Which of the following anime series do you think is best? (Please don't vote unless you have seen at least 2 of the choices!)

• 154 results
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AltonBrown

I love Trigun.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By uniform

Interesting. I've seen close to this exact same poll on other forums, as these shows are pretty much cream of the crop in terms of popularity, and this is the first I've seen such low results for Evangelion.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By stonyman65

Not a big anime guy, but Cowboy Bebop was my favorite with ghost in the shell a close second.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#54  Edited By wefwefasdf

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are my two favorites. I cannot separate them.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Fallen189
@AltonBrown said:
" I love Trigun. "
VASHU ZA STAMPEDO!
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By august

Bebop is amazing, so is Champloo. GitS is okay. Alchimest seems alright I guess. NGE and Death Note are nauseating pretentious garbage.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SadPatrol

I have only seen Full Metal Alchemist. So I will not vote as per your wish.
djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By djstyles92

Samurai Champloo is my fav on that list, then FMA....the rest I havent seen

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By JJOR64

Out of those my favorite is Cowboy Bebop.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AltonBrown
@Fallen189:  So awesome. Out of these, I'd pick Bebop.

Also, I think K-On is shit.

@AlwaysAngry: You just love to hate things, don't you?
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Noodles

Out of the anime you picked, Cowboy Bebop is by far the best.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By coaxmetal

I went for Bebop, but I would have voted for some others had they been there, like Lain or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (though those could not be more different, aside from being weird)

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By RichardLOlson

Cowboy Bebop.  Just the look and the music alone does it for me.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By RobotHamster

Full metal alchemist or ghost in the shell.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By FlyingRat

I really don't understand all the hatred for Death Note in this thread, in my opinion it's absolutely brilliant. I will agree that it kind of falls apart after L dies. Though the ending is still good i think. But yeah, i voted Death Note. FullMetal would be my second. And the only other i've seen is Cowboy Bebop, so i don't really wanna call that my third, even though it's pretty good.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Im offended you got the "Ghost in the shell" wrong. 

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mutha3

It gladdens my heart that 'evangelion' has so little votes. 

AND cowboy Bebop is number one?

I must say, Giantbomb, I'm impressed.

As other have said, Code Geass is pretty kick ass.  

This show is really weird. Its awful in every conceivable way, with its dumb characters, it manages to topple Death Note in sheer stupidity of convoluted  plans and somehow it hits EVERY single manga/anime cliche along the road.

...Yet I couldn't stop watching it. I have no idea why, but I was thoroughly entertained the entire duration of that show and I soon found myself fist bumbing Zach whenever Lelouch pulled another ridiculously convoluted plan and contradicts his entire character AGAIN. I guess this is really one of those ''so awful, its awesome'' Anime's.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, but out of the rest, Samurai Champloo by far, I love that show.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Cowboy Bebop was neat and  Evangelion had some good parts. The others are crap.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By DarkShaper
  1.  Samurai Champloo  
  2. Cowboy Bebop 
  3. FMA
  4. Death Note
  5. Eva
Haven't seen Ghost in THE Shell. 
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hunkulese
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By cap123

1. Full Metal Alchemist 
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Evangelion 
4. Death Note

i have only seen the movie of ghost in the shell, and only the first episode of samurai champloo. Full metal alchemist is brilliant, i don't know why people are bad mouthing it, are you guys talking about the old series or the new one? since the new one is still going...

Death note was a bad series with an awesome, well written character in it. L was too good for that show, the writer must have stolen him from some other story lol. F

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#73  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Where the hell is pokemon?Or even Digimon?

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By nyuckelhead
@ryanwho said:
"  Death Note kind of sucks after L dies and is only redeemed by the ending. "
this, and cowboy bebop FTW
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#75  Edited By sjschmidt93

A.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@cap123: And Light wasn't a well written character?

@Hunkulese said:

" wrong board 

http://www.animevice.com/ "

That could be said about almost anything posted in Off-Topic.
BassmanPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BassmanPaul

More people need to see Samurai Shamploo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cap123
@FluxWaveZ:  um, not really? he was just a guy who wanted to kill evil people, he was in some pseudo-denial that what he was doing was justice, but it didn't have any real depth in it other that what he said.  I don't think he was a well written character but the way he interacted with L was great, as soon as L died it showed what a boring character light was. 

At the start, before L came in, he was just annoying, he was a dick and i wanted him to just die. That's not bad writing in itself because the audience is emotionally involved and when L comes along we keep watching because we want L to outwit him, but as soon as L dies we're just left with a dick again, but this time the cool guy's dead and some guy we don't really care for saves the day instead... so anti climactic.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@cap123: I guess his initial motivation to rid the world of evil dudes wasn't deeply explored, but it became more and more interesting as his drunkenness with power was more and more evident; especially with his craziness in the last episode.  I guess I liked it more because it was pretty much the first time I saw an anime (or any story, really) being explored by the perspective of the "bad guy".

