

First one is Gladiator.

#9 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

@NTM: The second one is from Eyes Wide Shut.

#10 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@EvilTwin said:

First is from Gladiator. No idea where the second one is from. Neither is particularly scary unless I saw them coming at me in a dark alley.

@htr10 said:

@Kidavenger said:

You had a window of literally minutes to make it happen and you nailed it. I salute your efforts, sir.

First one is Gladiator.

Yeah, I think that was obvious. I'll wait a little while until someone can get the other one, but if you haven't yet, I do advise you see the other film if you haven't. The film I recommend, I can't even tell you. None of this really matters that much, I know, but still.

#11 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Yep.

#12 Posted by Radio_Resistance (31 posts) -

I wouldn't say the first is creepy, neither the second. I love the first one though... the thing that always draws me to gladiator stuff is the helmets/costumes.

#13 Posted by TobbRobb (4588 posts) -

The first one is scarier, because the other one looks plain silly. I got the urge to chuckle at it.

Really, none of them are especially threatening by themselves. I think the dead gaze of the first one might add to the scary if someone is charging you with a spear.

#14 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I was expecting to see Alex's phallic mask from A Clockwork Orange.

#15 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

If i have to pick one, the bottom one. I think the top one is very nice. Neither of them are scary at all though.

#16 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@TobbRobb: Well, in certain context, the second can be quite scary looking as well, even if it is simultaneously looking goofy. I know that they aren't necessarily scary on their own, but I'm just thinking under certain circumstances.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -
OH GOD NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOO
#18 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

This... is the perfect response to this thread.

As to the original post, I'd say the second one's a little "scarier", but neither one of them is scary in the least bit (to me). I think the mask Abyssfull posted is a hell of a lot scarier *shudders*

#19 Posted by efman (208 posts) -

If a crazy person wears either of the masks and starts doing ill-will towards someone, it becomes instantly creepy. Though, if I had to make a choice, the second looks more messed up, mostly because it doesn't cover the eyes as the first one seems to be doing. As for scary masks, anything in a David Lynch movie.

#20 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@habster3 said:

@Abyssfull said:

This... is the perfect response to this thread.

As to the original post, I'd say the second one's a little "scarier", but neither one of them is scary in the least bit (to me). I think the mask Abyssfull posted is a hell of a lot scarier *shudders*

Funny thing, Alan Cumming which is in this film, is also in the film Eyes Wide Shut, which features the second mask. A little trivia.

#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This!

#22 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

Greatest movie of all time

#23 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Meh, they're not even shot in a murder room

#24 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Top is Gladiator, second is Eyes Wide Shut.

#25 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6295 posts) -

The lack of eyes in first one is more offputting, but both are pretty fuckin creepy....

#26 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -

The first one is from Ridley Scotts Gladiator. The other is from Stanley Kubricks Eyes Wide Shut. I think that's them anyway.

#27 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

Man, you're just reminding me of how much Eyes Wide Shut bummed me out

I really did not enjoy that thing

#28 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

This makes me want to watch Gladiator again.

#29 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

The first mask creeps me out because of one tiny detail. The tear...
#30 Edited by Kraznor (1578 posts) -
May be silly but, I'm looking forward to this film largely due to these masks.

Oliver Stone's Savages in case you were wondering. Crimes become much cooler when committed with creative masks. I cite Heat and The Town as evidence.

#31 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

I think the only mask that has freaked me out even a little bit would have to be that fucking bunny from Donnie Darko.

#32 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
#33 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

The scene in Eyes Wide Shut where you encounter the second mask posted is quite haunting and creepy in general (giant orgy, sacrifices, venetian masks and lots of chanting). Kubrick did a splendid job, shame Nicole Kidman's (her delivery didn't help the actual content) asinine monologues had to spoil an otherwise dreamy masterpiece.

Nothing creepy about the Gladiator one. Intimidating if you were in front of it perhaps, certainly not creep worthy though.

#34 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

The music from the scene involving mask#2 is still a favorite & the only thing I actually kept from the movie soundtrack. Rest of the movie is okay but the surreal sounding chanting is quite atmospheric & unsettling.

#35 Posted by NTM (7320 posts) -

@dabe said:

The scene in Eyes Wide Shut where you encounter the second mask posted is quite haunting and creepy in general (giant orgy, sacrifices, venetian masks and lots of chanting). Kubrick did a splendid job, shame Nicole Kidman's (her delivery didn't help the actual content) asinine monologues had to spoil an otherwise dreamy masterpiece.

Nothing creepy about the Gladiator one. Intimidating if you were in front of it perhaps, certainly not creep worthy though.

Agreed.

#36 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: Uma Thurman is in it? More excited now, actually.