Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) 10 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Which of the following do Smarties fall under? (145 votes)

Candy with chocolate inside 12%
Chocolate with candy coating 59%
What the hell, I thought Smarties were just candy? 28%
This is the type of candy I'm talking about.

My office got into an argument over the classification of Smarties today. A few of us prefer M&Ms over Smarties because M&Ms are more chocolatey tasting, whereas Smarties taste more sugary/like candy. Both have the same make-up: chocolate and candy, but since Smarties have more candy than M&Ms, we believe that they're candies with chocolate inside. The rest of the office does not agree.

#1 Posted by sub_o (837 posts) -

Well, only Smarties have the answer.

#2 Posted by jmk1ng (1 posts) -

Smarties, in addition to being gross, are primarily gross candy with a bit of gross chocolate inside. They taste overwhelmingly of the coating and you can barely taste the chocolate. Therefore they are candy first, and chocolate second.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

Chocolate with a sugar shell. None of this silly 'candy' nonsense.

#4 Edited by CatsAkimbo (601 posts) -

There are smarties with chocolate in them? Everything I know is a lie.

#5 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

@catsakimbo: It's a different candy completely. Made by Nestle and only sold in the UK and Canada (I think)

#6 Edited by cloudnineboya (764 posts) -

Hmm those look very similar to refreshers, lawsuit incoming !!. are they dodgy european sweets?

#7 Posted by spraynardtatum (2605 posts) -

these are smarties. Those other candies are impostors.

#8 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

They don't have those in the US apparently. And that's great, because I love the smarties that we have here.

#9 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

We have that type of Smarties here in Canada, but they're called Rockets. They're exactly the same.

#10 Posted by Omega (829 posts) -

Those Smarties are called Rockets in Canada because of the whole chocolate Smarties thing. If you want to know what Smarties taste like just think about how M&M's taste and then imagine it tasting really really shitty.

America is definitely not missing out. Coffee Crisp is a different story if you haven't had one you are most certainly missing out.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36004 posts) -

Are they white with black feathers, or black with white feathers?

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

This thread blew my mind. Smarties are rockets in Amercia? Say what?

#13 Posted by SeanCoughing (261 posts) -

I hate the U.S. Smarties and it sounds like I'm not missing anything with the U.K. Ones either. Rockets? They figured out a name for that candy that makes even less sense than Smarties.

#14 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

it's sugar coated chocolate, it says on fucking box

#15 Posted by Dalai (6997 posts) -

That's what I love about America. We have our own Smarties and we also have the superior European Smarties, which I guess are M&Ms.

But seriously, the true answer is Reese's Pieces.

#16 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

Smarties have better chocolate than M&Ms, deal with it!

#17 Posted by believer258 (11634 posts) -

@dalai said:

That's what I love about America. We have our own Smarties and we also have the superior European Smarties, which I guess are M&Ms.

But seriously, the true answer is Reese's Pieces.

Oh, God, I fucking love Reese's Pieces. If candy brands suddenly pulled a Demolition Man and only Reese's Pieces were left, I would be a happy man. Just rows and rows and rows of Reese's Pieces and Pepsi Blues.

What the fuck happened to Pepsi Blue, anyway?

#18 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

If there is any chocolate at all it is classed as chocolate.

#19 Posted by Eviternal (192 posts) -

@pepperzz: Just be glad the office argument hasn't escalated...

#20 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

Rockets are bad candy, they look and taste like chalk. Smarties are candy with chocolate inside. Reese's Pieces are chocolate with peanut butter candy around them. It's all very technical.

#21 Edited by thomasnash (539 posts) -

Smarties beat M&Ms because the orange ones are orange chocolate. This is all I have to add.

#22 Edited by Snail (8580 posts) -

If you think the sugary layer is the core of it and the chocolate is just an additive then you are very, very confused.

#23 Posted by Sin4profit (2907 posts) -

The fuck, i thought Smarties were those stacks of flavored chalk that they'd use as filler on Halloween to make it look like you're getting more candy than you were.

I'm well out of the candy loop these days.

#24 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

Smarties (Rockets) gum is really interestingly good.

#25 Posted by Yesiamaduck (899 posts) -

Is this the point where I go 'if the is a US equivalent available it probably tastes like shit because you have really weird guidelines when it comes to chocolate production which results in pretty much all American chocolate tasting horribly artificial and not at all creamy or smooth' hmmmmm?

America is weird, they allow guns but don't allow American chocolate manufactures sell proper chocolate.

#26 Edited by CaLe (3911 posts) -

I don't use the word candy unless I'm talking about candy apples, John Candy or making fun of Americans. Smarties are certainly not candy where I come from. More like chocolate with a sugar-coated shell.

#27 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

Smarties fall into the "tastes like cardboard" camp. Seriously, they fucking suck

#28 Edited by Cameron (595 posts) -

Definitely chocolate with a candy coating. The candy is only there to keep everything from melting together, and for color I guess.

#29 Posted by Gruebacca (499 posts) -

Ah, Smarties (The chalk-flavored mini-wafers) I remember when a particularly delinquent group of boys from my sophomore English class decided to snort powdered Smarties through a one-dollar bill. It was fucking hilarious.

But, in this case, yes. If the inner layer of the candy is made of chocolate, then you refer to it as a chocolate candy with x on the outside. Stupid rules of society.

#30 Edited by Capsicum_Homie (28 posts) -

Chocolate with candy coating that are far inferior to M&M's.

There I said it.

#31 Posted by ichthy (481 posts) -

Calling it candy with chocolate inside would imply that eating the candy without the chocolate would be totally okay as well. I'm pretty sure that would be like eating a handful of sprinkles or some other decorative candy.

#32 Edited by ripelivejam (3538 posts) -

@catsakimbo: havent tried the other kind but this is the best kind of smarties

#33 Edited by TehBuLL (592 posts) -

ugh foreign smarties are the absolute worst. reject m&ms.

#34 Posted by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

I've had foreign Smarties, and I found them rather terrible. Like if a roadside carnival were selling their version of M&Ms. They don't deserve to be classified as either candy or chocolate.

#35 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1524 posts) -

@pepperzz said:

We have that type of Smarties here in Canada, but they're called Rockets. They're exactly the same.

I had no idea any of this was a thing. So America doesn't have chocolate Smarties, and their Smarties are the same thing as Canadian Rockets? Next you're going to tell me not everyone has bagged milk.

#36 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Smarties don't have chocolate in them what the fuck is this bullshit? They're those chalky little disks. They suck.

#37 Posted by solus_impar (73 posts) -

@catsakimbo said:

these are smarties. Those other candies are impostors.

Smarties are the best subpar candies.

#38 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

It says right on the box -- "Candy Coated Milk Chocolate"

#39 Posted by Roomrunner (791 posts) -

If I took anything from this thread, it's that I really want a box of Spree right now.

#40 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

They're mostly chocolate by weight. The shell is very thin, so I classify it as chocolate.

#41 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Smarties are the crack cocaine of candy at halloween kids in my school would crsuh them up and snort them in class.

#42 Posted by Fattony12000 (7049 posts) -

Huh, I bought in several packs of Refreshers to work today.

#43 Posted by Embryonic (143 posts) -

@cubical: Ha, we used to do that with polo mints.