It was also an interesting juxtaposition of personalities.  I found it extremely interesting when he abandons his Death Note to accomplish his master plan and he reverts back to being the innocent guy of the beginning of the series, and when the plan wraps up and Kira gets "revived".  It shows how much he's changed for the worse with the power he received, what he lost.

But all in all, I suppose a lot was left to be desired.  I liked Near, but like Matt near the end, I didn't really understand them much except for both of them being from the same detective school as L and having their own, simple quirks.  I do think the duality between L and Light was awesome, and I think one of the best parts of the series is when L finally fully realizes that Kira = L, in the rain and he realizes he's about to die.  You could also feel, for the first time, sadness in Light for killing someone.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Semition

Full Metal Alchemist. I watched Cowboy Bebop way too late so I wasn't too impressed by it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Semition said:
" Full Metal Alchemist. I watched Cowboy Bebop way too late so I wasn't too impressed by it. "
I finished the series February of this year and I absolutely loved it.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Semition said:
" Full Metal Alchemist. I watched Cowboy Bebop way too late so I wasn't too impressed by it. "
I finished the series February of this year and I absolutely loved it. "
Now go watch Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. 
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Now go watch Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood.  "
What exactly is that?  Is it just another name for Full Metal Alchemist proper?  Or is it some prequel or sequel ala Naruto Shipuuden or something?
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ZenaxPure

Hmm, I actually like all the choices on the poll, pretty unusual given most polls I've voted on GB >_> 

That said, Death Note is my favorite honestly, it gave a sense of tension I don't get from a whole lot of tv shows.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
What exactly is that?  Is it just another name for Full Metal Alchemist proper?  Or is it some prequel or sequel ala Naruto Shipuuden or something? "
Its the same. But follows the manga MUCH more closely. 
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Bebop for sure. Actually got my gf to start watching it in its entirety and is really enjoying it. After that it's Samurai Champloo.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#88  Edited By Vinchenzo

Where's Trigun you cocksucker? I'll vote Cowboy Bebop I guess...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By FacelessVixen

Out of the list of choices, I only saw NGE and FMA. lol

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By mutha3
@FluxWaveZ said:
What exactly is that?  Is it just another name for Full Metal Alchemist proper?  Or is it some prequel or sequel ala Naruto Shipuuden or something? "
The manga and anime of FMA have two very different storylines. People who watched/read both generally agree that the manga was better.

FMA brotherhood takes the original manga storyline and animates it, if you have the time to watch it I say go for it. Though, I'm much more of manga guy seeing how one chapter takes so much shorter too read then a 20 minute episode.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Capum15

Damn you TC! Hard as hell to choose between Cowboy Bebop and Ghost In The Shell. Both are great. Cowboy Bebop barely makes it above Ghost In The Shell though.

Took me a while to get on board with GitS, but when I did I found out it was a great show. It's a tad slow compared to others, but the story's really interesting. The action scenes are usually awesome when they happen, too.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
Its the same. But follows the manga MUCH more closely.  "
Ah, cool.  I guess I'll watch that instead of the original FMA... eventually.

And sad thing is, I'm sure if K-On was included in the choices it would be leading right now.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#93  Edited By Symphony
@Xeiphyer said:
" No love for Code Geass?! You fool!  Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo I suppose then. "
That would be because Code Geass is crap <3 

Anyways, Ghost in THE Shell gets my vote ;P Though Cowboy Bebop is a classic and close second.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mutha3
@Symphony said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" No love for Code Geass?! You fool!  Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo I suppose then. "
That would be because Code Geass is crap <3 
Strangely addicting, somehow entertaining crap though!
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@mutha3:  I feel like that thread must be created.  I mean, an "Anime vs Manga" one.  I've heard that the manga iteration was better than the original a few times, so it's good to see that they made a new one following the series more closely.  But, generally, I can't stand stills and "reading" when there's a colorful and active counter-part to it that is the anime.  Especially when it's an action anime/manga.  I couldn't imagine reading Cowboy Bebop (if the manga existed) and having the same experience as I had watching the show.
DelayTheSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By DelayTheSun

I love me some Evangelion and GITS but Cowboy Bebop is evergreen.  That show was really really great and remains the only one I'll give to someone as evidence they just might like this stuff. 

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By cap123
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @cap123: I guess his initial motivation to rid the world of evil dudes wasn't deeply explored, but it became more and more interesting as his drunkenness with power was more and more evident; especially with his craziness in the last episode.  I guess I liked it more because it was pretty much the first time I saw an anime (or any story, really) being explored by the perspective of the "bad guy".  It was also an interesting juxtaposition of personalities.  I found it extremely interesting when he abandons his Death Note to accomplish his master plan and he reverts back to being the innocent guy of the beginning of the series, and when the plan wraps up and Kira gets "revived".  It shows how much he's changed for the worse with the power he received, what he lost.  But all in all, I suppose a lot was left to be desired.  I liked Near, but like Matt near the end, I didn't really understand them much except for both of them being from the same detective school as L and having their own, simple quirks.  I do think the duality between L and Light was awesome, and I think one of the best parts of the series is when L finally fully realizes that Kira = L, in the rain and he realizes he's about to die.  You could also feel, for the first time, sadness in Light for killing someone. "

Now i've thought about, perhaps i mistook Light for being a bad character when he's more just a 'simple' one, although i agree he does change a bit towards the end when killing Light. As a simple character he worked well in contrast to L. It was not him that annoyed me so much, but silly writing decisions.  So yeah i take that back. 

For example that bit in the middle where he loses his memory, the whole thing with the business firm? it just seemed like filler! The story didn't move along, it couldn't move along, because there was no way for L to work out the truth, until Light's plan started up again. So it had that feeling of filler, where you know nothing matters, no revelations will take place as long as Light isn't Kira for the time being. It was just frustrating watching L go in completly the wrong direction, knowing full well that he was on the right track a second ago. The moment when the new kira starts talking to his shinigami in the car when everyone's watchin thought, THAT was a great moment  it was like HERE WE GO AGAIN BOIIISSS.. but partly because it was like, finally, we can move on. 

That was a bad decision, as well of of course L dying, and this new character coming along from this bording school that isn't even explained. He could have been a cool character, but only if he came in about 10 episdoes earlier, would it have been so hard to have a few mysterious cameos beforehand? rather than just springing him on us? could of had some remnants of a back story for L, while still keeping him mysterious.

Part of my negativity on it could have been down to the fact that i had just watched Code Geass though. The bad guy is the main character in that too, and it's done better in my opinion. They are both really intelligent school kids who are constantly trying  to double cross people, and both have a weird power, there's quite a few connections but the difference is lelouch in code geass actually has a sense of morality. He is in denial for a while until it starts affecting people he knows, close friends of his die, and he goes through mental stages. Eventually he starts to numb to the deaths, which you think sends him insane and he goes to hitler level of evilness, only for a pretty cool revelation at the end to make you understand if just a little bit that he tried to make up for it. 

ALSO  full metal alchemist brotherhood is the real full metal alchemist, it is a million times better. The first one was manga for the first 20 episodes, then goes off on it's own made up story, Brotherhood is 100% manga and it shows. One of my favourite animes brotherhood, i thought the original was just OK.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ZenaxPure
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @mutha3:  I feel like that thread must be created.  I mean, an "Anime vs Manga" one.  I've heard that the manga iteration was better than the original a few times, so it's good to see that they made a new one following the series more closely.  But, generally, I can't stand stills and "reading" when there's a colorful and active counter-part to it that is the anime.  Especially when it's an action anime/manga.  I couldn't imagine reading Cowboy Bebop (if the manga existed) and having the same experience as I had watching the show. "
Agreed. I own various Manga but regret just about every one I've ever bought. Piracy aside, they cost $7-$10 a pop and I can burn through them in a single night most of the time. Actual anime on the other hand I feel better about buying since it has all that obvious stuff not in manga (music, voice acting, color,  it moves). I'm not saying manga sucks or anything but I personally will always go for the anime version of a series when given the option.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By cap123
@mutha3:  Code Geass is great! Mid way through it sucks a bit, but the start and end are top quality! 
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mutha3
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @mutha3:  I feel like that thread must be created.  I mean, an "Anime vs Manga" one.  I've heard that the manga iteration was better than the original a few times, so it's good to see that they made a new one following the series more closely.  But, generally, I can't stand stills and "reading" when there's a colorful and active counter-part to it that is the anime.  Especially when it's an action anime/manga.  I couldn't imagine reading Cowboy Bebop (if the manga existed) and having the same experience as I had watching the show. "
There are some obvious exceptions like Cowboy Bebop. That just isn't the same experience without the awesome jazzy soundtrack and (mostly) excellent animation.

But most of the time, I feel that anime takes the pacing of a manga and completely throws it into the wind. Something which takes a chapter in a manga gets converted to a full 20 minute episode instead of adjusting it appropriately, this is of course, because most anime is based on serialized work and they need to leave some time for the manga author to catch up. This brings me to my next point: goddamn filler no matter how good an anime may be, if it has filler it'll always be dumb stuff that feels wildly inferior to the regular storyline.

Besides, some authors like Oda(One Piece guy) really do some amazing artwork which only work in manga, speaking of One Piece, that show is so huge that I can't imagine anyone catching up to it through anime that's like  400 episodes(not sure on this)X 20/60= around 125 hours spent watching it!. Time is a huge issue for me as well. I don't get much of it weekly to spend on nerdy shit so I prefer my geek-out time to not be completely absorbed by one thing.